Reflections on the Princely Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the things I loved about the wedding was how all the foreign Royals and dignitaries were handled...each one as if they were the most important guest.

Doormen outside the Hotel de Paris bowed low before each one as they were leaving for the Mass, while another doffed his cap, bowed and opened the car door for them...then when they reached the Place du Palais carabinieri saluted them.

This happened to each dignitary and Royal guest, no exception...and I was thinking to myself...now this is the way you treat your Royal guests when they honor you by coming to your wedding. Albert seemed to make a point of being the most gracious of hosts.:whistling:

One thing was curious...as a Catholic Head of State, Albert was entitled to receive a special blessing from Pope Benedict XVI at the Nuptial Mass, but I don't remember hearing it read.

Almost every Catholic Royal wedding features this, and I wonder what happened....???:sad:

What is my opinion? I am making an observation shared by others - that the British wedding was not a state occasion - and it showed. It did not feel grand, it did not feel royal. However, I stand by what I have said about it - loved the trees in the Abbey, loved her dress, loved her beauty, it all felt bright and cheery and amiable - but it was not a grand wedding - not like Albert's and Charlene's wedding which was a state occasion of the marriage of a sovereign. That is not 'envious bias' - that is an observation. Why the negative characterization?

BTW, just for the record, I am not - and never have been - 'against' the British Royal family. I am a fan of the Queen and her hubbie, have always respected Princess Anne, love the Wessex's, and have a great admiration for Prince Charles and Camilla. Just for the record.

I agree with you completely. There was far more of a princely atmosphere at the Monaco wedding than at William and Kate's. William and Kate had a GORGEOUS wedding, but it did not feel anything like those of William's parents or even Andrew and Fergie. I understand it was not a state occasion, but neither was Andrew's and that wedding still had a very royal feeling to it. The word "grand" that you used is perfect to describe what was "missing" to some people, myself included. It almost seemed incidental to the whole affair that the marriage was that of a future King.

I was shocked (pleasantly) at how beautiful and regal the Monaco wedding (the religious service) turned out to be. It was just stunning. Charlene's gown was monumentally beautiful and original while still having a traditional air about it. I put it in the top two of all the royal brides' gowns I've ever seen in my lifetime. The Monegasques really pulled off a magical day.

I think this marriage will last; Charlene seemed to take the ceremony so seriously and her tears at St. Devote showed how much emotion was flowing underneath her calm, placid demeanour. Still waters run deep and Albert and Charlene had enough little touching moments to reveal their love, IMO.

I never realised just exactly how amazingly beautiful Charlene is until this past weekend. I think Albert realises what a gem he found, pardon the pun!

Beautiful wedding; beautiful bride; beautiful dress; beautiful day! What more can one ask for? We all hope they'll live happily ever after, but since this is not a fairy tale, I wish them all the love and luck in the world.

Now that's it all over I would like to add my thoughts as well: :)

Ah, where to start, that is the question. :)

I think I will start with the love I saw shining throughout in Princess Charlene's eyes, most notably captured in this clip ~ Le Mariage de Monaco (officiel) - Monaco Wedding (official) | Facebook ~ she just stares at him the way Katia Gordeeva used to stare at her late husband Sergei Grinkov all the time, not just while on the ice. In fact, I think this is what I will remember the most, the way Charlene stares at Albert, be it during the fireworks, at the Gala Opera dinner, when they took their first dance as husband & wife, or most especially after she laid down her bouquet at the tiny chapel church and kissed Albert outside. :heart:

Other special moments, there were so many, it's hard to choose, I will just type them as they come:

Albert pointing out & greeting one of the Special Olympics participants at the St. Devota Church, and this putting a huge smile on Charlene's face, as she did the same. :heart1:

***Note: it seemed to relax her, put her at ease, reminiscent of the time Princess Diana had just gotten married, and while on one of her many visits, I recall everybody was speculating whether or not she was pregnant, and the only one to ask her directly was this little developmentally disabled girl, who touched her stomach and said "baby". And Diana laughed out loud, she was delighted, but of course remained mum on the issue.*** :)

During the religious service, at one point the Archbishop remarked early on about marriage and fertility, and I'll never forget Charlene & Albert slightly turning to each other at that moment and shyly smiling (this makes me think they'll have a baby as soon as possible). :)

Seeing the whole family together, with Princess Caroline & Princess Stephanie sitting in the first row (beside best man Chris Levine), then Charlotte, Andrea, Camille, and Alexandra in the next, finally Prince Christian, Prince Ernst-August Jr., Pierre, and Pauline rounding out the family. :cool: And looooved how they were all colored coordinated to fit the occasion & especially each other. :)

President Sarkozy entering like Napoleon, and immediately greeting Princess Caroline & Princess Stephanie, which bemused me because both women appeared a bit flustered/honored, as did everyone else around them, judging by the way all their eyes followed him. :D

***Note: at first I didn't know why Andrea was the only one standing throughout when Sarkozy entered, then I recalled Andrea is working at the Embassy of Qatar in Paris, France, and also he's very politically-minded, having majored in political science, which makes me think he is being groomed for a major political position in the future, mayhap even the President of France one day. I honestly wouldn't be surprised.***

Charlotte, Pauline, Camille, Alexandra, and two other little girls (think they are the children of the matron of honor, Donatella Knecht de Massy, as I saw her with them) reading from the Bible, very touching, and beautiful. Nice touch, as well as having Camille & Alexandra presenting the wedding rings. :flowers:

Princess Alexandra de Hannover's gorgeous smile throughout, including the civil ceremony. :)

Hmmm, what else, there were so many, but alas my well has run dry. ;) Thus I will add to the list as it comes to me in the future. :)

Until then:

"LONG LIVE MONACO! LONG LIVE THE GRIMALDI FAMILY!" :cheers:

two other little girls (think they are the children of the matron of honor, Donatella Knecht de Massy, as I saw her with them)

There were Christine and Alexia Knecht.

It appears that some people are making comparisons between the Monegasque royal wedding and the British one. Naturally many comparisons can be made, right down to the last detail and I myself compare certain elements of Albert and Charlene's wedding more favourably to William and Catherine's. Yet I do not think it necessarily fair to suggest that one was better than the other - the reality is tha they were totally different events and not least of all because one was the wedding of the sovereign and the other the wedding of the second in line to the throne. Comparisons should be made between ALL the recent royal weddings if indeed comparisons are needed.
One thing I will say is that with Albert and Charlene's wedding, there was so much more to see from the ceremony itself to the reception and firework display. Unfortunately, we were all rather cut off from William and Kate's wedding as soon as they arrived at Buckingham Palace.

I can't and don't care to speak on anyone elses behalf but for me, it's not about comparing them per say, but if you liked the Monegasque wedding more than say the Cambridge wedding, then that's just the way it is. And vice versa.

Comparisons should be made between ALL the recent royal weddings if indeed comparisons are needed.

I've never seen Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding, so can't comment.

Willem-Alexander and Maxima's wedding was if I recall rightly, rather visibly emotional for those present. I can't remember all that much of it as it's been some time since they wed.

Frederik and Mary's wedding was a wonderful display of Danish pride. A really lovely wedding to watch with a reasonable amount of coverage.

Victoria and Daniel's wedding was a spectacular event with coverage that lasted a good 7 or so hours. The Swedish, imo, understand the importance of being transparent where it counts most.

Filipe and Letizia's wedding was a grand ceremony in an awe inspiring setting, though that too became a little tiresome I found.

Louis and Tessy' wedding I didn't see and I don't even know if it was televised in Luxembourg, but I doubt I'd have cared to watch it even if it had been.

William and Catherine's wedding was pleasant to watch, but rather boring. I was more interested in who was wearing what and the floral décor of the Abbey.

Albert and Charlene's wedding had a real atmosphere about it which transcended through my live feed. I was gripped by the occasion.

All-or most-Royal weddings are simply beautiful and memorable.

William and Kate had hundreds of years of pageantry and tradition(RAF flyover, Westminster Abby, ceremonial route)

Albert and Charlene had glamour and elegance to spare

Victoria and Daniel were probably best at incorporating romance and grandeur on a huge scale.

I enjoyed each wedding, for different reasons.

Last edited:
what i really liked about the wedding was the royals that i like: the danish, dutch, norwegians and sweedish.

andrea bocelli's performance was spectacular.

the wedding was beautiful, but albert and charlene made me feel the same thing felipe and letizia made me feel on their day: a total emptiness. no emotions(and when charlene showed some emotion, albert looked at her very angry, "don't cry!"). IMO, she loves him, but for him, she's just the "baby machine" that will help him to get andrea out of the throne's path.

sorry, that' s what i see and think. i only feel sad for her, because she really loves him.

Let's keep Charles and Diana's marriage out of this thread.

Thanks!

Zonk

Monaco Forums Moderator

I'm getting a little tired of the ongoing comparisons between the two couples.
Once Zara and Mike have done their bit, will there be three-way comparisons ?

And my reflections .....the experience is already receding, I'm afraid.

But - to break the resolution of a lifetime - I went into a shop and bought Hello Magazine - the one with all the weddings in it.

I wonder whether there will be lots of coverage of Zara's "do", and whether the magazine will go over the top.

But that's for the Zara & Mike Wedding thread....

what i really liked about the wedding was the royals that i like: the danish, dutch, norwegians and sweedish.

the wedding was beautiful, but albert and charlene made me feel the same thing felipe and letizia made me feel on their day: a total emptiness. no emotions(and when charlene showed some emotion, albert looked at her very angry, "don't cry!"). IMO, she loves him, but for him, she's just the "baby machine" that will help him to get andrea out of the throne's path.

sorry, that' s what i see and think. i only feel sad for her, because she really loves him.

We didn't see the same video of Charlene crying...I saw Albert stare at her for a moment then whisper and squeeze her hand quickly. Sure he looked a little embarrassed and awkward, but certainly not angry in the least.

Then they embraced again on the church steps...why would they have done that if he was angry?

I don't know how you could see that video and miss those moments.

We didn't see the same video of Charlene crying...I saw Albert stare at her for a moment then whisper and squeeze her hand quickly. Sure he looked a little embarrassed and awkward, but certainly not angry in the least.

Then they embraced again on the church steps...why would they have done that if he was angry?

I don't know how you could see that video and miss those moments.

I agree with you! I was also thinking there must be two different videos making the rounds. I saw no coldness whatsoever between Albert and Charlene, and plenty of tender moments. I hope time will prove us right and that there will soon be some little Grimaldis for us to watch grow up!

It is a kind of harsh, IMO, to say "to get Andrea out"; I am sure PA adores Caro´s kids and I do not think he sees as a duty to avoid Andrea of being the Heir. Andrea may not be the ideal candidate for this position, maybe Pierre accommodates it better, but in case Albert had no children, I do no think he would feel uncomfortable with his nephew in his place one day...

This is the weirdest wedding i have ever seen. Even that Charlene was a beautiful bride, where was the emotions between here and Albert? I don`t get it at all, the wedding day should be the happiest day of your life...but this wedding was just like Felipe and Letiza big day, so cold and no emotions. To me it seems like this is just a business agreement.

some people have a hard time displaying emotions, but I have to admit it was ice cold there:lol:. One other thing I can say, when I heard the groom's speech is that Albert is a bumbler if there ever was one...Gosh and to think I complained at how unarticulate Fred is...

Last edited:
some people have a hard time displaying emotions, but I have to admit it was ice cold there:lol:. One other thing I can say, when I heard the groom's speech is that Albert is a bumbler if there ever was one...Gosh and to think I complained at how unarticulate Fred is...

And Albert`s speech was just terrible....I thought the point was to hold a speech to his bride.... Frederik`s speech was great i think:)

It sounded rather like he was adressing the UN Assembly instead of a loving speach to his new wife. CP Frederik could teach him a thing or two in regards to wedding speaches. :)

I think the only part where it got emotional was when Charlene cried. But the whole ceremony was sort of odd (it's not the word i want to use but i lack of a better one). Even Albert seem very cold. But, i think Albert and Caroline (who seemed quite cold too) were raised like that, to not show they emotions in public. So i don't know.

I don't think they were raised to show no emotions. Just look at their parents respective funerals. Caroline was, naturally, devestated. To me it looked more like the bride and groom had had a huge fight before the ceremony. He seemed so annoyed with her.

But the sadest thing was, when Charlene started to cry ( when a mother and a daughter sang to them ), and Albert was looking at here and almost saying " what are you crying for"!

This is the weirdest wedding i have ever seen. Even that Charlene was a beautiful bride, where was the emotions between here and Albert? I don`t get it at all, the wedding day should be the happiest day of your life...but this wedding was just like Felipe and Letiza big day, so cold and no emotions. To me it seems like this is just a business agreement.

Felipe and Letizia's wedding might have come off as cold and emotionless, but no one can doubt that they are deeply in love and devoted to their responsibilities.

Grace and Rainier also had a so called "cold" wedding.

I guess my point is that it is impossible to gauge how successful someone's marriage is going to be based on how emotional they were at their wedding.

My hunch is that the whole performance was just that: a performance - for Monaco, for the royals, and for the world.

A&C and F&L might be deeply in love, but why is that so difficult to show in a wedding? That is something i probably will never understand....

There is an irony here.... Charlene could try to communicate in French - but won't.

Albert would love to be able to speak unhesitatingly and confidently - but can't.

She won't??? Why?? I didn't occur to her that she is living in a french speaking country???
That does not somehow seem to be the best way to win over the hearts of her new countrymen.

She won't??? Why?? I didn't occur to her that she is living in a french speaking country???
That does not somehow seem to be the best way to win over the hearts of her new countrymen.

Once an adult, the acquisition of a foreign language is not a simple matter - particularly if by adulthood the person knows only one language. If there is bi-lingualism by adulthood, then the person likely can manage another language with some ease, depending on the language. Some people have a facility with languages. Some do not but can overcome it with study and application. Some just wither in the face of it. Charlene may be the latter.

Maybe in time she will learn French. It took Grace a while and she was able to communicate with the people. I'm sure Charlene will learn it in time.

Let's get back to the topic of this thread - thanks!

A&C and F&L might be deeply in love, but why is that so difficult to show in a wedding? That is something i probably will never understand....

I have watched F&L's wedding...there were lots of small, tender moments where they whispered together and smiled at the altar, etc.

If you were watching they were there, the same for Albert and Charlene...there were several minutes at the altar where they sat holding hands...why do posters talking about "coldness" not mention those moments?

I don't think you are going to see overt gestures of PDA at a Royal Catholic wedding...it just isn't done and frankly I don't want to see it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom