Queen Ingrid (1910-2000)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I visited Amalienborg Castle I saw the King's Royal Desk. Unchanged it was full of pictures of his wife and daughters. He was a loving husband and a loving Father.

They met many times. Ist, as her husband's grandchildren called her, died in 1965 when the three girls were 25, 21 and 19 years old respectively and there were frequent visits between the two families. Especially during the summer when they were only about a two hour trip apart at Fredensborg Palace and Sofiero Palace.
Regarding the relationship between stepmother and stepdaughter, Ingrid's brothers Sigvard and Carl-Johan have said that although cool at the beginning the relationship evolved to become a good one but that they were never close.

Did Queen Ingrid teach Swedish to her daughters? Since they visited their Swedish relatives regularly, I would assume she did, but I am curious to know.

Very classic.

Around 1950 I'd guess.

A very formal and regal looking photo of the king and queen.

This is an excerpt from the book by Tom Buk-Swienty, which I wish for Christmas and hope to get my hands on. :D

This episode took place in Southern Jutland in July 1948.
Princess Margrethe sat on the passenger seat next to Queen Ingrid, whit her two year old sister, Anne-Marie.
The driver sat on the backseat.
There was of course no seat belts back then.

Queen Ingrid had been one of the first women in Sweden to drive cars and she was fond on driving. (And remained fond of driving with a pretty heavy foot! Also after this accident.)
"While she drove, she tried, as far as I remember, to help Anne-Marie up on my lap and as such didn't pay full attention on the road.
Suddenly a mighty crash was heard.
The next thing I know is that I woke up in a hospitalbed at Sønderborg Hospital (the nearest major hospital back then) with bandages around my head. I didn't feel well. I had a laceration on my chin. It wasn't serious but it was bad enough for there to be blood all over the place."

They had crashed the car a few km from Gråsten Manor.
Queen Ingrid had hurt her knee.
The impact has caused Anne-Marie's face to become a little askew.
The driver was bruised as well and had lost a few teeth.
Princess Margrethe had had a laceration and a concussion.

They were committed to hospital from some days, during which Princess Margrethe was not allowed to read for herself, but a nanny had to read aloud to her. Instead she listened to the broadcasts from the Olympics in London on the wireless.

Queen Ingrid was pretty embarrassed. This accident could really have changed things in regards to the DRF and Denmark!
King Frederik was deeply shocked.

Princess Margrethe did not share her mother's enthusiasm for driving. In fact she got her first car at eighteen in 1958, but it took several years before she acquired a drivers license.
"I wasn't keen on the idea and simply hesitated. (getting the license.) I never became a good driver, on the contrary, I simply wasn't good at it and (I) was an unsure driver and I only drove for a relatively short period of my life."

Anyway, she had the option of drivers.
"So why sit behind the wheel and thinking it wasn't particularly nice and not doing it particularly well. And darn it, when I wasn't especially comfortable with me being a driver it was no wonder that other people weren't either."
- (PH thought being driven from Copenhagen Airport back in 1966 by Princess Margrethe was a frightening experience!)

- The rest of this article is about Joachim, Frederik and two of their friends crashing in a car in France back in 1988. That's an except from the book Under the Beam, that can be found elsewhere on this forum.

"Anne-Marie's face askew"! That does not sound good. But if Queen Ingrid was driving, how could the driver be hurt as well? Unless you mean their chauffeur was riding with them and Ingrid was driving anyway?

Perhaps QM was not keen on driving because she remembered this awful incident?

I would imagine "hospitalized and could have easily killed your own children" would be a bit more than just embarrassing for Queen Ingrid. Did she change the way she drove at all after this?

What is it with Danish heirs to the throne getting in car accidents?

Last edited:
This is an excerpt from the book by Tom Buk-Swienty, which I wish for Christmas and hope to get my hands on. :D

This episode took place in Southern Jutland in July 1948.
Princess Margrethe sat on the passenger seat next to Queen Ingrid, whit her two year old sister, Anne-Marie.
The driver sat on the backseat.
There was of course no seat belts back then.

Queen Ingrid had been one of the first women in Sweden to drive cars and she was fond on driving. (And remained fond of driving with a pretty heavy foot! Also after this accident.)
"While she drove, she tried, as far as I remember, to help Anne-Marie up on my lap and as such didn't pay full attention on the road.
Suddenly a mighty crash was heard.
The next thing I know is that I woke up in a hospitalbed at Sønderborg Hospital (the nearest major hospital back then) with bandages around my head. I didn't feel well. I had a laceration on my chin. It wasn't serious but it was bad enough for there to be blood all over the place."

They had crashed the car a few km from Gråsten Manor.
Queen Ingrid had hurt her knee.
The impact has caused Anne-Marie's face to become a little askew.
The driver was bruised as well and had lost a few teeth.
Princess Margrethe had had a laceration and a concussion.

They were committed to hospital from some days, during which Princess Margrethe was not allowed to read for herself, but a nanny had to read aloud to her. Instead she listened to the broadcasts from the Olympics in London on the wireless.

Queen Ingrid was pretty embarrassed. This accident could really have changed things in regards to the DRF and Denmark!
King Frederik was deeply shocked.

Princess Margrethe did not share her mother's enthusiasm for driving. In fact she got her first car at eighteen in 1958, but it took several years before she acquired a drivers license.
"I wasn't keen on the idea and simply hesitated. (getting the license.) I never became a good driver, on the contrary, I simply wasn't good at it and (I) was an unsure driver and I only drove for a relatively short period of my life."

Anyway, she had the option of drivers.
"So why sit behind the wheel and thinking it wasn't particularly nice and not doing it particularly well. And darn it, when I wasn't especially comfortable with me being a driver it was no wonder that other people weren't either."
- (PH thought being driven from Copenhagen Airport back in 1966 by Princess Margrethe was a frightening experience!)

- The rest of this article is about Joachim, Frederik and two of their friends crashing in a car in France back in 1988. That's an except from the book Under the Beam, that can be found elsewhere on this forum.

Thank you so much Muhler. Thank you very much for your explanation. :flowers:

"Anne-Marie's face askew"! That does not sound good.

Perhaps QM was not keen on driving because she remembered this awful incident?

What is it with Danish heirs to the throne getting in car accidents?

Perhaps. But then she isn't fond of riding either. Perhaps QMII is the archetypical geek who simply can't figure out how to steer, operate or manipulate things? But books, now that's another matter.

I guess Anne-Marie's face was smashed towards the panel. Fortunately she was only two and bones of children that age can recover from the most remarkable impacts.

Let's hope Christian won't inherit his dad's and farbror's fondness for driving fast. - Yeah, I believe in the Toothfairy as well...
But at least cars are so much safer today than they were back in as late as 1988.

Thank you so much Muhler. Thank you very much for your explanation. :flowers:

My pleasure. ?
It really was. This book is getting more and more interesting!

Last edited:
I suppose there's a small bit of humor here in that despite Frederik (IX) doing so very much under the influence of alcohol once upon a time, he somehow managed not to get in a car accident?

Or did he just not let himself be driven by a family member? :cool:

Well, he certainly did drive. At least around the time when he and his mates went to town.
So perhaps he was just lucky.

Even Mary has had a minor traffic accident a few years ago.

She was driving in downtown Copenhagen (the traffic there is insane!) when she bumped into a cyclist (they are even more insane!) who was knocked over. The speed was very low, so nothing really happened.

While Mary was parked by the curb and talking to the cyclist, a parking warden approached, with eyes gleaming red and smiling sardonically no doubt. Mary's car was parked illegally! A catch... :devil:
But Mary's PET officers, who were driving in a car behind hers, explained that they got the situation. Translated: Get lost! :D
- That little detail was reported with barely concealed glee.

The whole incident is described under general news somewhere here on TRF.

Danish Television reports on the death of Queen Ingrid:

Was Queen Ingrid close to her aunt Princess Patricia (later Lady Patricia Ramsay)? I know she was her aunt's bridesmaid as a child, but I don't think I've ever seen pictures of them together as adults. I wonder if Patricia reached out to her niece and nephews much after her sister's death.

I read in this thread about the Duke of Connaught that President William Howard Taft described Patricia as "stolid" and made her sound pretty miserable in her marriage.

I don't think I've ever read any of Ingrid's daughters refer to her, either.

Was Queen Ingrid close to her aunt Princess Patricia (later Lady Patricia Ramsay)? I know she was her aunt's bridesmaid as a child, but I don't think I've ever seen pictures of them together as adults. I wonder if Patricia reached out to her niece and nephews much after her sister's death.

I read in this thread about the Duke of Connaught that President William Howard Taft described Patricia as "stolid" and made her sound pretty miserable in her marriage.

I don't think I've ever read any of Ingrid's daughters refer to her, either.

I asked about Patricia in the thread about QMII's memoirs with Buk-Swenty. I don't think Pat is in the early part, but she does show up somewhere and both Ingrid and Margrethe knew her well. She was also an artist; I imagined that helped.

(Also, was there any reason Ingrid should have been closer to her than to Daisy and Pat's brother Arthur and his wife the Duchess of Fife, for example?)

Last edited:
I don't imagine Ingrid had much time to spend with her uncle Arthur, since he was traveling with the army or posted Govenor General of South Africa when Ingrid was growing up. He died before Ingrid had children.

The only connection with her nearest maternal family (after the Duke of Connaught's death) that I've read about was Alexander Ramsey of Mar and Lady Saltoun attending some of the Danish weddings.

Back
Top Bottom