King Frederik VIII of Denmark

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jil

Gentry
City
Xenia
Country
United States
I have another old postcard of a Danish Royal that I am not sure of the identity of this man. Can you help me? Here is the link to the postcard photo:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y138/loejil/Denmark%20Royal%20Family/?action=view&current=KingorPrinceofDenmark.jpg

I think that it is a photo of Frederik VIII (1843-1912). Also can someone translate what is said on the front of the card? I think it is in French. It says:
"Roi de Danemark
Paris, le 15 Juin 1907"
*What is the meaning of the date on this postcard? Did this Royal visit Paris on that date?

The back of the postcard has the following writing:
"Souvenio du 16 Juin 07"
Thanks for your help!

Jil said:
I have another old postcard of a Danish Royal that I am not sure of the identity of this man. Can you help me? Here is the link to the postcard photo:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y138/loejil/Denmark%20Royal%20Family/?action=view&current=KingorPrinceofDenmark.jpg

I think that it is a photo of Frederik VIII (1843-1912). Also can someone translate what is said on the front of the card? I think it is in French. It says:
"Roi de Danemark
Paris, le 15 Juin 1907"
*What is the meaning of the date on this postcard? Did this Royal visit Paris on that date?

The back of the postcard has the following writing:
"Souvenio du 16 Juin 07"
Thanks for your help!

Yes, that's right. Its Frederik VIII King of Denmark. The caption says:

King of Denmark
Paris June 15 1907

The back says

Souvenir of June 16 1907

I don't know why Frederik was in Paris on that date.

Some basic info on Frederik VIII of Denmark.

Name: Christian Frederik Vilhelm Carl

Birth: 3. June, 1843

Child of: Christian IX and Queen Louise

Reign: 1906 [father's death] - 1912[own death]

Motto: Herren er min Hjælper - The Lord is my Helper

Marriage: 28. July, 1869, to Princess Lovisa of Sweden

Children: Christian (10.), [url="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/1905-2005-february-biography-haakon-4902.html]Carl (Haakon VII of Norway, from 1905)[/url], Harald, Gustav, Louise, Ingeborg, Thyra & Dagmar.

Death: 1912, in Hamburg, Germany.

Throne passed to: Christian X

Source: http://www.kongehuset.dk

He's one of the most interesting Danish kings to me, since his queen was Swedish like me. Louise of Sweden was the daughter of Carl XV and Louise of the Netherlands.

he is the longest heir to the danish throne throne he spend 43 years of waiting gosh that must be hard for him since he was interesting in liberalism whish was the cause why his father keep him away from affair of state and when he does become king his health was poor and he only reign for 6 years the shortest of all glucksburg danish sovereigns

He was a parallell to Edward VII of Britain then. He too had to wait years and years to become king, and when he finally became king, he didn't live many years afterwards.

he is the longest heir to the danish throne throne he spend 43 years of waiting gosh that must be hard for him since he was interesting in liberalism whish was the cause why his father keep him away from affair of state and when he does become king his health was poor and he only reign for 6 years the shortest of all glucksburg danish sovereigns

He could be beatten by to the present Crown Prince Frederik who is no Crown Prince since 37 years already. The difference is only that he became heir at the age of 4 and not with 20 then Frederik VIII.

o my god i wonder how this title crown prince affect them cause queen margrethe always say it was the worst moment of her life when she was told the meaning of being heiress since it mean your parent[ the sovereign ] has to died in order for you to become king i think other european country should adopt the way the dutch do it like abdicating when you rule for a long time

In his childhood Frederik was known as "Freddy with the pretty face".

Princess Dagmar Glückenburg

Good evening, would any of the kind members have a good photo of Dagmar of Denmark (died 1961) as a young woman? All I can find online are pictures when she was quite elderly.
Thank you

Princess Dagmar

If you mean Princess Dagmar daughter of King Frederik and Queen Louise then this is the only photo I have in my files. Dagmar is standing beside her sister Thyra.

Attachments

• thyra sitting and younger sister dagmar 1880-4.jpg
    thyra sitting and younger sister dagmar 1880-4.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 391
He died in such a strange and ridiculous manner for a king, the poor man. Almost impossible for it to happen now.

Is it very, very, very certain that he was just taking a walk in Hamburg and collapsed and nothing else was going on? Because that sounds more like the start of a mystery than most fiction does.

He died in such a strange and ridiculous manner for a king, the poor man. Almost impossible for it to happen now.

Is it very, very, very certain that he was just taking a walk in Hamburg and collapsed and nothing else was going on? Because that sounds more like the start of a mystery than most fiction does.

Can you imagine the rumours back in 1912 with a king found dead and incognito!

Can you imagine the rumours back in 1912 with a king found dead and incognito!

And incognito in the morgue, and near a brothel, which is how half of them started. If he'd only just gone home from the trip to Nice with his family instead...

But so I wonder, has anyone applied a bit of modern detective work to figure out the circumstances of how Frederik died? Is "taking a walk, collapsed" true? One way or another it seems like a mystery that's got to be solved.

King Frederik VIII arrived in Berlin, Germany in 1906.

King Frederik VIII arrived in France in 1908.

Back
Top Bottom