The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 07-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady1991
Paca...you used an idiom in one of your posts "purchased [it] for an apple and an egg." What is the French phrase? Is it a French idiom...I love it...can you send me the translation? Merci.
Actually it is from northern German (hence the spelling of Apfel with double pp) and means for almost nothing. (Fuer'n Appel und 'n Ei)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ---, Iceland
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
My personal oppinion is that the old machine are used on purpose to cause damage to the old buildings, because in other parts of Monaco, the new ones were used - close to the hermitage hotel and the heart and lung clinique as they were constructing the new sports clinic).
Surely the buildings are strong enough to withstand some vibration. I would think that they wouldn't cheat on the amount of steel in wealthy Monaco, unlike in other parts of the world.

Why do you think they would want to destroy the buildings? Are they not tall enough or too old and ugly, or just too ugly (or do they wish that the old people would crash with them (joke))?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Surely the buildings are strong enough to withstand some vibration. I would think that they wouldn't cheat on the amount of steel in wealthy Monaco, unlike in other parts of the world.

Why do you think they would want to destroy the buildings? Are they not tall enough or too old and ugly, or just too ugly (or do they wish that the old people would crash with them (joke))?
Unfortunetely these buildings were not constructed to withstand constant vibrations (like permanent minor earthquakes). The are turn of the century buildings, thus over a hundred years old. NOt much steel in those. The simple reason why anyone would be interested in their disappearance is that they are standing on precious grounds. In place of those old buildings you can build bigger buildings which will make more money. Some of the buildings are not looked after as well as they could be, so their value isn't as high as in other places. Tearing down an old slightly shabby building and building a new luxury building to make heaps of money, I'm afraid the realestate guys would support it. Talk to any realestate adency, big or small - and you have hundreds to chose from, they all complain about not having enough objects to rent or sell.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ---, Iceland
Posts: 203
Wouldn't they pay the people who live there now compensation for the loss of their homes, enabling them to purchase in the new buildings. Or is that too much to ask?

Here we build the old folks homes next to highways. Everyone knows how long it takes the oldies to cross a big road so we manage to keep their number relatively low this way. They are all nearly deaf anyway so they don't hear the noise from outside, and blind so they don't see the black dust inside their homes. :( :( Maybe you could sneak this idea to the authorities in Monaco.

But the old population is growing so I think we will have to come up with new ideas. Eliminating the steel from their buildings is a good one. Especially since we have regular earthquakes.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 07-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 252
With regard to the extension:
Most of this will be build on poles and will be above the water. Thus not much actual land will be won, only building space. And the theory is that it is more environmentally friendly. Also the red coral bank west of this extension and the "posidonies" (I haven't the faintest idea what this is. Probably something with fish????. It wasn't in any dictionary.) on the east of it should be preserved. I am worried about that coral (not that I knew they had any in the mediterranean). As far as I know coral is extremely sensitive and can be seriously disturbed by, for example, the smallest change in water flow.
The French article is here:
http://www.batiactu.com/data/2107200...06-170347.html
It's already a few days old. The foreign press is a tiny bit slow on the uptake this week. Must be the heat wave...

G.
__________________
Free Albert !
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 09-01-2006, 02:30 PM
WindsorIII's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tucson, United States
Posts: 406
This looks good for Monaco and PA is following through on his promises to clean up the environment.

Once among worst, Monaco near best on gas emissions
Reuters


Sep 1, 2006 By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

OSLO (Reuters) - Citizens of the tiny Mediterranean principality of Monaco can apparently feel less worried that their speedboats, helicopters and cars are stoking global warming.

From being worst in the class except Spain among about 40 industrial states based on surging greenhouse gas emissions, Monaco has leapt to the ranks of the best after revisions filed to the U.N. Climate Secretariat in Bonn.

Rest of the article here


http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2383247
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 09-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorIII
This looks good for Monaco and PA is following through on his promises to clean up the environment.

Once among worst, Monaco near best on gas emissions
Reuters


Sep 1, 2006 By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

OSLO (Reuters) - Citizens of the tiny Mediterranean principality of Monaco can apparently feel less worried that their speedboats, helicopters and cars are stoking global warming.

From being worst in the class except Spain among about 40 industrial states based on surging greenhouse gas emissions, Monaco has leapt to the ranks of the best after revisions filed to the U.N. Climate Secretariat in Bonn.

Rest of the article here


http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2383247
Isn't that a goal easy enough to reach, though? After all, it isn't as if Monaco has a lot of industry that could pollute the air.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 252
Quote:
Isn't that a goal easy enough to reach, though? After all, it isn't as if Monaco has a lot of industry that could pollute the air.
You forget the infamous rubbish burning facilty.

BTW, I wonder how they (= Monaco) have achieved this.

Edit: Ok, scrap that last question. It's in the article: creative accounting...
__________________
Free Albert !
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ---, Iceland
Posts: 203
Very simple. It states in the article that boats and ships sailing to and from Monaco are now considered International traffic and all fuel for the boats is therefore bought in Italy or France. Same for the cars and helicopters. It sound like they just closed all petrol stations in Monaco.
Quote:
Monaco argued that most boats buying fuel, for instance, were on international voyages mainly to Italy and France so their emissions should not count because guidelines exclude international shipping.
And fuel for helicopters, for instance, was bought in France so should be excluded to avoid double counting. Also, it revised estimates of how much gasoline was used in the principality many workers commute from France and Italy.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 252
Still sounds like creative accounting
__________________
Free Albert !
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine
You forget the infamous rubbish burning facilty.

BTW, I wonder how they (= Monaco) have achieved this.

Edit: Ok, scrap that last question. It's in the article: creative accounting...
Me too, especially since I haven't seen any changes. I still don't see any preparation for the 6000m2 of sunreflectors that have been promissed to be put up. This is a small place so things, once decided could happen very quckly if one was serious about it. All you need is a quoted, then hire the guys to put it in place and start production of solar energy. And with all the wind we had recently, they could maybe even think about using windenergy. Especially since the winds in winter are getting much stronger. these last years. So it might be worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Very simple. It states in the article that boats and ships sailing to and from Monaco are now considered International traffic and all fuel for the boats is therefore bought in Italy or France. Same for the cars and helicopters. It sound like they just closed all petrol stations in Monaco.
That is so ridiculous. That simply doesn't mean that Monaco has suddenly turned green. It actually sounds to me that Monaco only wants to give itself the image of being clean. They still don't do enough to promote public transport, they don't encourage people to use bikes instead of scooters (the could forexample create safer lanes for bikers,i.e. having them use the bus lanes and making sure that people have to respect those special lanes). That would not only be healthy for the environment but also for the obese population.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 252
Paca, I doubt wind energy is something that would work in Monaco. It mostly doesn't work in other countries either. Windturbines are big, noisy and cast shadows. They kill birds as well, according to some. Plus, but this is speculation, the mountains may be in the way. All windturbines I have seen are in more or less desolate places, away from the population. And in flat country. I'll doubt they'll ever put them in densly populated areas.
__________________
Free Albert !
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 09-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *******, France
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine
Paca, I doubt wind energy is something that would work in Monaco. It mostly doesn't work in other countries either. Windturbines are big, noisy and cast shadows. They kill birds as well, according to some. Plus, but this is speculation, the mountains may be in the way. All windturbines I have seen are in more or less desolate places, away from the population. And in flat country. I'll doubt they'll ever put them in densly populated areas.
Space would surely be a problem, unless Albert uses the new land extension for that purpose but I guess the realestate people would personally chase him out of the country. I have seen windturbines used in valleys in Italy, so I doubt that the mountains would pose a problem. Besides we have a lot of wind comming from the sea. I don't know about the noise, but the ones that I walked past were not that loud. If you're worried about noise in MOnaco, the first thing I would get rid of is the continuous fireworks they are having in Larvotto after every concert and event. It sounds in my living room like bombs on Bagdad and you can't talk to anyone while it lasts. The sound is terribly reflected by the buildings so that it is louder in Beausoleil than at the beach. It is a waste of money, wakes people in the middle of the night (sometimes 2 in the morning) and terrifies small children who wake up in the middle of their sleep. I really don't see the point of having those fireworks and think they should be limited to major events (like the fireworks competition) which is actually interesting to watch and at a reasonable hour. I am sure people who live near Larvotto would be very pleased if they could get some relief from the continuous noisepolution they have to suffer during summer especially. (and not only them). There have been demands to the cityhall a few years back but to this point without effect. Argument has been that it serves Monacos economy thus they just have to do with.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ---, Iceland
Posts: 203
Paca, why don't you just energize some of your numerous rivers than run through Monaco????
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
Space would surely be a problem, unless Albert uses the new land extension for that purpose but I guess the realestate people would personally chase him out of the country. I have seen windturbines used in valleys in Italy, so I doubt that the mountains would pose a problem. Besides we have a lot of wind comming from the sea. I don't know about the noise, but the ones that I walked past were not that loud. If you're worried about noise in MOnaco, the first thing I would get rid of is the continuous fireworks they are having in Larvotto after every concert and event. It sounds in my living room like bombs on Bagdad and you can't talk to anyone while it lasts. The sound is terribly reflected by the buildings so that it is louder in Beausoleil than at the beach. It is a waste of money, wakes people in the middle of the night (sometimes 2 in the morning) and terrifies small children who wake up in the middle of their sleep. I really don't see the point of having those fireworks and think they should be limited to major events (like the fireworks competition) which is actually interesting to watch and at a reasonable hour. I am sure people who live near Larvotto would be very pleased if they could get some relief from the continuous noisepolution they have to suffer during summer especially. (and not only them). There have been demands to the cityhall a few years back but to this point without effect. Argument has been that it serves Monacos economy thus they just have to do with.
paca you should run for office in Monaco or at least get a job with someone in the National Council so you can whisper good things in their ears. It seems that the only reflecters Albert is holding up to the Sun are politcal ones. I admit he has worked that game very well including moving the Vatican Xmas concert to Monaco I wonder what he promised your Archbishop?
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 05-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: blablabla, France
Posts: 178
I"m glad... we'll be able to read about non-glamourous life in Monaco!!!
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 05-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: blablabla, France
Posts: 178
there will be five more "stores " on Monaco's harbour 2400m/2...money money glamour dream hum hum...
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 05-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Lakshmi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: *, United States
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilae
there will be five more "stores " on Monaco's harbour 2400m/2...money money glamour dream hum hum...
What do you mean by that?... Do you mean Monaco new land extention?...
__________________
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.''
Eleanor Roosevelt

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: blablabla, France
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi
What do you mean by that?... Do you mean Monaco new land extention?...
no it's not land extention... it's on the harbour.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Felipe's Ex-Girlfriends Lorraine King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family 278 03-18-2015 08:03 AM
Oleg Cassini.....Possibly Prince Albert's REAL Father?? Casira_Azul Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family 65 08-16-2005 10:40 PM
Pavlos And Marie Chantal: Current Events December 2002 - October 2003 Julia Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 76 10-14-2003 09:40 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess charlene outfits princess madeleine princess madeleine hats princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion royal royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises