The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I think it is a difficult line to walk between royalty & celebrity but it is applicable to all young Royals - particularly those who are not born Royal - and not just Charlene. Charlene does have the added problem that Moanco thrives on its celebrity events which the Royals patronise, but I don't think this is any different to the situation Grace found herself in, and on balance I think she appears to manage this well.

I agree with this post entirely. Just like we have to look at the totality of Charlene's events, it's important to recognize the difference between Monaco and other royal countries.

Still, it would be good for Charlene to get into meatier/more complex issues; not saying that her current causes aren't good, but it never hurts to dip your toe into deep, important waters.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Courtier

Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 2: January 2014 -

It seems to me that Princess Charlene continues to improve in all areas as First Lady of Monaco. Her
wardrobe, poise, confidence and appearances for charity events present a princess more at ease with
her role.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Nobility

I think Charlene's wardrobe is excellent, and her style is superior to that of Grace. As far as I can see, Charlene is the only lady in a similar position with a style of her own.

I also agree that Grace and Charlene are in a similar kind of position, but I find it difficult to compare their positions as it's almost 60 years since Grace & Rainier wedding, and things have changed enormously since, family structures included. (This is a reference to Albert's two children, and the concept of the existence of those children would have been unthinkable in the late 50's. - Yes, I do know it's off topic, so won't go into that further).

I think of Charlene as a person with a great wardrobe and a talent for a style that suits her. I think she's lonely and vulnerable, and may not have a confidante. I also think she has had too many face jobs. I know she's good at swimming and attending fashion shows.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Charlene going the way of Diana? I think not. This thread has turned into rubbish.
Re-read the post once again, please. Nowhere is suggested that Charlène is following Diana. It was about how someone can frame him/herself and appears in the media. When Diana surrounded herself with folks as George Michael, Elton John, Bryan Adams and Gianni Versace she was clearly leaving the royal world and entered the world of celebrity. The danger of becoming dragged out of the royal world and into the ranks of celebrity culture was apparent. Let us not fool ourselves. The strange thing was that Diana complained about being hunted by the media. At the other hand she was almost "inviting" paperazzi to disturb her life by having the biggest megastars as "her friends".

I see Charlène posing as a star. The latest report in Hola! was completely branding her as a megastar, not as Her Serene Highness The Princess of Monaco. At least, it did not have that effect on me. Standing next to celebbies, posing with "her good side", her lips in a sort of modelling pose. Her "colleague" Clotilde Courau has exactly the same sort of Red Carpet-itis: turning, crawling and set the lips in "photo-opportunity mode". You never see Catherine, Mathilde or Victoria doing that. Charlène is a famous person, a former swimmer engaged with the son of Princess Grace, residing in glamorous Monaco. Grace Kelly was able to uplift herself from an actress into a true Princesse de Monaco. Her daughter Princess Caroline has 'it'. Whatever she might have done wrong, Caroline always and ever has an air, a présence. (Stéphanie does not have 'it', Albert also not, in my very own personal and humble opinion).

My only advice to Charlène, and I do love her, I think she is a sweet lady, probably doing the best she can but has no idea what, is always and ever keep in mind that she is Madame la Princesse de Monaco and "is posing with Reese Witherspoon in a Beverly Hills Hotel with awfully cheaplooking carpets a good idea?". An award ceremony in the stylish grandeur of Hôtel de Paris, Monte Carlo? Yes! An award ceremony in some unclear Beverly Hills Hotel where you are only invited because you are a Big Name? No! For the rest I wish Charlène all the best and I am sure she has everything to become a great Princess of Monaco. Just find good counsel and advice...

Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I will say again that some persons don't like Charlene and they will always try to critic what she is doing.
For me, the most important thing is near the fact that Charlene received an award for her actions for children, the most impotant thing is that this event raised a lot of money because there was a lot of persons, the high society who wanted to meet Princess Charlene, and this money will be for the children institut for children and children will be happy. Not to see that shows that some persons have no heart and prefer to argue about Princess Charlene they don't like
In Monaco, Prince Rainier and Princess Grace lauched two festivals, one is the comedy festival and one is the Tv festival , they were the patrons of these two festivals and there are a lot of photos of them with actors and actresses, Albert is now the patron of these two festivals and he is always present at the opening of these two festivals, each time, he poses with the actors and actresses, next june , there will be the Tv festival, Albert is always present to opening of the Tv festival and at the giving awards and he is posing on the red carpet with a lot of actresses, Charlene is not present but she is present with Albert when they receive them in the honor yard of the palace and we saw a lot of photos of the principaly couple posing with the actors and actresses. We have even a photo taken in 2010 prince Albert, Princess Caroline and Charlene Wittstock receiving these persons in the palace now, it is only Albert and Charlene who receive. I don't think they will change only for you, because you don't like Charlene.

I will remember to these persons who critic Charlene that they forget that Princess Grace was a former actress and that Charlotte Casiraghi had an illigitimat child with an actor Gad El Maleh.

I will repeat again and again that these persons hate Charlene and try to hide that Charlene was honored for her actions for children.
Next week , Prince Albert and princess Charlene will receive the president of the Montenegro and his wife and Princess Charlene will talk with the president's wife about their actions in a room of the palace and they will join their husbands for an official diner. An other side of the work of the princess.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Gentry

Melina, if you prefer to erect a statue and worship daily at the cathedral of Saint Charlene, more power to you. However, those who prefer to worship elsewhere are just as entitled to their opinions as you are to your fanatical worship. No one is right or wrong but intolerance of either is wrong. Everyone has their own values and opinions. Criticism is not hate, just as your criticism of Grace, Caroline and her children is acceptable to you. Charlene is acting like a socialite and not a royal. If Mary were doing this or Maxima or any wife of a head of state, people would feel the same way.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't erect a statue but I give news about Charlene and Albert and I will go on to give my opinions and news about charlene and Albert, I never critic any princesses or queens of any monarchies, you could search, you will never find a begining of cristiscisme I don't like the criticisme, I never critic Princess grace and Princess Caroline and her children , I give true news and I never lie on the queens and princesses. Where do I critic Princess Grace, Caroline and her children, I only say that it is different in monaco, we see all the princesses posing with actresses, from Grace to Stéphanie who was a famious singer but who do a marvellious job with fightaids.
You are alike many persons on this thread who hate Charlene and you are desappointed like some persons to see that she was honored with an award, yes We never saw Princess Mary and queen Maxima in swimsuit wet hair learning to teach to children, they do their job differant way and it is well.

And I have no lesson to receive from you Booing on the intolerence,
Old 05-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Nobility

I think Charlene may not be comfortable with herself, especially because a massive change in lifestyle in Monaco.

Then again, there are lots of people around who are not comfortable with themselves, and who have problems.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Courtier

I don't think any of the posters on this thread hate Charlene - they just don't think absolutely everything she does is irreproachable. I understand part of her jobs is spending time with celebrities who help raise the profile of organisations. I'm glad she received this award for her work with children and I admire her hands on approach to her foundation work. I don't always like what she wears, I think she needs to address the issue of that look of boredom, edging towards petulance that she occasionally wears. I also think she should be speaking much better French than she currently does.
But just to be clear - I don't "hate" her - I don't know her.

Also, Melina, you do criticise - you criticise your fellow posters regularly without even knowing them or paying attention to the nuances of what they say.

Sent from my HTC One using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booing View Post
Melina, if you prefer to erect a statue and worship daily at the cathedral of Saint Charlene, more power to you. However, those who prefer to worship elsewhere are just as entitled to their opinions as you are to your fanatical worship. No one is right or wrong but intolerance of either is wrong. Everyone has their own values and opinions. Criticism is not hate, just as your criticism of Grace, Caroline and her children is acceptable to you. Charlene is acting like a socialite and not a royal. If Mary were doing this or Maxima or any wife of a head of state, people would feel the same way.
Well said!

Anyone is entitled to their opionions! Sometimes I get the fear of being attack from Melina! it is not supposed to be.. Everyone can write their point.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Courtier

Some posters would like to see P Charlene as a more traditional Princess and therefore I can understand their disappointment at times.

But I want to agree with Elly C and other posters that Monaco and its Royals have always been somewhat different and should not be compared with other Royal families too much. The big names in showbiz, sport and business bring the wealth and with it the glamour to Monaco. The marriage of P Rainier and Grace Kelly joined the worlds of Royalty and celebrity and this is the environment that P Albert and his sisters have been raised in.

P Albert also finds himself in a unique position in that he is both the "President" and Prince of his country, which makes P Charlene the "First Lady" and Princess. They have a dual role to fulfill.

So in a sense they actually have three worlds they have to operate, survive and succeed in...

Unlike some, not all, of the current Queens and CP's in Europe, P Charlene was not raised in a country with a Monarchy and thus not much exposed to the example of what a Royal represents or does.

In a country the size of Monaco there is also just a limited number of "statelike" organisations/activities such as foreign relations, eduacation, culture that a Princess can become involved in. But we do see her involved in these activities.

So taking the above into consideration I think it is understandable that P Charlene may at times (or appear to) find it difficult to strike a balance between the different worlds. I also think she is slowly beginning to find her niche in charity work, specifically aimed at children. I also think it's wise to stick to what she loves and knows best to begin with. And with growing confidence and support she will be getting into more serious stuff such as MONAA which will require her to be knowledgeable on the subject of Autism in order for her to make a real contribution. I would imagine that P Albert is guiding her in this, bringing the different worlds together, a nice example being her involvement in MONAA and the Princess Grace Foundation and supporting her husband next week when he receives foreign visitors.

I also agree that she is a hard working Princess and deserves to be recognised as melina p suggested. An award, even when given by "celebbies", raises the awareness and profile of her Foundation and provides opportunity for more good work.

And then I especially appreciate the fact that she is so hands on and gets wet and into the water with the children. Deeds are so much better than words only...
Old 05-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
My only advice to Charlène, and I do love her, I think she is a sweet lady, probably doing the best she can but has no idea what, is always and ever keep in mind that she is Madame la Princesse de Monaco and "is posing with Reese Witherspoon in a Beverly Hills Hotel with awfully cheaplooking carpets a good idea?". An award ceremony in the stylish grandeur of Hôtel de Paris, Monte Carlo? Yes! An award ceremony in some unclear Beverly Hills Hotel where you are only invited because you are a Big Name? No! For the rest I wish Charlène all the best and I am sure she has everything to become a great Princess of Monaco. Just find good counsel and advice...
I don't think I'm going to agree to hold Princess Charlene accountable for the carpets in a Beverly Hills Hotel. She's not responsible for the decor of where she is invited to. And she is not responsible for arranging photos with actresses. Charlene is the guest and others have made the arrangements. Anyhow, Hollywood is known for giving copious amounts of awards for basically nothing.

If Charlene's presence can raise money and awareness for Charlene's charity then Charlene has been successful. Raising money for charities doesn't happen by itself. Money does not grow on trees, not even in Monaco. Maybe there is a big donor in Hollywood or Beverly Hills that Charlene wants patronage from. Perhaps actors and Beverly Hills types can't all fly to Paris or Monaco so Charlene went to where they were. Fund raising is never easy.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Here's a video of the Champion for Children Award ceremony last week:

** S.A.S. la Princesse Charlène honorée à Los Angeles **

Old 05-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Nobility

Right. Nice to see it combined with a fashion show (end of youtube).
Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Commoner

Charlene was at the Galerie Adriano Ribolzi in Monte-Carlo, Monaco, to view the exhibition, "Mythes et Rites" on May 7.

The exhibition displays the best of African art, according to the Palais Princier.

Article; The Royal Correspondent

Palais Princier official facebook
Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

On may 8th 2014, Princess charlene visited the IFSI at Princess Grace Hospital

Visite de S.A.S. la Princesse Charlène à l'I.F.S.I. / News & Photos / Palais Princier de Monaco / Channels - MC Channel - Video channels of Monaco

there is the announce of the next fashion show of Vuitton on the place of the palace on may 17 th Under the high patronage and with her presence , the palace published the photo of the presparation

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

If persons want to Watch in live this fashion show, There is the link at the end of the article

» LOUIS VUITTON DEBUTS CRUISE COLLECTION IN MONACO
Old 06-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Photo of Princess Charlene on twitter to day receiving swimmer for Mare Nostrum races

https://twitter.com/dmswimmac/status...164864/photo/1
Old 06-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

thank you! She looks a bit frail but happy! She is not showing yet so that means no twins IMO
Old 06-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Nobility

I don't think we can really judge from this photo!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Glad to see she looks relaxed and happy and not sickly like on some recent photos

Tags
princess charlene