The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the answer, it seems to me that Ingrid was a young attractive princess, daughter of a crown prince, and Fredrick was an elder bachelor prince who had a reputation of drink etc. thats why the question arose.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Here a nice box with the pictures of Crownprince Frederik and his lovely fiancee.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Serene Highness

What a lovely box!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Well, I don´t think many were sold as they probably had to be withdrawn from the shops. But still a funny collectors item.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

For those who didn´t notice, the lady on the box is HRH Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark, not Princess Ingrid of Sweden.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness

So why was she on a box with Frederik? Were they betrothed at some point, maybe?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
So why was she on a box with Frederik? Were they betrothed at some point, maybe?
Yes, they were engaged for a short period in 1922 - a couple of months I think it was - before the engagement was called off.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Translation of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #39, 2010.

Where a Jens Willumsen asks whether Frederik IX fathered twins outside marriage.

(In order to avoid lots of explanatory notes, the reply is translated in full).

Jon Bloch Skipper replies:
Some believe ot know that he had children before his marrige; that they were illegitemate children, i.e. born outside marriage. Some say on Djursland (Eastern Jutland); others in Horsens (Eastern Jutland), Nćstved (Zealand) or Aalborg (Northern Jutland).. Some say he had a son, other a daughter, while some talk about twins. I simply don't believe the story, which I naturally researched when I wrote: "The Sailor King - A biography of Frederik 9". It's a rumour - nothing else. Had he had children prior to 1935, it would have emerged sooner or later. After all he lived most of his life in the 20th century. That he should have had twins outside marriage, is a claim so far out, that it can only have been started by people with a very limited knowledge of King Frederik IX's relationship to his wife. He practically adored Queen Ingrid - and his three daughters for that matter. That the rumour exists is however understandable. In his youth Frederik IX lived a bit of a playboy existence. he was shaped by the masculine norms of the navy, was good looking, had money, was famous and curted and felt at home aomong freinds who certainly didn't only drink tea at the parties. Despite this he was always very attentive of his unique responsibility and on not exceeding the limits for what can be allowed.

- It's actually the first time I hear about this rumour.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Courtier

I've heard it before - I have a Danish friend who swears it's true.

I personally agree with Skipper that it's rather far-fetched, largely because, as he says, the children's identities would have come out. Especially when you consider how long it took Frederik to marry and have children, and then how long the country waited for a male heir. It seems like all that would have been an ideal situtaion for illegitimate children, especially a boy, to come forward and announce themselves.

This same Danish friend (falling in line with what Skipper says about how the people who believe this generally don't understand his relationship with Ingrid) also says Frederik and Ingrid didn't have a successful marriage because they were "too different" to have really cared for each other. I think that's complete nonsense - in my opinion, it's pretty obvious to anyone who understands the history of the Danish monarchy in the 20th century how strong their marriage was. I think they were in many ways an absolutely ideal partnership for the throne.

Plus, I've seen a couple photos of public kisses, which was not exactly standard behavior for old-fashioned royals in the 40s/50s/60s, unless of course they were very much in love. ;-)
Old 10-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
Plus, I've seen a couple photos of public kisses, which was not exactly standard behavior for old-fashioned royals in the 40s/50s/60s, unless of course they were very much in love. ;-)
You're right. I remember especially one photo where one of them had been away and was greeted by the other one in the airport. That was one hot kiss!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Courtier

Is this the one you mean? Here they're meeting at the Stockholm train station:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frederik ingrid at the train station.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	274948  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Aristocracy

Concerning King Frederik's engagement to Princess Olga, I also remember reading in a book that she hated his sailor-manners and the fact that he has very straight-forward as a character. He was not the "usual" type of aristocrat at that time, you know arrogant with absolutely elegant manners in every little thing.

From what I read in books, blogs, forums etc., I get the feeling that he was very passionate for things he loved, very honest and down-to-earth. I believe that is why their marriage with Queen Ingrid worked so well. They loved each other so much and were compatible characters. She was known to be a feminist and she did amazing in her role as a crown princess and later as a queen. I read that during WW2 she used to take Margrethe in her cot and walk around the centre of Copenhagen like if nothing was happening. Her grandfather, the King of Sweden, sent her a letter putting emphasis on the fact that she had to be more careful as to the security of the dynasty, because of the danger for her and the heir, and she completely ignored him, having the complete support of King Frederik.

I don't think he ever felt that he needed to have a son, because that was what it was expected at that time. He adored his wife and their daughters and I am sure that he knew Queen Margrethe could do greater in her role than any other male heir.

What a couple they were!!!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724
Is this the one you mean? Here they're meeting at the Stockholm train station:
Well, it is known that the late King was a very passionate man!!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Translation of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #41, 2011.
Where a Anne Marie Pedersen asks:
Is it true that Frederik IX blamed Queen Ingrid for not delivering him a male heir?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies:
Queen Margrethe's father hoped, like all kings before him, that he would have a son.
Instead he got three daughters whom he loved above everything on earth. If there was anyone who was annoyed it was Queen Ingrid herself.
She was a woman who was very conscious of traditions she would have liked to have given her husband a son.
After the birth of Anne-Marie in 1946, the docters made it clear to her, that she was not able to handle yet a another pregnancy.
Until the change in the Law of Succession in 1953, it was Frederik IX's younger borther, Prince Knud, who was the heir to the throne in Denmark. With the change however, Princess Margrethe became heir to the throne, while Knud got the title of Arveprins = something like Prince Successor or Prince Heir.

- Why don't you write to Jon Bloch Skipper with a question? He is after all a certified historian and expert in the DRF.
And it has happened before that foreigners have had their question published.
Write in English to this address: jon@billed-bladet.dk and remember to include a name and an approximate address, like: John Smith, Virginia.
State that you do not wish a personal reply, nor a reply published in English because if your question is published, it will be translated for you.
- The worst thing that can possibly happen is that your question will not published.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
She (...queen Ingrid) was known to be a feminist and she did amazing in her role as a crown princess and later as a queen. I read that during WW2 she used to take Margrethe in her cot and walk around the centre of Copenhagen like if nothing was happening.
Angelica, Queen Ingrid was not a feminist in the 'womens right' sort-of-way - if that's what you're getting at .
She was a 'modern woman' enjoying the relative freedom of women of her generation, like playing tennis, skiing, learning practical housewifey related stuff, with due respect to her status. If you compare her to say Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother of the UK, CP Ingrid had a more modern 'edge' to her IMO, but she was always aware of her station however not in an unpleasant way. As for taking princess Margrethe for walks in the pram: Well, I'm mostly inclined to think that a public display of loyalty during the German occupation. She has a nose for that, and she would normally leave most of the child care to nannies and nurses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
I don't think he ever felt that he needed to have a son, because that was what it was expected at that time. He adored his wife and their daughters and I am sure that he knew Queen Margrethe could do greater in her role than any other male heir.
Not surprisingly, every biography of Queen Ingrid mentions that she was under no pressure to produce a male heir. I don't believe it quite frankly, because as a crown princess in a kingdom with male succession she would have been expected to do so. However her pregnacies were never easy and maybe the RF adjusted the expectations as the two younger girls arrived! So you could be right, Angelica! And maybe they already suspected at the time that there was a growing public sentiment for a change of the succession law.

viv
Old 03-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Was he really an alcoholic? Or was it just a bad rumor of him?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Was he really an alcoholic? Or was it just a bad rumor of him?
Yes, he was and it's mentioned in every DRF biography after his death! Apparently his drink problem esclated during the 1940s and the Queen put her foot down towards the end of the decade. He went teetotal in 1949 or thereabouts!

viv
Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Is that perhaps the reason Princess Olga broke off their engagement?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
Is that perhaps the reason Princess Olga broke off their engagement?
There is a whole thread about it here.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

Wow, I never knew that Frederik IX was an alcoholic. Guess that came with life as a sailor.