What now for Princess Charlène: Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
What now for Princess Charlène: Duties, Roles and Responsibilities Thread.

229px-Royal_Monogram_of_Princess_Charlene_of_Monaco.svg.png

In order to keep the Princess Charlène Current Events thread on topic the Monaco Forum Moderators have decided to open this thread and it will thus remain open so long as the discussions remain civil,repectful and factual.

Please see this thread for discussing Princess Charlène's Current Events.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f153/princess-charlene-current-events-part-2-january-2014-a-36205-20.html#post1894815

Last edited:
After 5 years of marriage, I'd expect from Charlene that she is more reliable as Princess of Monaco, meaning that she will attend the must-do events, engage more in serious work and less in superficial photoshoots and finally master the french language.

And all this should be possible while being the mother of 1 1/2 year old twins.

I cant see her changing really , there will be more photoshoots , and if she hasn't mastered the French language yet I doubt she will do now ...

I have a different opinion, she gives 2 heirs to the throne and she is a devoted mother, she is doing a very great work whith her foundation , a new branch was launching in USA, she is a very good ambassador for Monaco with this foundation, she is doing a lot of work in Monaco
She founded the association ' snapper for all' association for desavantaged children who have difficult at school, they can visit the museum, do a vidéo with their class and the class winner can spend a week in Monaco, visiting Monaco and they receive the price from princess Charlene
She founded the South Africa exchange, the desavantaged children come to Monaco , they visit Monaco, they see how the monegash children are living in the school of Monaco and they play to the rugby at the sainte Devote tournament. desavantaged children of Monaco went during the summer holidays to south Africa to visit South Africa, this association will grow to other country .
She founded the sainte Devote tournament , international rugby team of children come to play rugby to this tournament , in the same times, handicaped children come to play rugby at this tournament.
She is the patron of the princess charlene home, she looks after these children without parents, she invits them to the palace many times at the palace, she offered gifts at each child when it is his birthday, she visited these children for the christmas fest. Monaco Matin needed a deaf person to translate the news in Monacorama, Charlene paid the study of a deaf girl who was living in the Princess Charlene Home and Charlene presented her to Monaco Matin, now this girl is the deaf translator of Monacoscopie.
She is more and more involved in the red cross of Monaco, she visited the refugees of Vintimiglia with Albert and she offered a gift to the refugees after her visit, it is a nice gesture of Charlene, it is also her role to do this.
During the national fest and christmas fest, she is visiting the nurseries, she is giving gifts to the poor persons at the red Cross center of Monaco, she is visiting the old persons in their home for old persons.
She found with her foundation and Pierre Frolla, the a quatic rescue center where all the children of Monaco are learning the gestures who safe.
She has visited a lot of schools and colleges since her wedding, the last visit is from february.
She is the patron of Monaa and this foundation is helping the hospital of Nice , this section is for autist children , she attended to the meetings for autism that Madame Ki Moon is giving each time in september.
She founded the rallye princess charlene in Monaco
She is visiting every year the handicaped children at the Grand Prix and the new mothers at the maternity for the mother day.
She is always present to the sainte Devote fest and she likes to meet the people of Monaco this day.
She is always present to the vendredi saint procession and apart this year, shewas always present to the fete dieu processsion, last year, she was alone, Albert was not present .
She is member now of the council of the princess Grace foundation USA, she is always present to the Princess Grace foundation gala, she was even alone at this gala , in 2013, last year, she made come the Princess Grace gala awards in monaco and it took place in the palace in Monaco, it was a big success.
She is opening the palace for receptions , they receive all the sport people , the singers , the very important persons during the Grand Prix at the palace, there is also a reception during the festival of the TV, they receive all the actors present at Monaco for this event.
She is always present to the Red Cross Gala even when she was pregnant.
She is now the president of the honor comittee for the big event of the rugby on june 18 and 19th at Monaco
She will be the godmother of the most luxious cruise boat on july 13th 2016.
I will stop because I need

because I need pages about her work in Monaco.
Her work is not so negativ as some people are happy to describe.
She was not present to three events this year, but she was present to other events as the visit to the refugees in Vintimiglia, the visit to the schools and college CharlesIII, sje visite d the handicaped persons and the maternity. she will preside the seven7 rugby event and she will be godmother of a cruise boat next july 13th

I give you the site of her foundation and you will see that she is doing a good work with this foundation she founded , she did not receive this foundation , all made as a lot of princesses receive , she had to work hard and now, there are new branches in USA and in South Africa

Fondation Princesse Charlene de Monaco

A doctor of the OMS in Geneve paid a tribute to Princess charlene for her work with her foundation

World Health Organization - Global report on drowning - Princess Charlene of Monaco foundation

Last edited by a moderator:
I give you the site of her foundation and you will see that she is doing a good work with this foundation she founded , she did not receive this foundation , all made as a lot of princesses receive , she had to work hard and now, there are new branches in USA and in South Africa
Could you tell me what you mean by this? :flowers:

I do not know why so many of you are always very quick to criticize Charlene. She can speak French, maybe she is not very fluent. I wonder how many of us are able to master the French language. It is not a very easy language and even though I had a French mother it was not very easy for me either. She created her foundation and she is working very, very hard to make it a success. She does a lot of things without them being mentioned in the media. I think that if she had been a princess flitting from one social event to another people would say that she is very superficial. I think that she is a wonderful person and that she is doing very worthwhile things.

Nordic, I wanted to say that Charlene founded her fondation, other princesses not all the princesses took a sucession of a foundation after their mother in law or after their mother or father.
I remembered when she founded her foundation , I read that almost all the readers said that this foundtion would fail now this foundation has two new branch in the foreign countries.
Togram you are right , Monaco is a very small country , there is not a opening of a nursery, a school a home for children every day. When P Grace is dead, Rainier shared between Albert and Caroline the présidences of the associations of P Grace, Stéphanie had almost no associations because she was yet Young , she helped her father for the gala of the circus, she founded the association of FightAids in Monaco, and now the maison de vie for the persons ill of sida.
Charlene has not a lot of associations, Caroline kept hers , Albert kept his associiations, and it is fair because, in Belgium and in spain, all the associaitions are in the hands of Letizia and in Belgium , Mathilde is the president of all the associations, Astrid , Claire, Elena are no more working it is not the same in Monaco. Charlene made her own path .
The team of communication is nulle, She visited the mothers to the maternity at the beginning of the week, we see Nothing on the FB of the palace, there was only a small report on this visit on Monaco Channel and an article in Monaco Matin, this team seems to think that there are an article and a report, the monegash people know that Charlene was doing a visit to the maternity, no need that the worlf knows that Charlene is working
In April Charlene brought Jacques and gabriella to a home for old persons, they took their brekfast with the old persons, there was Nothing in the medias apart a very little article in Monaco matin.

Nordic, I wanted to say that Charlene founded her fondation, other princesses not all the princesses took a sucession of a foundation after their mother in law or after their mother or father.
Ok, thanks.
I don't know which princesses did that, but some others, other than Charlene, founded their own foundations.

Melina, Charlene clearly has been very involved in charity work, but I don't think we can count being godmother to a ship as one of her "accomplishments."

No, Casualfan, but as a lot of princesses who baptist a boat, it is a job for her to be the ambassador of her country.

I do not know why so many of you are always very quick to criticize Charlene. She can speak French, maybe she is not very fluent. I wonder how many of us are able to master the French language. It is not a very easy language and even though I had a French mother it was not very easy for me either. She created her foundation and she is working very, very hard to make it a success. She does a lot of things without them being mentioned in the media. I think that if she had been a princess flitting from one social event to another people would say that she is very superficial. I think that she is a wonderful person and that she is doing very worthwhile things.

All of which is fine but as you say yourself it's what you think. It's subjective, we don't all think the same and honestly, the world would be a boring place if we did.

Yes, she created her foundation, its work is worthwhile - personally I find its purview a little narrow but it has found its place and is expanding - it's something she is definitely qualified to talk about. She is, and justifiably so, proud of it but I must be frank, she doesn't do the legwork - she has staff to help her achieve her aims and vision.

The palace media dept. are rubbish (it was always the case - look how they handled the reporting of Princess Grace's death). They don't report things she attends, they publish beautiful but ultimately vacuous pictures of her, the photos they choose often show her unsmiling and looking, frankly, bored.

There are people aplenty who attest to her warm friendly personality and I'm sorry, I don't think that comes across a lot of the time. And yet, when she was Charlene Wittstock, Albert's South African girlfriend it came across in spades! Big friendly smiles, she exuded happiness... Give me the girl next door with the crooked teeth and the terrible clothes over the new version.

So, all the polish seems to have made her become so reserved that she gives many people a less than favourable impression of her.

For myself, I think she could and should do more publicly, I don't believe she's a full-time mum (I've lost count of the number of different nannies I've seen) and she can't speak French. She's lived in a Francophone country for the best part of a decade, it's not that difficult a language...

Are you French speaking? Because French is quite a difficult language especially when it comes to pronunciation. Even though I am half French it is not all that easy for me. Charlene can speak French, because she herself had said that she speaks French, English and even some South African words to the twins. What they need at the Palace is a very good PR.

While I think that French is not the most difficult language around and respect that people are more or less talented for learning a language, we are talking about the Princess of Monaco, living in a french speaking environment for the last decade with tutors, teachers etc around her the whole day. If she was serious about the language she'd have become fluent a long time ago.
I will only believe that Charlene speaks french when I hear her speaking it, and 'Merci' or uttering a few words like "Tu es le prince de mon cœur" doesn't count.

People are acting like Charlene is living in an English language country that only around French when she's at her French 101 class. Its not hard to learn a language when one is immerse in it and its culture...I think it would be harder to not pick up something when one is surrounded by it. Maybe Charlene needs to do like Alexandra (or was it Marie) who told people to speak Danish around her.

Are you French speaking? Because French is quite a difficult language especially when it comes to pronunciation. Even though I am half French it is not all that easy for me. Charlene can speak French, because she herself had said that she speaks French, English and even some South African words to the twins. What they need at the Palace is a very good PR.

Yes, I am French speaking. I wasn't saying French can't be difficult but it's not _that_ difficult, especially after a decade of living in a French speaking country.

She can say she is French speaking as much as she likes - I haven't seen or heard much evidence to support that.

Afrikaans is not Charlene's native language - she is Anglophone and spent the first decade or so of her life in Zimbabwe.

But I would imagine by South African words Afrikaans might be what is meant. It might refer to some words from the other major SA languages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can assure you French is not easy to master. Already something as the gender of nouns (masculine and femine), which is virtually unknown in English, has influence on the article one uses before a noun, the pronouns and the ending of adjectives and verbs. As a native English-speaker never hindranced by the gender of nouns, Charlène suddenly has to think about that and that makes one unsecure.

Once the Prince was interviewed in English, in a Dutch TV-show, while the host was speaking a 100% perfect and beautifully spoken French. The Prince admitted he had a stammer while speaking French and therefore preferred English. So my guess is that Prince Rainier and the children always spoke English because of Princess Grace. Prince Albert and the twins on their turn probably always speak English because of Princess Charlène. Well-meant, but in this way she will never master the language.

Last edited:
Please. She has been living in Monaco for ten years, and before the time she was to become a princess, she had plenty of time to study the language, to practice with the best teachers, and to train herself speaking with the monegasque citizens or native speakers all day long.I can understand the difficulty of the language for her, I can even understand that at 30 (more or less the age when she moved to Monaco) is harder to take up a language, and I understand that maybe she is not good at foreign languages. Everyone has their expert "field".But she is barely able to speak a strings of words together, a string of words guys! Noone was asking for an business speech! So, IMO she has no excuse for not being able to handle a small conversation! And, lastly, noone is even asking her to speak a perfect french without mistakes! I'm sure the effort would be appreciated if she spoke french in public everytime she is out for a an engagement. (Very seldom lately)

Last edited:
Once the Prince was interviewed in English, in a Dutch TV-show, while the host was speaking a 100% perfect and beautifully spoken French. The Prince admitted he had a stammer while speaking French and therefore preferred English. So my guess is that Prince Rainier and the children always spoke English because of Princess Grace. Prince Albert and the twins on their turn probably always speak English because of Princess Charlène. Well-meant, but in this way she will never master the language.

Prince Rainier spoke to the children in French and Princess Grace in English. As a whole family maybe the preference was for English?

I really hope the twins are spoken to in French by Albert - he would be doing them a huge disservice if he weren't.

Unfortunately we here are not the only ones who comment on her absences, Bunte (which used to have quite mild articles on P.charlene imo) has recently published various bits about her no-shows, this is the latest
Charlène von Monaco: Ihr Thron im Fürstentum wackelt ... | BUNTE.de
"Charlene of Monaco, her throne is wavering"

The idea here is that the other ladies in Monaco are queueing to take her place: Jazmin, P.Caroline, P.Stephanie...

I'm wondering if the fact that recently many more of P.Charlene's appearances have been published by the RF is a bit of a reaction to this?

Last edited:
Princess Charlene said in ' Vogue' before her wedding that she wanted to see Monaco as a fashion place as Paris, New York or Milan
In 2013 and 2014, she made come Dior and Vuitton defile at Monaco
The Monte Carlo Fashion week was founded in 2013 with the support of the princely governemant and the princess Charlene, this fashion week support the designer who are not known a lot, the small monegash brands in fashion ( women and men), accesories (bags, jewel) shoes.
This fashion week became more and more bigger.
Charlene is promoting all the monegash brands, in 2013, she wore a dres designed by the monegash designer Papa , she often wore accessories made by monegash people . The designer who designed the uniforms of the pupils in Monaco was monegash, it was the Charlene's idea these uniforms at the school Nicolas Barre.
The announce of the palace said that Princess Charlene wished that the fashion week at Monaco become a very know place

Palais Princier de Monaco - Prince's Palace of Monaco

Young singers send her their song to have her support and she gives them her support when they have talent, she also make sing the monegash young singers as Olivia Dorato who she made sing at the 10 years festivities of the reign of P Albert, there was also the young group of rockers ' Miss America' that she is supporting. Each time Charlene helps them to begin , as she did for Matina Kayes who already sang for the princess Grace foundation gala at the palace.
Charlene became a patron for these singers.

I had a feeling Charlène only attended events she likes, most of the time to do with sports and/or children, with approval of Albert.
But she seems to be catching up this last week.

I cant see her changing really , there will be more photoshoots , and if she hasn't mastered the French language yet I doubt she will do now ...

Princess Grace really never mastered the French language either. She spoke enough to get by but she was not fluent in it either.

Princess Grace really never mastered the French language either. She spoke enough to get by but she was not fluent in it either.

Sorry - I disagree. Within 3 years of her marriage Grace was giving tv interviews in good French. She was able to hold a sustained conversation in French. She didn't always feel completely comfortable, especially in interviews - she hated searching for words to express herself - but it was significantly more than just getting by.

Is it then still possible qje would also become patron of the Monegasque Red Cross?

Back
Top Bottom