The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Danish Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Commoner

Thanks for the great analysis, Norwegianne! I always think that "what-if" histories would be interesting. It's facinating to me that if the law hadn't been changed in 1953, that Anne-Marie would be on the throne...but through her husband.

Debby

Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn
That was really interesting reading, Norwegianne.

First of all, Christian and Ingolf may not have married commoners without the King's consent had they still been in line and within the possibility of becoming King themselves.
I agree. Being second and third in line might have changed it - or it might have changed the Danish attitude towards the whole "Counts of Rosenborg" thing.

It's not such a big deal when number four (Ingolf's number in the line in 1968) marries, and loses his rights, and even less when number 6 does it (Christian.), after number 1 (Margrethe has provided two heirs) but it might've been considerably different if Ingolf was second in line to the throne in '68, and did what he'd done.

But then again, love is something that is difficult to factor in.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Courtier

I saw a docu yesterday about the Danish monarchy. And they said, Knut was stupid or the people thought he was stupid. Just like his children.
I find it really sad. Is is true, or did he do some stupid things?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I saw a docu yesterday about the Danish monarchy. And they said, Knut was stupid or the people thought he was stupid. Just like his children.
I find it really sad. Is is true, or did he do some stupid things?
Well, I remember older members of my family telling about this.
He was not stupid but generally considered less suited, intellectually speaking. There certainly wasn't a public outcry when the Parliament decided to do the "politically correct" thing and change the Law of Succession and put that change up for a referendum.
So Princess Margrethe ended up being the heir for the throne and (almost) everybody was happy.
And looking at his son, Count Ingolf, there is a general relief that he is not king of Denmark. Hard words, yes, but that's how it is.

A prominent politician at the time, Jens Otto Kragh, said: "I understand she (Margrethe) is intelligent. A pity". - He believed it was a waste of her intellect to become a monarch. He was wrong.
Anyway, as a Social Democrat, he was in favour of abolishing the monarchy anyway. That is still the official policy of the Social Democrats today, even though few politicians would dream of suggesting that.

The change in the Law of Succession meant that no one lost face, officially. But had Knud been considered more "suitable" it's doubtful whether the change would have taken place. Gender egality in that respect wasn't that big an issue, or the law would have been changed so that the firstborn, regardless of sex, would become heir. It wasn't. So this was just a law used to bypass a problem and everybody knew that.
Knud harboured a considerable bitterness because he was in effect cheated of the crown.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Knud's daughter Elisabeth , altough she is absolutely not handsome, is a clever lady speaking a lot of foreign languages.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Courtier

Thanks Muhler and Maria! I felt sorry for him, too. It had been fair if they made him the king and then changed the law, so that Elisabeth would be queen today. But the Danish people didn´t want him

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Commoner

Yet again I feel compelled to take up a long cold thread but I find this very interesting.

In this thread I have read some interesting interpretations of what the line of succession might have looked like. Most seem miss one important point; when the new law os succession was passed in 1953 it stated: 'The throne is inherited within the descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine and sons precedes daughters (which has now changed)'
This means that Prince Philip (and his descendants), King Constantine of Greece or King Harald of Norway could never inherit the Danish throne.

What really brought on the new law in '53 is very fascinating. Was solely an act of political correctness and gender equality? Or did the fact that Knud was widely considered to be dim-witted play a part? Maybe one day when the archives are made public we can piece together the true story.

Anonther interesting fact is that Queen Ingrid was allowed to act as regent when Frederik IX was out of the country. She is the only consort in modern times to have this privilege. These days the duty is split between CP Frederik, Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte. To my knowledge the possibilty of Prince Henrik or indeed CP Mary sharing that duty has never been discussed.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown View Post
What really brought on the new law in '53 is very fascinating. Was solely an act of political correctness and gender equality? Or did the fact that Knud was widely considered to be dim-witted play a part? Maybe one day when the archives are made public we can piece together the true story.
I'm not convinced that Prince Knud was as dim-witted as suspected by some! You don't graduate and get several commands as a naval officer if you're too thick! Maybe he wasn't the brightest of brights, but that's a different story. We may each have our suspicions as to what triggered the change of the succession law; some of the involved are still alive and I for one will not spell this out n a public forum. The veil will be lifted some day but IMO it won't happen till Knud's survivng children and QM Margrethe are long gone.

viv
Old 03-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
I'm not convinced that Prince Knud was as dim-witted as suspected by some!

viv

I don't disagree with you. I heard a story about PK being late for ballet recital (or something similar) and the director of the performing company insisted that the show was repeated for PK - this was what brought on the rumour that PK had to have everything repeated.
I don't think PK was dim-witted at all. In an age where the press got closer the royals I think he was probably a bit akward with the press. Frederik had Ingrid and she instinctively knew how handle the media.
Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to make a martyr of PK and make the DRF devious in any way. I just find whatever prompted the law of succession very facinating. But as you suggest it may take years before the whole truth is known .... if ever.