What now for Princess Charlène: Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Power" is a big word. Monaco is just a tiny spot..

Monaco has 5000 monégasques (and 32.000 foreign residents). Just drive west to the neighbouring city of Nice: the Mayor of that town is responsible for 10 times more residents than the whole principauté counts. As the principauté is depending in everything on a close cooperation with Nice (water, electricity, transport, public services, etc.) we can say that M. Estrosi (the Mayor) has more "power" knowing that Monte-Carlo is nothing without the cooperation of the intercommunale services...

A horrorful and traumatic terrorist attack took place on Quatorze Juillet 2016, in the town of Nice. The absence of Princess Charlène means that she even did not show up for her very own neighbours. That is a bit strange indeed.
:sad:

Strange and downright WRONG IMO.

Yes, that's so, and of course we don't know what sort of an arrangement he and Charlene have come to with regard to her duties. Nevertheless, it looks odd when Charlene's work pattern is so sparse in comparison to other consorts and she also doesn't turn up to semi private events like King Harald's 80th birthday party either. I'm sure Monagesques would be happy to see more of Charlene, who is elegant and lovely!

Perhaps the arrangement they have is one where Charlene produces the heir, and then does whatever she pleases?
We really don't know what they agreed when they married.

Yes, that's so, and of course we don't know what sort of an arrangement he and Charlene have come to with regard to her duties. Nevertheless, it looks odd when Charlene's work pattern is so sparse in comparison to other consorts and she also doesn't turn up to semi private events like King Harald's 80th birthday party either. I'm sure Monagesques would be happy to see more of Charlene, who is elegant and lovely!

well, in her defense, charlene is a princess of a country of 500 acres and a population of 40 thousand people. there is only so much happening in a small place like that. it would be unreasonable to compare the amount of engagements of other consorts in larger countries with one with a small population like monaco.

well, in her defense, charlene is a princess of a country of 500 acres and a population of 40 thousand people. there is only so much happening in a small place like that. it would be unreasonable to compare the amount of engagements of other consorts in larger countries with one with a small population like monaco.

True, but then, in the sea of no-events-to-attend, the remembrance of a traumatic massacre in the neighbouring city of Nice is not worth to join her husband for one hour?

Nice - Monaco is only some 23 km (12 miles).

Perhaps the arrangement they have is one where Charlene produces the heir, and then does whatever she pleases? We really don't know what they agreed when they married.

I have begun to think so. We don't know what the 'arrangement' between Charlene and Albert might be but even with someone like me who does not follow the details of Monaco formal life (I have only ever been interested in the fashion) has sensed something is 'off'. :sad: Or very different. Since the birth of the children. She's like a different person, and the change in fashion and hair is one part of it. ((..) Who knows. She just does not seem 'into' her role anymore.)

Might be just as simple as the children are her sole concern (by agreement) and she is free, as you suggest, and as seems to be being played out in fact. It is what it is, but can't help thinking that it must be sad for Albert at some level. Maybe not. It is what it is and they are both going their separate ways without ever divorcing. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
As Iceflower is saying it is not here that we can speak about Albert and Charlene relation, I will post some pics which will show you that they are very happy and in love on the good thread
But for the subjectof what she is doing

I will repeat once more a time what she did during these last months

She did a lot of events in Monaco apart when she went to South Africa to inaugurate her foundation and to visit a school she is following since her wedding?
She did a charity horse race in february where 20 associations of Monaco received money from that event, she did also a water race back to raise money to built an aquatic center and a school for children in Burkina Faso. she visited the handicaped persons who were present on the track of the grand Prix, she visited the maternity and newsmothers the mother day, she was present at her ' water safety day with the monegash pupils, she was also visiting the pool of La Turbie which was called with her name. she was present to the Saint Jean festivities with her children, she was present to the inaugauration of the ' Monaco explorations' with children and Albert, she was present to the gala of the Red Cross , she visited a home for old persons with her children and she was present with Albert and the twins at the pic nic on september 1st.
Monaco is a very tiny principauty, there is not a nursery or a school to visit( she visited them all but apart Albert, she is the one person to be seen during this summer.
We also see them with thetwins we are seeing present at all the events, she educats them to be present to public events ( Sainte Devote, Sainte devote rugby tournament with Gabriella, with Jacques at the palace when they receive the As team, the saint Jean celebrations, the inauguration of the ME, the visit to the old persons in a home, the pic nic in september.

I have not the pleasure to read your comments when the events took place and I think you are not following the actuality of Monaco.

The couple is very happy and they show it when they are in public. The tabloids seem to let them in peace and it is a good thing

Interview of Albert about Charlene

:previous: I think it is very possible to still love and to behave well in public with each other, etc., and still have an 'arrangement' regarding a marriage, especially one as publicly significant as the Monaco one. :flowers: Certainly that was the case with Albert's parents, and they were his role models, after all.

I think Charlene glows when she is around Albert. :flowers: I think she loves her children. I think she has levels of comfort with all other aspects, hence an 'arrangement' - indicative by her lack of public presence at Albert's side. It's a different kind of marriage than we see with (say) Luxembourg. She's had a long enough time to acclimate, and maybe it's just not her. It's hard to say but there have been changes so one can speculate. Albert strikes me as an easy-going type, so he is likely okay with a wide latitude of behaviors (not always allowed for him btw). JMO of course.

Last edited:
Charlene is awesome, and I mean that in the sense of filling me with awe. I did not like her at first. I was very slow to 'get' her, but now I 'get' it, I get what the fuss about. I think she was really born to do this, even more than the swimming. The swimming was her way of being noticed, but this..... To do what she's doing now, her talents are on full display. She has the bearing for this. She has a good head, good principles, sound judgement. She knows WTF she's doing and, damn, it just amazes me. She blows everyone of those other princess--by-marriage out of the water. They can't hold a candle to Charlene. JMO obviously.

PC Charlene has certainly come a long way, considering her very humble background. And it’s obvious how proud Albert is of her — allowing her also to be her own person. With the addition of the twins the picture is really complete. They’re a beautiful family and it’s a joy to follow them... [emoji4]

I also respect the work that she’s doing with her foundation, and how her personal style has evolved.

If anything, I’d like to see her more by Albert’s side at important events and improving on her French language skills. But bravo, really, for being such a shining star and a prime example of what a modern-day princess should/could be.

The photos Charlene shared of the tea with the Archbishop of Monaco show that there are a lot of engagements that usually go unpublicized. Plus, with her foundation, a lot of work is done behind the scene and I'm sure she's very involved with it. I think they need a better PR team to be honest!

you are right TheRooyalCouturier

This year, she was also very involved with the Red Cross as international ambassador of this structure for the first Aids, and godmother of the SA Red Cross, s and she was for the first time near the Prince Albert at the ceremony where volonteers of Red Cross received medals
She is also very involved with Amref ( aids for the doctors in Africa)

What impresses me the most about Charlene is her outspokenness. I love her fearlessness. Like that time there was a shark attack on an African island, some surfer was crying and whining about how we need to cull more sharks, and Charlene came out and said, "Uh, no. We cull plenty of sharks. It wouldn't have helped, and even if it would, those were waters no one had any business swimming in, because it's illegal to swim there, because it's so dirty, and that is exactly what attracts sharks to that area, and they have a right to be there, more right than we do." I'm just sitting here, like, wow, (mother of sharks) :lol:this woman is a superhero!

We haven't seen Princess Charlene in awhile do we know if she's still in Monaco or abroad on holidays?

Well, she hardly ever attended any royal event since she got married and we shouldn´t expect that to change. Obviously the Princess is sick to attend gatherings like these...?! Perhaps there is some sort of "deal" between her and her husband that they would be married without she being forced to do foreign representative duties.
In fact, this birthday was actually a private affaire - other than the recent CP of Denmark´s birthday, where heads of state, politicians and diplomats had been invited, this was miles away from a state occasion. So, here the Prcss of Monaco was not really obliged to attend (Pr. Charles is virtually a stranger to her and there are no private or any emotional ties between the 2), while IMO she should be when it comes to royal or other international events on the level of a state occasion!

Another non attendance for Princess Charlene in London last night ,Monaco's very own Greta Garbo ,I guess after the recent joint trip to Paris the Princess was over wrought.

I've noticed this too...Albert has been to the U.K. several times without her...I find it kinda odd.

LaRae

You forget that Princess Charlene was present near Albert at the celebrations of the armistices in Paris
These celebrations were more important than the privat party of the a crown prince where there were no photos and only royals

The celebrations of the armistice were more important than this birthday gala, there were 70 heads of states , important presidents as the president of USA Mr Trump and his wife , president Macron and his wife, Mr Poutine , Mrs Poutine and no royal members of other monarchies apart, the king of Marroco, the King of Spain without Letizia and grand ducal couple

The ceremonies were broadcast overall in the world

She was still in Paris last monday because she was invited at the Elysée with her children by Madame Macron

And as used, there were not a lot of comments about these events in Royal forum

Now there are the ceremonies today, ceremonies just before the national fest, this evening she will be with Albert and the princely twins at the reception of the staff of the palace

To be fair, last month Princess Charlène had an encounter with the Président de la République and the Première Dame de France, Mme Brigitte Macron, and was received by the Maire de Paris, Mme Anne Hidalgo and her husband was not there.

It is true that Prince Albert is more active, but there are more couples where one of the two is way more visible, like the Princess Lalla Salma and or the Sheikha Mozah

Charlène and the Maire de Paris: https://www.hellomonaco.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/pr1.jpg

Goodness so much fuss over what? Because the Princess doesn’t attend every royal gathering? Prince Albert doesn’t seem to mind do why should others?

She also met President O Bama and president of South Africa and Desmond Tutu , she represented the principauty of Monaco last july, also without the presence of Albert

Her presence was more important last week end when she met all the presidents at the armistices celebrations, specially when she attended the meeting of the wifes of all the head states and Madame Macron, It was more important than to the royal gala, where they arrived to diner and came back to Monaco the to morrow just to be taken in photos when their car arrived, she was right to prefer to stay with her children yesterday

The Princess Charlene of Monaco foundation is very active, it helped in many countries, this last october, it helped in Vietnam and the foundation is very active in South Africa you can see it its facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pcmfsouthafrica/

She became last week patron of the NSRI education program in South Africa

She said in an interview last july that she was working for her foundation every day, the work is behind the walls of the palace and it is not seen and as it is not seen photos, she is doing nothing for some people

On saturday november 24th, she will be president at Sion in switzerland as patron of the 24h de natation de Sion

Goodness so much fuss over what? Because the Princess doesn’t attend every royal gathering? Prince Albert doesn’t seem to mind do why should others?

It's not about not attending every royal gathering it is about not attending any event to celebrate a fellow royal since her marriage. So, apparently she needs to be forced to join royal events; any voluntary celebration (even including the inauguration of a king! Very much a state event) she is invited to, she skips.

But well, at least she does make some time for the president of Monaco's neighbouring country that the country depends on in many ways and where she lives part of the time.

And I am not sure that Albert doesn't mind. I would think he would like his wife to accompany him to these occassions instead of showing up like a bachelor even after he got married after so many years.

Her presence was more important last week end when she met all the presidents at the armistices celebrations, specially when she attended the meeting of the wifes of all the head states and Madame Macron, It was more important than to the royal gala, where they arrived to diner and came back to Monaco the to morrow just to be taken in photos when their car arrived, she was right to prefer to stay with her children yesterday

She could have done both, just like for example the grand duke and grand duchess of Luxembourg and just like Albert himself. The birthday party was not about the pictures taking at the arrival but about celebrating the future king of the UK and mingling with fellow royals. Building relationships and so on.

Its her lack of activity in general not just the non attendance at the Royal gatherings ,most royal couples do attend these events together except Prince Albert who always seems to be on his own!

Again, so much fuss over nothing really!! Some posters here act like Princess Charlene is representing themselves or as if they are from Monaco and demand that the princess attend these events to represent them personally! Get over it. Princess Charlene has no obligation to you nor anyone to attend royal events. If she wants to attend, great. If not, get over it. Move on. Find something more important and valid to complain about. Sheesh.

If not, get over it. Move on.

Err .. this thread is about the lady's duties, role and responsibilities.
We are here to discuss them, and if there is a perceived lack in that respect we ARE entitled to express it, whether you like it or not.

Oh bless your heart, dear. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, it seems some here are whining about nothing. Some here are whining about the princess as if she must attend every event or Planet Earth will stop revolving. In my humble opinion there are more important things to be discussed than whether or not Princess Charlene attended a royal event private or not. Get over it!

Whining? I think most folks, myself included, have just commented that they are wondering where she is. Myself I just found it odd Albert has been to the U.K. several times and she's rarely, if ever with him. Especially for a private event.

No need to be rude/snide with the BYH comment.

LaRae

I certainly was not being rude; however, if you decide to see the negative in everything that is not my fault. I also think several posters here whine about things that they don’t like especially when it comes to Princess Charlene. Sad really.

Again, so much fuss over nothing really!! Some posters here act like Princess Charlene is representing themselves or as if they are from Monaco and demand that the princess attend these events to represent them personally! Get over it. Princess Charlene has no obligation to you nor anyone to attend royal events. If she wants to attend, great. If not, get over it. Move on. Find something more important and valid to complain about. Sheesh.

Why are you urging others to get over it while you yourself seem the most triggered. The fellow posters arr just discussing the visibility or invisibility of the Princess of Monaco. We do not know what the 5000 monégasques think about that. No one has asked them, I suppose. So you equally can not state "they do not care".

I certainly was not being rude

You could have fooled me ?

Anyway, i've said it before and i still believe there is not a thing in Monaco that happens without P.Albert's approval, and he apparently is fine with the limited activities P.Charlene does outside her own preferred causes.
And if it's good enough for P.Albert, it's good enough for me :flowers:

Please try to discuss the topic of this thread in a civilized manner. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom