Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella News 1: December 2014 - September 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The following news show has a report both of the twins‘ first day back at school and their visit to Dublin with Prince Albert (see his current events thread for more about that):

Are the twins on Midterm holidays at the moment?

I like the idea of Prince Albert having them privately tutored at the Palace with a few of their peers, especially in the absence of their mother.

It goes against the trend in all reigning royal families that royal children should be at normal schools, having normal youths, and interact with normal schoolmates as much as possible.

Having classes at the palace sounds very much alike royals before WWI.

I don't like the idea at all. And wonder why he pulled them out of school (if true) as they previously attended school. The only other family that privately tutored their children that comes to mind is the Moroccan royal family (although I assume their are other examples in the Middle East or Far East).

Perhaps it's just too much for J&G with the uncertainty of their mother and they do better in more familiar surroundings. Without reading the article, I initially assumed it had something to do with the pandemic, of course. No one is saying they will never return to school.

We don’t know what was the decision to “palace school” the children. Whatever it was I am sure their parents thought long and hard about it. They children seem happy, very polite and well adjusted. I know many Royals send their children to school but it’s okay not too. I feel that this is a private decision for family. The children are a joy to see. The family does not even have to let the public see them or pictures but we are lucky they do give us many opportunities to see the twins. I hope they have the nicest childhood possible. Life’s pressures from public and media will even be harder as they get older. Time goes to quickly, let them enjoy this time. JMOO. I know others have theirs.

We don’t know what was the decision to “palace school” the children. Whatever it was I am sure their parents thought long and hard about it. They children seem happy, very polite and well adjusted. I know many Royals send their children to school but it’s okay not too. I feel that this is a private decision for family. The children are a joy to see. The family does not even have to let the public see them or pictures but we are lucky they do give us many opportunities to see the twins. I hope they have the nicest childhood possible. Life’s pressures from public and media will even be harder as they get older. Time goes to quickly, let them enjoy this time. JMOO. I know others have theirs.

In interviews and articles with "old-school-tutored" royals they often felt locked up in guilded cages. And one-on-one tutors make it impossible for a child to dream away under lessons, to plot and to interact with classmates or to rebel even. Let me give an evolution from my own country but exemplaric in all today's monarchies:

Queen Wilhelmina (born 1880) was strictly tutored by elderly professors one-on-one, often with the prying eyes of her mother sitting in the "classroom". This extremely lonely and dreadful experience led to her later decision to establish a special palace-class for her daughter Princess Juliana (born 1909).

But this class was only manned with 4 girls: Princess Juliana plus three daughters of aristocrats at the Court. Wonderful, pure and livelong cherished friendships were created but the result was a totally unrealistic and naïve view on the world.

This experience led to the extreme: Juliana later put Princess Beatrix (born 1938) and her sisters not even to a normal primary school but to a no-holds-barred "discover yourself, express yourself" experimental "workplace" (even the word school was too loaden, it was wokeness anno 1950's.) It led to a crisis at the palace as Prince Bernhard thought his daughters were raised as wild monkeys.

Prince Bernhard finally convinced Juliana and their daughters were replaced to a "normal school" in the village, but not really: a villa was bought and created a dependance of the local school. So the princesses could enjoy "normal school" but in reality had their lessons in a special enclave.

This evolution is the same in other monarchies, from Boudouin/Albert to Philippe to Elisabeth in Belgium, from Juan Carlos to Felipe to Leonor in Spain, etc.

Morale of the story: taking Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella to private schooling inside the palace sounds very much as the opposite of the development mentioned above. I hope this is just temporary and the twins soon can return to their classmates at normal school!

Last edited:
It goes against the trend in all reigning royal families that royal children should be at normal schools, having normal youths, and interact with normal schoolmates as much as possible.

Having classes at the palace sounds very much alike royals before WWI.

True, but maybe one of them wasn't adjusting well? Or maybe Albert simply wants to reinforce their bond with the only parent who is present at this time?

In any case I am sure HSH would not be making this change without a good reason.

St. Francis of Assisi is reportedly the most elite private school in the Principality.

If memory serves, Albert and Caroline were also privately tutored at the Palace during their early years.

I think if they were planning to homeschool for the rest of their childhood it would be a problem however there is no indication of this.

I think it is likely they are just doing this whilst schooling continues to be unstable due to the pandemic and with Charlene still being away from Monaco as Albert seems to be doing a lot of hands on parenting.

Albert has already indicated he wants to take the children with him to Glasgow and they have gone to other events with him. Their education is probably less disrupted if they are following a program at the palace that can travel with them more easily than a classroom curriculum.

However, if Charlene returns and this continues when she can stay in Monaco with the children then I agree this would be a concern.

The Twins sure are close. I love to see how they hold hands at some events like they are reassuring each other! Happy to see the Princess no longer has a cast. I hope they enjoy their time visiting!

The bond between twins is something incredible. It is indescribable, it goes much deeper than brotherly love. Jacques and Gabriella are a shining example of it.

If they idea is for the twins to be able to travel with Albert; what happens to the 'other children' in the palace class when Jacques and Gabriella join their father. Will the teacher join them or remain in the palace with their classmates? And how will the group (either twins or classmates) without a teacher continue to be educated; online? If so, couldn't that be arranged with the apparently elite school that they were attending until very recently?

If they idea is for the twins to be able to travel with Albert; what happens to the 'other children' in the palace class when Jacques and Gabriella join their father. Will the teacher join them or remain in the palace with their classmates? And how will the group (either twins or classmates) without a teacher continue to be educated; online? If so, couldn't that be arranged with the apparently elite school that they were attending until very recently?
It's a two week holiday at the moment so they're fine to travel and the other children will presumably be doing their own thing. I don't think this is a permanent arrangement but there has been a lot going on recently for them - maybe it was just easier this way.

The twins are still very young. If both of them are average or above average academically their school work won’t suffer when they take these trips with their father. I assume the teacher could give them various assignments to complete while they’re gone and arrange to check in with them periodically. The other children in the group could continue on as usual with the teacher in Monaco.

I think taking the twins to events like the climate summit, talking to them about what it all means, planning little trips to museums and so on would likely be more educational overall then whatever was on their first grade curriculum for those few days.

I have friends whose elementary school aged children were part of a small group of kids who were educated together outside of their regular school for part of last year. There was a lot of uncertainty with in school learning due to COVID and their parents wanted to minimize disruptions to the children’s learning. I have the impression it worked well, although it was never meant to be permanent and the children are all back in school now.

As to why this all couldn’t be arranged with their prior school, that’s a good question. Maybe it is being done with the school’s cooperation?

The twins are still very young. If both of them are average or above average academically their school work won’t suffer when they take these trips with their father. I assume the teacher could give them various assignments to complete while they’re gone and arrange to check in with them periodically. The other children in the group could continue on as usual with the teacher in Monaco.
Sure, but in that case the argument that they are more flexible this way becomes a moot point - because they could probably arrange the same at the school they attended.

As to why this all couldn’t be arranged with their prior school, that’s a good question. Maybe it is being done with the school’s cooperation?
Exactly. There might be good reasons to educate your children outside of the school but for traveling purposes it doesn't work while at the same time you invited other children into your 'classroom' - as they won't be traveling with you.

Why to critic this kind of schooling? the parents do what they prefer for their children
Jcques and Gabriella are with other children who are surely very happy to learn reading, counting, grography history in a little comittee, everybody know that children are learning more easy with 10 children than with a classroom of 30 children, they are free to follow this schooling instead to g oto an ordinary xhool
The parents of these children must be very happy that their child is learning with a futur sovereign prince and a princess

When rhe princely children are not attending to the school for the reason of a official travel with the parents or they may be ill, the children go on to come to the palace to learn

Untill the years 1960, the royal princes and princesses stayed at the palace for their schooling with other children, Princess Ann went to school when she was 13, Prince Albert, princess Caroline and after princess Stephanie went to school at the age of 8, princess Grace said that before this age, the children were too young to follow the schooling in a school out of the palace

The princely twins went to a kindergarden of the Red Cross when they were 16 months, they went to the school Montesorri and after to the public school 'Stella' this year they entered at the DanB in september, it is not sure that they are not learning in the palace, the prince Albert said that his children are in holidays of school now. The french pupils and monegash pupils are in holidays until november 8th

If the children are srudying in the palace, I think it is for a tempory time there are a lot of reasons
The pandemie with wearing the mask all the day
Gabriella broke her leg, it was not easy to go to school with a wheelschair
Their mother is suffering in SA and not in Monaco, the prince Albert wants to prevent them from the bad rumors

Now they are in holidays and it is good for them to be with their father during this official visit in Scotland

Sure, but in that case the argument that they are more flexible this way becomes a moot point - because they could probably arrange the same at the school they attended.

Exactly. There might be good reasons to educate your children outside of the school but for traveling purposes it doesn't work while at the same time you invited other children into your 'classroom' - as they won't be traveling with you.

I feel like some details in the report are probably missing or inaccurate. Maybe, after everything that’s happened with their mother, the twins want to be with Albert as much as possible so he’s made some sort of temporary special arrangement with the school. The other children might just be friends who come for a regular play date, or extra lessons, etc.

I could imagine, that this is an arrangement with some of the twins' good friends and is in connection with preparations of Princess Charlène's return. With all she went through her immune system might not be in the best condition and they might want to create a bubble for the children (much easier to keep track of a small group than a whole school of students), so they can have some semblance of normalcy and minimize the risk of carrying in viral or bacterial infections, which might be detrimental for their mother's health.

best wishes Michiru

Last monday, on the photos in the honnor yard,when they were with their parents and aunt, the twins wore the uniform of the FanB school, I think that the news of the twins schooling at the palace seem to be untrue

Last monday, on the photos in the honnor yard,when they were with their parents and aunt, the twins wore the uniform of the FanB school, I think that the news of the twins schooling at the palace seem to be untrue

Thank you for your observation and comment. I noticed that too and wondered if the twins were wearing uniforms at the palace for home schooling but then I remembered the twins in uniforms when they were attending a brick and mortar school when they first started school. From what I remembered the uniforms were the same, why wear a uniform at home?! I bet with traveling at any time, they have a tutor so they stay caught up with their class mates at a brick and mortar school. I am sure they enjoy all their classmates. Jmoo.

:previous: I like the fact that other children will be able to take classes with Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella. Thus the twins will not be absolutely by themselves.

I am struck by the fact he used "ressent" and not "miss". Very very sad, how can you explain the situation to six years olds ?

Imagine too, there must have been so much buildup around "Mommy finally coming home", and then she had to leave again.

It seems smart of Albert to both do this and emphasize it's not going to be forever. I hope they are being well-looked after emotionally, not just physically. And I hope they manage not to be sad and angry soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom