The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Engagement of Princess Raiyah Bint Al Hussein & Mr. Faris Donovan: October 26, 2019

Princess Raiyah got engaged last month to Mr. Fares Donovan.

ˆƒا„ة ا„ا†باء ا„ارد†Šة

The royal court statement was published earlier today. It did not provide any information about the groom or where the engagement took place. It also did not clarify whether King Abdullah II attended or not.

Congratulations

Old 11-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations!
Are there any pictures of the couple?

Old 11-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Majesty

Wooooowwww!

The LAST child of late King Hussein getting married, hooray!

Congrats, congrats, CONGRATS!

P.S. The English surname and Arabic name of the fiance gives a hint that he is a Westerner converted to Islam (or son of one).
Old 11-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Congratulations to the couple!
Old 11-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Wooooowwww!

P.S. The English surname and Arabic name of the fiance gives a hint that he is a Westerner converted to Islam (or son of one).
Ned Donovan is a journalist for the Daily Mail and Spectator based in Delhi. I didn't know this until now, but his paternal grandfather was a senior Australian diplomat and his mother is the daughter of celebrated author Roald Dahl. I've followed him on Twitter for ages (he's a riot), but was blown away by this news. (I think he's a fair bit younger than her, too...)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Courtier

Congratulations to the couple.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Wooooowwww!

He could have converted but for some reason I was under the impression that Ned Donovan was a Catholic. I know he's written for the Catholic Herald. I would think a conversion would be at the very least preferred by the HRC.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Petra`s English statement:
Jordan News Agency (Petra)

According to his Twitter bio, he is currently residing in Delhi, India & will move to Jordan in December.

Quote:
@Ned_Donovan
Have cleft sticks, will travel. Currently a Delhi wallah but moving to Jordan in December. DM/email ned@nddonovan.com
Old 11-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Donovan or O'Donovan is originally an Irish surname so its quite possible he's from Irish RC ancestry and a possible 1st to marry into a non Christian royal house.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old 11-05-2019, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Donovan or O'Donovan is originally an Irish surname so its quite possible he's from Irish RC ancestry and a possible 1st to marry into a non Christian royal house.
Ned's paternal grandparents were Australian (his grandfather was an Australian Roman Catholic ambassador) and Hungarian (grandmother was a journalist and cookbook author). His maternal grandparents were Welsh born son of Norweigen immigrants (Roald Dahl) and America (actress Patricia Neal).

Ned's mother would have been raised protestant. Her father grew up in the Lutheran faith. Her mother converted to catholic though before she died.

Quote:
Ned Donovan is a journalist for the Daily Mail and Spectator based in Delhi. I didn't know this until now, but his paternal grandfather was a senior Australian diplomat and his mother is the daughter of celebrated author Roald Dahl. I've followed him on Twitter for ages (he's a riot), but was blown away by this news. (I think he's a fair bit younger than her, too...)
He is 8 years younger, she is 33 and he is 25.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

great news,i am happy Princess Raiyha found her match
looking forward the wedding the the photos of the couple
Old 11-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Royal Highness

Ned is grandson to famous British novelist Roald Dahl, and son to author Chantal Sophia 'Tessa' Dahl - who was born to Roald and American actress Patricia Neal.
Tessa Dahl married actor Julian Holloway and had children Clover and Luke with him, before going on to marry businessman Patrick Donovan, son of an Australian academic and diplomat, whom she welcomed son Ned with.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...d-Donovan.html
Old 11-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Majesty

Tessa's eldest child - a fruit of the relationship with English actor Julian Holloway (himself son of English stage and film actor Stanley Holloway & his second wife chorus dancer Violet Marion Lane) - is English author and former fashion model Sophie Dahl (b.1977); she is married to jazz-pop singer-songwriter Jamie Cullum (b.1979) and they have two daughters Lyra (b.2011) and Margot (b.2013).

Sophie is Tessa & Julian's only child together and they were never married; in fact they separated shortly afterwards.

Father of Clover and Luke is Tessa's first husband, Bussinessman James Kelly.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Administrator

This is fantastic news for Princess Raiyah and the Jordan Royal Family!

According to the news reports there is a difference of eight years between the couple. Raiyah is 33 and the groom to be is 25.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The age gap between them seems to be interesting. It is quite unusual for a Jordanian princess though we`ve seen many cases among princes.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Majesty

Given that the fiance was mentioned in the official announcement by the Jordanian Royal Family as "Fares Ned Donovan" suggested that he has already converted to Islam and took the name Fares upon doing it.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Given that the fiance was mentioned in the official announcement by the Jordanian Royal Family as "Fares Ned Donovan" suggested that he has already converted to Islam and took the name Fares upon doing it.
I agree.
Converting to Islam is a must for him to marry Princess Raiyah & Join the Hashemite family.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

He hasn't started his new name in his personal communications, so while the court will probably consistently call him Fares I expect he wil just continue to go by his name of Ned.

Are there other religions that require you to take a different name upon conversion? To me it's a weird practice but I assume there will be other requiring something similar.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
He hasn't started his new name in his personal communications, so while the court will probably consistently call him Fares I expect he wil just continue to go by his name of Ned.

Are there other religions that require you to take a different name upon conversion? To me it's a weird practice but I assume there will be other requiring something similar.
Happens in Judaism as well, though not sure required. Ivanka Trump took the name Yael when she married. Though like Ned, she uses her birth name professionally.

Are husbands in the Jordanian royal family considered to be members of the RF? I'm a tad surprised he was required to convert. Or was there simply family pressure? I guess in the Muslim faith children automatically take their religion from their dads, so there would be pressure for a Christian husband to convert first so the kids carry on the Muslim faith.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

Converting to Islam does not require changing names except in some cases such as:
- When it has a meaning that conflicts with Islamic teachings.
- If the name has an evil or bad meaning (very rare cases).

The royal court usually changs the heavy foreign names to make them easy & acceptable to the Jordanian people.