What now for Princess Charlène: Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^ previous
Loonytick, you raise some interesting points. To add to that, P Albert did say before the wedding that his wife would not be expected to fulfill the traditional role of Princess Consort. And then P Charlene mentioned that the Palace did not know what to do with her, since they had been without a Princess for many years. They both indicated that they are happy for her to be a full time mother for the moment. But recently P Albert said that P Charlene wanted to and will do more in Monaco. All very confusing. It will be very helpful if there could be some official statement as to her role and what is expected of her. With things as they are, people are becoming disappointed and frustrated with her seeming absence. And maybe this is unfair to the Princess. We know there are events that she attends that are not mentioned or covered by the press.

My guess (or hope) is that she is currently training really hard for the upcoming, very strenuous, water challenges, and that she will be more involved and present in Monaco once the twins start formal schooling, which I believe is around 3 years of age in Europe(?)

Princess Grace married Prince Rainier in 1956 and in 1958 she had already delivered Caroline and Albert, the heir, and at the same time she learnt french, she was fluent in this language, and she jumped into her new role of Princess Consort. Again in 2 years time.

Furthermore it's not true that until Albert's wedding there's not the First Lady acting in the Principality. Since the end of 1982 as Rainier said, more than once, Caroline stepped into her mother shoes. Thanks God she is still doing a great job for her Pincincipaliy.

well if he said she's not expected to fulfil the "usual" charity duties of Princess Consort, what is the fuss about? She's supposed to do what the Monaco people and their prince require of her...

^^^ previous
Exactly, true. If P Albert and the Monegasque people are happy, then all is good. Of course, we would like to see her more, and in time I think we will.

^^^ previous
Exactly, true. If P Albert and the Monegasque people are happy, then all is good. Of course, we would like to see her more, and in time I think we will.

Perhaps the people of Monaco are NOT happy that she hardly shows in their country; in representing them abroad or in speaking their language. If I was a Monegasque there's not much about her that I would be impressed by.

Perhaps the people of Monaco are NOT happy that she hardly shows in their country; in representing them abroad or in speaking their language. If I was a Monegasque there's not much about her that I would be impressed by.
There are quite a few who aren't - I know that for a fact.

So then it would be nice to see comments from Monegasque citizens here...

If I were a Monegasque citizen I would also like to see her more often, but again, there are times when her attendance at events aren't reported on.

If I were a Monegasque citizen I would also like to see her more often, but again, there are times when her attendance at events aren't reported on.
Don't know if there are any in this forums. I know from people I know in Monaco and the Cote d'Azur and from other groups I'm in.

I'm curious as to what events she attends that get ignored ...

Florestane, I'm aware of a few occasions.

-Titiromi posted a while back about a concert given by a Christian group.
-As part of the pre-Christmas events she visited a Kindergarten/pre-school. This is an annual event and previous years there were pictures on all the big agencies. Last year, no pics.
-I'm aware of a retirement home she visited. She had lunch with the residents and introduced the twins.

Maybe these are low key events. But I'm sure those who were present appreciated her being there.

Yes, I remember the concert and I saw the pre-publicity about it so I kept an eye open for any info - I recall being quite surprised at there being no pics.

I suppose one reason for keeping some of those visits low key could be if she took the twins.

I just find it all a bit surprising as I'm sure the Palace is perfectly aware of some of the muttering that goes on and you'd think they would want to do something about it. Perhaps it's the old "never complain, never explain".

I also know she has her supporters in Monaco - maybe I'm just quite aware of it at the moment because apart from the horse racing events, she's been very low key recently.

I believe Charlene and Caroline have some sort of an understanding. I'm not sure if my theory is true, but I think that Caroline got to keep the parts of her role that were important to her even after Al married Char. I believe this is why Charlene no longer attends the bal de la rose and Caroline does not attend the Red Cross ball. I'm thinking it was done in a friendly way so that Caroline would not be taken out of the limelight (that she deserves TBH).

Charlene said before she cleared up her schedule to take care of the twins, which I think is fair, she even stopped attending fashion shows in Paris and Milan, so it's not just royal functions that she stopped going to. I don't want to compare royals to each other but even now Charlene does more work than Mette-Marit and the DoC.

However, I think she needs to get on learning French. She can speak the language but not very fluently and I'm thinking the population of Monaco is making it easier for her not to learn. She also needs to step up her royal glamour game, the people wanna see you in a tiara, just give it to them!

Last edited:
^^^ previous
I think you may well be correct in your assessment above. And it seems fair that P Caroline should continue with the causes that she is passionate about. Just as P Stephanie is continuing with hers.

But yes, we miss seeing her in those gorgeous evening dresses...and with a tiara!

:previous: I have never really believed the silly rumors of a feud between the Hanover/Casiraghis and Princess Charlene. But I just so much loved seeing the glamorous and genetically blessed Princely Family of Monaco all together in full effect that I am sad to see them divide up their appearances, particularly the Rose and Red Cross Balls..:sad:

I agree C4A, Charlene needs to make an appearance in full regalia at a least ONE
formal event. No one does it(glamour) better, imo!;)

I believe Charlene and Caroline have some sort of an understanding. I'm not sure if my theory is true, but I think that Caroline got to keep the parts of her role that were important to her even after Al married Char. I believe this is why Charlene no longer attend the bal de la rose and Caroline does not attend the Red Cross ball. I'm thinking it was done in a friendly so that Caroline would not be taken out of the limelight (that she deserves TBH).

Charlene said before she cleared up her schedule to take care of the twins, which I think is fair, she even stopped attending fashion shows in Paris and Milan, so it's not just royal functions that she stopped going to. I don't want to compare royals to each other but even now Charlene does more work than Mette-Marit and the DoC.

However, I think she needs to get on learning French. She can speak the language but not very fluently and I'm thinking the population of Monaco is making it easier for her not to learn. She also needs to step up her royal glamour game, the people wanna see you in a tiara, just give it to them!

Personally, I don't think Charlene would have taken on the culture things Caroline does because it's not her area of interest in particular.

Comparing across royals isn't always fair because situations are different but it does serve as some kind of reference for those of us looking in from the outside. So from my viewpoint Charlene's circumstances are different from Catherine's and Mette-Marit - she's married to a reigning Prince, the other two are lower down the food chain at the moment. But Monaco is smaller so... Also, I totally disagree she does more than them - I've seen plenty of photos of engagements they have attended in the last few months, Charlene's can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Maybe she's spending time with the twins, maybe she's taking back to back meetings, maybe she's studying, maybe she's lounging around eating chocolate all day or maybe she's taking a French immersion course - we just don't know, but I find her lack of visibility strange. Time will tell...

Charlene said in a lot of interview, in Paris Match, that she wanted a light agenda for 2017 because she wants to be with her children , that their first years are very important in the life of a person and they will never come back, she is looking after their education .
She has the support of Albert, they are agreed about the education of Jacques and Gabriella and I think that Albert is the only person to say something about the behaviour of Charlene if she has to be present to an event or not . He is soon 60 and the education of Jacques who will be the next prince sovereign or the head of state of Monaco has not to be negliged, Albert is always travelling and the people of Monaco is saying, ' happily the princess Charlene is staying in Monaco because the children would be alone left to the hands of the nurses what is not good in the life of a child.
Charlene having the support of Albert and the people of Monaco, I don't see anything wrong to comment.
Next sunday, the princely couple will receive the AS team of Monaco at the palace because Monaco is Champion of France, Charlene will be present. It is her job
Next weet will be the Grand Prix of Monaco with the reception at the palace , the visit to the handicaped persons who are visiting the Grand Prix and she will give the price to the winner
From june 1st to june 3th there will be the Monte Carlo fashion week under the patronage of the princess Charlene of Monaco. Last year, she gave the price to the winner of the fashion. I recall you that she said before her wedding that she wanted to do from the principality a place of fashion, I remembered that she got a lot of critics on RF at that time, in 2013, under her patronage these was the first fashion week in Monaco, Charlene made come to walk Dior in 2013 and Vuitton in 2014, it was the first time that two big designers come in Monaco to do a fashion walk, now the Monte carlo fashion week is at his 5th year and it becomes very famious

On june 4th, there will be the Riviera water bike challenge to raise money for her foundation, to build an aquatic center in Burkina faso and an center for first aids with the help of the Red Cross of Monaco.it is the first water bike challenge in the world and it is the idea of the princess Charlene

Last february, on the idea of Charlene, there was the first charity Mile , a charity horse in Cagnes sur Mer, 18 monegash and french associations received money and all said thank to Charlene for this action, there will be an another charity Mile,next year.and it will be more big after the director of the races of Cagnes sur Mer)

The sainte Devote tournament is now a big sucess and the Monaco South Africa exchange is also a big sucess , Charlene said that there will be other children of other countries who will be part of these exchanges.

Charlene is also very busy with her foundation, there is also a work we never see behing the walls of the palace , I advice you to look at her instagram and you will see that Charlene is also active.

I will not speak about her presence to the special olympics opening ceremony , apart the hereditary couple of Luxembourg , there were no royals who came to these opening ceremony or closing ceremony. (oh it is not very glamorious and I will not say more

Yes, she is not parading with a tiara on her head at royal meetings which bring nothing but she is present near persons in need as handicaped persons or poor persons, she is doing her events , she is doing her road and we can see that her mission is to help the persons.
Nobody gives her presidences of associations, Albert keeps his presidences of all the sports , of the charity associations , Caroline is keeping her persidences of the associations she received when her mother is dead ( art, PGrace foundation, Amadeand so) Stephanie is president of FightAids , Stephanie never received a presidence apart the circus gala but she founded the association of fightAids Also Charlene is founding associations or foundations as her sister in law.
Monaco is very small and there is not a nursery, a school to visite or to launch and everybody in the princely family is keeping his presidence even the baroness of massy who keeps his presidence in some sports. Nobody is walking on the road of other , all is right
Charlene is near Albert for the inaugurations of children garden, schools or colleges, she is also near Albert for the giving gifts to the handicaped children, the children in the nurseries or at the red cross center during the national fest or the christmas times. She is also present to the Sainte Devote fests whivh is a very important , it is a national fest .

There are also very important ceremonies we never saw before as the reception of the ministers, ambassadors, prelats after the Sainte Devote mass

Of course when the news is published on the RF, no comments but when Charlene is not present, everybody is coming with the canons to critic

Last edited by a moderator:
For goodness sake - if we never saw it before how can we comment? Nobody is here with a cannon but if I want to criticise I will...

It is actually possible to bring up children and do more than she does especially with the help she has.

I do follow her Instagram - I see no evidence of any events other than the ones already publicised.

I'm looking forward to all these engagements in the next few weeks. I hope she is there - it would be nice to see her.

I have seen some fashion events in Monaco - some which have involved Charlene and some of which already occurred as fashion was not non-existent in Monaco before she arrived.

And finally, I know plenty of Monegasques are very happy with Charlene but I also know a fair number are questioning her implication in the life of the Principality.

You have the right to critic,her but I have also the right to defenf her,

As I said Albert is her support in the education of the children and also the people of Monaco, My sister and my daughter are married with monegash residents, I was still in monaco last week and all the monegash people are saying that they appreciate Charlene and they understand that she prefers to be with her children, ' as a monegash said me , we had no princess of Monaco during 30 years and we could live without a princess consort but two children could not live without their mother, an armada of nurses are not a mother and we understand that our princess prefers to be with them during their first years, in france and Monaco, the wifes could stop to work until their child would be 3, why a princess could not do like them, she is a mother like other mothers '.

Untill 20013, there were never fashion weeks in Monaco, the rich residents claimed that Monaco was a desert , they had to go to Paris or Turino. In 2013, the MonteCarlo fashion week was founded , it was the idea of Charlene , she said it in Vogue before her wedding, she made come the fashion walk of Dior and Vuitton in 2013 and 2014 it is the 5th years of the fashion week of Monte carlo, it is not only a meeting of cloths designers but also designers of assecoiris as bags, make up,jewelleries and it became very famious, I remembered that a lot of readers joked about the Royal forums when she told about her project about the Monaco becoming a fashion place.

Charlene said in a lot of interview, in Paris Match, that she wanted a light agenda for 2017 because she wants to be with her children , that their first years are very important in the life of a person and they will never come back, she is looking after their education .
She has the support of Albert, they are agreed about the education of Jacques and Gabriella and I think that Albert is the only person to say something about the behaviour of Charlene if she has to be present to an event or not . He is soon 60 and the education of Jacques who will be the next prince sovereign or the head of state of Monaco has not to be negliged, Albert is always travelling and the people of Monaco is saying, ' happily the princess Charlene is staying in Monaco because the children would be alone left to the hands of the nurses what is not good in the life of a child.
Charlene having the support of Albert and the people of Monaco, I don't see anything wrong to comment.
Next sunday, the princely couple will receive the AS team of Monaco at the palace because Monaco is Champion of France, Charlene will be present. It is her job
Next weet will be the Grand Prix of Monaco with the reception at the palace , the visit to the handicaped persons who are visiting the Grand Prix and she will give the price to the winner
From june 1st to june 3th there will be the Monte Carlo fashion week under the patronage of the princess Charlene of Monaco. Last year, she gave the price to the winner of the fashion. I recall you that she said before her wedding that she wanted to do from the principality a place of fashion, I remembered that she got a lot of critics on RF at that time, in 2013, under her patronage these was the first fashion week in Monaco, Charlene made come to walk Dior in 2013 and Vuitton in 2014, it was the first time that two big designers come in Monaco to do a fashion walk, now the Monte carlo fashion week is at his 5th year and it becomes very famious

On june 4th, there will be the Riviera water bike challenge to raise money for her foundation, to build an aquatic center in Burkina faso and an center for first aids with the help of the Red Cross of Monaco.it is the first water bike challenge in the world and it is the idea of the princess Charlene

Last february, on the idea of Charlene, there was the first charity Mile , a charity horse in Cagnes sur Mer, 18 monegash and french associations received money and all said thank to Charlene for this action, there will be an another charity Mile,next year.and it will be more big after the director of the races of Cagnes sur Mer)

The sainte Devote tournament is now a big sucess and the Monaco South Africa exchange is also a big sucess , Charlene said that there will be other children of other countries who will be part of these exchanges.

Charlene is also very busy with her foundation, there is also a work we never see behing the walls of the palace , I advice you to look at her instagram and you will see that Charlene is also active.

I will not speak about her presence to the special olympics opening ceremony , apart the hereditary couple of Luxembourg , there were no royals who came to these opening ceremony or closing ceremony. (oh it is not very glamorious and I will not say more

Yes, she is not parading with a tiara on her head at royal meetings which bring nothing but she is present near persons in need as handicaped persons or poor persons, she is doing her events , she is doing her road and we can see that her mission is to help the persons.
Nobody gives her presidences of associations, Albert keeps his presidences of all the sports , of the charity associations , Caroline is keeping her persidences of the associations she received when her mother is dead ( art, PGrace foundation, Amadeand so) Stephanie is president of FightAids , Stephanie never received a presidence apart the circus gala but she founded the association of fightAids Also Charlene is founding associations or foundations as her sister in law.
Monaco is very small and there is not a nursery, a school to visite or to launch and everybody in the princely family is keeping his presidence even the baroness of massy who keeps his presidence in some sports. Nobody is walking on the road of other , all is right
Charlene is near Albert for the inaugurations of children garden, schools or colleges, she is also near Albert for the giving gifts to the handicaped children, the children in the nurseries or at the red cross center during the national fest or the christmas times. She is also present to the Sainte Devote fests whivh is a very important , it is a national fest .

And if on top of that she would accompany her husband to some high profile events, she would get less critisism I guess

A job of a princess is not only parading with a tiara a t a royal party, it brings nothing apart for the readers of royal forums , Charlene prefers to be near poor persons, handicaped persons or to support handicaped people at sports events which are very important for these persons.
In her instagram, we saw that she is working behind the walls of the palace saying the contrary is not fair, in her instagram we learned that there was an agreement with english associations to learn to swim to children in London, she supported a conference of Mr bloomberg and she sent messages to it, she sent a message to the volontaries of the red cross the red cross day, to day, on her page of Facebook, there is a new saying that her foundation will support some events in France to avoid drowning. She is working with her foundation, we learned that she adopted a school in South Africa and she offered a privat garden where mothers of these children are working to get vegetables and the children can eat them at school or at home , she offers them gifts for christmas and she is following the school since 2012, of course, there were no photos during all these years but Monaco channel and interviews of Charlene in SA gave us these news

The interview of Princess Charlene when she was still Charlene Wittstock, she said that she wanted a fashion week in Monaco
Fit For a Princess: Charlene Wittstock - Vogue

It seems to me that Charlene's level of activity is right in line with what Albert said it would be, so it's likely what the family want. But opinions here seem to be mixed as to whether the people of Monaco are happy with it... It seems there may be -- may -- some difference in what the family and the people want of her.

I'm curious, to put this in context, do the Monagesque generally tend to be satisfied with their royal family's approach to events and royal work? I'm wondering in particular about how the public has felt about those times when Albert and/or Stephanie seem to have left the heavy lifting to Caroline, since that, to me, seems to be the precedent for their giving leeway to Charlene.

You have the right to critic,her but I have also the right to defenf her,

As I said Albert is her support in the education of the children and also the people of Monaco, My sister and my daughter are married with monegash residents, I was still in monaco last week and all the monegash people are saying that they appreciate Charlene and they understand that she prefers to be with her children, ' as a monegash said me , we had no princess of Monaco during 30 years and we could live without a princess consort but two children could not live without their mother, an armada of nurses are not a mother and we understand that our princess prefers to be with them during their first years, in france and Monaco, the wifes could stop to work until their child would be 3, why a princess could not do like them, she is a mother like other mothers '.

Untill 20013, there were never fashion weeks in Monaco, the rich residents claimed that Monaco was a desert , they had to go to Paris or Turino. In 2013, the MonteCarlo fashion week was founded , it was the idea of Charlene , she said it in Vogue before her wedding, she made come the fashion walk of Dior and Vuitton in 2013 and 2014 it is the 5th years of the fashion week of Monte carlo, it is not only a meeting of cloths designers but also designers of assecoiris as bags, make up,jewelleries and it became very famious, I remembered that a lot of readers joked about the Royal forums when she told about her project about the Monaco becoming a fashion place.

I didn't say you don't have the right to defend her.

I have never at any point said Albert didn't fully support her decision to be with her children - I have said I find it an odd situation.

She does have an armada of nannies - if she isn't using them what are they for - decoration? She could be more public than she is and still be a hands on mum. Whilst I'm pretty sure she isn't lounging around doing nothing all day I'm also pretty certain she isn't looking after the twins all day. That's fine but she doesn't seem to be doing much with her foundation either - not if, as you suggested, you go by her monolingual Instagram account. She didn't turn up to her foundation's Gala and the other day she didn't turn up for the athletes photo for the Waterbike event.

I know you have relatives in Monaco and therefore have some informed knowledge of local feeling. However, I also have connections with various people in Monaco and I can assure you that not ALL Monegasques appreciate Charlene and the way she approaches her role. They make comparisons to Grace and all that she did - unfair? Of course it is but it's understandable.

Is a Princess Consort necessary? No. Yes, Monaco managed for 30 years without one. They did however have Caroline and Stephanie (the first particularly so) assuming many of the duties of a Princess consort - they were present at events, implicated and visible in the life of the Principality and they managed to bring up children. So, I think it rather spurious to claim that Charlene not being around is the same.

Yes, people mocked Charlene's ideas about "bringing fashion to Monaco". For myself I have no problem with her introducing those kinds of events - they're fun and glamorous and attract people to the Principality. However, the way it came across seemed a bit over the top at the time because she was not exactly known for her amazing fashion sense to start with and her other great plan was to introduce Starbucks so... Maybe it was the way it was reported but it did come across as a bit grandiose.

You listed many events coming up - I'm looking forward to them and to seeing her at them.

For goodness sake - if we never saw it before how can we comment? Nobody is here with a cannon but if I want to criticise I will...

It is actually possible to bring up children and do more than she does especially with the help she has.

I do follow her Instagram - I see no evidence of any events other than the ones already publicised.

I'm looking forward to all these engagements in the next few weeks. I hope she is there - it would be nice to see her.

I have seen some fashion events in Monaco - some which have involved Charlene and some of which already occurred as fashion was not non-existent in Monaco before she arrived.

And finally, I know plenty of Monegasques are very happy with Charlene but I also know a fair number are questioning her implication in the life of the Principality.
Agreed. Attending one or two events in a week (just a random number I'm picking here) that last only a few hours is hardly missing out on your children's lives.

Albert has never left her job of hereditary prince , he never left the job to Caroline, at the contrary, after the death of Stefano, Caroline was not present during two years from october 1990 to 1992,she retired to Saint Remy de Provence, it was a very sad time for her and everybody understood this, she came back when she felt she could be seen in public, Rainier and Albert worked a lot during this time, after her wedding with Prince Ernst August, Caroline lived in Fontainebleau or in Hanover with her children anf her husband, she came back for the most important events as Charlene is doing it now. Albert was very present and represented his father because P Rainier was very ill. It is not true that Caroline did all the work of Albert.
For Stephanie, it is different, when her mother is dead, she was only 17, her father did not give her presidences of P Grace as he did to Albert and Caroline, she could live as Charlotte, Pauline are living but she was always present to the national fests , circus gala, she founded fightAids in 1994; it is a big association now, but nobody saw that she was working with this association and that she was visiting the P Grace hospital with her brother or her father at that time.

People of Monaco don't pay taxes, it is not as the other monarchies, Monaco is small as Hyde Park in NYC, there are not public events for everybody every day , Albert is going at all the public events, he likes this, and the princesses have their duties, Caroline with the art or charity, Charlene with her foundation, Stephanie with fightAids.
When Caroline was student to Paris, P Grace brought with her Stephanie who went to school at Paris, she lived with her two daughters in Paris and came back for the week end, Albert stayed with his father in Monaco, she was present at the most important events as the National fest, the fests of christmas , the saint devote celebrations, the bal de la rose, the grand prix, the gala of Red Cross butshe was not present to every events in monaco. before her death, P Grace gave poesie recital everywhere in the world and she was not present at all the public events but when she was at Paris, she attended the fashion walks, the events in Paris but it was not in monaco, but there were no internet at that time, it was easy.

I think you don't like Charlene and you have your idea about the job of a princess which is not mine not for other persons.

When we saw the nurses, it is on the beach on Corsica, she is training for the charitable race , water bike, she needs persons to help her when she is on the sea, but we saw her very often with one of her baby on her laps, she is looling after them, I don't see a lot of nurses, two nurses for two babys of the same age.

The monegash people is very discret about the princely family, they wait to see if a person is enough familiar to speak about the prince and princesses, I doubt they give you confidence about Charlene, she is a very good appreciated princess. At the contrary, they are all saying that she is more simple than princess Grace, they can speak with her when she is meeting them in Monaco, they saw her bringing her children to the kindergarden or when she is attending the mass every sunday at the Saint Charles church with the prince or with friends, they are happy io see that they celebrated the anniversay of the twins with people of Monaco or when the twins celebrated their second anniversary with friends of the kindergarden , the children of the staff of the palace.
As I said later, P Grace was no more present than Charlene in monaco and the people of Monaco recalls when she wanted to come back to the cinema or when she was living in Paris to look after her daughter or when she gave recital poesies around the world and it was not three days , it was very often three weeks
Caroline was not always in Monaco, she was living in Paris when she was married with EA of Hanover from 1990 to 2009 almost 10 years and Stephanie was not present in Monaco specially when she was singer or when she followed her lover who was director of the circus Knie.

The starbuck is always here, he changed of the place but it is always here and bigger than the former shop.

Charlene was not present to the gala of the riviera waterbike gala because she was at the closing ceremony of the Special olympic. and the idea of a riviera waterbike challenge is a good idea , it will attrackt medias and will raise money for the big project of the aquatic center in Burkina Faso.

In Monaco, there is also the aquaric center who was built with the princess Charlene foundation, it was the idea of Charlene that all the children of Monaco would learn the 'water safe living gestures' all the children of the college have now these lessons.
Near the Sainte devote tournament, the Monaco exchange, the charity Mile, Monte Carlo fashion week in Monaco , the riviera water bike challenge, le concours Princesse Charlene , it is already a good job she has done in monaco
I forget the Princess charlene of Monaco foundation USA, Monaco and South Africa which are touching a lot of children in the world

Albert has never left her job of hereditary prince , he never left the job to Caroline, at the contrary, after the death of Stefano, Caroline was not present during two years from october 1990 to 1992,she retired to Saint Remy de Provence, it was a very sad time for her and everybody understood this, she came back when she felt she could be seen in public, Rainier and Albert worked a lot during this time, after her wedding with Prince Ernst August, Caroline lived in Fontainebleau or in Hanover with her children anf her husband, she came back for the most important events as Charlene is doing it now. Albert was very present and represented his father because P Rainier was very ill. It is not true that Caroline did all the work of Albert.
For Stephanie, it is different, when her mother is dead, she was only 17, her father did not give her presidences of P Grace as he did to Albert and Caroline, she could live as Charlotte, Pauline are living but she was always present to the national fests , circus gala, she founded fightAids in 1994; it is a big association now, but nobody saw that she was working with this association and that she was visiting the P Grace hospital with her brother or her father at that time.

People of Monaco don't pay taxes, it is not as the other monarchies, Monaco is small as Hyde Park in NYC, there are not public events for everybody every day , Albert is going at all the public events, he likes this, and the princesses have their duties, Caroline with the art or charity, Charlene with her foundation, Stephanie with fightAids.
When Caroline was student to Paris, P Grace brought with her Stephanie who went to school at Paris, she lived with her two daughters in Paris and came back for the week end, Albert stayed with his father in Monaco, she was present at the most important events as the National fest, the fests of christmas , the saint devote celebrations, the bal de la rose, the grand prix, the gala of Red Cross butshe was not present to every events in monaco. before her death, P Grace gave poesie recital everywhere in the world and she was not present at all the public events but when she was at Paris, she attended the fashion walks, the events in Paris but it was not in monaco, but there were no internet at that time, it was easy.

I've read through the last several posts and can't see where anyone has said that Albert gave up his job or that he left it to Caroline so I confess to not understanding what you mean.

For the eight years between her mother's death and her Stefano's death Caroline was the de facto "First Lady" of Monaco and turned up to many engagements - it was rare that there would be a week where she (or Stephanie) didn't feature attending some kind of event (I'm not talking about paparazzi shots).

Caroline actually went to her first official engagement some 6-7 months after being widowed - for the Prince Pierre prize. She returned to proper public life on National Day in 1991 and gradually took on more engagements in spite of living outside the Principality. This continued after she married Prince Ernst, perhaps less than previously but still more than Charlene appears at the moment. Not to mention Stephanie also supporting her father and brother...

You're right - it's not true that Caroline did all Albert's work. But nobody said that she did so I don't understand your point... However, your memory of how much she was present in Monaco is incorrect.

Princess Grace wasn't present at every single event in Monaco and I'm not suggesting that Charlene should be either - but an appearance more frequent than once in a blue moon would be good. Princess Grace turned up to her own foundation's events and also attended various events outside of Monaco.

You're right - the Internet means the scrutiny is constant which makes life more complicated. But I still think it's weird her non-presence.

The argument that Monaco is small only carries so much water - if there were enough events in the past for the Princesses to appear almost weekly in the press why is that no longer true?

I notice you now acknowledge that Caroline and Stephanie do carry out public duties, something you appeared to refute in previous posts.

I think you don't like Charlene and you have your idea about the job of a princess which is not mine not for other persons.

When we saw the nurses, it is on the beach on Corsica, she is training for the charitable race , water bike, she needs persons to help her when she is on the sea, but we saw her very often with one of her baby on her laps, she is looling after them, I don't see a lot of nurses, two nurses for two babys of the same age.

The monegash people is very discret about the princely family, they wait to see if a person is enough familiar to speak about the prince and princesses, I doubt they give you confidence about Charlene, she is a very good appreciated princess. At the contrary, they are all saying that she is more simple than princess Grace, they can speak with her when she is meeting them in Monaco, they saw her bringing her children to the kindergarden or when she is attending the mass every sunday at the Saint Charles church with the prince or with friends, they are happy io see that they celebrated the anniversay of the twins with people of Monaco or when the twins celebrated their second anniversary with friends of the kindergarden , the children of the staff of the palace.
As I said later, P Grace was no more present than Charlene in monaco and the people of Monaco recalls when she wanted to come back to the cinema or when she was living in Paris to look after her daughter or when she gave recital poesies around the world and it was not three days , it was very often three weeks
Caroline was not always in Monaco, she was living in Paris when she was married with EA of Hanover from 1990 to 2009 almost 10 years and Stephanie was not present in Monaco specially when she was singer or when she followed her lover who was director of the circus Knie.

The starbuck is always here, he changed of the place but it is always here and bigger than the former shop.

Charlene was not present to the gala of the riviera waterbike gala because she was at the closing ceremony of the Special olympic. and the idea of a riviera waterbike challenge is a good idea , it will attrackt medias and will raise money for the big project of the aquatic center in Burkina Faso.

In Monaco, there is also the aquaric center who was built with the princess Charlene foundation, it was the idea of Charlene that all the children of Monaco would learn the 'water safe living gestures' all the children of the college have now these lessons.
Near the Sainte devote tournament, the Monaco exchange, the charity Mile, Monte Carlo fashion week in Monaco , the riviera water bike challenge, le concours Princesse Charlene , it is already a good job she has done in monaco
I forget the Princess charlene of Monaco foundation USA, Monaco and South Africa which are touching a lot of children in the world

Well, you are wrong - I like her well enough - she is warmhearted and passionate about whatever believes in - but I don't think she's perfect. You're right we don't agree on how a princess behaves but you're wrong to suggest that I'm the only person to say that.

You doubt that I know Monegasque people who would share their thoughts with me? Why? Are you the only person in the world who speaks to them? Why should anyone believe what you say? HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST THAT I AM LYING?

To be crystal clear - I know people from and in Monaco who do NOT like the lack of visibility of their Princess, don't appreciate her poor French and despair of her ever changing face. They have quite openly said this.

she is a very good appreciated princess. At the contrary, they are all saying that she is more simple than princess Grace, they can speak with her when she is meeting them in Monaco, they saw her bringing her children to the kindergarden or when she is attending the mass every sunday at the Saint Charles church with the prince or with friends, they are happy io see that they celebrated the anniversay of the twins with people of Monaco or when the twins celebrated their second anniversary with friends of the kindergarden , the children of the staff of the palace.
As I said later, P Grace was no more present than Charlene

(..) I'm surprised they can speak with her more easily than with Grace - they can't be talking French then.

You're wrong about Grace being no more present than Charlene.

And Burkina Faso needs an aquatic centre like it needs a hole in the head.

I love the Princely Family of Monaco, through all their up & downs over the last 4 decades I've been following them, and that includes Princess Charlene (so happy when Albert finally married!). :)

What I don't like is the elevating of one family member or members at the expense of another, which happens frequently with one poster in particular. I have never liked this poster in all the years I've been on this forum and imho s/he does a disservice to the entire Princely Family of Monaco (reflects badly upon them). But, one has to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Back to Princess Charlene, she's doing a good job imho. :flowers:

The discussion seems to be going around in circles. I think we all want to see P Charlene more present in Monaco. I think this will happen once the twins start school, given that P Albert recently said she wants to, and will do, more in Monaco.

So maybe there will be pictures on Sunday of the reception at the Palace for the victorious ASMonaco team. Maybe they will also attend the 50 Cent concert...if they are into rap.

I tried to explain what is the work of Charlene, what are the works of Caroline and Stephanie, we don't see them every day on the forums sometimes we saw them one time in the month or two months , we are seeing very often Albert because he is reigning and governing not like the other kings or queens ,

There are only some 6000 real monegasques. The rest of the population is "import". I think the monegasques are happy. It is a prosperous, clean and safe place to live, at the Riviera. One can imagine much worse places on the world. If Madame Grimaldi prefers to have a private life, I bet the monegasques are happy to let Madame Grimaldi do it her way...

[....] we are seeing very often Albert because he is reigning and governing not like the other kings or queens ,

Come on. Monaco has a government, a public service, a police, there is a infrastructural and urban planning office, a Court of Justice, there are social, fiscal, familial and educational agencies. Lots of professionals. Water flows out of the tap. The traffic lights are working. The children go to schools. The milieu services clean the streets. Etc.

The Prince is often not in the principality at all, as we all can see when we follow him on his endless travels to all places in the world. "He is reigning and governing not like the other kings or queens"... Come on please... Monaco is full of well-paid executives exactly doing all what is needed so that the Prince can hop on, hop off without any disturbance. Exactly like in all other monarchies and by far most republics.

Please note that this is a discussion forums....so we welcome ALL opinions....both positive and negative....as long as the negative isn't petty.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

In addition, personal attacks against fellow members WILL NOT be tolerated.

Let's stay on topic....the roles and responsibilities of Charlene.

Back
Top Bottom