The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Aristocracy

there are a lot of strikes in Monaco....

Old 08-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Nobility

It hard on Head of State if he do a good job it not a enough. The only reason Pr. Albert is getting bad criticism is because Charlene and that not fair.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody7058 View Post
It hard on Head of State if he do a good job it not a enough. The only reason Pr. Albert is getting bad criticism is because Charlene and that not fair.
That is not true. Charlene is just the tiniest bit of the criticism against him. No one would criticise him the way it is done now, if he was doing a good job. But since he isn't, people hope that at least if he choses a capable wife she could help him out and make things a little better. But with Charlene they don't see it. I think that some people are hoping that he would marry someone who woud be able to do the job for him, raise some decent children and leave him to the representative duties where he reads a prewritten speech and practicing it all day long would be the most important thing he'd do. Unfortunetely nowadays, incapable princes tend to chose incapable wives as marriages are no longer arranged to make allies or even out the prospective rulers misgivings.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Nobility

It's hard to find a good wife if people is watching your every mood.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:05 AM
Courtier

In a recent interview, Albert said he has Grace's personality, Caroline has Rainier's and Steph is a mix of both parents...I thought it was interesting in light of who got the "throne". MAybe Albert would have made a good husband for a Queen...
Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It's hard to find a good wife if people is watching your every mood.
It is generally hard to find a good partner, but honestly it is a little easy to blame Alberts poor judgement on the public. It worked well enough for his father or other royals of more importance and public coverage. Look at the Queen, Juan Carlos etc. They found themselves capable partners. Albert has pretty much the same dating pattern as Prince Andrew. They are both playboys and they both take after the easy prey that is more recognized for its physical then its intellectual achievemnent. Fergie was for Prince Andrew probably the best quality catch he had. Or take Prince Frederic, another playboy who had his mother relieved when he actually turned up with Mary in tow. The first one that could actually be made presentable of his girlfriends.

I think Albert has shown bad judgement all throughout his youth and he hasn't learned his lesson yet. The only difference is that before he had Rainier to look after him and ensure that he wasn't being completely foolish by marrying these women. Why Rainier was so fearful of Albert entering into a desastrous marriage I don't know. Maybe it would have been good for him to have a shortlived one to get it out of his system and be smarter next time. Like Caro with Stefano after Junot. But maybe, being himself a child of divorced parents, he thought he could prevent his prospective grandchildren from that fate.

On a different note for those interested in daily life in Monaco, there is a letter of the mother of a handicaped child in the paper, telling how her child was asked one day to the next without reasons and giving the parents a chance to react and get themselves organized, to please no longer send their child to school as it was unwanted. The story she tells shows a rather heartless picture of Monaco and what really happens here. You see the princely family attend charity dinners have their picture taken, but when it comes to those at their doorstep, they simply lift their feet and walk over them. None of them came to the support of this child and spared him the distress of being unwanted. And when you consider that the psychological aspect can play a major role with handicapped children and how necessary the social contact is for these children... and how to explain to a child that the same school that didn't want it a year ago is now ready to accept it. How to trust? For how long? What has changed? the child is still handicapped ... Why couldn't the school try to make things possible before, even if it means a little hassle for the others? It is a good lesson to learn and probably of more value to teach the other healthy children that there is someone to be looked after who needs to be accepted as equal. It will help them to grow into better adults. And it is a good lesson to the adults too, who often enough prefer to turn their heads istead of lending a helping hand.

It is in situations like this were I'd expect the members of the family to show themselves, be active, make things happen and at least lend moral support. Monaco isn't that big and there aren't that many handicapped people around, so it wouldn't be too difficult to find out who they are and ask them drectly about their problems and how they could be helped. Didn't Albert nominate someone as responsible for the handicapped when he first took office? What was this guy doing all the time? twiddling his thumbs?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca View Post
That is not true. Charlene is just the tiniest bit of the criticism against him. No one would criticise him the way it is done now, if he was doing a good job. But since he isn't, people hope that at least if he choses a capable wife she could help him out and make things a little better. But with Charlene they don't see it. I think that some people are hoping that he would marry someone who woud be able to do the job for him, raise some decent children and leave him to the representative duties where he reads a prewritten speech and practicing it all day long would be the most important thing he'd do. Unfortunetely nowadays, incapable princes tend to chose incapable wives as marriages are no longer arranged to make allies or even out the prospective rulers misgivings.
Paca, Goody and others: don't forget the Charlene situation in itself is crazy and in my book offending enough. Charlene isn't kept hidden or out of the spotlights. On the contrary, she is shown like a show dog. She doesn't have any status at all, she isn't even called a date or a girlfriend, let alone a fiancée or wife. But she does get treated like one. Perpetually on Albert's side, more magazine attention that Albert, Caroline and Stéphanie together, her showing up at events where she has, IMO, not really any reason to be, the list is endless. That, more than her perceived unsuitability and more than the perceived lack of affection between her and Albert, is what bothers me most. It's so offensive. (JMO) As if Clinton took Monica to a state visit with queen Elisabeth and prince Philip or something.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine View Post
Paca, Goody and others: don't forget the Charlene situation in itself is crazy and in my book offending enough. Charlene isn't kept hidden or out of the spotlights. On the contrary, she is shown like a show dog. She doesn't have any status at all, she isn't even called a date or a girlfriend, let alone a fiancée or wife. But she does get treated like one. Perpetually on Albert's side, more magazine attention that Albert, Caroline and Stéphanie together, her showing up at events where she has, IMO, not really any reason to be, the list is endless. That, more than her perceived unsuitability and more than the perceived lack of affection between her and Albert, is what bothers me most. It's so offensive. (JMO) As if Clinton took Monica to a state visit with queen Elisabeth and prince Philip or something.

Ghislaine. Your comments, for me, is the essence of the whole "relationship" picture. (And I hate like heck getting into this ad nauseam) But according to the behaviors you mention, its put out there for you to possibly read favorably without a commited statement.

Therefore, however, it turns out there you are. It seemingly is designed to drive folks like the posters here crazy for going on two years now. Well, at least never a dull moment. What an exciting life. Was mother Grace's personality that mercurial and provacative?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Not to mention the criticism on his reaction to criticism....like suing people arround all the time....And his green spirit isn't that green really...Do you remember when he visited a NP in Slovenia or something of the sort? It raised a storm because he travelled there with a helicopter and he should have and could have walked...It was later explained and the reasons given were lack of time and security...
Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Nobility

I think Albert get criticism most of the time even when he trying to do good that make him angry.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Actually, I don't recall any other royal doing this with a girlfriend or friend as she has recently been described. I could be wrong but I believe the rest were engaged before they brought their girlfriends to public events in a public way. They may have been at events but not obviously with their princes or princesses. I should clarify my statement to say formal functions or official events. Not sporting events.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Serene Highness

Official Companion?

Quote:
Hi Ghislane,
Isn't CW dubbed the 'official companion" by some English newspaper of Pa?I have to agree with all that you have so articulately put here but why do I still get that feeling thatperhaps we ain't seen nothing yet.?[double entendre meant]
Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
Actually, I don't recall any other royal doing this with a girlfriend or friend as she has recently been described. I could be wrong but I believe the rest were engaged before they brought their girlfriends to public events in a public way. They may have been at events but not obviously with their princes or princesses. I should clarify my statement to say formal functions or official events. Not sporting events.
You are correct about this hibou that other royals were not as progressive as pa about taking their official companions out and about without a formal betrothal .
Especially to all these sporting events........
I have to wonder who is chasing who in this romance ? Is CW who lives is Sa chasing Pa who is in Monaco or is Pa chasing Cw who is in Sa & Monaco respectively?I wonder if it matters?Confusing dynamics......
Old 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've moved a conversation here from the Prince Albert current events thread; it was easier to move the whole thing here than try to split it between this thread and the Albert and Charlene relationship thread. However, before this discussion takes off again in the direction of the Albert-Charlene relationship, please note that that topic belongs in the Albert and Charlene relationship thread, not here.

Elspeth

Monaco moderator
Old 08-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

It seems that th palace is on a major repair Alberts image at home route. There is a huge article about him mixing with the big guns in todays paper, praising how many heads of state he has met etc etc. The main source for the article is of course Mme Stahl, who is responsible for his image. So obviously she isn't going to say that he used his travels also to keep his lover interested by offering impressive outings and that at home he hasn't been doing anything particularly noticeable so that there he faces a major crisis with people bickering over the power vacuum he has left at home. ANd it seems that they will have plenty of occasion to continue as ALbert does not seem to have any intention to affront the problem and will continue his flight from Monaco to the US end of September and after that all over Europe. I suppose in 2008 he will come back from one of his travels and find the winner of the bickering seated on his throne welcoming him back, giving him new travelling assignments. Someone seems incapable to learn his lesson.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It seems that th palace is on a major repair Alberts image at home route. There is a huge article about him mixing with the big guns in todays paper, praising how many heads of state he has met etc etc. The main source for the article is of course Mme Stahl, who is responsible for his image. So obviously she isn't going to say that he used his travels also to keep his lover interested by offering impressive outings and that at home he hasn't been doing anything particularly noticeable so that there he faces a major crisis with people bickering over the power vacuum he has left at home. ANd it seems that they will have plenty of occasion to continue as ALbert does not seem to have any intention to affront the problem and will continue his flight from Monaco to the US end of September and after that all over Europe. I suppose in 2008 he will come back from one of his travels and find the winner of the bickering seated on his throne welcoming him back, giving him new travelling assignments. Someone seems incapable to learn his lesson.
i read article, I didn't want to say anything about that, because the only thing I wanted to say is "Someone seems incapable to learn his lesson "and struggle for power will go on... i guess that some guys are trying to do their best for Monaco and sometimes the only thing they can do is watching fight, and waiting for "the return".
Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 AM
Nobility

Before Albert can help Monaco he have to help himself first. Get his life in order.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Before Albert can help Monaco he have to help himself first. Get his life in order.
He had 50 years almost of getting his life in order. HE was an underachiever there and will be likewise as head of state if he doesn't wake up soon. But it looks like he doesn't have any intention of doing so. HE thinks that his PR can do that for him. Unfortunetely PR isn't everything. Only people without substance need PR to deflect from their incapability. Those who talk about what they are doing the most are usually the ones that are doing the least. At least in my experience.

On another note: todays paper talks about a support webpage for the organist. Apparently about 300 people have signed a petition for him to get his job back, as he has been fired before even found guilty. (If I am not mistaken that is unlawful even in Monaco, as that would mean that you are being considered guilty before the verdict, so he should actually sue his employer for unlawful act). The paper isn't sure whether this is a joke or not, as the site is an organists site and the people there are not Monegasque. Interesting as it seems that the Monaco matin has no problem with non Chinese criticism of Chinas huma right practice etc. The journalist forgot obviously that in countries that punish their critics by silencing them with threatening their existence, it is highly unlikely that you will find open support. If Monegasques would openly support the poor organist, they do indeed risk disadvantage in their daily lifes. And not only for them, also for their families. Monaco is small, after all and there are many ways of making things difficult for people. People are not willing to do so. There is no need to torture people here, Monaco has other ways. I am surprised that Mandela (maeline@nelsonmandela.org) actually sits at the same table with Albert this weekend, when Albert in essence does not share the same values. I wonder what answer you would get. For those interested in the site L'Hydraule
Old 09-05-2007, 01:46 AM
Majesty

All posts regarding Albert, Mr Giacone and the red nose have been moved to the Red Nose Debate thread. Happy posting!

Mandy
Monaco Moderator
Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I think we are forgetting PA's most recent major achievement - that of acquiring a life partner, in the shape of Charlene Wittstock.

Long overdue as it may be, he has finally put in place this vital piece of the Monaco jigsaw - a Princess.

From a Monaco which was somewhat tarnished by rumours of money laundering and alleged dodgy dealings with oligarchs, PA, with the help of his team, has drawn a line under most of these, and he has turned the Principality from an economic pariah state into a - largely - respectable and respected mini-state.

PA has also managed to play the "environment" card by launching his own environmental charity, the "Fondation Prince Albert II de Monaco" (FPA). In addition, he has become part of a world-wide network of environmental scientists and other practitioners in this field.

He has also created / extended the network of ambassadorial and consular relationships, begun by his father, and not entirely complete.

So far, so good ......

Can any of you add more "feathers" in Albert's cap ??