Prince Albert's trip to Antarctica, Jan 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glistening Seas

:flowers: hopefully they aren't going to draaag those things too far. As flat as that land appears even at top speed they couldn't possibly be covering :snowman:much land? Is the air thinner in Antartica than in other places in world? does anyone know?? :candycane:

Pic 14.1.2009

Great news - Albert has made it! :)

Prince Albert II of Monaco with Monaco's flag at the South Pole, 14
January 2009. Prince Albert II of Monaco is the first acting head of
state to have visited all five continents including North and South
Pole during his term of office. He reached the North Pole five years
ago with dog sleighs, he arrived at the South Pole on skis on 14
January 2009. Prince Albert intends to call attention to the
consequences of the climate change with this rather unusual
business trip.

-----> Pic

All this is very good, am I thinking with a little grim, but what about Charlene?

Glistening Seas

iceflower says--Great news - Albert has made it! :)

Can anyone tell us if they stayed in tents on way to south pole to make it to this point?? So, since they made it to the South pole then will it be that the rest of the time will be used to travel to other places along the way??? Also, while you are at it, can 'anyone' tell us how many miles on skiis PA and crews travelled on ski's?? :candycane:Even an answer to one of these questions would be of interest to all of us!:candycane:

One more pic
IBL
Wonder, each of those guys is PA?

:previous:
So, PA made it:)
Glistening Seas, you are asking all good questions about his ski trip. It is really interesting to know if Albert and his team stayed in tents overnight.
Temp. were -40F:eek:. And skiing two days seems exhausting.I wish the article says how many miles they skied...Maybe someone has more news
The Associated Press: Monaco's Prince Albert II visits South Pole

There is also another pic of Albert. Does anyone know where it was done? It does not look like South Pole...
AFP: Monaco's Prince Albert reaches South Pole

There is also another pic of Albert. Does anyone know where it was done? It does not look like South Pole...
AFP: Monaco's Prince Albert reaches South Pole

The pic in that link was taken at the beginning of Albert's trip
on George Island on January 5, 2009. :) You can see more
pics like this on the first page of this thread.

Here's a link with some great pics from the trip and some examples:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Albert von Monaco am Südpol

Last edited:
Yes, smdouglas, now I am understanding what you mean. Indeed!. So sorry. Please excuse. Kind regards.

Pic 15.1.2009

Here's a pic from today:

Prince Albert II of Monaco, left, listening to U.S scientist
David G. Ainley at Ross Island, Antarctica, Jan. 15, 2009.

-----> Pic

Glistening Seas

:) Got that right never even noticed the color of the sled. Good eye!!! The classroom chat that PA had from Antartica really was fab. It makes the children part of the historical moment that belongs to Monaco.

That's indeed quite interesting to see, smdouglas,
thanks for posting :flowers:

Here's a very nice pic of Albert from January 15:

-------> Pic

And here's a link with several pics from his journey
( some have been posted before, but there are some new ones as well):

-------> belga gallery

Glistening Seas

:candycane: The top pic is my fav. Does that look like bare earth to you??? Or is the snow off color a bit??? eek? Since he made it to the poles?? Whaat is left on PA's journey??? till the 22nd? It doesn't seem like he encountered too many animals or is it because it's summer that they just don't hang around???much???:advent:

Me too I like that pic a lot, but I'm not sure whether it's
snow or bare earth. The formations could be taken as
rocks and if the colours on the pic are true to original
they are grey.
I guess the journey will go on including a walking tour to
the other bases that are still left.

ALBERTO DE MÓNACO: UN AVENTURERO EN LA ANTÁRTIDA

Today, Albert will visit Vostok, a Russian station which is described as the most isolated scientific research centre in Antarctica

Today, Albert will experience "an adventure within an adventure" when he visits Vostok, a Russian station which is described as the most isolated scientific research centre in Antarctica which is also known as the worst place on Earth for man.

The lowest temperature on Earth was recorded as minus 89.2 degrees on July 21st, 1983.

Today, Albert will experience "only" around minus fifty degrees.

The oldest piece of ice ever removed from Vostok is over 400 000 years old. The scientists found a lake 4000 metres below the station, with bacteria, i.e. life.

Albert is not just following the example and work of his great-grandfather Albert I, but he has already exceeded it.

So much more riveting than marriage rumours......

Last edited by a moderator:
Glistening Seas

:eek: More riveting is right. The "worst" place on earth for man??? geez Thaaat sounds pretty mysterious to say the least. We have only had the -75 wind chills factors out here and that's been pretty bad. Honestly, no wonder there are no other animals out there besides penguins. Is that right?? hopefully, there will be more pics. Makes one reach for the "hot cocoa' or wine ;) just thinking about it. Makes that leftover Christmas eggnog sound more appetizing every minute, don't you suppose so??? :lol:

Pics 19.1.2009

Finally some new pics from the trip:

Prince Albert II of Monaco (3rd R, top row) poses with his team at Vostok
base during his expedition to Antarctica in this photo provided by the
Monaco Palace January 19, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

According to Monaco Telecom, Albert will be back home on the 25th.

Glistening Seas

:D there is so much to be learned from those samples. Wonder if there have been anything recently discovered that is different??? :easterbunny:

Could you post the link where you found Alberts return date on Monaco Telekom. Thanks

Glistening Seas

:eek: Uhhh oh one degree alreaady??? According to scientific research if the ocean gets either 3 degrees warmer or colder "everything" in it dies. So if one degree has already shifted that doesn't leave too much longer to go. Not good news on the icy front. Ohh a good cup of hot cocoa/wine will comfort those icy thoughts. :igloo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom