What Charlene Can do to make her mark on Monaco?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this she had help from her teammates. If one doesn't perform well they all do bad and there were many wanting one of those spots. They pick the 4 fastest people. No one carried her.
No one said anything about her being carried unless you are implying it which I don't think you are. Your post was misleading.

I sometimes criticise CW, e.g. for not learning French, but this time I have to defend her. I cannot begin to image what it must be like competing in the Olympics, or any other high-level sports event.

So, despite all her (perceived ?) shortcomings, she is and always will be an Olympian. I think that's what PA finds attractive in her (apart from other things).

Her detractors cannot take that away from her.

Nowadays I think of CW and of her (soon-to-be) niece Pauline together - one still very young, but trying hard, and the other with her achievements still intact.
There was no reason for you to feel Charlene needed to be defended due to my post. You as others took it in a direction I wasn't going and therefore through in your own thoughts of what I was saying when I wasn't.
Detractor: A person who disparages someone or something
I don't have blinders on and I state my opinion just as you do. Your posts aren't always very nice in regards to Charlene and you admit it. Nothing in mine was meant to be taken as you did.

Wikipedia says South Africa finished 5th in the 4x100 medley in the 2000 Olympics. Also said she was the 50 meter backstroke champion several times in South Africa.
Now you have my point that you pushed off into a direction I wasn't. I rewrote some of the Wiki page on her swimming with information that came directly from one of her coaches. If the facts keep being distorted in five or ten years no one will know the true story and when it comes out people won't believe it. It will reflect poorly on the Palace PR Department and them as individuals for allowing the distortion to continue. Tell the truth.

I have known LadyMac for quite a while. She always fact checks information. I know for fact that she researched Charlene's swimming record and had direct contact with one of her coaches. What she wrote is accurate. There are many things on Charlene's resume that are not entirely accurate. The palace PR is supposed to get the facts correct, but that does not seem to be the case. Charlene may or may not even be aware of what the PR team has written.

And so we come back to the original question:
What could CW do to make her mark in Monaco?

Therefore this thread is about things Charlene may/may not or could/could not do to make some kind of impact on her presence in Monaco and elsewhere.

The answer to this - very general - question lies in the future, not the past or present.

I insist that her mark in Monaco would be the heir. I mean, i guess that would be the way to assure the Grimaldis (well, we have Caroline's children, of course the Grimaldis will never be gone) and the way to show to the world that Albert is responsible (?) and can marry. And she was the one who could do that when nobody believed that Albert would marry someday.

I think some of us may have taken the delivery of a "petit prince" for granted :)) - so, for everyone's sake, let them get on with that project !!

Quote from: KittyAtlanta: "I'm wearing a twinset right now and I don't look a thing like Grace or Charlene." Really cute! :lol:

What can CW do?

Stop smoking (if she hasn't already I thought PA hates smoking?).

Stop surgeries (use sunscreen faithfully).

Stop any attempt by anyone to do even one single more GK pose, hairstyle, clothing choice. Nobody in any royal/princely family should do this then claim not to when photo proof is pretty much irrefutable (unless photo shopped). She does not look like GK but many attempts have been made to sell that. I'm not buying it....

Cultivate her own style. Even if it does run to being more casual. I wonder what her actual real hair color would be now? Blond child does not always equal blond adult. A gradual darkening of her hair may be just the thing needed.

Don't do charity just because anyone is telling you that need to be patroness of this, or that, yet your heart is not in it. Find what makes you feel something. I'm not impressed with royal/princely lists of how many charities they support. It all becomes blah, blah, blah! Unless people have an interest in the charity they won't really care who supports it. As well just showing up for a lunch is not charity work to me. (If pressed to suggest something: if I was in her position (background, etc.) I would consider the charities which assist girls in Africa in going to school. Or start her own. Since she did not finish school, or attend University this could be something she could complete "with" these girls. Use herself as an example).

To the above suggestion: Finish her education.

Don't just rely on the "Olympian" thing. That is many years ago and people are more than one event in their life, or a career they are no longer part of.

Do Not have children unless it is what you want. The "give me a break!" spoke volumes. Not everyone needs to. As long as there are provisions for Monaco I think it is fine.

Be in love with Prince Albert. The only genuine look I have been able to see that showed tactile emotion toward PA was a look of feeling sorry for him in the interview where PA says something like when things go wrong, etc. CW says: "noooo!" and gives him a look of sympathy. If you love him let everyone (and especially him) know. If you don't is the place for you by his side? It will all only get more difficult after the wedding....

Do not be a stereotype of a royal/princely wife looking the other way. Be faithful and demand faithfulness in return. If really in love this should be no problem.

Finally be kind, gracious, polite, truthful and loving. Learn more about yourself, and your husband to be. This sounds simple, and obvious, but I have yet to see these traits really shown in many interviews, and articles where she is quoted.

Great list, Hissy!

Cultivate her own style. Even if it does run to being more casual. I wonder what her actual real hair color would be now? Blond child does not always equal blond adult. A gradual darkening of her hair may be just the thing needed.

I really like her casual style, it's her evening wear she needs to work on. Odd that you say that about her hair since PG herself let her blonde get more brownish as the years went by. (Compare pics of her hair in 1954 to 1980: it's definitely darker.)

Because it deserves to be requoted:

Quote from: KittyAtlanta: "I'm wearing a twinset right now and I don't look a thing like Grace or Charlene." Really cute!

The only persons that will say what to do in her future life are Prince Albert and the people of Monaco, not us who are strangers of the country and not her family. The only thingh I know is that Princess Stephanie said to the french channel on the tv.She likes her a lot, she is extroordinary person, she is a person very discret, honest she always suport her brother, she makes her brother happy and she is beautiful.The rests is only bla bla

Hissy, thanks for a thoughtful contribution about CW's possible conduct.

To your list I would add: "Show some maturity".

Thank you Cordelia! Yes, definitely Grace's hair went from quite platinum ice blonde during movies and more natural later. I was wondering what CW real hair color is, and if it would be naturally much darker, anything to set her apart and give her own look, etc.

Thank you Renata! Yes I have to agree show maturity would be a good addition to the list.

Perhaps CW is showing some more maturity by virtue of her South African fundraising efforts this month.
Let's hope she will continue in the same vein.

I am surprised that she is not yet at least all little fluent. Perhaps all these years of living in Monaco she has only moved among the expat social circles and spoken only english with the princely family.

She will speak more and more french,this interview was in July, it is old, I think that interview will be showed until eternitat when her chidren will be growns up.But seriously, this last time Charlene showed what she will make further, in her travel in South Africa, we saw what she can do for the underprivileged children. she raised founds for special olympics, she raised 60000 euros for south Africa special olympics and the director of this international special olympics tanks Charlene for all she done for this organisation in a bulletin.She is be involved in the chilhood, for the underpriviliged childhood, and she says she will go on, in the principality of Monaco, I think she will be involved in the chilhood, the sport for kids, and she will help Prince Albert for the support of the environement.Dis you see a princess who will swim for an association just before the weedding ? She yes, that is what will be the mark of charlene on Monaco speaking french or a little.
In point De vue, there is a photo of Charlene with a little baby in her arms, this photo is taken during the privat part of her travel. She visited an orphan house in the township

Melina you mean: "wedding" (with one E)? ;)

Yes, I mean wedding but my english is not very good, but I hope you understood me

Melina, how can you possibly know whether or not CW has improved her French??

Do you have soundfiles you could post, so that we can make up our own minds?

Yes, I mean wedding but my english is not very good, but I hope you understood me

Melina, your English is fine. Oh, how wonderful if could I speak another language as well as you speak/write English.

Charlene is at least as worthy to be Princess of Monaco than anyone else. I think she'll do a great job.

Some in this board critize Charlene because she doen-t speak enough french but they don't speak french , when there is a text in french they are enable to speak french, she speak more and more fluently french, she made a lot for monaco, she goes alone at events of charity, she ran and raised much money, she gave the biggest cheque that this international association never received years ago, Special olympics said thank you at charlene. For this no need to speak any languague, you must work a lot.Charlene can walk on the water, you will always critize her. Princess Grace did not speak french at the beginning, and she spoke litle and litle french, during long time she did not understand what a person was saying her in french and that was her waiting woman who translate.Charlene will be a good princess.

Unfortunately, Charlene is in good company regarding the hardly-speaking-french issue, something that is beyond my understanding.

While Maxima understood from the beginning how important it is to speak the language of the people of the country she was about to become a princess of, there are lots of examples, most notably in Denmark, where the consort or princess hasnt fully adapted to the native language after months, years or even decades what in my opinion is really shame- and disrespectful.

If I was to marry a prince of a country that is not not my country of origin, I would work pff my butt and spend, if necessary, 24 hours a day with private tutors etc in order to do my engagement interview fluent in the respective language. Not doing so in my opinion shows arrogance and lazyness, a bad start to the lifelong relationship with the public.

Unfortunately, Charlene is in good company regarding the hardly-speaking-french issue, something that is beyond my understanding.

While Maxima understood from the beginning how important it is to speak the language of the people of the country she was about to become a princess of, there are lots of examples, most notably in Denmark, where the consort or princess hasnt fully adapted to the native language after months, years or even decades what in my opinion is really shame- and disrespectful.

If I was to marry a prince of a country that is not not my country of origin, I would work pff my butt and spend, if necessary, 24 hours a day with private tutors etc in order to do my engagement interview fluent in the respective language. Not doing so in my opinion shows arrogance and lazyness, a bad start to the lifelong relationship with the public.
I don't think Charlene is very arrogant or lazy.Maybe Maxima was more spontaneous in communication and has more abilities in learning foreign languages,I guess she was more in love with her husband.
While Charlene seems to be more shy and distant ,the Monegasque and French mentality are distant for her.She already has achievement in sport and she is not hurrying to conquer the hearts of new people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitty, that Prince Albert did not make me the Princess of Monaco, I am speaking very well French......:queen2:

Yes,why not? The prince must marry all the intelligent girls of France, they speak french, but not the usa girls there are too many and they don't speak french only english what damage!

Just a few months ago I thought she had to make some drastic changes to make her mark, but after seeing her at the recent events by herself I think she will have no problem in her position. She coming out into her own and now I think it's up the people to give her a chance.

Yes, the problem though is that CW doesn't seem nearly so comfortable and outgoing as she did in her home country when she is in Monaco. Besides that I don't think she should be doing any official trips until after they are married. (If this trip even was considered "official"?)

I have minimal understanding of and verbal skills for French, but I sometimes can get the gist of things by recognizing key words, etc. I would love to learn French and other languages.

CW does seem to be really concentrating when people speak French to her and looks to be trying to understand. Yet she seems to be much more comfortable with English, etc. in her homeland and I'm thinking that was another reason she looked relieved to be there.

I wonder how many people who live in Monaco actually have a good command of English? Pretty sure they would be quite a few and if CW takes the care to be warm to the local people they (and others) would probably be more than willing to speak to her in English until she gets a better grasp of French (she said herself in the last interview she gave for a podcast that French is still difficult for her).

The criticism comes from the length of time she has lived in Monaco already, I believe, and it frustrates and disappoints those people that CW is not more fluent already. Perhaps this could fall to Prince Albert to speak to her in French more so she is forced to understand, but not to feel embarrassed practicing in public, or in interviews?

To Tilla: Very funny post! :lol:

Last edited:
I´m sure she will learn it the next months (years?). If you have a good teacher, then it´s easy after a while. My French is modest, but I understand articles in this language. :)

I think she should just be herself. She'll eventually warm up and feel more comfortable with Monaco like she does with her hometown.

I don't see anything wrong with her doing official trips. Albert and Charlene are grown and I think they should do what they want to do.

I still maintain that it's quite hard for English speakers to learn French. I was lucky because I had French / Walloon speakers in my family. As a language tutor I found that English speakers, especially first year, had a lot of trouble with pronunciation, amongst other things.

CW is not doing herself nor Monaco any favours by failing to make a concerted effort to learn both Monégasque and Standard French.

I will say you are right that Charlene did nothing to learn French the day where you all would say these critics in a correct french, go go girls, show what you are able to do in french and than I will say nothing about that otherwise it is only critics.
Charlene speaks french , we see her speaking french but she is not easily confortable like many of us when we must exprims our feelings...Stephan Bern says that she is speaking more and more fluently.It is previous that there will be an interview of the prince and Charlene Wittstock before the wedding. We will see.

:previous: There is a difference: Why must everybody be able to speak french til he is allowed to critizise? Charlene chose to live in a french speaking country, even in a high position also somehow as kind of rolemodel. I guess that doesn't apply to most of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom