King Christian X

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A feel-good double feature. Christian riding, and then hanging out with Frederik and family. :)
He and young Daisy (edit: Elisabeth!) appear to have been good friends.

Last edited:
A feel-good double feature. Christian riding, and then hanging out with Frederik and family. :)

He and young Daisy appear to have been good friends.

Actually, the little girl was Princess Elisabeth - one of the babies was young Daisy, the other being her cousin Ingolf.

Must have been great for Christian if he was in a cycle race

? :flowers:

As Count Ingolf himself said in the article, Knud's choice greatly upset his brother and sister-in-law.

Speaking of which, what did King Christian and Queen Alexandrine think of the argument and the feud between their sons?

Last edited:
Actually, the little girl was Princess Elisabeth - one of the babies was young Daisy, the other being her cousin Ingolf.

Thanks. I must have missed Prince Knud in all this, and it's easy to get fooled when there are only three kids.

? :flowers:

Speaking of which, what did King Christian and Queen Alexandrine think of the argument and the feud between their sons?

I have no idea what Queen Alexandrine thought. Most likely she wasn't happy about it.
I don't think Christian X sensed much if any feud between the brothers.
After all Frederik and Ingrid, did their job as the model CP-family, and they had had at least one child when I died, so there was little reason not to expect the reigning line not continuing through Frederik and Ingrid.
It was basically after the death of Christian X, when it became clear that Frederik and Ingrid would not have more children, that the public discussion about the succession started.
And that it was quickly realized that Knud's children were not palatable to the public - being "ugly and stupid". Certainly in comparison to the model family of Frederik and Ingrid and the Three Little Princesses. - An image certainly Ingrid appears to have been cultivating.

That may have contributed to the misgivings by the Rosenborg's. I.e. they felt stabbed in the back by Frederik and not least his wife.
Speculation of course. And add to that that Ingrid had a great relationship with Christian X! She had him firmly wrapped around her little finger. - Perhaps she was the daughter he had wished for?

So to sum up: IMO it was not a question on the mind of Christian X, because it really didn't come up, while he was alive.

I read that the Prince Knud called the electorate "a shower of bastards" for voting for the change.

It appears that Prince Knud was not in favor of the new law.

How was the relationship between the two brothers after the new law came into force?

Perhaps that's why Queen Margrethe II, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie never seemed to be very close to Prince Knud's children.

I read that the Prince Knud called the electorate "a shower of bastards" for voting for the change.

How was the relationship between the two brothers after the new law came into force?

Perhaps that's why Queen Margrethe II, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie never seemed to be very close to Prince Knud's children.
The relationship was strained. Knud and Caroline-Mathilde saw very little of Frederik and Ingrid except for when meeting "on the job".

That's more than likely! :D

Knud was not at all in favor of the Change of Succession. As in no way!

Their relationship soured, that's for sure.
I don't think Knud ever forgave his brother, for what he saw as a betrayal. But Frederik was Frederik IX at that time, he followed the wishes of the politicians and the people. And the people clearly said: We don't want Knud! We don't like him. Nor do we want his children.
Princess Margrethe was at the time just a little girl and no one really knew her.
But Knud's children were older and they were to some extent known by the public. They weren't nearly as cute as the Three Little Princesses and they had acted awkwardly in public. - Who wouldn't when you are uncomfortable in the public glare?

Frederik IX had the crucial back up by the politicians. They liked him (and his wife), they respected him (and especially his wife!) and he was not nearly as conservative as his brother Knud. - And Frederik IX was not going to make a mistake like the one his father did in 1920, and antagonizing the politicians and the public.
Keep in mind that the press, newspapers, was way more party-political than it is today. If the head of the Social Democratic party was in favor of Princess Margrethe, the Social Democratic newspapers were also in favor.
And apart from that of course Frederik IX sided with his beloved wife. He was a doting husband.

There was a long bitterness within the Rosenborg family towards Frederik IX branch of the family. So yes, it's pretty safe to say that there wasn't a close relationship between the Rosenborgs and QMII in particular.
It's no secret that QMII adores her father. If anyone had issues with her father, she would side with her father, 100 %! And probably because she more than anyone of course understand the situation her father was in - both being monarchs.

It was actually Count Ingolf who approached the Frederik IX branch and established a good relationship with them. Something the rest of the Rosenborg's didn't exactly support - according to his own account.

- All that is based on a number of interviews in the Rosenborg thread and not least the excellent documentary about Frederik IX covered in details elsewhere.

It's possible we're getting away from Christian and onto issues that have already had their own threads, though.

Would Christian have supported Margrethe as a future sovereign over Ingolf?

It's possible we're getting away from Christian and onto issues that have already had their own threads, though.

Would Christian have supported Margrethe as a future sovereign over Ingolf?

IMO, no.
Not at all.

He was a very conservative man and I doubt he believed a woman should sit on the throne, if there was a male alternative.

He would no doubt have done his utmost to support her, had Princess Margrethe been the only alternative. But at the same time also been deeply worried for her - and perhaps the monarchy. Of that I'm certain.

He had also learned however, and he would, I think grudgingly and not at all happy, have followed the wishes of the politicians and the public, since he himself got very close to losing the throne.

And Christian X was the only ever king of Iceland and reigned from 1918 until the 1944 declaration of the Republic of Iceland following the referendum in May of that year.

If there had been no new law of succession and Christian X had lived longer, do you think he would have have encouraged Prince Knud to use his first middle name of Christian as his regnal name to continue the alternating Christians and Frederiks of Danish sovereigns? Prince Knud would thus have been King Christian XI if he used the name of Christian after succeeding Frederik IX.

If there had been no new law of succession and Christian X had lived longer, do you think he would have have encouraged Prince Knud to use his first middle name of Christian as his regnal name to continue the alternating Christians and Frederiks of Danish sovereigns? Prince Knud would thus have been King Christian XI if he used the name of Christian after succeeding Frederik IX.
There's no question that Knud would have become Christian X had the succession not been changed. The tradition of alternate regnal names are so strong that historically many Danish princes have been named both Christian and Frederik just in case.

Last edited:
There's no question that Knud would have become Christian X had the succession not been changed. The tradition of alternate regnal names are so strong that historically many Danish princes have been named both Christian and Frederik just in case.

You mean he would have become Christian XI. as he could hardly ´have the same regnal number then his father

Then neither Knud nor Ingolf would have reigned as Christian X.

If you read my Post that is what i said that Knud would hardly have the same regnal number then his father.

So just for anyone not playing along,

Knud (for his four-year reign) --> Christian XI
Ingolf (would now be) --> Frederik X

If Knud would not have had Christian as a middle name, could he still have selected Christian as his regnal name?

If Knud would not have had Christian as a middle name, could he still have selected Christian as his regnal name?

I suppose so.
A simple administrative change in the Public Register.

The king had 4 sisters

Princess Louise of Denmark (1875 – 1906) m Prince Frederick of Schaumburg-Lippe

Princess Ingeborg of Denmark (1878-1958) m Prince Carl, Duke of Västergötland.

Princess Thyra of Denmark (1880 -1945) never married

Princess Dagmar of Denmark (1890 -1961) m Jørgen Castenskjold

Some examples:
Christian Frederik Vilhelm Carl (king Frederick VIII)

HIS SONS
Christian Carl Frederik Albert Alexander Vilhelm (king Christian X)
Christian Frederik Carl Georg Valdemar Axel (king Haakon VII of Norway)
Harald Christian Frederik
Christian Frederik Vilhelm Valdemar Gustav

Gorm Christian Frederik Hans Harald (elder son of Harald - at the time of his birth 4th in line to the throne after his cousins Frederik and Knud and his father Harald - so not unrealistic to think that he had a small chance to end up at the throne, i.e., if both Frederik and Knud didn't have sons)
Oluf Christian Carl Axel (younger son of Harald: no Frederik!)

YOUNGER SON OF CHRISTIAN X and sons
Knud Christian Frederik Michael
Ingolf Christian Frederik Knud Harald Gorm Gustav Viggo Valdemar Aage
Christian Frederik Franz Knud Harald Carl Oluf Gustav Georg Erik

ELDER SON OF CHRISTIAN X and male descendants
Christian Frederik Franz Michael Carl Valdemar Georg (previous king)
Frederik André Henrik Christian (current crown prince)

It seems the crown prince was the last one to have both names: the younger princes have only one of the two - except for prince Henrik who has neither (but the chances of him succeeding to the throne are extremely slim)!
- Joachim Holger Waldemar Christian
- Nikolai William Alexander Frederik
- Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian
- Christian Valdemar Henri John
- Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander
- Henrik Carl Joachim Alain

Last edited:
Don't forget Olav V of Norway, the nephew born down the Danish line of succession — Alexander Edward Christian Frederik. ?

Don't forget Olav V of Norway, the nephew born down the Danish line of succession — Alexander Edward Christian Frederik. ?

At the time of Prince Alexander's birth it was not anticipated that his father would become a reigning sovereign of Norway. Alexander's middle names of Christian Frederik are a fine significance of his Danish heritage.

Back
Top Bottom