King Christian IX; Grandfather of Europe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course anything is possible, in royal environments affairs used to be the rule rather than the exception, but Christian IX was not exactly the type you'd expect to go astray! Firstly he was very devoted to his queen, secondly he was too 'correct' in a bourgeois way, being very mindful of his responsibility as the founder of the cadet-line Glücksburg dynasty.

As far as I know no rumours have ever surfaced about Christian IX and illegitimate children.

viv

Agree. I havent heard of any illegitimate children from him. He was deeply in love with his wife, and mourned her the rest of his days after she died.

Queen Louise was the love of his life. As someone who has been very interested in Christian IX's life for a very long time, I find it very hard to believe that he would have been playing around. Unlike many of his predecessors he was a genuine family man and little meant more to him than his wife and six children.

Recently I learned that Christian unsuccessfully sought the hand in marriage of his cousin, Queen Victoria of England.
Fascinating! If Victoria had agreed to marry Christian, would this have presented difficulties when Christian succeeded to the Danish throne as King Christian IX? After the birth of the first child, which throne is he or she the heir to: England only, Denmark only, or both England and Denmark?

Ish, Thank you for explaining the possible succession of children to the thrones of England and Denmark if Victoria and Christian had married.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since one of the main reasons for Christian to be declared heir to the Danish throne was his marriage to Louise, who was a niece to a Danish King, I don't think he would've been a serious candidate for said throne without marrying her

But if he had become King of Denmark even if he was married to QV maybe the solution would've been similar to the throne of Saxen-Coburg-Gotha which was handed to a younger son instead of the future King Edward VII?

There are a few ways it could have gone.

- The pair could have married and the two thrones been joined in a personal union, similar to that of Scotland/England, Britain/Hanover, England/parts of France
- The pair could have married and Christian never been offered the throne of Denmark in the first place
- An elder child could have inherited one throne and a younger one the other

I think it's more likely that Christian wouldn't have been given the throne had he married Victoria, as it would have given too much power to the British.

Christian IX Middle Name

Hello everyone, I hope all is well. I think this is a futile effort, but I thought I would give it one last shot. Does anyone know if Christian IX had any middle names? It seems odd that is the only name he was given, considering his father had multiple names, as did his children. I have searched the internet and found nothing, so I am guessing he was only named Christian. I just hate giving up. ;)

Hello everyone, I hope all is well. I think this is a futile effort, but I thought I would give it one last shot. Does anyone know if Christian IX had any middle names? It seems odd that is the only name he was given, considering his father had multiple names, as did his children. I have searched the internet and found nothing, so I am guessing he was only named Christian. I just hate giving up. ;)

Perhaps he really only had one first name? As a minor prince who would normally be nowhere near the throne I guess there was no reason to give him the usual multitude of first names. After all he would have had an impressive last name: Slesvig-Holsten-Sønderborg-Glücksborg!

Afaik most of his siblings only had one name too, did you look into genealogy archive sites whether you could find his baptism registration?

Sorry, I have no video of it, but I have got a book of King Christian IX, it is called APAPA, KING CHRISTIAN IX and HIS DESCENDANTS, by Arturo E Beeche & Coryne Hall

Well, it isn't Frederik and Knud.

The Daughters of King Christian IX of Denmark

Hi, searching for new Romanov stuff on youtube I found this video here, which I link below:

"The Daughters of King Christian IX of Denmark" (~ 23 minutes long)

"King Christian IX of Denmark is one of the most prolific patriarchs in royal history. His six children inherited or married into the most powerful monarchies of 19th century Europe and their decedents have occupied 9 different European thrones – Denmark of course, but also Norway, Belgium, the United Kingdom, Greece, Spain, Russia, Romania, and Luxembourg. Let’s get to know the three illustrious daughters of King Christian IX: ' Alexandra, Queen of the United Kingdom Dagmar, Maria Feodorovna, Empress of Russia Thyra, Crown Princess of Hanover and Duchess of Cumberland '

Link:

The vid has very interesting facts; not only about the three sisters but about the life of the high nobility back then too! I liked it very much - very entertaining!

The problem is, that it is a vid and inherently the presented facts are hard to check! So, I don't know, how exact this vid is - and because of this I linked it only indirectly.

King Christian IX of Denmark

Thanks for the message about King Christian on YOUTUBE, I will be watching that, do you have biographies of the Scandinavian royals?. After all they all related to one another & with the rest of Europe.
My collection of royal biographies have been extended to about 350 and I have just ordered 3 biographies about the royals, one about "ONCE UPON A DIAMOND", "THE GRAND DUCAL HOUSE OF HESSE" & "THE FOUR GRACES" a little bit expensive, but it is worth it. Keep in touch!!!!!!

Thanks for the message about King Christian on YOUTUBE, I will be watching that, do you have biographies of the Scandinavian royals?. After all they all related to one another & with the rest of Europe.
My collection of royal biographies have been extended to about 350 and I have just ordered 3 biographies about the royals, one about "ONCE UPON A DIAMOND", "THE GRAND DUCAL HOUSE OF HESSE" & "THE FOUR GRACES" a little bit expensive, but it is worth it. Keep in touch!!!!!!

Among the current European monarchs, Queen Elizabeth II, King Philippe of the Belgians, King Harald V of Norway, King Felipe VI of Spain, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, and, obviously, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark are descendants of King Christian IX.

King Felipe VI of Spain, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, King Harald V of Norway, and obviously Queen Elizabeth II are descendants of Queen Victoria.

King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands is the only major reigning European monarch who does not descend from either King Christian IX or Queen Victoria.

EDIT: King Philippe does not descend from Queen Victoria, but he descends from one of Queen Victoria's grandfathers (on her mother's side). Likewise, King Carl Gustaf does not descend from Christian IX, but he descends (in maternal line) from Christian IX's parents.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, as you might not realize, That the Dutch House of Orange Nassau is slightly connected to the Danish royal family through the house of Bourbon Parma, as a Danish prince married a Bourbon Parma princess and the Dutch princess Irene of the Netherlands married the late prince Carlos Hugo of Bourbon Parma and they are connected to the Habsburg Imperial Family of Austria, empress Zita of Austria was a sister of the father of prince Hugo Carlos of Bourbon Parma. The house of Orange Nassau is even related to the Romanov family through a marriage of a Dutch king with the daughter of one of the Romanovs Tsars. Most of the European royal family are usually connected through marriages.

Ronald, What years does "THE GRAND DUCAL HOUSE OF HESSE" cover?

I haven't received THE GRAND DUCAL HOUSE OF HESSE book yet, will receive the book b/w 1st of Sept & the 17th, I will let you know when the book arrive & about what years it will cover. Thanks for the interest. I love reading about the HISTORIES of all European royal houses.Keep in touch!

Six children of Christian IX and Queen Louise, 1882. From left: King George I of Greece, Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, Alexandra, Princess of Wales, Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark, Princess Thyra and Prince Valdemar.
https://c2.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gaa1848f7/22130065_eEk99.jpeg

Four kings of Denmark: Christian IX holding his great-grandchild Frederik (IX). To the left of Christian IX is his grandchild Prince Christian (X), and on right of Christian IX is his son Crown Prince Frederik (VIII).
Nesta foto os primeiros quatro reis da Casa de Glücksburg estão reunidos para o batizado do Príncipe Frederico (IX).
https://c7.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Ga4172164/22130072_onhGe.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everybody,
I just bought 3 biographies of of 1 King Christian IX & Queen Louise, Europe's Parents in Law, 2 King Christian X & Queen Alexandrine, Royal Couple Through The World Wars and 3 King Frederik IX & Queen Ingrid, The Modern Couple. All written by Kongernes Samling.
It is a MUST to have it.

The Grand Ducal House of Hesse

Ronald, What years does "THE GRAND DUCAL HOUSE OF HESSE" cover?

I am so sorry ,I let you wait that long with the answer, I hope I can still help you with this. "The Grand Ducal House of Hesse 1567 - 1790.

It's funny how Christian IX is generally portrayed as a very proper gentleman but no genius — and yet he was canny enough to insist that the Greek royal family be maintained as Danish, just in case the Greeks turned them out again at some point. Lo and behold.

(Now that is looking out for your family.)

Back
Top Bottom