Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 1: July 2011 - December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Cepe! I found it particularly interesting that Maxim befriended Charlene. Glad she has that kind of support.

Lovely article, it clears up some misconceptions. She sounds like a lovely lady.

I must admit the Maxima connection did surprise me. If she had mentioned Sophie Wessex I would have thought OK, but Maxaima never crossed my mind. Good for her though to have made such a friendship.

I must admit the Maxima connection did surprise me. If she had mentioned Sophie Wessex I would have thought OK, but Maxaima never crossed my mind. Good for her though to have made such a friendship.
An interesting and informative article, thank you Cepe for sharing! The relationship with the new Queen of the Netherlands speaks to what I believe is her great talent for empathy and to her background as a child of the New World. Argentina and South Africa have more in common than with England (even the language is problematic, as the Times article noted with hautain her 'broad South African accent!:bang:
You go Charlene!:flowers:

It just annoys me that people say she cried at/during her and PA's wedding ceremony. On the contrary, she was very composed and focused. The tears came much later, when she laid her bouquet at the Saint Devotee Church, and it was a very emotional moment (that beautiful song sang by a mother and daughter made me cry too). Anyways, PC is so unique and true to herself -- I really admire that. She's doing a great job and being a worthy role-model too of what a modern day princess should be: a woman in her own right. She's not going to wear the tiaras and the bling and the colours we want her too; instead she's asserting her own individuality. She does things at her pace, when she feels ready (for it). Nobody is going to bully her into anything.

Wow. That was a good article. It answers alot of questions that I know I have had for some time now. I understand her more now than I did. I suppose Maxima would be a good fit for Charlene since they have a similar scenario that happened in their lives. I have to say she has done a great job with her new status as Princess of Monaco. She has blossomed into quite a unique woman.

Just wanted to observe that I would never describe Princess Charlene as having a 'broad' South African accent! Perhaps the reporter was unaccustomed to nuances of South African pronunciations. I heard her speaking in a video someone was kind enough to post here, and found her to speak in a most cultivated and cultured accent, with a lovely tone of voice also.

Just wanted to observe that I would never describe Princess Charlene as having a 'broad' South African accent! Perhaps the reporter was unaccustomed to nuances of South African pronunciations. I heard her speaking in a video someone was kind enough to post here, and found her to speak in a most cultivated and cultured accent, with a lovely tone of voice also.

You are quite correct. Often Afrikaans speaking South Africans are described as having a 'broad' accent, not English speakers such as P Charlene. This is mainly because sounds in English are softer and more rounded whereas sounds in Afrikaans, being a Germanic language like Dutch or German, are harder and flatter. I do not think that P Charlene, having grown up in Zimbabwe and later in Durban, would have picked up a 'broad' accent. I agree with you, her accent is cultured and soft...

Very interesting article! Thanks a lot :)
I am really glad to hear that she is friends with Maxima!

Thanks Cepe for taking the time to summarise the interview.:) very interesting - Charlene appears to be forging a new approach to being royal which I hope works out. It obviously hasn't been easy for her and I don't think this will change for a few years yet. Interesting too that she doesn't make any mention of Caroline or Stephanie as helping her settle into her role.

thanks for the interview, i enjoyed reading it very much.

i really like charlene, she's down to earth and easy going but also firm and cold-minded. i think that's a nice set of attributes to have when in such a role. albert could not have found a better wife.

i'd love to see her hanging out with maxima sometime soon. maxima seems such an outgoing person, very much like charlene you can see in them a sense of spontaneity that is not present in other european princesses.

cool to see also that maxima gets along with so many royals. her friendship with mathilde, letizia, mette marit, sheikha mozah among others was evident, now we are adding charlene to the list of her best royal friends.

The accent thing is a form of patronising that I particularly dislike; one can only imagine what the reporter's accent sounded like to the princess:lol: Btw, this reporter seems particularly privileged to have such access to hen parties and pre wedding dress scenes; do we know who this person is?:eek::confused:

imgbox - fast, simple image host

I am shocked / appalled / SO disappointed that in this photo Princess Charlene is seen smoking. After being such a high level sports woman, how can she be smoking now. Guess the Monaco royal family all do; but she should have taken a stand!!!!
I am honestly gob-smacked!!!!

Really, have you never heard of a competitive athlete smoking? Greg Louganis, 4 time Olympic Gold medalist in diving, discussed in his autobiography that he smoked (even at the Olympics), and of course multi Olympic medal winner Michael Phelps was famously snapped smoking (pot in his case).

I have, and I am still appalled.
Think athletes strive to be their best in their sport and hopefully live healthy lives to get to the pinnacle of the sport. Smoking does not help get them there!!
I remain very disappointed. Also that in South Africa (where she lived) smoking is definitely not the norm, in fact it is more and more frowned upon...

Last edited by a moderator:
To me is very odd and strange that she is on vacation without her husband....she could have wait for him to have their vacation together...it's strange and I don't agree with that...she seams to have more fun without him...:whistling:

To me is very odd and strange that she is on vacation without her husband....she could have wait for him to have their vacation together...it's strange and I don't agree with that...she seams to have more fun without him...:whistling:

Well, is it really her HOLIDAYS, or just having 2 days off, celebrating a party with friends?
That´s a difference.
But in case we are really talking about holidays, then I agree with you
BYe Bine

It's not the first time that the wife is doing separate holidays from her husband. Maybe he was busy. But speculations are really not necessary, i think. The summer is still to come, let's see if they are going to do something together

I like her swimsuits, but i wish she had worn a bikini!

It's not the first time that the wife is doing separate holidays from her husband. Maybe he was busy. But speculations are really not necessary, i think. The summer is still to come, let's see if they are going to do something together

I like her swimsuits, but I wish she had worn a bikini!

Maybe the time she can spend with her old friends and her short escapes from Monaco are good for the relationship because a little bit of separation can sometimes make people appreciate each others company more.
When a couple is together 24/7 they are in danger of loosing this romantic feeling, but I agree that it looks a little bit odd when Charlene stays away from important official events where all the other Crown Princesses are present.
I hope that Charlene will feel more at home in Monaco over the time, to me it seems as if she is getting better and feels more confident in her public role.

Personally I prefer the swimsuits over bikinis, somehow women look more "dressed" and elegant with a swimsuit,
but everyone has a different taste in fashion;-)

Thank you Cepe for posting the summary of the article of Times.It was very nice you took the times to do the summary for us.

An article of this interview in the D Mail
Monaco's Princess Charlene finally addresses THOSE runaway bride rumours | Mail Online

Great to see that finally Charlene receives some positive press! The awful gossip before her wedding was absolutely horrible,it must have been devastating to read all the lies for a bride-to-be who is about to marry into a royal family.
I am happy to see a new side of Charlene and hope that she is getting better acquainted with her royal position and the new life in a country that is so different from South Africa.
At first I thought she seems a little bit cold and aloof,but now I imagine that she was probably terrified and insecure because of all the bad press and negative feedback she received.
On a side-note: Charlene looks so beautiful in the picture where she has long hair, it really suits her :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, he's a billionaire. He's also 79 or 80 years old. Perhaps a good friend of Albert and a grandfather figure.

Appearing without her wedding-ring makes an extraordinary statement - I'm not happy about that...

Really? My parents were married for over 60 yrs yet they still felt it was OK to take seperate vacations when they wanted to. Sometimes it was because of scheduling issies and sometimes because they wanted to do different things.....he enjoyed shooting, fishing, golfing holidays and she preferred the beaches of the med, or sailing, or shopping in Paris, Rome or NYC. They felt a little time apart doing their own thing was good for them both but then they were pretty secure individuals. They also never worried about what their friends or families might think about how they lived their lives which was a good lesson they taught us all.

60 years is a lot of years being together whilst this one is only two.Your parents are private individuals who did'nt experience being the center of gossips, being the bride trying to bolt away from the groom..maybe we're just used to seeing other princesses consort taking their off time with their spouses very early on on their marriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom