Prince Albert's trip to Antarctica, Jan 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pic 4.1.2009

Here's another nice pic of Albert yesterday:

Prince Albert of Monaco walks as he arrives at Punta Arenas
January 4, 2009. He is in southern Chile to visit Antartica.

-----> Pic

Prince Alberto of Monaco in Punta Arenas, some 3000 km south of Santiago, on December 4, 2009. Prince Alberto will lodge in the Chilean Air Force base Eduardo Frei Montalva, and will visit other 26 scientific bases from 18 countries, among them those of Russia, China, Uruguay, South Korea, Brazil and Poland.
AFP/Getty
AFP/Getty
Belga
Belga
Belga
Prince Alberto of Monaco complies with the tradition of kissing the foot of the statue to the Patagonian Indian.
AFP/Getty

Pics 5.1.2008

This photo provided Tuesday Jan. 6, 2009, by the Monaco Palace shows
Prince Albert II of Monaco talking with an unidentified Russian scientist,
Monday Jan. 5, 2009, on George Island, off Antartica, as part of a voyage
to the South Pole to raise awareness about global warming. The trip will
last through Jan. 22 and will include visits to 26 international bases on
Antarctica.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

This photo provided Tuesday Jan. 6, 2009, by the Monaco Palace
shows Prince Albert II of Monaco arriving Monday Jan. 5, 2009, on
George Island.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Glistening Seas

:eek:O_M_G there is no snow. We all know it's summer but honestly it's really, really hard to think of -15 degrees being "summer-like". Whaaat brave people to work there under such harsh conditions. PA's pics turned out great the coat looks fab on him. Although a t-shirt??? it's possible that minus the "adorable" floppy" ears PA is indeed part polar creature??? it was hoped there would be pics of beautiful ice formations and all things creatures from Antartica and skies too but we will have to see. :D :candycane::poinsettia:

I've found an additional pic from yesterday,
Albert posing for a photograph with a group of scientists and
students, during his arrival to the Chilean Antarctic, on 05
January 2009.

------> Pic

Pic 6.1.2009

Here's a nice pic from yesterday:

This photo provided Wednesday Jan. 7, 2009, by the Monaco Palace shows Prince Albert
II of Monaco watching penguins on Ardley island, off Antarctica, Tuesday Jan 6, 2009 as
part of a voyage to the South Pole to raise awareness about global warming.

-----> Pic

So, on 01/05 prince Albert was at George Island. This island seems not to have any plants at all, just rocks and no snow...
It seems PA hit Antarctic continent day later than we thought, on 01/06. Of course if we consider Ardley Island a part of continent.;)
I just realized that all pics from Antarctic came with a 24 hour delay. So, even in times of fast information some places are still remote...

Glistening Seas

:lol: It's indeed a great shot! It's a miracle the bright red clothing doesn't frighten the animal. Although Penguins have no fear of humans and it appears to be the case hee!! :candycane::wreath:

Yes, the penguin photo is very nice. Prince Albert is clearly enjoying the close encounter. It's always good to see him taking such an interest in the sciences and the environment.

I'm surprised at how little snow there is. It is Antarctica, after all.

I'm glad you liked that pic as much as I did :)

I still have to get used to the wolly hats on him ;)

Prince Albert of Monaco visits the satellite station at the
Great Wall Chinese base in Antartica on January 6, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

I wonder who is more fascinated...him or the penguin?

Glistening Seas

:lol: great observation stellad. You're probably right, too!!! that place hasn't seen much activity till PA and students showed up to break up the monotony of it all!! Must say PA is more appropriately dressed great outfits. However, too so much melted water and so little snow was a shock to the system here as well. We will just have to wait and see what the results of his visit prove??:candycane:

Yes, the penguin photo is very nice. Prince Albert is clearly enjoying the close encounter. It's always good to see him taking such an interest in the sciences and the environment.

I'm surprised at how little snow there is. It is Antarctica, after all.

It is currently summer in Antarctica. :flowers:

Well, that just burst a bubble. I never thought summer comes around over there. :)

Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country. Ninety percent of the world's ice covers Antarctica. This ice also represents 70% of all the fresh water in the world. As strange as it sounds, however, Antarctica is essentially a desert. The average yearly total precipitation is about two inches. Although covered with ice (all but 0.4% of it) Antarctica is the driest place on the planet, with an absolute humidity lower than the Gobi desert.

....Just part of the education process about where PA is.

Glistening Seas

As cold as it is over there and that water is liquid--it seems like a paradox? doesn't it? Where was he traveling to today in Antartica if he went to china place yesterday??:candycane::newyear:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glistening Seas

:eek: ii-i-i-is that the "only" way to get accross from one side to another?? :ermm:oh-h-h my, they need a rope to keep them safe. yiikes. what about high tide or blizzards. Guess they don't go out then if weather is like that. That water so perfectly pure and clean how beautiful. Can't imagine such a place like thaat having so many rocks inside the water?? that's surprising especially since there is such an expanse of water area. at one time must have been an active geological area, do you suppose??:candycane::newyear:

Pics 9.1.2009

Prince Albert II of Monaco and one of Antarctic Logistics and
Expeditions (ALE) directors David Rootes, near the Patriot Hills
base camp, Antarctica, Friday Jan 9, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Glistening Seas

:eek: Don't they have dog sleds for dragging this stuff around??? :lol: Of course there is a relief we actually do see more than a few snow flakes or a boulder of snow in this pics!! wheeew!!!
:candycane:PA must be a superb athletically inclined individual. however, still one would think a dog sled would be in order? do you suppose? Unless the dogs are too much to take care of and would alter the landscape and attention to the area. in which case, c-a-r-r-y o-n :lol::candycane:

Prince Albert II of Monaco and one of Antarctic Logistics and
Expeditions (ALE) directors David Rootes, near the Patriot Hills
base camp, Antarctica, Friday Jan 9, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Question: Is it U.S. station?...
looking at Albert's activities it seem they will use human snow sleds to get to the South Pole.;)

Looking at Albert's activities it seem they will use human snow sleds to get to the South Pole.;)

Not on your life! The continent covers over 14 million sq km making it 1.5 times the size of the USA. Antartica occupies approximately 9% of the world's land surface. If you're interested, more can be learned at Cool Antartica. The group will probably use a combination of transportation that is suitable for the continent.

Glistening Seas

:innocent: Mah-velous simply Mah-velous whaaat a h-u-u-g-e relief that they are not doing the human dogsled thing--honestly we had 'no" idea Antartica was thaat big. talk about bringing new meaning to frostbite yiikes.
:holly:Personally, under those horrid cold and weather conditions and atmospheric conditions even the most astute athlete would be putting themselves in harms way doing the human dog sled thing.
So, using transport even with a small carbon foot print is far wiser and quicker than the human sled alternative. Sm douglas you "are" a master of knowledge about the antartic region, goood job on info. Although personally a palm tree and some wine is much more my idea of a good time. But hey, looks like the 'polars" are the recreation of choice and are "the" place to be (besides the polar creatures are sooo cute)sooo, carry on !!!:lol::candycane:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom