What Charlene Can do to make her mark on Monaco?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she would be able to set up and run a charitable foundation. Sport, especially swimming, would be the obvious choice, but if she could revert to her "schoolteacher" job (presumably teaching kids to swim), then that would raise her profile almost as much as becoming more proficient in French.

Whatever patronages she chooses can't step on the toes of anything that Stephanie or Caroline does. So nothing with AIDS or is similiar to AMADE.

There are plenty of other causes to support (i.e. ,obesity, infant mortality, cancer, etc.). And of course supporting Albert.

On the Monaco government website there is a section called "Groupements associatifs de Monaco" - http://www.gouv.mc/Dataweb/AssocMc.nsf

For such a small country, Monaco seems to have an almost endless list of voluntary organisations, clubs, associations etc.

I've been browsing for groups which Charlene might find useful or interesting in her prospective work as "Première Dame":

Club des Residents étrangers de Monaco (CREW)
Monte-Carlo Forum for spoken English
Association Monégasque pour l'enfance (for children)
Association Internationale de Promotion en Médecine et Sciences du Sport
Munegu Bambin Maroti (Monegasques Bébés Malades)

Charlene is in a difficult position as she is essentially usurping the role that Caroline has played since the death of her mother, and at a time when Caroline is so vulnerable. However, IMO Charlene is no less suited to be princess than any other pretty girl. A princess's role is to go out there, look smashing, be patron of as many charities as she can and toot the horn of the principality around the world. Her personal happiness is really no one else's concern. She chose this life and its a package deal. I think after Diana, anyone who doesn't realize that is pretty much brain dead.

He has chosen her to do his duty to the principality. Even if he loves her I can't see it reforming him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several other posters have commented on the perceived lack of passion between the two. Maybe there is some truth in that.

I felt sad after reading the two final sentences. Does the duty not lie with him, rather than her? Does he want to be reformed?

What Charlene Can do to make her mark on Monaco?

... bow out gracefully :innocent:

Seriously though, people really change, but willing to give her a chance it would be my hope that she manages to demonstrate that she has some substance to her besides having been a competitive swimmer.

And also...lay off the plastic surgery.

I couldn't have said it better!!

I really like Grimaldis. And I think that once Charlene becomes princess the principality will go downhill.:sad: The problem with Charlene is not only her lack of education and doing nothing about that, but also her attitude. She is not only arrogant in most of her pics since engagement to Albert, sh is also bored, again IMO. She always looked bored, even 4 years ago when she started appearing with Albert. :ohmy:
CW is only animated when she knows that pics of her are being taken.:whistling:
This is why I believe she would bring nothing to Monaco. She seems self-absorbed, interested in self-promotion-JMO
Her only contribution to Monaco will be appearing for photo ops. IMO. :whistling:

Her mark in Monaco will be an heir (hopefully) and i think that will be all. I mean, she hasn't too much popularity, Kate has stolen the show completely. The wedding will be all about taking and selling pics only. It won't be like W&K's wedding, that has a large press coverage from now, and it will continue after the wedding.
So, basically, her mark in Monaco will consists in having and heir, behave properly in public, adn being the so expected wife Albert promised to monegasques.

This is one mean room. Charlene only has to do what PA expects her to do...no more, no less.

Not necessarily - it seems to me that PA only has to do what Charlene expects him to, and more rather than less.

Much has been made about what Charlene does not bring (i.e. her lack of education, her lack of charity work, etc) to the table as future Princess of Monaco. This is not the place to bash Charlene on what she isn't. That is not the purpose of this thread. Please offer suggestions on what you think Charlene can do to make her mark in a positive way as future Princess of Monaco.

Let's try to keep the Grace comparisons to a minimum. Charlene is NOT Grace.

Also, please respect the opinion of other TRF posters who might disagree with you. You can't expect people to respect your opinion, if you don't respect theirs. We can all agree to disagree.

Thanks!

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

Hello
I would like to make a comparison, but on the opposite side.
People blame Charlene, her lack of education, her lack of previous presence in charity life etc etc etc etc

BUT do not forget when Prince Rainier married Grace Kelly, what was she???

She did not have university degree, she was JUST a very pretty young woman, quite promissing actor , with 3 or 4 nice movies done!! Nothing else. After, of course she became absolutely successful on her role of princess, BUT we did not know it!!

People blame Charlene because she is NOT Grace, but Grace succeded because of her caracter not of her background!
So we should forget all talking about Charlene's handicaps and let her prove wht she will be able to do. She might surprise us.

Last edited:
So where is her engagement ring for it is lacking in some recent pics.

PG made about 14 movies (half of them very good) in 5 years and won an Academy Award for best actress. She was much more famous than Prince Rainier when they met. I guess I am a little more impressed. I am also very impressed that Charlene came in 5th place in the Olympics in one of the most highly competitive summer sports. It amazes me how underwhelmed people on trf are about these great accomplishments. We're talking about the top 1% in the world that have accomplished these things.

She did not have university degree, she was JUST a very pretty young woman, quite promissing actor , with 3 or 4 nice movies done!! Nothing else. After, of course she became absolutely successful on her role of princess, BUT we did not know it!!

Nothing else?? Grace Kelly made more than 10 movies and a lot of TV series. Some of her movies are classics of cinema. She won an Oscar, Golden Globes, and more awards, only with 26 years. Do you think anyone can achieve such a career in so little time? You need more than luck to succeed in Hollywood.

No one is blaming CW for not being GK! No one can be GK! She just has to be herself and not try to imitate like she´s being doing up to now. If she doesn´t have education or class, at least she could have found a decent job at 32! Instead, she has employed her time in nothing productive as far as I know, appart from being PA girlfriend for years, and make awful photographic production for magazines.

Last edited:
Hello

People blame Charlene because she is NOT Grace, but Grace succeded because of her caracter not of her background!
So we should forget all talking about Charlene's handicaps and let her prove wht she will be able to do. She might surprise us.
People blame her because she tries SO HARD to BE LIKE GRACE not because she is not Grace.
Grace achieved a lot more than Charlene at her age, wich is even worse for her, to compare her to her mother-in-law.

People blame her because she tries SO HARD to BE LIKE GRACE not because she is not Grace.
Grace achieved a lot more than Charlene at her age, wich is even worse for her, to compare her to her mother-in-law.

Actually Nathalie I think its a little both.

She is trying in some instances to be like Princess Grace because sometimes it feels as if people expect it. And yes, we have heard the cries of...she isn't Grace.

Even if she isn't trying to be Grace she gets accused of it. Yes, some of the pictures were she is clearly trying to be glam and like Grace are bad ideas. But when people accuse her of trying to be like Grace because she wears her hair a certain, or a particular dress (strapless no less) is it really necessary to say she is being like Grace. Dozens no millions of women wear cardigans, strapless dresses, have their hair a particular way that is like Grace. Last time I checked Grace didn't get a trademark on a particular style.

Luv ya, Zonk. I'm wearing a twinset right now and I don't look a thing like Grace or Charlene.

I think Charlene will be fine once she is in the place she's supposed to be...right now isn't it. She will be fine once she is HSH.

Actually Nathalie I think its a little both.

She is trying in some instances to be like Princess Grace because sometimes it feels as if people expect it. And yes, we have heard the cries of...she isn't Grace.

Even if she isn't trying to be Grace she gets accused of it. Yes, some of the pictures were she is clearly trying to be glam and like Grace are bad ideas. But when people accuse her of trying to be like Grace because she wears her hair a certain, or a particular dress (strapless no less) is it really necessary to say she is being like Grace. Dozens no millions of women wear cardigans, strapless dresses, have their hair a particular way that is like Grace. Last time I checked Grace didn't get a trademark on a particular style.

Yes..and no.
Charlene is very insecure. She has done a lot surgeries to her face, that many people here don't want to see, but it's more than obvious.
And, if people here see it, they say "oh, Letizia did it, xxx did it, nnnnn did it..." but it's clearly not the same.
Charlene has modified (as bad as it sounds) her face to look like Grace, she had a nose job, her teeth are super "perfect" now, she has no wrinkles, she just tries too hard...i don't like that she tries to copy Grace, she just fails big time, and looses her naturality.
And fashion... strapless are simply not the best choice, she has broad shoulders, in MND Gala she didn't look great..the same dress on the Armani model was better. And at the mass and balcony...clearly try to outshine everyone, with a 40's-50's (Grace again) style, big hat, beige colour (everyone was in simple black dresses)..
She just doesn't do things right.

PG made about 14 movies (half of them very good) in 5 years and won an Academy Award for best actress. She was much more famous than Prince Rainier when they met. I guess I am a little more impressed. I am also very impressed that Charlene came in 5th place in the Olympics in one of the most highly competitive summer sports. It amazes me how underwhelmed people on trf are about these great accomplishments. We're talking about the top 1% in the world that have accomplished these things.
Charlene didn't achieve the 5th place by herself and if she didn't have other swimmers helping it wasn't likely she would have placed 5th. She didn't make the team 2004 and didn't try out for the Beijing team in 2008 even though many try to make it sound like she did. She was with Albert and the last time she did anything was in 2007 when she moved to Monaco full time. I read the interview by one of her coaches in December 2007 (posted here) saying she and Albert were going to talk about her continuing to swim after the first of the year. I had personal contact with another coach in June 2010 to clarify if she attended college and her swimming career. He verified her shoulder injury and not qualifying for the team in 2004. They felt she deserved a last chance so she didn't have to retire early but she did and didn't compete after 2007.

Charlene didn't achieve the 5th place by herself and if she didn't have other swimmers helping it wasn't likely she would have placed 5th. She didn't make the team 2004 and didn't try out for the Beijing team in 2008 even though many try to make it sound like she did. She was with Albert and the last time she did anything was in 2007 when she moved to Monaco full time. I read the interview by one of her coaches in December 2007 (posted here) saying she and Albert were going to talk about her continuing to swim after the first of the year. I had personal contact with another coach in June 2010 to clarify if she attended college and her swimming career. He verified her shoulder injury and not qualifying for the team in 2004. They felt she deserved a last chance so she didn't have to retire early but she did and didn't compete after 2007.

What do you mean if she didn't have other swimmers helping its likely she wouldn't have placed 5th? Are you saying that she cheated? I am confused by achieving the 5th place by herself...surely she had the support of her family, coaching and the swimming federation but at the end of the day...its Charlene in the pool.

Whether or not she placed 5th at the Olympics, or didn't make the team in 2004 and 2008 does not discount the fact that she is an Olympian. And its not like she is an ice skater from the Bahamas who is also a dual US citizen (not trying to diss anyone from the Bahamas or anything). She is an Olympian...that in itself is nothing to sneeze at or minimize the achievement. Whether or not many people think that making the Olympic team is or is not a big deal....I bet the swimmer in South Africa who didn't make the team....thinks its a very BIG deal.

She is an Olympian just like Inaki, Albert, Sofia, Anne, Michael Phelps, etc.

hum... finishing 5th in any olympic event with or without help from teammates is in my book remarkable. And unlike her mother in law - whom I adored - she had her success due only to her hard work and commitment, nothing to do with her good look.

:previous: I agree.

Making the Olympic team in a highly competitive sport such as swimming is nothing to sneeze at. Its the Olympics...not the local team at the Y. Which for the record, making the team at the Y is an achievement for many as well. Its their Olympics.

I question a lot of things about Charlene, but personally I don't find it necessary to down grade her achievements or constantly compare her to Grace. They are both two totally different women with different styles, attitudes, opinions, and talents.

Charlene needs to find her own ground to develop her own "legacy" to Monaco. Grace didn't come out of the womb totally composed and all together. She had to develop into her own woman. The woman who married Rainier is not the same woman who left Philadelphia to make it into her own. Charlene might be behind the curve because she spent a lot of her formative years in the pool and not dealing with real life.

What do you mean if she didn't have other swimmers helping its likely she wouldn't have placed 5th? Are you saying that she cheated? I am confused by achieving the 5th place by herself...surely she had the support of her family, coaching and the swimming federation but at the end of the day...its Charlene in the pool.

Whether or not she placed 5th at the Olympics, or didn't make the team in 2004 and 2008 does not discount the fact that she is an Olympian. And its not like she is an ice skater from the Bahamas who is also a dual US citizen (not trying to diss anyone from the Bahamas or anything). She is an Olympian...that in itself is nothing to sneeze at or minimize the achievement. Whether or not many people think that making the Olympic team is or is not a big deal....I bet the swimmer in South Africa who didn't make the team....thinks its a very BIG deal.

She is an Olympian just like Inaki, Albert, Sofia, Anne, Michael Phelps, etc.
She was competing with a relay not on her own is what I was talking about. I didn't say she wasn't an Olympian.

Last edited:
I don't get this she had help from her teammates. If one doesn't perform well they all do bad and there were many wanting one of those spots. They pick the 4 fastest people. No one carried her.

I agree....sometimes its harder to compete on a relay (i.e. the dreaded group school or work project) than individually. You are totally dependent on everyone pulling their weight. In the individuals...you sink or swim (pardon the pun) on your own merits.

I sometimes criticise CW, e.g. for not learning French, but this time I have to defend her. I cannot begin to image what it must be like competing in the Olympics, or any other high-level sports event.

So, despite all her (perceived ?) shortcomings, she is and always will be an Olympian. I think that's what PA finds attractive in her (apart from other things).

Her detractors cannot take that away from her.

Nowadays I think of CW and of her (soon-to-be) niece Pauline together - one still very young, but trying hard, and the other with her achievements still intact.

I agree....sometimes its harder to compete on a relay (i.e. the dreaded group school or work project) than individually. You are totally dependent on everyone pulling their weight. In the individuals...you sink or swim (pardon the pun) on your own merits.

True statement. I don't recall her performance in the relay it might be interesting if someone with the no how could actually look it up. I do have some memory recall of her swimming and the announcer saying she was unable to mover her team up in the race. This is not a negative statement. It implies they were behind the leaders when she got into the water. I only remember this because the announcer made a big deal out of her personality and posturing during the Olympics, otherwise I wouldn't have even known who she was. Finishing 5th is not a bad placement at all in the Olympics, it's just that we all get caught up in the medals.

Yesterday evening,Charlene Wittstock attented a sale in the enchere of chritmas trees in favor of an associationfor children.It is in the newpaper Nice Matin, it is also on the site of this newspaper.Since her official appearance in the balcony, she is more and more involved in the associative life of Monaco.Last week, she was with Stephanie for the fightaids.last week, I saw on monaco info charlene speaking to small girl and other people, she spoke in french and without accent. She can be criticed but she begins to make her job of a princess she will be only in july

Wikipedia says South Africa finished 5th in the 4x100 medley in the 2000 Olympics. Also said she was the 50 meter backstroke champion several times in South Africa.

This thread is about what CW could do to live up to the many expectations people are investing in her.

I feel that, the longer she is involved in the life of the Principality, the faster the world will think of her not as a "former swimmer" ("ancienne nageuse"), but a Princess.

Personally, I can't find any resemblance between images of Grace and of CW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom