Frederik IX

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Name: Christian Frederik Franz Michael Carl Valdemar Georg

Birth: March 11, 1899

Child of: Christian X and Queen Alexandrine

Reign: 1947 [father's death] - 1972 [own death]

Motto: "Med Gud for Danmark." With God for Denmark.

Marriage: 24. May, 1935 to Princess Ingrid of Sweden.

Children: Margrethe (b. 1940), Benedikte (b. 1944) and Anne-Marie (b. 1946)

Death: 1972

Throne passed to: Margrethe II.

Notes:

Frederik IX was a former sailor, and had plenty of tattoos.

He also very much enjoyed music, and particularly liked to conduct music.

Family pictures

Funeral of King Frederik IX

Source: http://www.kongehuset.dk

Last edited:
Frederik IX 1947 -1972
Born on the 11 of March 1899. Parents: King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine (née Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin).
Married on the 24 of May 1935 to Princess Ingrid of Sweden. Daughters: Margrethe II, Benedikte, Anne-Marie.
Frederik IX was a naval officer and he was also very interested in music.
Since he had no sons, the throne should upon his death have been inherited by his brother, Prince Knud. However, in 1953, the Act of Succession was changed, allowing females to become Queen Regnants.
Frederik IX died on the 14 of January 1972 and was succeeded by his daughter Margrethe II.
Motto: With God for Denmark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_IX_of_Denmark

Photos of Hrederik IX and his family on Brigitte Gaste Lloyd site http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/fredrick9denmark1899.htm

Genealogy of Frederik IX http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en&m=NG&n=frederik+IX&t=PN

Last edited:
Queen Ingrid, born as a princess of Sweden, was the only daughter of our king Gustav VI Adolf and his first wife Margareth of Connaught. Ingrid had two older brothers, Gustav Adolf and Sigvard, and two younger brothers, Bertil and Carl Johan. Gustav Adolf was supposed to become king after their father, but he died in a plane crash, which was even three years before his grandfather Gustav V died. But his son is our current king Carl XVI Gustaf. Queen Ingrid was thus Carl Gustaf's aunt, which makes Margarethe and her sisters his cousins. Ingrid and Frederik were third cousins. They shared two common great grandparents, King Oscar I and Queen Josephine of Sweden.

fredrikixwy0.jpg

King Frederik.

ingridwm0.jpg

Queen Ingrid.

King Frederik was a keen music lover and had an education from the Royal Academy of Music, conducted the Danish Royal Chamber Orchestra and the National Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra in several ocassions

source: www.musicweb.uk.net
Getty Images

Last edited:
So, does anybody know how many tattoos this sailor King had? And where and what they portrayed?

-
A pity that my computer crashed a while ago, as I had saved an engagement picture of Frederik Princess Olga of Greece (later Pss Paul of Yougoslavia). I believe Olga broke off the engagement because Frederik was overly fond of alcohol.

Marengo said:
So, does anybody know how many tattoos this sailor King had? And where and what they portrayed?

-
A pity that my computer crashed a while ago, as I had saved an engagement picture of Frederik Princess Olga of Greece (later Pss Paul of Yougoslavia). I believe Olga broke off the engagement because Frederik was overly fond of alcohol.
I have seen a picture of the king without his shirt on next to Queen Ingrid, I believe, and he was fairly covered in tattoos - while she was fully dressed. Quite the contrast.

Wasn't there something about religion also in that particular break-up? I thought that Olga being Greek-Orthodox didn't want to convert to the Lutheran faith?

Now I have to step by the library tomorrow to pick up a biography or two on the king :flowers:

Perhaps that is the Danish version, protective of your own King et all. And it might have played a role, but thus far the only thing that I have heard is that Olga couldn't or didnt want to handle frederiks fondness of alcohol. I believe he was found rather rough too (hard to imagine when you see pictures of him with his daughters btw).

Frederik IX tatttoos were on the traditional side.

The black Chinese Tang dragon symbolized power and protection. His other tattoos include: the Jerusalem Cross on his arm, another dragon on the opposite arm, another dragon below the elbow on his left arm, an anchor, a sparrow, the Danish family crest, and another tattoo that I can't really make out.

It's interesting to see that the King loved dragons so much that he decided to have three done. Not all dragons are considered as protection. Some can mean the opposite, which is why it is so important for people to research the design before having it inked onto your skin. You don't want to regret it and it hurts more to have it lasered off than being inked. Trust me, I know.

Photo

Other royals that had tattoos: King Alfonso of Spain, King Alexander of Yugoslavia, King George V of Britian, King Harold of Britian, King Henry VI of Britian, King Edward VII of Britian, King George II of Greece, Czar Nicholas II. Another thing that I find interesting is the tattoo fad in the late 19th century. Many royals as well as aristocrats were eager to get tattooed. Many went to Japan to seek out the famous artist, Hori Chiyo, whose traditional method of tebori is still practiced by the famous tattooer Horiyosi in Japan.

All this talk about tattoos makes me want to get another one to add to my collection (even though I recently said I wouldn't get anymore:D , but I've changed my mind.)

GlitteringTiaras said:
Frederik IX tatttoos were on the traditional side.

The black Chinese Tang dragon symbolized power and protection. His other tattoos include: the Jerusalem Cross on his arm, another dragon on the opposite arm, another dragon below the elbow on his left arm, an anchor, a sparrow, the Danish family crest, and another tattoo that I can't really make out.

It's interesting to see that the King loved dragons so much that he decided to have three done. Not all dragons are considered as protection. Some can mean the opposite, which is why it is so important for people to research the design before having it inked onto your skin. You don't want to regret it and it hurts more to have it lasered off than being inked. Trust me, I know.

Photo
The book Sømandskongen (The Sailor King) by Jon Bloch Skipper, alludes to a sea-journey Frederik, his brother Knud, and his cousins, Prince Axel and Princess Margrethe took to the far east, representing Denmark. the journey started in January 1930. They visited China, Siam & Japan, and when Frederik returned to Denmark: he had tattoos that he showed off for his officer-coworkers. This might explain the dragons.

Regarding his broken engagement, Marengo, the book mentions that the official reason given, was that Princess Olga didn't want to convert to the Lutheran faith. The private reason, given in private letters, was that she couldn't get used to his "sailor-manners". Queen Margrethe implies that the couple might simply not have been mature enough to get married, (Frederik was 23 at the time, Olga 18-19), although Olga got married the year after to Paul of Yugoslavia.

norwegianne said:
The book Sømandskongen (The Sailor King) by Jon Bloch Skipper, alludes to a sea-journey Frederik, his brother Knud, and his cousins, Prince Axel and Princess Margrethe took to the far east, representing Denmark. the journey started in January 1930. They visited China, Siam & Japan, and when Frederik returned to Denmark: he had tattoos that he showed off for his officer-coworkers. This might explain the dragons.

From what I understand, Frederik's dragon tattoos were done by George Burchett not by Hori Chiyo or his apprentices or from any other tattooer from Asia.

Perhaps I'll see if I can find the book, The Sailor King by Jon Bloch Skipper, and read his claims.

:)

GlitteringTiaras said:
From what I understand, Frederik's dragon tattoos were done by George Burchett not by Hori Chiyo or his apprentices or from any other tattooer from Asia.

Perhaps I'll see if I can find the book, The Sailor King by Jon Bloch Skipper, and read his claims.

:)
Skipper doesn't say anything about who did them, just that some of them came after that trip. Tattoo.dk states that the dragon on the front of his chest was by George Burchett :flowers: (But doesn't say anything about the rest of them)

:flowers:

I wouldn't trust that website when it comes to accuracy about tattoos. The photo is great, but after reading their claims about other specific tattoos I found many mistakes. If you take a look closely at some of his other work you can tell it was not done in the traditional style. Hence, not done in Asia because many artists did not start using the gun until the mid-sixties. George Burchett is known, not only as one of Europe's finest, but his perference for the gun. Also, if you notice one of dragons is facing down (the head) Bad luck. Japanese and other artistis from Asia would never tattoo a dragon with their head down. It must always face up.

This could be an intresting little hunt: To find out who orginally designed Frederik IX's art, how was it done (meaning gun or tebori), are they flat or detailed, why the Jerusalem cross, and why did he feel the need to have so many dragons? And, how long did each take, when, where, why, and did he complete each in a short amount of time or where they done over the course of several years.

what kind of marriage did Ingrid and Fredrick have? He seemed quite a few years older than her and much more gruff, like the drunken dailor type!

what kind of marriage did Ingrid and Fredrick have? He seemed quite a few years older than her and much more gruff, like the drunken dailor type!
Do any of you Danes have an answer? Was it an arranged marriage, and did Ingrid have no choice?

Do any of you Danes have an answer? Was it an arranged marriage, and did Ingrid have no choice?
I have never heard rumours of an arranged marriage (or that Frederik IX did not have a choice...;)....). By all accounts, Frederik IX was a very devoted father to his girls and from many pictures of him and Ingrid, I always thought he simply adored Ingrid.

From Worldroots: http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs3/fredrik9denmark25.jpg, http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs5/ingridsweden1910-26.jpg

I actually thought the same, the King was very dedicated to his Swedish wife. But the marriage was arranged for sure, or a better term might be that they were 'helped' and perhaps pushed into a certain direction when it became evident that they had taken a liking for each other.

We should also remember, that Ingrid was among the few protestant princesses in whole Europe in that generation. She had a lot of choices and offerings. If she wouldn't have liked Frederik, she could have married almost any other protestant prince in Europe. So she seems to at least have chosen him over any other (protestant) prince.

Thanks for the answer, it seems to me that Ingrid was a young attractive princess, daughter of a crown prince, and Fredrick was an elder bachelor prince who had a reputation of drink etc. thats why the question arose.

Here a nice box with the pictures of Crownprince Frederik and his lovely fiancee. ;)

Well, I don´t think many were sold as they probably had to be withdrawn from the shops. But still a funny collectors item.

For those who didn´t notice, the lady on the box is HRH Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark, not Princess Ingrid of Sweden.

So why was she on a box with Frederik? Were they betrothed at some point, maybe?

So why was she on a box with Frederik? Were they betrothed at some point, maybe?
Yes, they were engaged for a short period in 1922 - a couple of months I think it was - before the engagement was called off.

Translation of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #39, 2010.

Where a Jens Willumsen asks whether Frederik IX fathered twins outside marriage.

(In order to avoid lots of explanatory notes, the reply is translated in full).

Jon Bloch Skipper replies:
Some believe ot know that he had children before his marrige; that they were illegitemate children, i.e. born outside marriage. Some say on Djursland (Eastern Jutland); others in Horsens (Eastern Jutland), Næstved (Zealand) or Aalborg (Northern Jutland).. Some say he had a son, other a daughter, while some talk about twins. I simply don't believe the story, which I naturally researched when I wrote: "The Sailor King - A biography of Frederik 9". It's a rumour - nothing else. Had he had children prior to 1935, it would have emerged sooner or later. After all he lived most of his life in the 20th century. That he should have had twins outside marriage, is a claim so far out, that it can only have been started by people with a very limited knowledge of King Frederik IX's relationship to his wife. He practically adored Queen Ingrid - and his three daughters for that matter. That the rumour exists is however understandable. In his youth Frederik IX lived a bit of a playboy existence. he was shaped by the masculine norms of the navy, was good looking, had money, was famous and curted and felt at home aomong freinds who certainly didn't only drink tea at the parties. Despite this he was always very attentive of his unique responsibility and on not exceeding the limits for what can be allowed.

- It's actually the first time I hear about this rumour.

I've heard it before - I have a Danish friend who swears it's true.

I personally agree with Skipper that it's rather far-fetched, largely because, as he says, the children's identities would have come out. Especially when you consider how long it took Frederik to marry and have children, and then how long the country waited for a male heir. It seems like all that would have been an ideal situtaion for illegitimate children, especially a boy, to come forward and announce themselves.

This same Danish friend (falling in line with what Skipper says about how the people who believe this generally don't understand his relationship with Ingrid) also says Frederik and Ingrid didn't have a successful marriage because they were "too different" to have really cared for each other. I think that's complete nonsense - in my opinion, it's pretty obvious to anyone who understands the history of the Danish monarchy in the 20th century how strong their marriage was. I think they were in many ways an absolutely ideal partnership for the throne.

Plus, I've seen a couple photos of public kisses, which was not exactly standard behavior for old-fashioned royals in the 40s/50s/60s, unless of course they were very much in love. ;-)

Last edited:
Plus, I've seen a couple photos of public kisses, which was not exactly standard behavior for old-fashioned royals in the 40s/50s/60s, unless of course they were very much in love. ;-)
You're right. I remember especially one photo where one of them had been away and was greeted by the other one in the airport. That was one hot kiss!

Back
Top Bottom