Prince Valdemar (1858 - 1939), Princess Marie and family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jil

Gentry
City
Xenia
Country
United States
I thought it would be good to start a thread that talked about the Danish Royals from the past.

Does anyone have any info on Prince Aage? Please go to the following link to see a photo of Prince Aage:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y138/loejil/Denmark%20Royal%20Family/?action=view&current=PrinceAageofDenmark.jpg

Can anyone tell me what type of uniform he is wearing? I have never seen that type of hat before on anyone. This prince was handsome. This photo is on an old postcard that I bought for my Royalty postcard collection. I would like any info on this royal. Thank you!

You're right Jil, he was very handsome. Do you know who his parents were? That would help in my search for info.

I just found this info, but it probably isn't what you're looking for.

Prince Aage Christian Alexander Robert of Denmark, Greve af Rosenborg (1887-1940), eldest son of Prince Valdemar of Denmark, grandson of Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), was married to Mathilde Emile Francesca Marie Calvi dei Conti di Bergolo (1885-1949).

And this is a picture of the man I'm referring to.
He is standing third from the left.

coronation01a.jpg

Last edited:
Prince Aage Christian Alexander Robert, born at Det Gule Palais, Copenhagen 10 June 1887; died at Taza, Morocco 29 Feb 1940, Kt Orders of the Elephant, the Black Eagle, the Seraphim, Gd Cross Orders of the Redeemer, the Crown of the Wends (with Crown) of Mecklenburg, the Red Eagle of Prussia, the Royal Victorian Order, Kt of the Legion of Honour, etc, renounced his rights of succession for himself and his descendants along with the title of Prince of Denmark and the qualification of Royal Highness and took the style HH Prince Aage, Count af Rosenborg 5 Feb 1914, Capt Danish Royal Guard, served as Cmdr 1st Regt French Foreign Legion 1923 - 1940, author of "My Life in the Foreign Legion"; marriedat Turin 1 Feb 1914, Mathilde Emilie Francisca Maria (bornat Buenos Aires 17 Sept 1885; diedat Copenhagen 16 Oct 1949), dau of Giorgio Lorenzo Calvi, Count di Bergolo (brother of Count Giorgio, husband of Princess Jolanda of Savoy) and Baroness Ana Guidobono Cavalchini Roero San Severino, and had issue.

Thanks Layla for the info and photo. Who are the other people in the photo you posted? Is the uniform that Prince Aage is wearing in my photo that of the Foreign Legion?

The photo was taken at the coronation of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) of Thailand at Dusit Palace, December 1911.

The European Monarchs sent represenatives to the coronation of King Rama VI. The king made many friends when he studied in England, and in having to represent his father, King Rama V, on many royal occassions in Europe. Another significant occassion when many European Royals gathered in Thailand was for the 200th-year celebration of Bangkok, in 1982.

The people in the photo, from left to right standing are,
1) Prince Axel Christian Georg of Denmark (188:cool:, second son of Prince Valdemar of Denmark, grandson of Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), was married to Princess Margaretha Sofia Lovisa Ingeborg of Sweden (1899-1977).

2) Prince Fushimi-no-Miya of Japan (Prince Fushimi Sadanaru, 22nd Prince Fushimi-no-Miya) (1858-1923). The Fushimi-no-Miya is one of the four branch houses of the imperial dynasty entitled to provide a successor to the throne.

3) Prince Aage Christian Alexander Robert of Denmark, Greve af Rosenborg (1887-1940), eldest son of Prince Valdemar of Denmark, grandson of Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), was married to Mathilde Emile Francesca Marie Calvi dei Conti di Bergolo (1885-1949).

4) Prince Erik Frederik Christian Alexander of Denmark (1890- ), third son of Prince Valdemar of Denmark, grandson of Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), was married to Loïs Frances Booth (1897-1941) in Ottawa, Ontario, in 1924, divorced in 1937.

And seated left to right,

5) Prince Alexander of Teck (Alexander Cambridge, 1st Earl of Athlone) (1874-1957), son of Francis, Duke of Teck and his wife, Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, and youngest brother of Queen Mary, consort of King George V of Great Britain, married to Princess Alice of Albany.

6) Grand Duke Boris Vladimirovich of Russia (1877-1943), son of Grand Duke Vladimir ROMANOV and Grand Duchess Marie PAVLOVNA, and grandson of Tsar Alexander II of Russia, married to Zenaida RASHEVSKA. 7) Princess Maries of Sweden (Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna of Russia) (1890-1958), daughter of Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovich of Russia and Princess Alexandra of Greece and Denmark, and grand daughter of Tsar of Russia Alexander II Nicholaievitch, was married to Prince Vilhelm of Sweden.8) Princess Alexander of Teck (Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone) (1883-1981), daughter of Prince Leopold of Great Britain and Ireland and Princess Helene zu Waldeck und Pyrmont, and granddaughter of Queen Victoria, married to Prince Alexander of Teck.

9) Prince Valdemar of Denmark (1858-1939), son of Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906) and Luise, Princess of Hesse-Cassel (1817-1898), youngest brother of Frederik VIII, King of Denmark (1843-1912), was married to Princess Marie Amélie Françoise Hélène d'Orléans (1865-1909).

10) Prince Vilhelm of Sweden (1884-1965), son of King Gustaf V Adolf of Sweden and Princess Victoria von Baden, was married to Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna of Russia (ended in divorce). They had one son, Count Lennart Bernadotte af Wisborg.

I wrote in my previous post that Prince Aage was satanding on the far left, he is actually standing third from the left, sorry I didn't say it right the first time, and I'll correct my earlier post.

As for the uniform, I'm not sure, I've never seen a foreign legion uniform before, but I can find a picture somewhere.

How Do you pronounce his name this is a great idea for a thread :)

Royal Fan said:
How Do you pronounce his name this is a great idea for a thread :)
If you say 'I owe you something' you take the word 'owe' and stretch the o a little bit before the w and then pronounce the e as an open 'eh' (as it isn't pronounced at all when you say 'owe'), then you got Aage, (or Åge as it's written these days.)

ooweh

It's a great idea this thread, I've been wondering why we know so little about Queen Alexandrine since she isn't that far back in history, only one generation before Queen Ingrid.

Scroll down this list to Frederik 8 and you will find the picture looks pretty much like 'Roi de Danemark' as it's shown above. He was quite a traveller, in fact he died in Hamburg, Germany.

http://www.fortidensjelling.dk/jelling10.htm

Thanks Layla for the info and photo. Who are the other people in the photo you posted? Is the uniform that Prince Aage is wearing in my photo that of the Foreign Legion?

i think he is wearing the uniform of lieutenant in the danish royal army

Full Name: Valdemar of Denmark

Born: 27 October 1858 at Bernstroff Castle, Copenhagen, Denmark

Died: 14 January 1939 at the Yellow Palace, Copenhagen, Denmark

Father: King Christian IX of Denmark (1818-1906)

Mother: Princess Louise of Hesse-Kassel (1817-1898)

Siblings: King Frederik VIII of Denmark, Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom, King George I of Greece, Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, Crown Princess Thyra of Hanover.

Spouse: Princess Marie Amèlie Françoise Hélène de Orlèans (b 13 January 1865). Married 20 October 1885 (religious ceremony was held October 22) in France.

Children:
Prince Aage (June 1887-February 1940)
Prince Axel (August 1888-July 1946)
Prince Erik (Nov. 1890-Sept. 1950)
Prince Viggo (Dec. 1893-January 1970)
Princess Margrethe (Sept. 1895-Sept. 1992).

Trivia: Princess Margrethe was the mother of Queen Anna of Romania.

Now that I have all that, does anyone know if Valdemar had any other names, and if so, what were they? It seems odd to see him with just the one name when all his siblings had a string of names...

Layla , thanks fot this never seen picture
To me the first princess sitting is Margaretha of Danemark, Prince Aage's younger sister ? Why were the Teck-Cambridge on this picture ? Thanks for answer

i think they were all there to represent their country at the king of thai coronation the prince and princess vilhem represent sweden and the princes and princess of denmark represent denmark and he english princes represent england

Countess Ruth of Rosenborg died on 25 July, aged 85. She was the widow of the late Count Flemming of Rosenborg, born Prince Flemming of Denmark (son of Prince Axel, himself son of Prince Waldemar and Princess Marie, and his wife Princess Margaretha).

Prince Valdemar was a convivial sailor prince who turned down a few offers of thrones in other countries (Bulgaria was one I believe). He was very close to his nephew Prince George of Greece (Greek Georgie I think). I would not mention this but have gotten some very sinister undertones from those who talk about the relationship of these two, in the sense that their relationship may have been somewhat romantic. I am going from what I read in the bio of Greek Georgie's wife Marie Bonaparte and other reading and documentaries.

He was very close to his nephew Prince George of Greece (Greek Georgie I think). I would not mention this but have gotten some very sinister undertones from those who talk about the relationship of these two, in the sense that their relationship may have been somewhat romantic.

Theirs was a strange relationship! I'm not sure whether there is any 'proof' so to speak! However if you get the impression that something unusual was going on nobody who's familiar with DRF history will blame you!. - Even Queen Margrethe once hinted in a documentary that 'they were very, very close friends'.

We may think about this whatever we like; I have decided to ragard it as one of the oddities of life!

viv

Theirs was a strange relationship! I'm not sure whether there is any 'proof' so to speak! However if you get the impression that something unusual was going on nobody who's familiar with DRF history will blame you!. - Even Queen Margrethe once hinted in a documentary that 'they were very, very close friends'.

We may think about this whatever we like; I have decided to ragard it as one of the oddities of life!

viv

It was known to everyone that they had a "romantic" relationship. Even Maria Bonaparte, Princess George understood it! She often wrote that when Prince George was with Uncle Valdemar, they both seem radiant! and when they had to separate (Prince George should go back to Greece), it was every year dramatical!

Personally I found disgusting! When they started Prince George was 16y old and Valdemar's nephew!! Valdemar was 11 years older. Consequently it was an incestious, and pedophilic action! between an man and a young boy!

Last edited:
It was known to everyone that they had a "romantic" relationship. Even Maria Bonaparte, Princess George understood it! She often wrote that when Prince George was with Uncle Valdemar, they both seem radiant! and when they had to separate (Prince George should go back to Greece), it was every year dramatical!

Personally I found disgusting! It is incestious, and pedophilic action! When they started Prince George was 16y old and Valdemar's nephew!!
They obviously had a long-term, loving relationship which was supported by Prince George's wife Marie Bonaparte financially as well as emotionally.
If she - a fascinating and highly intelligent woman whose biography is worth exploring - didn't judge otherwise, why should anyone else.

They obviously had a long-term, loving relationship which was supported by Prince George's wife Marie Bonaparte financially as well as emotionally.
If she - a fascinating and highly intelligent woman whose biography is worth exploring - didn't judge otherwise, why should anyone else.

Because some acts inside the royal families and the high power people at this time were accepted in a different way than they would be judged today. At this time this story was "normal" for now NOT!

A Diana-Charles-Camilla story, if happened 100 years ago, would never have provoked any reaction of the then "Diana" and the story would have continued for years without never becoming public.

And do you think than the Dominique-Strauss Khan of 100 years ago would have been accused by the maid... Never!

On the other hand, if you know the story of the Lost Prince John of England, it is a very sad story, which would not happen now!

Consequentrly I judge this story with my mind of today and my own opinion.

Last edited:

Personally I found disgusting! When they started Prince George was 16y old and Valdemar's nephew!! Valdemar was 11 years older. Consequently it was an incestious, and pedophilic action! between an man and a young boy!
In most places a 16 yr old would be of the age of consent. We also don't know at what time the relationship moved from emotional to sexual. We don't know for sure if it ever did become sexual, so calling Valdemar an incestuous pedophile is a pretty extreme claim.

Anyone know anything about Prince Mario Max Leppe? What is he all about? I was just wondering since I saw him on this program the other day looking for his perfect match. Millionaire Matchmaker is not where I would have expected to see a prince. Was he serious? His father is Prince Valdemar or Waldemar. Can anyone give me some insight?

Last edited:
Prince Mario Max's stepfather/adoptive father is Prince Waldemar of Schaumburg-Lippe, the son of Princes Feodora of Denmark (daughter of Frederik VIII).

There is more information about Mario Max's comings and goings in the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/princely-house-of-schaumburg-lippe-13196.html thread, located in the German forum.

He is not blood/closely related to the Prince Valdemar that this thread is about though. Valdemar was his stepfather/adoptive father's mother's uncle.

Prince Valdemar was still invited at the France /Orléans weddings. There is a narrow relationship between his children and Princess Chantal de S de S youngest girl of the Comte and the Comtesse de Paris.

Prince Michel of Bourbon Parme sold letters of Marie de Guise, Princess Valdemar of Denmark to her relatives (Royal families from GB, Russia , Greece, Denmark etc..) and also pictures (part of her 4000)

The Auction was on Monday 28 th of April at Drouot/Paris the whole day.

Prince Michel's Children did not know about and went to Court to avoid that this historical letters would be sold to customers all around the world.

Half of the letters are cancelled and will be unsold. The Auction is only in the afternoon. (half day)
I have the very interesting catalogue .

Thanks to the young Generation of Bourbon Parme !

No interest in real royal letters with their Royal Monograms and great handwriting ?.
Queen Alexandra of GB , Tsarina of Russia and others wrote in French.

Prince Michel is Princess Magrethe of Denmark's Son, and Princess Marie's Grandson as
She married Prince René of Boubon Parme.
He sold 3000 letters and 4000 pictures of his Grandmother in an Auction next Monday.
The Auction is shortened , I have the Catalogue and am wondering to see which items her great grandchildren refused to be sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some part of her letters are printed and in letters to Prince Valdemar she asked for forgiveness ...
Thanks Lee Z for your post.

Great lost for the Commissaire Priseur Coutau Begarie. The pictures albums were evaluated 10.000 between 15.000 euros each.

Last edited by a moderator:
In most places a 16 yr old would be of the age of consent. We also don't know at what time the relationship moved from emotional to sexual. We don't know for sure if it ever did become sexual, so calling Valdemar an incestuous pedophile is a pretty extreme claim.

I'sorry but i do not think that 16 y old, at this period in Europe, it was the age of consent, and even if it was, matter could not be applied in such a close family relation, i.e. between an uncle and his nephew! It was his brother's kid!

I'sorry but i do not think that 16 y old, at this period in Europe, it was the age of consent, and even if it was, matter could not be applied in such a close family relation, i.e. between an uncle and his nephew! It was his brother's kid!

Actually at the time all homosexual relationships were illegal. Age of consent between hetersexual relations didnt exist in some countries and in those that it did it may have been as young as twelve. Also there are several examples of uncle niece marriages hopefully you judge them the same way.

Among the cancelled letters they were very private letters from Princess Marie to Prince Valdemar. Pathetic . Princess Marie of Greece also knew nothing about this relationship. I wrote her book, she knew it when she was pregnant!

I have the Coutau Begarie 's catalogue . His Expert Cyrille Boulay scanned a lot of her letters from and to Royals of that time with the nickname Sacha, Nicky, Alix, Minny (Dagmar) Amama, Apapa, Bertie and May, Gorggy( friend of Valdemar). Great Work !

Shame on Prince Michel de Bourbon Parme who said nothing to his Children.

This Auction of to day, who should have been very important ,lost +/-300 items.
I made an order for two small "miniatures" I don't know if I will have it.
It is for to-morrow ,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom