Prince Georg and Anne Bowes-Lyon

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalnel

Serene Highness
City
City
Country
United States
Why didn't Georg of Denmark lose his title when he married Anne Bowes-Lyon? Even though she was of a noble British family, I'd think it would have been an unequal marriage...

Supposedly it was because Elizabeth The Queen Mother was a Bowes Lyon , and if a Bowes Lyon was good enough for the King of GB they should be good enough for a minor Danish prince. In short the Danish court did not want to offend the British monarch and his consort.

I do wonder what title their children would have received had they had any. Would they be HH and prince or princess like their father or would they have been made count or countess of Rosenberg? How far in descent from the crown can the princely titles go in Denmark?

Supposedly it was because Elizabeth The Queen Mother was a Bowes Lyon , and if a Bowes Lyon was good enough for the King of GB they should be good enough for a minor Danish prince. In short the Danish court did not want to offend the British monarch and his consort.
This is what I have read too!

I do wonder what title their children would have received had they had any. Would they be HH and prince or princess like their father or would they have been made count or countess of Rosenberg? How far in descent from the crown can the princely titles go in Denmark?

IMO the matter would have been resolved by King Frederik IX, however my best bet is that the children would have been HH princes and princesses! Otherwise it would have been an issue with the British RF:)! The Rosenborg-title was out of he question, it was used for those who entered unequal marriages.

Viv

Did princess Anne divorce from Lady Anson and Lord Patrick Lichfield 's father or was she a widow ?

Princess Anne of Denmark (4 December 1917 – 26 September 1980) was the mother of royal photographer, Patrick Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield and cousin of Queen Elizabeth II.

Born Anne Ferelith Fenella Bowes-Lyon in Washington D.C. in 1917, she was the daughter of Hon. John Herbert Bowes-Lyon (a son of the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne and a brother of the future Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother) and his wife, the Hon. Fenella (a daughter of the 21st Baron Clinton).

On 28 April 1938, Anne married Thomas Anson. Thomas held the courtesy title of Viscount Anson and Anne was styled Viscountess Anson upon her marriage and they had two children:
  • (Thomas) Patrick John Anson (25 April 1939 – 11 November 2005), later the 5th Earl of Lichfield.
  • The Lady. Elizabeth Georgiana Anson (b. 7 June 1941), married Sir Geoffrey Shakerley, 6th Bt.
Anne and Thomas were divorced in 1948 and she subsequently married Prince George Valdemar of Denmark (a great-grandson of both Christian IX of Denmark and Oscar II of Sweden and Norway) on 16 September 1950 at Glamis Castle and became Princess Anne of Denmark. Anne died in 1980, aged 62, in London, of a myocardial infarction.

:flowers:

Lutmutqueen , thanks a lot for the informations I didn't know. M-O.

So Prince Georg was a cousin of Elizabeth II as well correct

So Prince Georg was a cousin of Elizabeth II as well correct

Anne Bowes - Lyon was Queen Elizabeth; the Queen Mothers neice. :flowers:
Queen Elizabeth was sister to Anne's father. :)
So he's a not real relation of the present queen but was in a way a nephew by marriage for the Queen Mother. :p

Well, a real relation between Prince Georg and Queen Elizabeth II exist, since both them descend from King Christian IX of Denmark, being in this way second cousins once removed.
Christian IX - Alexandra - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II
Christian IX - Waldemar - Axel - Georg

Well, a real relation between Prince Georg and Queen Elizabeth II exist, since both them descend from King Christian IX of Denmark, being in this way second cousins once removed.
Christian IX - Alexandra - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II
Christian IX - Waldemar - Axel - Georg

Okay second cousins once removed, but not an immediate relation. :p

No, not very immediate, you're right...

Did Georg & Anne play an active role in Danish life? I understand he lived abroad for a number of years as a military attache in Paris & London, but what was his career after he returned to Denmark. Did he have private wealth or receive a state income or did he earn other income such as a corporate director? Where did they live in Denmark?

Can I just say that I love the name Fenalla. I don't know why but I do. Its sounds so aristocratic with the appropriate hyphenated English (or in this case Scottish) name.

Did Georg & Anne play an active role in Danish life? I understand he lived abroad for a number of years as a military attache in Paris & London, but what was his career after he returned to Denmark. Did he have private wealth or receive a state income or did he earn other income such as a corporate director? Where did they live in Denmark?

They attended the occasional royal event along with other members of the DRF branch. They spent most of their time abroad, and I don't know where their Danish home was, maybe it was an apartment in a wing of the 'lesser' royal palaces. I'm 99.9 % percent convinced that Georg didn't receive any state income apart from the one as a career officer! And If I may brag a little:): I once met Prince Georg briefly in the capacity of my job back then. He was a very kind and polite man.

Viv

I don't think Georg lost any status when he married Anne. It was a fully approved marriage, probably due to Anne's status as the niece of Queen Elizabeth.

Their marriage was considered dynastic and there's no doubt about that. She enjoyed the title of Princess of (af) Denmark and was considered a member of the Royal House. But I meant the changes of law from 1953 that limited succession to the throne to the descendants of Christian X. Since then, Prince Georg and other minor members of the Danish royal house, including the Greek royals, were no longer potential heirs to the throne. As such, they became princes af (which we can translate as of), not til (which means literally to) Denmark. I think the afs have no official status within the realm.

I don't think Georg lost any status when he married Anne. It was a fully approved marriage, probably due to Anne's status as the niece of Queen Elizabeth.

By 1950 standards a Danish Prince marrying a bride of non- royal descent and a divorcee at that would have been demoted to 'count of Rosenborg', especially when he was not in line of succession!
The story goes ( I picked it up on another royalty forum several years ago! ) - that on hearing this, King George VI said something along the lines that ' if a Bowes-Lyon is good enough for me a Bowes-Lyon is good enough for a Danish prince'.

I cannot guarantee the veracity of the King's remark but it sounds credible IMO, also considering the often firm will of his consort! I just cannot imagine that Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother) would ever accept her niece being reduced to a mere 'countess' in a continental royal family.

Viv

Prince George Valdemar of Denmark

I am wondering about Prince George Valdemar Carl Axel of Denmark (1920-1986), a great-grandson of King Christian IX. In 1950, he married a minor British noble and divorcée, Anne, Viscountess Anson, née Bowes-Lyon, a niece of Queen Elizabeth of the UK (later the Queen Mother). It seems unlikely that this would be with the consent of the King of Denmark, but if that were the case, he would have been stripped of the title Prince of Denmark, reduced to being a Count of Rosenborg, like his brother and other relatives who married commoners.

It was a moot point, really, as he was (or would have been) removed from the line of succession to the Danish throne in 1953 anyway when it was limited to descendants of King Christian X. Also, he had no children to inherit either the non-dynastic title Count of Rosenborg or the dynastic (but non-successive) title Prince of Denmark.

So was he a Count of Rosenborg, or a Prince of Denmark (without succession rights after 1953) until his death?

I believe that the king wanted to demote him to Count of Rosenborg but changed his mind. Anne was a niece of Queen Elizabeth and people supposedly thought that if a Bowes-Lyon was good enough for the king of England it is good enough for a minor Danish prince.

Both the Order of the Elefant.
Prince Georg wears a lot of Decorations.
His Father's and his small Decorations were sold at an Auction in Paris by Count Flemming Heirs. I bougt a lovely item belonging to Princess Ingeborg our King Albert II Grandmother.

Both the Order of the Elefant.
Prince Georg wears a lot of Decorations.
His Father's and his small Decorations were sold at an Auction in Paris by Count Flemming Heirs. I bougt a lovely item belonging to Princess Ingeborg our King Albert II Grandmother.
Yes, I remember you writing about that once before. A small notebook, wasn't it?

Yes a small silver note book with its silver pencil .
Inside a stylish I with above a Royal Crown. On the last page it is written with a pencil "Stasesia Cyanea" ?
Thanks for remembering !

By 1950 standards a Danish Prince marrying a bride of non- royal descent and a divorcee at that would have been demoted to 'count of Rosenborg', especially when he was not in line of succession!
The story goes ( I picked it up on another royalty forum several years ago! ) - that on hearing this, King George VI said something along the lines that ' if a Bowes-Lyon is good enough for me a Bowes-Lyon is good enough for a Danish prince'.

I cannot guarantee the veracity of the King's remark but it sounds credible IMO, also considering the often firm will of his consort! I just cannot imagine that Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother) would ever accept her niece being reduced to a mere 'countess' in a continental royal family.

Viv

I hope the story is false. If it was the other way around, I doubt that the British royal family would have accepted the King and Queen of Denmark meddling in relation to how Birgitte van Deurs (a Danish woman who wed the cousin of the British queen) was treated.

King Frederik IX also gave full approval to the marriage of his daughter and heiress to a "mere" count in 1967. Differently from his father (who only approved marriages to spouses of equal birth), the marriages which Frederik IX refused to approve were all marriages to commoners.

As other European royal houses did not begin limiting royal titles by degree of consanguinity until the late 20th century, I assume they would have been HH Prince and Princess to or of Denmark.

Last edited:
Norwegian historian Trond Norén Isaksen wrote on Facebook earlier this summer that he was once told by Georg's sister-in-law, Countess Ruth of Rosenborg, that he'd pestered King Frederik until he relented and allowed Georg to keep his title. He was also later told by Princess Anne's daughter, Lady Elizabeth Anson, that the story about King George intervening on Georg's behalf was true. Apparently the King did really say "If a Bowes-Lyon was good enough for me, a Bowes-Lyon is surely good enough for one of your Princes."

Back
Top Bottom