Engagement of Prince Ali and Rym Brahimi: April 2004 - News & Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to the Jordanian royals, many other European royals have married (or will marry) individuals outside of their homeland:

Margrethe of Denmark married French-born Henrik
Beatrix of the Netherlands married German-born Claus
Juan Carlos of Spain married Greek-born Sofia (nee Sophie)
Constantine of Greece married Danish-born Anne Marie
Albert of Belgium married Italian-born Paola
Carl Gustav of Sweden married Brazillian-born Silvia

Willem of the Netherlands married Argentinian-born Maxima
Pavlos of Greece married British-born (American-born?) Marie Chantal
Alexia of Greece married Spanish-born Carlos Morales
Emmanuel of Italy married French-born actress Coltilde
Laurent of Belgium married British-born Claire
Joachim of Denmark married British-born Alexandra

Frederik of Denmark will marry Australian-born Mary

The list could go on and on.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these individuals who were born in other countries and married into royal families. A royal marrying someone from their own country of birth doesn't guarantee a successful union either. Look at Charles and Andrew of Great Britain who both married British women, and both marriages ended in divorce.

I think this blows the "freakin weird" theory out of the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was extrememly shocked when I saw Ali with Reem. What is going on with this family???? First Hamzah get's engaged/married at the age of 23 to a relative, then Haya get's engaged/married to a sheikh who's 25 years her senior and who is married and has a dozen children, and now , Ali, the most eligible bachelor in Amman get's engaged to an algerian/croatian cnn reporter, who is about 5 years his senior and he looks sooooo much better than her... I honestly hope they all made these decisions on their own and weren't pressured by anyone.

3ala kul 7al, allah yiwafi2hom...

I don't want to start a fight- but what's wrong with Ali getting married to "an algerian/croatian cnn reporter, who is about 5 years his senior"?? Is it because she's Algerian? Croatian? Works for CNN? Five years older?

Some members are saying that Ali looks a lot better than Reem, but I can't see why that means that they shouldn't get married. I think that she's an extremely attractive girl (woman) and Prince Ali most likely shares my opinion!

Sorry, I didn't want it to sound this way....I definitely have nothing against algerians or croations or reporters...It's just shocking. Prince Ali was once known to be a womanizer, so I was a bit shocked that he got engaged to someone who is so not his type. And believe me, I know what his type is, or at least what his type was. His female-friends were always very beautiful younger girls/women who were very wild and not very down-to-earth. Reem, doesn't seem to be the wild kind-a-gal. She was a reporter, in a very respectable news channel. She looks older and wiser---Just very different than the type of woman I expected Ali to choose to share his life with. Just wanted to make things clearer...

I cant understand why some people are shocked because of this engagement, I think Ali has the best choice of his brothers,Rym is famous, successful, and beautiful too. there is no thing wrong that she is 5 years older than him, prophet Mohammad (considered his grandfather) was 15 years younger than his wife.

ok i feel bad about what i said :blush: ...he looks OK ...just not exactly attractive.
She is pretty ...looks sophisticated and in any case that's much more than i can say about him.
I'm done now.
:doh:

I'm glad Ali has found his soulmate, but I honestly think Rym could have done better than him. Rym is the one who is settling; it's Ali who needs to step up. I hope he will now put his wild ways behind him, and devote himself to his work and his new wife and family, whenever that should arrive.

Originally posted by bluetortuga@Apr 27th, 2004 - 6:57 pm
I'm glad Ali has found his soulmate, but I honestly think Rym could have done better than him. Rym is the one who is settling; it's Ali who needs to step up. I hope he will now put his wild ways behind him, and devote himself to his work and his new wife and family, whenever that should arrive.
I agree with you...

Rym is an accomplished woman. she has good education and proved herself in her job and the fact that her father is an accomplished diplomat is for sure a good plus for her.

Prince Ali: his title is helping alot...Although he has been known for being a womeniser, he might have a gentle heart and nice personality...Like you said, he just has to put his wild days behind and focuse on his wife and family...

I think altogether, they are a fine couple...

to more trivial things:

here article from hello and photo that i hadnt seen before
http://www.hello-magazine.com/royalty/2004...s/ali-dop2a.jpg
In a romantic echo of Crown Prince Felipe's recent engagement, Prince Ali of Jordan has announced he will marry CNN reporter Rym Brahimi.

The Algerian journalist has just quit her job at the news network's European headquarters, in order to wed the Jordanian royal. The announcement comes just a few months after Spanish newscaster Letizia Ortiz gave up her job to accept an engagement ring from her country's statuesque crown prince.

King Abdullah was among those present at Ali and Rym's official engagement ceremony in Paris. A statement released by the royal palace in Amman says the pair will exchange vows on September 7.

Rym is the daughter of Lakhdar Brahimi, the United Nation's special envoy to Iraq. Working between London and Baghdad, she has earned a reputation as one of CNN's top diplomatic reporters. Ali meanwhile heads a special force which protects his half-brother, the king.

From my personal experiences with the JRF, including Prince Ali, I think that he feels something genuine for Reem and that it is a great match. They are both highly educated, worldly people - - - and were searching for a partner that had the same value systems and would be a good partner in marriage. These rumors about Ali being a playboy, I doubt. He is a gentleman - and that goes for his brothers as well. Extremely polite and well-spoken. You have to understand, in the circles that they associate in, the power that they exude, they must be extremely careful to not cause waves - use discretion. The "playboy" term probably came from some uptight elder who heard about them going to clubs or doing normal, typical 20-something activities and then these rumors began. These are people that were raised to know that they are in high-profile positions from birth. They are going to be looking for someone special that they can relate to. I am pleased to see such a worthy wife for him.

I'm sorry but Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,and thats what i think.
I didn't mean to sound rude,Sorry If i did,but i just feel like Ali deserves someone cuter and younger!
for those who said Prophet Mohammah (Sallah allah 3laih wa sallam) Married Setna khadeega who was 15 years older than him...well Ali isn't prophet mohammad!
Ali deserves all the Hapiness in the universe,I just wish he is Happy and if he is ,and Rym Managed to make him Happy,then she's the best women in the world :)

Originally posted by Amoula@Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:12 pm
I'm sorry but Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,and thats what i think.
I didn't mean to sound rude,Sorry If i did,but i just feel like Ali deserves someone cuter and younger!
for those who said Prophet Mohammah (Sallah allah 3laih wa sallam) Married Setna khadeega who was 15 years older than him...well Ali isn't prophet mohammad!
Ali  deserves all the Hapiness in the universe,I just wish he is Happy and if he is ,and Rym Managed to make him Happy,then she's the best women in the world :)
If you really want him to be happy then someone's physical appearance or age shouldn't matter. If Ms. Brahimi is a good person, then she will continue to be. Being a stunning beauty or a young twenty-something is not going to make someone a good and decent person. It does not make one "better" as you put it. It only makes you "cuter" and "younger."

Frankly, Ali can do far worse, far far far worse. Who is to say that Ms. Brahimi is not the best thing to ever happen to Ali?

Oh well, Maybe you are right about the Age thing and beauty,looks isn't important,but i disagree with you about what you said about Ali,He's a truely amazing person.

As far as Rym's looks are concerned, I frankly don't see why people are surprised. Rym is a lovely, attractive woman. She's got pretty eyes and a nice figure.

And as far as her being a CNN reporter is concerned, that just goes to show that she is an educated and articulate woman.

I think I prefer Ali marrying someone like Rym rather than a young, 20-something beauty who has absolutely no brains.

Beauty fades; personality and intellect don't.

Originally posted by Amoula@Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:23 pm
Oh well, Maybe you are right about the Age thing and beauty,looks isn't important,but i disagree with you about what you said about Ali,He's a truely amazing person.
I didn't say anything negative about Ali, but questioned how it isn't possible that at this point in his life that Rym Brahimi is not the best thing to happen to him. When a young woman, especially a commoner marries a Prince, people always say how "lucky" she is, but how do we know that Ali isn't lucky as well? As far as we know, Ms. Brahimi may be the highlight of his life and the best thing to ever happen to him. Time will certainly tell all.

What dictates that a woman should be younger than her husband? This is a thinking we seem to have inherited that has no reasonable rationale. A person is judged by looks, AGE, while completely ignoring the important things that make up a person, such as personality, education, behaviour, broadmindedness, the human touch, accomplishments etc.

Ms. Brahimi is a very respectable young lady whom I am sure many young men would be more than willing to commit to. What this marriage tells me is that Prince Ali is a broad-minded person who looks at the spiritual/inner beauty vs. the physical. This is not to demean Ms. Brahimi at all. I think she has a very classic look. She is surely a positive addition to the RJF.

BTW, some years ago Christian Amanpour of CNN (who happens to be physically quite unattractive) was voted one of the sexiest women in the States (even superceding Pamela Lee Anderson - lol). It turns out that when it comes to brains vs. looks, men find brains much much more attractive.

Is this story true? wow if it is then that's great,that's so sweet ...awww!

Thanks for the correction Sean. I really don't know how much of it it's true but I thought it was interesting...

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I just wanted to say congratulations to P. Ali and Ms. Brahimi's engagement. I wish them much love, fortune, and happiness. Also, I'd like to say true love is hard to find, so when it comes along, outside factors such as race, age, etc. shouldn't even matter. What matters most is what they share, and it makes them happy.

I see rym is cute and after all she is cnn reporter she will know how to make prince ali happy :p ,i just wish that prince ali choose her to be his wife not arranged :wacko: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: i wish peince ali happiness and i wish him agood luck :flower: :flower: :heart:

I can't wait to Rym and Ali's married, or reception, or what it's going to be called. Pardon my ignorance, please.

Originally posted by sommone@May 28th, 2004 - 11:46 am
I can't wait to Rym and Ali's married, or reception, or what it's going to be called. Pardon my ignorance, please.
It's going to be a wedding ceremony. Right now, they're engaged.

Thanks...I hate to look ignorant. So that's why I ask for my ignorance to be pardoned. :doh:

I think it will be a more Circassian wedding than an Arabic wedding! And we all will wish our best to our Prince!! Hope that will be soon and with an Circassian!!!

Originally posted by sommone@May 28th, 2004 - 12:46 pm
I cant believe Ali is really going to marry her. She looks much older than him, also she is soo plain. I dont like her

She is older...only by four or five years...age shouldn't make a difference though, especially when true love is involved. As far how she looks, I thought she was pretty, but I just don't like her teeth. I still wish them all best. Prince Ali is still my favorite.

I cant believe Ali is really going to marry her. She looks much older than him, also she is soo plain. I dont like her
What exactly is he brining to the table? She has a career, and a very powerful father. He has?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom