Queen Ingrid (1910-2000)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how was the death of king frederick?
If I remember correctly: It was a cold or flu which developed into pneumonia. This was aggravated by HM's socalled 'smoker's lungs'. (There's a name for this illness today; I'm not sure it was the case in 1972.)

viv

Can someone tell me what the relationship between Q Ingrid and K Olav V of Norway was?

Can someone tell me what the relationship between Q Ingrid and K Olav V of Norway was?

Hi Teia! :flowers:
If you mean: how where they related?
They were both related to Queen Victoria!
As a Swedish princess to begin with, Ingrid was the offspring of a combination of the Swedish Bernadottes ( French, Dutch and German royal blood) and the British-German Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Queen Victoria -Prince Arthur of Connaught- Princess Margaretha of Sweden)

As a Norwegian Prince, Olav - born Prince Alexander of Denmark in 1903 - was a descendant of the Danish King Christian IX (reigned 1863-1906) and of Queen Victoria of GB (his mother was British-born Princess Maud, the daugther of King Edward 7. and his Danish born consort Alexandra).
Olav is accordingly a combination of the Danish Glücksburgs and the British Saxe-Coburg-Gothas, but as you see Olav descended from the Danish Glücksburgs from both parents!

Thus King Olav and Queen Ingrid share common ancestors in Queen Victoria & Prince Albert of GB, they are both her great grand children.
However I'm convinced that on close inspection you'll find a common ancestor in Germany!

viv

I was looking at photos on Google Images of Queen Ingrid and found this lovely photo of her with Prince Nikolai and Count Richard on the occasion of her 90th birthday:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/ce150b8b07328358f241ffaa059a7951/tumblr_mot6iuLGCJ1rvyr7eo1_500.jpg

And whilst I was looking at photos of Ingrid, I came across these:
A young Ingrid looking at a fish bowl ~ Baby Ingrid and her mother, Princess Margaret of Connaught ~ Ingrid with her daughter Princess Margarethe ~ Another one of Queen Ingrid

I think Queen Ingrid looked quite glamorous in her younger days. In her childhood photos, I see some resemblance between her, CP Frederik and Princess Isabella.

Last edited:
When I visited Amalienborg Castle , I saw King Fredrick IX's unchanged Royal Desk with such a lot of black and white pictures of He and his wife and He with his daughters.

I have an unforgettable picture. Queen Anne Marie was not allowed to attend Princess Margarethe's wedding, but She came for Benedikte's Wedding.
My picture shows Queen Anne Marie at the airport in Her Father's arms. He welcomed Her personaly.

Can anyone say, if Queen Ingrid or King Frederik had a favorite daughter?

When I visited Amalienborg Castle , I saw King Fredrick IX's unchanged Royal Desk with such a lot of black and white pictures of He and his wife and He with his daughters.

I have an unforgettable picture. Queen Anne Marie was not allowed to attend Princess Margarethe's wedding, but She came for Benedikte's Wedding.
My picture shows Queen Anne Marie at the airport in Her Father's arms. He welcomed Her personaly.

Why wasn't Queen Anne Marie allowed to go too margarethe wedding

Can anyone say, if Queen Ingrid or King Frederik had a favorite daughter?

That's an interesting question.
I don't think they had a favorite daughter as such. At least not so that it made a difference. Certainly not judging from the obvious close relationship between the three sisters.
However, QMII was very fond indeed of her father, there is plenty of evidence to that. So perhaps you can call her daddy's girl.
Benedikte I understand was, is, very ladylike in every respect just like her mother, so perhaps she was the closest to their mother?
And Anne-Marie, well there are usually advantages in being the youngest...

Why wasn't Queen Anne Marie allowed to go too margarethe wedding

That was after the military coup in Greece, where the junta was at least supported by the older members of the GRF and when the GRF was still in place.
The Danish government basically boycotted Greece and that included the GRF, so the DRF was "strongly advised" not to invite the GRF to QMII and PH's wedding. - An "advise" that was not popular with the DRF!
So in a silent protest and as a way of including the GRF, portraits of King Konstantin and Queen Anne-Marie were placed everywhere.

It took the DRF, or rather QMII, many years to forgive the Greek governments for forcing the GRF to go into exile and it was only within the past fifteen years or so that the DRF finally visited Greece - despite several Danish governments wishes for state visits - but QMII can be very stubborn when she want's to... It lies in the family as you all know. :p

Muhler, are there biographies of Queen Ingrid and King Frederik in English or German?

Thank you Mahler .....realy interesting

Muhler, are there biographies of Queen Ingrid and King Frederik in English or German?

I don't know. :ermm:

Thank you Mahler .....realy interesting

You are welcome. :)

And in all fairness to the Greek governments, I should perhaps point out that the DRF siding with the GRF is perhaps very much influenced by the close family ties.
We can debate endlessly about who was really to blame for the GRF having to go into exile and why.

It took the DRF, or rather QMII, many years to forgive the Greek governments for forcing the GRF to go into exile and it was only within the past fifteen years or so that the DRF finally visited Greece - despite several Danish governments wishes for state visits - but QMII can be very stubborn when she want's to... It lies in the family as you all know. :p
It was only after the GRF was officially welcome in Greece that the DRF also would travel to Greece :flowers:

Good for Daisy! King E VII also believed in solidarity in his "profession" as he called it . He refused to meet King peter of Serbia's ambassador

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Does anyone know a biography (English) of Queen Ingrid? Let me know!

Queen Ingrid was a marvelous person IMO. She was a good loving mother to her three daughters and a very dedicated grandmother . Also a person who always gave the impression she CARED for her family and others, this in a generation where royal women were more distant from their loved ones than it is today. She was always one of my favourite royals and |I think she was genuinely happy in her marriage and life.

A good, loving mother doesn't act the way she did to her father's new wife. A good loving mother doesn't freeze out their grandmother, and yes, a step-grandmother IS a grandmother. I got the impression she was just a very cold, jealous and spiteful person. If she wanted to remember her mother and carry on her legacy, being deliberately cruel and mean wasn't the way to go.

I heard her husband was unfaithful to her - anybody have any news on that?

She lost her mother very unexpectedly when she was ten. She felt betrayed by her father's remarriage. She was a child. They didn't exactly have therapists in those days. It would have been far worse if Louise was the one who was "not kind" to her.

Unfortunately, people are more than one thing, so even with Ingrid making Louise a target of unresolved grief and anger, it doesn't mean she wasn't a wise and loved wife, mother, and grandmother herself.

I have never heard anything about Frederik being unfaithful, much more the opposite — he was very devoted to his family. I am not sure anyone will be able to tell you otherwise.

Did Ingrid have any other reason to dislike her stepmother beyond the fact that she must have seen her as "replacing" her mother? I'm sure that would be reason enough for a 10-year-old, but was Louise unkind to her at all?

No, never - Ingrid seemed very spiteful and jealous. The boys certainly had no issues, on the contrary.

I don't think she was ever unkind to her.
But I think Ingrid had ever right to not like her step-mother, Ingrid was 10 when her mother died and she possible felt that Louise was trying to replace her mother.
Does anyone know if Louise every met Margrethe, Benedikte or Anne-Marie?

:flowers:

No right to take her problems out on an innocent person. I think Margarethe would have even been disgusted with her daughter's behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the many portraits about Queen Ingrid that I have read and seen - and also from what I have heard in the general gossip here in DK, these are traits that I honestly can say I have never heard about her.

While Queen Ingrid no doubt had her flaws, those described by Mumper are not something I have heard said about her.

She was very intelligent, very PR-savvy, no doubt shrewd, perhaps even calculating. It was, I think I can safely say, very much Queen Ingrid who defined the course the DRF went. And that she was very much in charge in regards to her and Frederik IX's little family.
But that's about the worst things I can come up with.

No, there are no reports or gossip I know of that suggest that Frederik IX ever cheated on her. He was indeed a devoted family man.
He sure did have a problem with alcohol and there are hints that they had their share of problems early on in their marriage, combined with Ingrid having to adjust to a different culture and mentality. (Swedish and Danish mentality can be very different!)

In fact she was in her time, and remain today, deeply respected both in regards to her person but also for being a "perfect royal."
And in Southern Jutland in particular she is still remembered fondly.

- That at least describes her time in Denmark.
Whether she was different in Sweden is another matter and if, repeat if, she was, I can think of a number of reasons off hand.
People are rarely mean only to change their personality 180 degrees without very good reasons.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Louise every met Margrethe, Benedikte or Anne-Marie?

:flowers:
They met many times. Ist, as her husband's grandchildren called her, died in 1965 when the three girls were 25, 21 and 19 years old respectively and there were frequent visits between the two families. Especially during the summer when they were only about a two hour trip apart at Fredensborg Palace and Sofiero Palace.
Regarding the relationship between stepmother and stepdaughter, Ingrid's brothers Sigvard and Carl-Johan have said that although cool at the beginning the relationship evolved to become a good one but that they were never close.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom