What Charlene Can do to make her mark on Monaco?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
Much has been made about what Charlene does not bring (i.e. her lack of education, her lack of charity work, etc) to the table as future Princess of Monaco. This is not the place to bash Charlene on what she isn't. That is not the purpose of this thread. Please offer suggestions on what you think Charlene can do to make her mark in a positive way as future Princess of Monaco.

Let's try to keep the Grace comparisons to a minimum. Charlene is NOT Grace.

Also, please respect the opinion of other TRF posters who might disagree with you. You can't expect people to respect your opinion, if you don't respect theirs. We can all agree to disagree.

Thanks!

Zonk

Monaco Forums Moderator

I honestly think she brings something to Monaco in her own way. We just have to give her time to really establish herself in her role. She most likely will be doing charitable work, but I do think she could spice it up more by doing something to promote Monaco. She could maybe start a medical research team or start an olympic team for the handicapped (since she herself was involved in it). She could do something for orphans and widows...the list is almost endless. I personally think in the years to come she will make her mark. She'll probably rise to be the face of Monaco.
If only people would give her time!

Given her background in athletics she could become involved with organizations such as Right To Play and the International Para Olympic Committee. She could also do work for SOS Childrens Villages, UNICEF and the Mandela Foundation. She might also establish a Family Support Foundation to assist families dealing with the care of aging parents or children with disabilities/terminal illness.
What ever she does become involved with will likely develop over time as I would expect the first few years to involve a couple of pregnancies and caring for her children.

CW has already said in an interview that she wants to do things with swimming, children, and Africa.

Apart from that, does anyone know whether she has expressed any interest in any other fields of work?

Only her presence will draw people into getting interested in Monaco again !

I suppose the easiest way to leave a mark is to get a heir and a spare ;).
But considering her Olympic carreer it is likely that she will be involved with some causes dealing with sport.

Rominet, I don't agree with you about CW's possible or potential influence.

Monaco itself has been "branded" as a Sports Hub by PA. Sport is the key element in the place that is Monaco.

CW may have some influence in the future.

You are right Renata4711, it is just that I paid no interest to Monaco before Charlene and now I avidly read everything about it !

I think Rominet09's interest in Monaco due to the appearance is Charlene is an example of people who might follow the principality now. Just as had no interest in the Dutch royals until Maxima appeared, I simply wasn't aware of them.

And I certainly know and understand that Charlene's eventual acceptance in the Princely Family might cause some angst and are unhappy but that is not the purpose of this thread.

Coming back to the international Sports Hub instituted by PA, this project is the very thing that would give them a "sporting" platform - either as individuals or as a couple.

Perhaps PA is more shrewd than people think.
There are plenty of Royals who practise a particular sport.

Monaco, on the other hand, has two Olympians as the Reigning Couple. This strengthens their brand further.

On top of this, they have - again - demonstrated that the Olympic Ideal matters to them a lot. I suspect that the change of wedding date is another pointer in that direction.

- Have an own agenda with a clear strategy (do only stuff that comes natural like sports etc, apart from the usual focus on children)
- Speak French FLUENTLY. After dating PA and having lived in Monaco for some years that particular task could be fulfilled by now.

As usual, I agree with DoM..in addition she should familiarize herself as much as possible with the Principality's history, as well as the histories of Spain and Italy and of course France since these countries played a crucial role in the evolution of Monaco.

And without encroaching on Princess Caroline's territory, it will crucial for the new Princess to involve herself in Monaco's rich cultural life.

Maybe she can take an active role on some type of board for fundraising for the Princess Grace Hospital, obtaining needed improvements in technology, etc.

State/official visits will get much more attention I guess, so far Prince
Albert's journey's often got lost and there was not much coverage
in the media, I think that will change and will support Albert's foreign
relations (as far as public relations is concerned).

Nice would be more cooperations with other royal houses, thinking for
example of Princess Caroline and the Kings of Spain who attended an
event together in San Sebastián, Spain last year. A special field of
interests Charlene would stand for, would make that easier.

Okay, so she needs to come up with an heir and a spare. But, looking back in history, this alone did not save Diana.

CW's relationship with PA is the crucial aspect. Let's hope that relationship will weather the inevitable storms.

She needs to do all of them actually: provide a legitimate heir who can suceed Albert, establish a great working relationship with Albert and start working with and for the citizens of Monaco.

I think if she does all of this, she will develop a separate identity from Grace.

She is a tall blonde, she cant help that she favors Grace (not looks like her). Unless she dyes her hair or allows it go grow, there isn't much she can do to fight the Grace comparisons.

Last edited:
A tall order for a tall blonde....

Apart from all that has been suggested, she will have to have nerves of steel, once the paparazzi have stopped their "honeymoon" attitude.

Our (rather mild) criticisms of her will seem like nothing, compared to the press pack.

I think the most important thing she can do for Monaco is to create a happy and successful home life for Prince Albert!

For all their beauty and glamour, the Grimaldis seem to have a sort of curse on their marriages...their happiness never seems to last. :sad:

I would love to see Albert and Charlene break the "curse".

I think it would be an incredible move for Charlene to committ herself to focusing on the worldwide obesity epidemic amongst children by using her history and experiences as an Olympian to help education people on the benefits of eating healthily and exercising and how they can maintain will power and determination. The world already has Brangelina focusing on refugees, Diana was the People's Princess and Grace used her Hollywood connections to "promote" Monaco, so I think it makes Sense for Charlene to use her sporting background to promote a positive healthy image for children.

Apart from all that has been suggested, she will have to have nerves of steel, once the paparazzi have stopped their "honeymoon" attitude.

Our (rather mild) criticisms of her will seem like nothing, compared to the press pack.
But isn't the press in Monaco rather tame compared to the press in other countries? I read that Ranier had surveilance cameras installed throughout Monaco so I don't think the paparazzi will harrass her on the streets of Monaco and get away with it.
Albert doesn't seem to be criticized much by the French/Monaco press.

Over the weekend in the state of Louisiana, 6 young people lost their lives when they drowned in the Red River. This happened in Sherveport. They were on a sandbar and one the teen slipped into the water and fell into a sinkhole. The others tried to save them but ended up drowning. None of these young people who ranged in age from 13 to 18 knew how to swim. Sadly many people in the United States as well as the rest of the world don't know to swim.

There are many people around the world who do not know how to swim. Perhaps if Charlene stressed the importance of knowing how to swim and tried to get other countries to adopt a swimming program for their citizens this would save many people from death by drowning.

That sounds like a very good idea, especially if it was targeted at youngsters. CW could set up her own Foundation promoting swimming from an early age.

CW could also give blood regularly, and promote the giving of blood.

The opportunities in Monaco are excellent: This week one can give blood on the 10th the 12th, the 17th of August, etc...

One can give blood in the Cathedral, the Société des Bains de Mer, the Eglise Sainte Dévote, the Eglise Saint-Charles, the Centre administratif, and the Poste de Police.

The slogan of the Blood Donation centre is "Pas de sang, pas de vie" - No blood, no life.

Just to be herself. She seems to be a quiet force. No need to talk loud and rush about everywhere. Reminds me a bit of Crownprincess Mary in that way.

There's so much wise advice on this thread - I hope it gets read by someone close to Charlene. I agree that her presence alongside Albert will in itself generate much greater interest in Monaco, particularly if they have a family. Charlene will undoubtedly adopt patronages for a variety of institutions as they come available - I'm wondering if there are any areas that Princess Antoinette has been involved in that Charlene may take over. But at the same time she is bound to get involved with causes that she feels personally drawn towards. I guess we all hope that she won't confine herself to hosting fund raising parties for fashion celebs & the like. I personally think she will mature into a very worthy Princess of Monaco, but as other people have said, she must be allowed time to achieve this. It is well documented that Grace struggled in her early years in Monaco, but Charlene does seem to have the support of the other members of the family, & Albert appears to be more relaxed in his approach to his role than Rainier was.

(..) She can do so many things for Monaco She can do charity Help children Fight cancer, AIDS, malaria, violence and poverty She can help to eliminate drugs, smoking and alcohol For me she's the impersonation of the Fairy Godmother that helped Cinderella to overcome all the difficulties Additionally Charlene will show to the world how a real Princess should look and behave even if she wasn't born royal Girls, take notes;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That may be a bit too optimistic .... even if she did only a small part of what you suggest, she'd be a star!

But let's not load too much onto her work schedule.

And some will probably not agree that she is a "real" princess. She has a very long way to go before people in general will give her the benefit of the doubt.

Okay, so she needs to come up with an heir and a spare. But, looking back in history, this alone did not save Diana.

CW's relationship with PA is the crucial aspect. Let's hope that relationship will weather the inevitable storms.

Sorry, although Diana's death was a tragedy, I believe she made her own bed on this one -- twice. She was not smart enough NOT to marry Charles and then decided to hook up with a nobody with a questionable reputation. The fact that she provided 2 sons is moot to the whole business.

As Charlene is more worldly at her marriage than was Diana, she has a vast head start to success in her marriage. It may not work out, but I'll bet it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom