What now for Princess Charlène: Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that her most important duty and responsibility for now is:
1. as a woman - bringing up the children,
2. as a Princess Consort - bringing up the heir, which leads to the point 1.
And I think that not attending the celebrations by Princess Consort of Monaco, when the reigning Prince was there, was far smaller faux pas than sending the wife of the youngest son of the Queen (not having even the princely title) alone by the British monarchy.

Posts about Princess Charlene's latest engagements have been removed, they belong to her current events thread and should not be reposted here. Thank you for your understanding!

:innocent::innocent: maybe she is busy learning french

About time,and maybe classes in Class and Responsibility & Representation,not just the perks but also the works!
She's a darn misfit in Royal lala-land,really!To the absurd!

She gave him kids,and that was the deal?She could lead her own life after that because a divorce is to much of a financial showdown et tout?Oh really,time after time she fails to attend where she should attend as the wife of a Head of State (..) and this is not a current events thing,it's been like this since they married and Albert somehow managed to screw things up just before that.What a fake nonsense this whole Charlène charade.:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I remember it was Albert who "failed" to attend Princess Madeleine's wedding (and it was Charlene who represented Monaco then). I don't remember that he was blamed this way then.

I think Charlene is-in general- a wonderful Princess of Monaco.

She is beautiful, elegant, gracious and in my opinion the most stylish of all the women discussed on this Forum.

However, her failure to appear at events like the 80th birthday of King Harold reflects poorly on her and on Monaco. Charlene is the mother of the Heir, and these people will be her sons peers someday.

Is the problem that she is shy and socially insecure? I remember that her late mother-in-law Grace was the same way but she knew that her responsibility was to take on the entire role of Princess of Monaco, not just the parts she felt comfortable with, and she soldiered on.

She would never in a million years blow off events like the one in Norway or the Rose Ball(which Charlene always does).:sad:

I think that her most important duty and responsibility for now is:
1. as a woman - bringing up the children,
2. as a Princess Consort - bringing up the heir, which leads to the point 1.
And I think that not attending the celebrations by Princess Consort of Monaco, when the reigning Prince was there, was far smaller faux pas than sending the wife of the youngest son of the Queen (not having even the princely title) alone by the British monarchy.

You may well be right about Charlene's priorities (I think it's possible for a woman with the staff she has at her disposal to do a bit more than she does) - it seems to me that Albert doesn't appear to have a problem with the situation.

The BRF did not commit a faux pas by sending the Wessexes and you are wrong to state that there is no princely title. He is HRH Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and he is the son of a ruling monarch not some distant third cousin fifty times removed.

I think Charlene is-in general- a wonderful Princess of Monaco.

She is beautiful, elegant, gracious and in my opinion the most stylish of all the women discussed on this Forum.

However, her failure to appear at events like the 80th birthday of King Harold reflects poorly on her and on Monaco. Charlene is the mother of the Heir, and these people will be her sons peers someday.

Is the problem that she is shy and socially insecure? I remember that her late mother-in-law Grace was the same way but she knew that her responsibility was to take on the entire role of Princess of Monaco, not just the parts she felt comfortable with, and she soldiered on.

She would never in a million years blow off events like the one in Norway or the Rose Ball(which Charlene always does).:sad:

Well, it's no secret that I think Charlene is lacking in some areas of her job but I do find it strange that commentators are never satisfied with who attends birthday parties and weddings.

It would have been nice to see her there as most people were there with spouses but just as I don't get this idea that the BRF are stuck up for "only" sending Edward and Sophie to things I don't think every member of every family has to go to every event.

I guess the reason people especially notice Charlene's absence is because there is rarely a clashing engagement to explain the absence.

She may be shy and insecure - personally, I don't think Grace was especially insecure and her acting career would have given her coping strategies as well - but I always get the impression that she's quite confident when I see her interviews (I know that doesn't mean she is) - she can be quite brusque and forthright in some of the things she says.

It was a pity that Albert was left to attend another royal event alone yet again but if the Princess had other commitments then fair enough.

It's almost as if they agreed that she take on full-time housewife duties upon marriage and especially after motherhood while still dabbling on occasional social and charitable engagements, which is a different approach to ladies who marry into royalty and treat their new role as Princesses as a full-time career that replaced their previous careers.

It's almost as if they agreed that she take on full-time housewife duties upon marriage and especially after motherhood while still dabbling on occasional social and charitable engagements, which is a different approach to ladies who marry into royalty and treat their new role as Princesses as a full-time career that replaced their previous careers.

I wonder what full time housewife duties means for the princess of monaco who has lots of staff at her disposal. whenever we see her out and about with the twins, you see nannies in the picture too. and i doubt she will clean the kitchen or iron albert's shirts herself.

:previous:
Look, I was trying to avoid the words "lady of leisure"... :whistling: :D

In all seriousness though, no idea how she fills her time but it is unfortunate when, due to lack of public appearances, she is inevitably compared to others in her position or her predecessor, and is found lacking. It does Monaco no good when the Consort is seen as an underachiever, a recluse, or worse, as lazy.

Apologies ahead to those who might be offended but it is a curious thing, her unexplained absence in key events.

Last edited:
I also think it's starting to become a negative thing. Charlene and Albert are hardly ever together at these type of events, while it would seem that it would be the perfect opportunity to show unity but alas.

Charlene doesn't seem to take up the opportunity to do more good, to promote Monaco, the House of Grimaldi or even causes close to her own heart, even though she could and perhaps even should. Yes, she has young children, but so do the rest of the Royals in the prominent houses and they're out and about.

:previous:I have to disagree that she doesn't promote causes close to her heart.

One of the things I admire most about her is her commitment to her causes, the main one which seems to be underprivileged and disabled children. Her appearance at the Special Olympics with the Monaco team marching arm in arm with the athletes almost brought tears to my eyes.

But there is more to being Princess of Monaco than promoting one's pet causes. Monaco is not like Belgium or Britain. She needs to embrace every part of being Princess including the social aspects of it. She is not shy about appearing with TV starlets and musicians, or making appearances in Monaco. she just seems to balk at being at events with her Royal Continental peers.

Ironically this did not seem to be the case before her wedding, when she went to the Cambridge wedding.

I have no idea what's going on.:sad:

She went not only to the Cambridge Wedding, she went to another royal wedding 2 days before her engagement with Prince Albert. In this occasion Prince Albert asked for a special permission to have her on his side to the Royal House (I don't remember if it was Denmark or Netherland) even if they were not officially engaged. What's going on up there? Only time will tell.

She went not only to the Cambridge Wedding, she went to another royal wedding 2 days before her engagement with Prince Albert. In this occasion Prince Albert asked for a special permission to have her on his side to the Royal House (I don't remember if it was Denmark or Netherland) even if they were not officially engaged. What's going on up there? Only time will tell.

You are thinking Victoria and Daniels which was a week before their engagement was announced. The Dutch and Danish were years earlier.

:previous:I have to disagree that she doesn't promote causes close to her heart.

One of the things I admire most about her is her commitment to her causes, the main one which seems to be underprivileged and disabled children. Her appearance at the Special Olympics with the Monaco team marching arm in arm with the athletes almost brought tears to my eyes.

But there is more to being Princess of Monaco than promoting one's pet causes. Monaco is not like Belgium or Britain. She needs to embrace every part of being Princess including the social aspects of it. She is not shy about appearing with TV starlets and musicians, or making appearances in Monaco. she just seems to balk at being at events with her Royal Continental peers.

Ironically this did not seem to be the case before her wedding, when she went to the Cambridge wedding.

I have no idea what's going on.:sad:
But she's hardly visible doing these causes and doesn't get much widespread attention. That is a shame.

Perhaps Charlene could go to lunch with Kate & William considering they barely show themselves to their continental peers either. Lots in common.

But she's hardly visible doing these causes and doesn't get much widespread attention. That is a shame.

Perhaps Charlene could go to lunch with Kate & William considering they barely show themselves to their continental peers either. Lots in common.

Disagree about them having lots in common - Catherine and William may not be especially visible to their continental peers but they're certainly visible in their own country; not something Charlene can say. They're also not reigning so their position is not exactly the same.

And Catherine did make it Luxembourg the other day - maybe their profile is going to start to increase?

Don't know what's going on with Charlene - another event in Monaco today that Albert attended with other members of his family.

I don't think Kate and William would be considered peers to many of the continental royals...I think that would be Charles and Camilla. I also wouldn't say that Kate and William are in the same position as Charlene. She's married to the monarch and William is heir to the heir.

It is quite strange that Charlene is not attending many events. I feel like I saw her more when she was Albert's girlfriend/ fiancee. I know she has young children and wants to spend as much time with them as possible, but she also can't forget her role as Princess of Monaco and she will need to learn how to balance being a working mother.

Last edited:
I think generally Charlene has been a disappointment and I say that as a great fan upon her engagement. I think it is really shocking she is not fluent in French it is an amazing language and I can say not too difficult to learn. Even I am managing it and I have 2 jobs!!!! So I could go on however I won't ... just to say I expected better things from her and she has not delivered for me anyway!

I think generally Charlene has been a disappointment and I say that as a great fan upon her engagement. I think it is really shocking she is not fluent in French it is an amazing language and I can say not too difficult to learn. Even I am managing it and I have 2 jobs!!!! So I could go on however I won't ... just to say I expected better things from her and she has not delivered for me anyway!
I also find her disappointing and unengaged in her life in Monaco. Her foundation is great and she obviously has a great rapport with children in particular - but it's not enough. She should be far more present than she is, she needs to look pleased to be where she is when does pitch up to something in Monaco and sorry, but the lack of French is pretty dreadful. She's lived there for a decade!!!

She did things before her marriage by way of getting her prepared for her new role including attending 2 royal weddings and accompanying Albert on a State visit to Ireland and an official visit to Japan where she visited the Emperor and Empress at the Imperial palace. She made reference to these events in one of her engagement interviews where she said she now felt "pretty schooled up"for her new life. She then becomes POM and goes on some official visits up until getting pregnant and then everything stops. I gave her a pass for quite a long time after her children's birth but the situation has now become ridiculous. It's not only not attending official business abroad but she's also steadily shed major events in Monaco too. No more attendance at the circus festival; the Rose ball or the official dinner in the evening of the Grand Prix race and her presence at the final of the Monte Carlo masters tennis tournament is also no longer guaranteed. Whoever advises the Princely family must make them aware that all of this just isn't good enough.

:previous: She's also radically changed her presentation style. It's interesting taken altogether. :cool: It's like she's done with it all. Curious.

Seems like they are married in name only. Especially when you think of all the rumors floating around.

Well, Charlène has essentially "done" her primary job: give Monaco a Heir and a spare. But let us not exaggerate, the Principauté de Monaco is just a small city with 16.000 residents. It would be overkill when the Princess shows up at every event.

Well, Charlène has essentially "done" her primary job: give Monaco a Heir and a spare. But let us not exaggerate, the Principauté de Monaco is just a small city with 16.000 residents. It would be overkill when the Princess shows up at every event.
Well, it would be nice if she could pitch up to something more than once in a blue moon.

There is more to being a princess than just heirs!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think she does have to step up a bit more , I know she is in training for her water bike races , but that doesn't take all day .

A royal woman's main job requirement is indeed having heirs. Of course they are generally expected to do some charity and representational work...but Monaco IS a small place and frankly its RF isn't that grand a one... if the people of Monaco and the RF are satifisfied with her work, then I'd say that is the important thing.. For many years there was no princess, and Caroline was the first lady, and I assume that she still does a lot of the royal lady work..

The Monagesque royals have long had a confusing approach to who shows up to what. As I recall, there was a stretch during Albert's bachelorhood when it seemed like Caroline was handling most of things that should have been his assignments, Stephanie has essentially dropped in and out of royal life willy nilly over the years...I'm not sure how much should be read as Charlene not taking her duties seriously and how much is just that this particular family may not have same expectations of her as would normally be be the case in another royal house.

Back
Top Bottom