The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Nobility

If you convert to Catholicism you often take on another saint name and in Judaism as said above. I met a Wiccan who went by a "more pagan sounding" name informally with her Wiccan group.

I think people that convert to different religions, especially those which are very different culturally from what they grew up with often use a different name to feel like they're fitting in even if it's not required.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossina View Post

The age gap between them seems to be interesting. It is quite unusual for a Jordanian princess though we`ve seen many cases among princes.
Are there any obstacles to princesses marrying younger men, or is it simply more traditional for the husband to be older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Or was there simply family pressure? I guess in the Muslim faith children automatically take their religion from their dads, so there would be pressure for a Christian husband to convert first so the kids carry on the Muslim faith.
Yes, and on that basis marriages between Muslim women and non-Muslim men are deemed invalid under most readings of Islamic religious law (and therefore are not legally recognized in many countries where Islam is the national religion).

Quote:
The royal court usually changs the heavy foreign names to make them easy & acceptable to the Jordanian people.
That seems like a practical measure to take when the gap between the two languages (and their names) is significant.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Happens in Judaism as well, though not sure required. Ivanka Trump took the name Yael when she married. Though like Ned, she uses her birth name professionally.

Are husbands in the Jordanian royal family considered to be members of the RF? I'm a tad surprised he was required to convert. Or was there simply family pressure? I guess in the Muslim faith children automatically take their religion from their dads, so there would be pressure for a Christian husband to convert first so the kids carry on the Muslim faith.
Yes, they are considered members of the royal family but without titles or royal duties. They can accompany their wives in several engagements.

Ned has to convert to Islam because, according to Islam teachings followed in Jordan, a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim man.

In contrast, a Muslim man is allowed to marry a non-Muslim woman from whom they call the People of the Book (i.e. the Jews and Christians).
Non-Muslim Women who marry into the JRF are obliged to convert to Islam only because it is a constitutional requirement for their future children to inherit the throne.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Converting to Islam does not require changing names except in some cases such as:
- When it has a meaning that conflicts with Islamic teachings.
- If the name has an evil or bad meaning (very rare cases).

The royal court usually changs the heavy foreign names to make them easy & acceptable to the Jordanian people.
This is true. Most people choose to use an Arabic name to signify the conversion.

Congrats to the couple!
Old 11-06-2019, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Happens in

Are husbands in the Jordanian royal family considered to be members of the RF? I'm a tad surprised he was required to convert. Or was there simply family pressure? I guess in the Muslim faith children automatically take their religion from their dads, so there would be pressure for a Christian husband to convert first so the kids carry on the Muslim faith.
I think they are considered so...as they are required to convert to be membres of the RF and not only because the kids automatically take their father religion but also because of who are the Hashemite (descends of Prophet Mohammed) it's strong symbole that is part of the RF legitimacy to rule
Old 11-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Congratulations to the couple! Interesting that Princess Raiyah's new fiancee is part of the Dahl family.

I can imagine that Ned would probably convert but keep his birth name for professional use, like Ivanka Trump as someone else mentioned. It will be interesting to see what Arabic name he'll choose if he does.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

He already did,the name he chose is "Fares"
Old 11-07-2019, 12:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Happens in Judaism as well, though not sure required. Ivanka Trump took the name Yael when she married. Though like Ned, she uses her birth name professionally.
Elizabeth Taylor took the name Elisheba Rachel upon her conversion to Judaism and Marilyn Monroe also took a Hebrew name but chose to keep it private. Like Ivanka both of them used their old names publically. This is not something unusual for Jews in the Diaspora these days who often has both a Hebrew name for religious use and another name that conforms to the names of the society they live in.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:

From what we've seen before, husbands of the women are not given titles but styled as His Excellency in Jordan. You can see it in the Arabic news reports about the married ones. Not sure it is ever used abroad though
Old 11-11-2019, 03:41 AM
Majesty

how excting - congratulations to the future bride and groom! can't wait to see the wedding pictures in due time.

in his twitter, he has 'Currently a Delhi wallah but moving to Jordan in December.' so i am wondering where they could have met... i guess the fact that he is moving to jordan in december means that their wedding will take place shortly afterwards. i guess they will then live in california, as raiyah is still doing her PHD.

also, it seems that ned will start learning arabic at Qasid Arabic Institute