Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 2: January 2014 -December 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

such a nice account of charlene, her attendance and the significance it has for ex-rhodesians by the person posting the pictures! charlene is herself rhodesian, born in bulawayo. it is nice to hear she took the time to honor her country during this visit to the UK.

A RHODESIAN PRINCESS REMEMBERS.
A small group of of us were waiting at the Rhodesian Plot in the Garden of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey this morning when this beautiful dignified angel came amongst us. Surrounded by security and accompanied by a Catholic Chaplain she prayed and then laid a wreath at the South African plot next door. This was that young girl from Bulawayo who later swam for South Africa at the Olympics and is now Princess Charlene of Monaco.
Of course Rhodesians are not allowed to march on Remembrance Day even though they contributed the most fighting men per capita in both World Wars. They are however allowed a plot and do hold their own quiet Service when the main parade moves off.

such a shame they can't march. is that because they are not a country anymore? does Zimbabwe march?

:previous: Thanks. It's nice to understand the rest of the story. :angel:

I am so proud of P Charlene...never forgetting her roots. And remembering those who have paid the ultimate price.

She is becoming more and more involved in rugby, the game South Africans are so passionate about. The national team is currently struggling, though. She is already patron of Monaco rugby and also includes rugby in the events of her Foundation.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

I love this woman!

I had my doubts about Charlene early on but she has proven me wrong and I couldn't be happier. She is the 2nd among the two favorite princesses that I find fascinating(Stephanie of Luxembourg is the other)

Albert and Monaco have a winner.:p

Last edited:
^^^ Agreed. She has certainly grown into her role, is flawless in appearance and a wonderful asset to Monaco. P Albert should be proud. Just a pity the Palace PR team don't always post her activities. I think she does a lot of work that is never commented on.

Lovely to see her in the UK. I hope she continues to make frequent visits here.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Princess Charlene is a wonderful First Lady in Monaco. Of course, the Palace doesn't show her whole work .

Marie H, I fully agree. I think that other European princesses should follow her example.

Here is the video of the World rugby awards 2016, P Charlene announced that Monaco will receive the WRA in 2017 and 2018, she is very smiling
It is around 2h 35mn35s in the video
She is wearing earings and collar, they are stunning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjXMW6Hnm50

the palace published the photos of the world rugby awards

https://www.facebook.com/286449344700945/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1393191887360013

The palace published the photos of the meeting of P Charlene with Sir Tim Laurence

https://www.facebook.com/286449344700945/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1393201987359003

the palace published the photos of P Charlene attending a service of remembrance at Wetminster

https://www.facebook.com/286449344700945/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1393197680692767

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful and interesting photos published by the palace, during three events.

The pictures are both beautiful and powerful. Thanks for posting, melina. Also for the video in which she made the announcement of the WRA coming to Monaco.

A busy weekend in London, even meeting with the husband of the Princess Royal. So who stayed with the twins, since P Albert was in Marocco, attending COP22?

Marie H, I fully agree. I think that other European princesses should follow her example.

I think other European princesses are just fine - I don't see how what she does is any better than any other princess.

As to not seeing all her work - seems rather pointless. It's not that interesting to see her in her office and it seems counter intuitive for the Palace not to show any other public engagement.

Charlene was very busy this last week end, she was the honor guest of the world rugby awards , the president of the monaco rugby association said that thought the action of HSH the princess Charlene , Monaco will receive this event during two years, he also said that rugby is becoming more and more popular in Monaco.
She met members of the royal family, she watched the rugby match in the princely lodge and she met Sir Tim laurence , husband of the P Ann, who is member of a very big assoiation which learns the first aquatic aids . The Princess Charlene foundation has worked with this association since two years. It shows that her foundation is becoming a suceed.
Last october, Charlene met also the former mayor of New York for her foundation
In december, she will attend an internatonal summit ' the laureates and leaders for children summit ' as speaker, she will be among a lot of nobel prices women and men, Dalai Lama and heads of states, this summit will be for the rights of the children .
Since juni, she is very involved for the children and aged persons in Monaco

Melina, Thank-you for your detailed description re Charlene's engagements. Some other European Princesses do less than half her work. She makes Monaco proud and she has fitted in perfectly in her new role.

Melina, Thank-you for your detailed description re Charlene's engagements. Some other European Princesses do less than half her work. She makes Monaco proud and she has fitted in perfectly in her new role.

Which European princesses do less than half her work? I'm genuinely interested who you're talking about...
Are they able to summon up a smile when they turn up for these extremely rare engagements?

Last edited:
What are you thinking Florestane and it is your right to have your own opinion but Charlene did a good work last week end as she did it when she was 2 weeks ago in USA with Albert.

What are you thinking Florestane and it is your right to have your own opinion but Charlene did a good work last week end as she did it when she was 2 weeks ago in USA with Albert.

Hi Melina - I didn't say she didn't do good work, it's good to see her out and about. I did question the earlier assertion that the Palace doesn't share all her work. What would be the point of not showing her engagements?

Also, this is the second time Togram has made a generalised statement about "other European princesses" learning from her - I'm curious to know who that refers to.

And while there may be princesses who aren't as busy in terms of engagements as Charlene has been over the summer (after several months of private time) they aren't as high ranking as Charlene. I also can't think of any princess who struggles to smile quite as much as Charlene. Please don't tell me it's just because the media choose to only publish those pictures - she smiled far more in the past. In that specific case, she could learn a lot from "other European princesses".

As much as I like Princess Charlene and admire how far she has come, I do not 100% agree with this statement.

Charlene is fortunate enough to be princess of a tiny, tiny wealthy Principality where there is no press intrusion into her life and minimal if any social problems. The "work" she does...attend symposiums and meetings as patroness and give the odd speech(all while dressed in couture)..cannot be compared with what her peers do in places like Belgium and the UK where the spotlight and criticism on them is relentless.

There is no tabloid intrusion/speculation in her life and the citizenry seem to leave her alone as well. For example no one would dare publicly criticize her for the fact that she has not deemed it necessary to complete what is basically a high school dropout education(the only princess in Europe this applies to) and the fact that after 11 continuous years of life in the Mediterranean she apparently still feels less than comfortable speaking French in public or often.

She has wonderful qualities, but her evident lack of intellectual curiosity is troubling to me personally.

In addition there is no one in Monaco who will openly question how much money she spends on her fabulous wardrobe as would happen to the DoC in Britain if she regularly appeared in the type of clothes Charlene does. No one in Monaco ever seems to question the point of having a Ruling house. Albert and Charlene are not under that type of pressure period.

I think it's quite enough to praise Charlene for rising magnificently to the occasion as she has rather than compare her to other Royal spouses who have a much less enviable situation than she has.

Last edited:
There is nothing to be gained in comparing the relative work ethic of different princesses. I think all of us enjoy watching Charlene steadily gaining confidence in her role and undertaking solo engagements abroad.

I remember seeing an interview with Victoria Beckham years ago when she let out that the reason she rarely smiles when cameras are around is because she feels very insecure about her smile. She thinks her lips poke out strangely when she smiles, and she'd just rather not have photos taken that way. I get a very similar feeling about Charlene. She has always seemed uncomfortable moving or relaxing in front of cameras if she doesn't have something pretty immersive to take her mind off of them, like interacting with her children, watching sports or swimming. She only seems to smile when she forgets the cameras are there.

Now, I think Charlene has a pretty smile, and I'd be happy to see more of it. But when she smiles she does tend to have more of a "girl next door" look about her than when she keeps her face more still. And I get the impression that royals in Monaco are encouraged to cultivate the sort of elegant boredom that is fashionable among the wealthiest of the wealthy. Caroline, Charlotte and Beatrice all generally give off that air, too. To a certain extent, I think it's part of maintaining Monaco's reputation of Monaco as a playground for world's richest people; these royals are expected to play more to that crowd, while the HRHes of other European nations court the favor of regular, middle-class citizens. Anyway, I can imagine that Charlene may be nervous that she won't be "Monagesque" enough if she relaxes and smiles during events.

For me, the issue of her smile or non-smile is a COMPLETE NON ISSUE. I was constantly questioned by people when I was growing up "Why aren't you smiiling?? Why are you upset/angry/bored etc?"

Most of the time I felt perfectly fine and was as far from angry as could be. But being badgered by the Smile Police actually succeeded in putting me into a bad mood.:bang:

I've seen plenty of photos of Princess Charlene looking delighted and happy, mostly when she is with her own or other children, so I am not sure where the myth that she seems unhappy comes from.

Like most people she smiles when she feels like smiling.

Last edited:
Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 2: January 2014 -

Loonytick, you may have a good point there. I think she is a naturally shy person and maybe feels intimidated when she is confronted by a crowd or a horde of photographers who are often very close when they photograph her. I noticed recently at the PGA just how close they were. I also recalled when the couple attended the Oscars that she seemed to feel uncomfortable with photographers who were yelling her name. She seems to feel very self conscious when attention is focused on her, and much more relaxed when she can be in the background. I also think she is much more confident in a one on one situation as opposed to being confronted with a large group of people.

I, too, like Elly C, think it is difficult and unfair to compare the young Princesses and Queens in terms of their work loads. As moonmaiden23 mentioned they live in different countries with different circumstances and expectations. What criteria do we employ to compare or judge? So many variables are at play.

What does impress me from P Charlene is that she is hands on: always ready to get her hair wet and into a swimsuit to take part in activities/causes she is passionate about. When she teaches children water safety through her Foundation she is right there in the pool with them. I don't often see that kind of "getting their hands dirty" from other Royals.

I also know, as togram pointed out, that not all of the work she does is covered by the media. The are times when they don't get exposure from the Palace PR team or in the media. I recall a visit to an old age home last year when she took the twins along and enjoyed lunch with the elderly. How they must have appreciated that! It wasn't mentioned anywhere. Whether this is her choice or poor PR from the Palace I don't know.

But I agree with melina premiere that she represents Monaco and P Albert well. He can be proud of the way she conducts herself and is getting involved in more and more causes. I suspect that, when the time is right, he will turn the Presidency of the Monegasque Red Cross over to her.

Last edited:
For me, the issue of her smile or non-smile is a COMPLETE NON ISSUE. I was constantly questioned by people when I was growing up "Why aren't you smiiling?? Why are you upset/angry/bored etc?"

Most of the time I felt perfectly fine and was as far from angry as could be. But being nagged by the Smile Police actually succeeded in putting me into a bad mood.:bang:

Like most people she smiles when she feels like smiling.

I too have what is known by my friends as "bitchy resting face". However, I think she needs to smile more in public - I think it's part of her job, people turn up to see her, smile. I don't mean stand around grinning like a total fool, I mean occasionally look like you are enjoying yourself - even if you aren't...

I accept that she may be reserved and shy, I know from people who have met her that in private small gatherings she is relaxed and warm but for me the fact that seems to smile far less in public than she did in the past is A BIG ISSUE. I think it's rude - I suspect she thinks it's more dignified.

I, too, like Elly C, think it is difficult and unfair to compare the young Princesses and Queens in terms of their work loads. As moonmaiden23 mentioned they live in different countries with different circumstances and expectations. What criteria do we employ to compare or judge? So many variables are at play.

What does impress me from P Charlene is that she is hands on: always ready to get her hair wet and into a swimsuit to take part in activities/causes she is passionate about. When she teaches children water safety through her Foundation she is right there in the pool with them. I don't often see that kind of "getting their hands dirty" from other Royals.

I also know, as togram pointed out, that not all of the work she does is covered by the media. The are times when they don't get exposure from the Palace PR team or in the media. I recall a visit to an old age home last year when she took the twins along and enjoyed lunch with the elderly. How they must have appreciated that! It wasn't mentioned anywhere. Whether this is her choice or poor PR from the Palace I don't know. I

Agree it's unfair - which is why I asked Togram to be specific rather than making a veiled general remark. However, you make a comparison with other Royals about getting hands dirty. It's difficult not to make comparisons.

Somebody, somewhere said something about the lunch with the care home as we know about it...

The point I was trying to make is that I don't believe Charlene has a lengthy set of "secret" private engagements - of course, there are some which aren't publicised - but that's the nature of her role - but surely a major part of her role is to be a public figure for her charities and organisations in order to raise the profile.

As to the Palace PR department they have always marched to their own drum.

I remember seeing an interview with Victoria Beckham years ago when she let out that the reason she rarely smiles when cameras are around is because she feels very insecure about her smile. She thinks her lips poke out strangely when she smiles, and she'd just rather not have photos taken that way. I get a very similar feeling about Charlene. She has always seemed uncomfortable moving or relaxing in front of cameras if she doesn't have something pretty immersive to take her mind off of them, like interacting with her children, watching sports or swimming. She only seems to smile when she forgets the cameras are there.

Now, I think Charlene has a pretty smile, and I'd be happy to see more of it. But when she smiles she does tend to have more of a "girl next door" look about her than when she keeps her face more still. And I get the impression that royals in Monaco are encouraged to cultivate the sort of elegant boredom that is fashionable among the wealthiest of the wealthy. Caroline, Charlotte and Beatrice all generally give off that air, too. To a certain extent, I think it's part of maintaining Monaco's reputation of Monaco as a playground for world's richest people; these royals are expected to play more to that crowd, while the HRHes of other European nations court the favor of regular, middle-class citizens. Anyway, I can imagine that Charlene may be nervous that she won't be "Monagesque" enough if she relaxes and smiles during events.

Sorry, I disagree - Caroline may be very "princessy" and aware of her rank but she has one of the warmest smiles, which is often seen.

I think Charlene doesn't naturally love the limelight but she always used to smile in the past.

If she doesn't like lips that stick out strangely there's a quick answer to that...

Charlene carries out a lot of engagements that are not publicized. She is always in her element with children and the elderly. How many other Princesses have we seen swimming with children and not caring whether their hair is wet and without any make up?

Charlene carries out a lot of engagements that are not publicized. She is always in her element with children and the elderly. How many other Princesses have we seen swimming with children and not caring whether their hair is wet and without any make up?

How do you know that?

Several.

I have the feeling that Charlene does not still find how to pose before the medias , she is not very smiling when she is posing at the beginning of an event but the event is not only the photo of the arriving of a princess, the event where Charlene is attending, is more than that , she is visiting the persons, she is speaking with them, and we are seeing always beautiful photos of Charlene with the children, with the ederly persons and handicaped persons, she is warm with them, very near, kissing them, she is very at ease with them and that is the most important part in an event .

If you saw the video of the world rugby awards, you saw that Charlene was very smiling , joking when the speaker is asking questions and she made perfectly her speech. a very different person who posed on the red carpet at the beginning of the gala.

I will say you that I prefer the behaviour of Charlene who does not smile when she is posing on the photo when she is arriving and who is warm , kindly and at ease with the persons who are attending the event to a person who would smile when she is posing for the medias and who is keeping far away from the people during his visit.

Photos published by the palace , Charlene is very smiling when she is arriving and during all the gala but I think that the medias prefer to publish photos when Charlene is not smiling , they can say that she is not happy.

https://www.facebook.com/286449344700945/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1393191887360013

Florestane, Togram is speaking when Charlene is with the children in the pool , learning them to swim , there are a lot of photos , in Marrocco, in france, in Monaco, in Corsica and so... I think you saw them
She is wet without make up, we don't see very rarely princesses in the pool , playing with children.

I

I will say you that I prefer the behaviour of Charlene who does not smile when she is posing on the photo when she is arriving and who is warm , kindly and at ease with the persons who are attending the event to a person who would smile when she is posing for the medias and who is keeping far away from the people during his visit.

I understand what you're saying - I just don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

I know that how she is privately is different - I've spoken to a couple of people who have met her and have been witness to that.

I guess the question for me is why such a change from how she was when she first appeared on the scene to how she is now? Because I don't think she's sad or depressed or unhappy with Albert but her demeanour is different - all I'm guessing is that someone suggested her warm spontaneity as "the girlfriend" wasn't dignified?

Anyway, as ever, this discussion is going round in circles so I shall drop it. It just puzzles me...

Please don't repost content of the National Day celebrations at the individual threads. A couple of posts have been removed. Thanks for your understanding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom