The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian
I'm sure Prince Albert meant what he said and that he's doing everything to achieve thngs - but step by step.
...I live in Germany - Germany is a geat country and I love it . but it is lightyears away from being perfect - as is France, Italy, Britain, the States etc. ...
Due to its tiny size Monaco is kind of priviliged and it always was - but people shouldn't expect it to be ideally perfect by nature.
Seb, when I was at the palace place last year, I believed every word of what he said and that it was his convictions. UNfortunetely over the last year he seems to have gotten lost on his way a little. HE went off with agood start, but after xmas he didn't seem to be that interested anymore and even seemed to step back on some things he had said before. Obviously being absent for the most part of this year, doesn't really help to push issues. But maybe he also didn't find the support he thought he might get. I am aware that there are old structures that need to be changed and that takes time. But there are also a lot of people here willing to work a long the lines of his speech, but with all the recent goings on and the lack of action from the government, I think he needs to do sth to get people motivated again. It is not enough to give one great speech and then wait for what will happen. You need to continuously push people, a little bit every day. See what they are willing to do and then get them interested in a goal a bit further. It is hard work and it takes time, but I am sure it can be very gratiging as well. ANd I truely wish that PA would keep motivating people, especially young people.

As to other countries not being perfect: none of their leaders have written idealism on their banners. BUt people also measure their leaders against their words and, unlike in MC, when they don't get what they have been promissed, they simply elect someone different. In Monaco you don't have that choice. Which is good, when you have a good leader, but can be desastrous, when he is not. Time will tell which category PA belongs to, and I will keep track of his doings.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Royal Highness

True - so give it some time and try to see it all in Jack Johnsons's way every now and then .

Old 06-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Gentry

Given recent revelations, it appears that he may have been too deeply distracted to get much done through this first half of the year. I think he needs to stay home more - less travel, more daily involvement in Monaco - could help on many levels.

Perhaps in his speech last year he set the bar to high for himself. I would like to see a copy of his speech at Amherst last weekend. Anyone see it yet?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Nobility

OK all this talk about digging a little deeper into the facts,

I’ve done some investigating on my own. While I wholeheartedly agree with Paca that PA should stay home more and focus on his country and what he has promised to his people last July, to be fair I also agree with Sebastian who says he is following through on some of the things he talked about in his speech.

Here are just a few examples of sites I found which show his commitment to his word in projects completed or underway. I’ve put an exerpt from his speech by each promise.

“On the occasion of the 100 year celebration of the polar expeditions of my great great grandfather, Prince Albert I, this month I will accompany experts from W.W.F., the Oceanographic Museum and "A.I.E.A." on an exploratory mission to Spitzberg

Lessons will be drawn from our observations which should help us to better understand the reality of the climatic changes and their consequences."

http://www.monaco.arctic-expedition.mc/wwwpolar.nsf

http://www.999today.com/environment/news/story/32

We all followed this his trip and these boards and they accomplished what they set out to do.

“We must encourage exceptional education and develop existing networks so that Monaco becomes one of the world leaders on the financial markets.

I will encourage researchers, universities, entrepreneurs and , why not, American, Asian and European investors to set up business in our country.”

http://education.independent.co.uk/b...icle339500.ece

http://www.monaco.edu

PA is supporting education in his country. His University just received their AMBA accreditiation, which is a big step (this is the same accreditation given to London Business School) From what I read the school has overcome many obstacles but over the past few years under a new President and PA’s support is developing into a very respectable institution.

“Even if the productions of the mind are essential, the development of physical activities is, in my view, just as important. Monaco is therefore also, and my role in this matter is a secret for no one, one of the Mecca's of contemporary sport. Sport is today indispensable to and in dissociable from the progress of any country. I am particularly and personally implicated in this activity.

We are also going to open a new centre for sport medicine: l'IMSS, l'Institut Monégasque des Sciences du Sport.”

Prince Albert is bringing an Olympic Training Center to his country. The association of the Olympic rings is a very respectable image to bring to Monaco and I would assume will also be a big inspiration to young people. It stands for something very good in this world. In this London article he also talks of his Insititue of Sports Medicine Monegasque, which could bring international Sports Medicine and Sports science interest to Monaco.

http://www.ditc.us/nyprincealbert102605.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...08/ixcoms.html

“This centre is a reflection of our determination to become a reference in this field in the same way as for those other health sectors in which we are already established, in particular in the Cardio–Thoracic centre and the Princess Grace hospital centre.”

I can’t find an article but I have read that this project is underway.

I also intend to ensure that Monaco ratifies the Kyoto Protocol as soon as possible.

http://www.un.int/monaco/documents/0...al_English.htm

I am the first to admit he needs to clean up his personal paparazzi driven life and focus on these things above and the many other programs he may have in the works. Heaven knows the people there need a leader they are proud of.

We’ll see in time if he follows through, but at least he appears to be trying to head in the right direction….

It just may not be visible because all we read about is his irresponsible personal life, hopefully this latest indicent will shake him enough to wake up and see how much potential he has in being a leader.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Courtier

But his actions need to be more than the grand gesture. It's the little things that count. For example, if you sign the Kyoto Protocol, clean up the environmental issues in your own nation first. If education in business and medicine is a priority, don't just make fixes on the university level in hopes of attracting foreign students, do it on the local level as well so that standards are constantly being raised across the board for the citizens of your country as well - and to do that means making sure that there is a thriving middle class.

Yeah, this criticism from an American -- and these are the exact same issues we can't get any leadership on either.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
originally posted by Pinkylady1991
But his actions need to be more than the grand gesture. It's the little things that count. For example, if you sign the Kyoto Protocol, clean up the environmental issues in your own nation first. If education in business and medicine is a priority, don't just make fixes on the university level in hopes of attracting foreign students, do it on the local level as well so that standards are constantly being raised across the board for the citizens of your country as well - and to do that means making sure that there is a thriving middle class.

Yeah, this criticism from an American -- and these are the exact same issues we can't get any leadership on either.
Very Good points Pinky.

I was trying to point out that PA is at least trying to stay true to the words of his inaugural speech.

I guess we will see if he finishes what he started.

Like Sebastian said.... "step by step"
Old 06-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Nobility

A journalist for a Monaco magazine is going to the European Council to complain about freedom of the press in Monaco, or lack of.

Apparently he claims he was given no reason for being fired but says it was for critizing PA and other situations in Monaco in the magazine.

PA called for greater transparency, it will be interesting to see how this is handled.

Anyone know about the Freedom of Press issues in Monaco?

http://www.la-croix.com/afp.static/p...1.dp20v7tf.htm

Le syndicat des journalistes monégasques a également critiqué dans un communiqué le licenciement sans motif de M. Laurens, "à l'heure où la principauté fait son entrée au Conseil de l'Europe" et a adopté pour cela une nouvelle loi sur la liberté de la presse.
L'USM entend d'ailleurs porter "cette atteinte à la liberté de la presse" à la connaissance de la commission de suivi de l'assemblée parlementaire du Conseil de l¹Europe, en visite à partir du 14 juin en principauté.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Nobility

Can the palace sensor anything that is written in Monaco or is there freedom of the press like there is in the US? Anyone know?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Nobility

Follow up:
here is part of the english translation from today's
I've posted the French link below.

"One month before the celebration, July 12, of the first birthday of its speech of advent, promising to make of Monaco "a model country", the prince Albert II is confronted with a sensitive file, with the day before of the inspection, as from Wednesday June 14, of the commission of follow-up of the parliamentary assembly of the Council of Europe, where Monaco required to enter. Didier Laurens, 47 years, editor of Monaco Hebdo, first weekly magazine on the Rock, was laid off at the end of May by the owner of the title, the real contractor Antonio Caroli. This one made play article 6 of the law the labour Monegasque, which authorizes the dismissal of an employee without it being justified."

http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,...?xtor=RSS-3236

Paca, can you or anyone else shed some light on the issues here. It seems a little archaic that this would even be an issue these days.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Serene Highness

Well, apparently the laws with regards to the press have not been changed yet. I sort of remember that already Rainier was starting to change bits and pieces, but nothing major. I know that the journalists were expecting major changes, but rumours spread much faster in Monaco then new laws. seeing that the owner of the paper is a realestate guy, I suppose that his interests do not lie within the freedom of the press, but instead of using the press. He might have found it convenient to have a journalist who would criticize Monaco and its government, so he could put some pressure on them for his own purposes (to keep enlarging the territory which PA in the very beginning said he did not really want to pursue, but from which hehas now retracted). I am speculating here, but it is not unheard of using the press this way. We don't need to go further then 50km from Monaco to the east and we can see how Berlusconi has used his media empire for his political purposes and vice versa.

They say in the article, that PA has nothing to do with this and that might even be true to a certain degree. The paper criticized one of the most influencial people in the government (and in Monaco, his wife runs the Grimaldi Forum, one of Monacos flagship to attract business tourists). I am sure there was a lot of goings on behind the scenes that we will never know about. Interesting though that the concerned person has not spoken out and not contested in any way.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
originally posted by Paca
Well, apparently the laws with regards to the press have not been changed yet. I sort of remember that already Rainier was starting to change bits and pieces, but nothing major. I know that the journalists were expecting major changes, but rumours spread much faster in Monaco then new laws. seeing that the owner of the paper is a realestate guy, I suppose that his interests do not lie within the freedom of the press, but instead of using the press. He might have found it convenient to have a journalist who would criticize Monaco and its government, so he could put some pressure on them for his own purposes (to keep enlarging the territory which PA in the very beginning said he did not really want to pursue, but from which hehas now retracted). I am speculating here, but it is not unheard of using the press this way. We don't need to go further then 50km from Monaco to the east and we can see how Berlusconi has used his media empire for his political purposes and vice versa.

They say in the article, that PA has nothing to do with this and that might even be true to a certain degree. The paper criticized one of the most influencial people in the government (and in Monaco, his wife runs the Grimaldi Forum, one of Monacos flagship to attract business tourists). I am sure there was a lot of goings on behind the scenes that we will never know about. Interesting though that the concerned person has not spoken out and not contested in any way.
I guess Monaco needs to protect itself from this type of blackmail from the press. I would like to hear Creative Mind's take on this, since she is so involved in Media.

What kind of changes in the laws with regards to the press were the journalists there expecting?

I would be curious to know who was the most influential man in the Monaco government that was critizied? I guess he shouldn't have messed with him.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy

Short of space, Monaco wants to expand into sea

Short of space, Monaco wants to expand into sea

"The stakes are very high. It is about preparing our principality's future by solving the current shortage of real-estate space and spaces devoted to the public," the country's ruler, Prince Albert, said in the text of a speech delivered last week.

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/new...archived=False
Old 07-26-2006, 03:28 AM
Courtier

I thought PAlbert was against reclaiming more of the sea in favor of saving the ecological life that habitats the area?

Guess money wins out. More people to create more income.

Ann
Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suonymona
I thought PAlbert was against reclaiming more of the sea in favor of saving the ecological life that habitats the area?

Guess money wins out. More people to create more income.

Ann
Yes that's what he said in an interview between march and July last year. But by july the realeastate and building tycoons already got the better of him and made clear what they wanted. He has now decided where there should be construction and that it has to be with respect to the under sea protected area (how that is going to happen when you have construction going on i beyond me - the mere process will disturb the environment and not only the sousmarin, but people around will be noise poluted for years to come - let's just hope that their buildings are more stable then those in La condamine where people have to live with constant vibrations in their appartments, furniture breaking etc. due to the construction - but hey they are mainly old people and poor, why should the Pastors make an effort to relocate them if they can make millions and millions by building new appartments, besides if those old houses become unlivable due to ongoing construction, they will have to be pulled down by another pastor company and rebuild by another relative of the big pastor family, bigger and more expensive of course and those old people will be put into cap fleuri where they can watch another building go to bits around them - but who cares as long as the pastor family makes money? Funny how fast they can build all those other buildings, but the one to relocate the people from cap fleuri to adapt it to livable standars has not even been started yet - although the grounds have been bought quite a while back - from the pastors of course who had bought it for an apple and an egg from the gouvernment just to sell it to them for sth like 64 millions Euro - give or take)
Old 07-26-2006, 06:46 AM
Courtier

Can you explain the pastor family system a bit more clearly paca?

Its sounds like Albert has finally hit a clunker with his Green Prince routine.

Ann
Old 07-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Aristocracy

Paca, do you really have there unsteady condomines with vibrations because of bad construction? In Monaco?! Wow, I could not expect it in such place
In my city ten-twentyfive-storey houses may suffer only after very serious eartquakes, as a rule small earthquakes do not damage our buildings and there is not any vibration.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMarine
Paca, do you really have there unsteady condomines with vibrations because of bad construction? In Monaco?! Wow, I could not expect it in such place
In my city ten-twentyfive-storey houses may suffer only after very serious eartquakes, as a rule small earthquakes do not damage our buildings and there is not any vibration.
La condamine is the part of Monaco close to the port. There is lots of construction going on, heavy trucks on the roads all day long (heaps of congestion and polution as well btw) and there are a lot of old buildings there that are not build to be under constant "stress" due to at least 12 hours of construction. Apparently there are ways to cause less vibrations and noise, but they weren't used there (the machines are more expensive ad they are not oblidged by law to do so. My personal oppinion is that the old machine are used on purpose to cause damage to the old buildings, because in other parts of Monaco, the new ones were used - close to the hermitage hotel and the heart and lung clinique as they were constructing the new sports clinic).
Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suonymona
Can you explain the pastor family system a bit more clearly paca?

Its sounds like Albert has finally hit a clunker with his Green Prince routine.

Ann
The pastors are one of the powerful families in Monaco. They own a realestate empire, a construction company(those bear their name) but also lots of other business and art galleries. Micel Pastor head the AS Monaco and the business chamber, thus travels with ALbert to all place that he thinks are interesting to do business with (i.e recently in Russia ans Slovenia). To my knowledge the Pastors hold no politically important position, but they don't need to, since nothing in Monaco happens without them involved (btw Rainiers doctor was a pastor too, he heads the hospitals administrative council). There are people here that say, that the Pastors don't care about who lives in the palace, because they consider themselves more important and powerful then the GRimaldis. There is of course still the rumours about Stefanos death around, who apperently wanted to take power away from the Pastors and having the approval of Rainier. And I don't remember seeing Caro particularly friendly with the PAstors. The most prominent Pastor is Michel.

Here is a link to his empire
http://www.groupe-michel-pastor.com/
http://www.lesechos.fr/info/rew_inter/200065978.htm
Old 07-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Courtier

They consider themselves more important and powerfull then the Grimaldis,
now the question is: ARE they more important and powerfull then the Grimaldis?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula**
They consider themselves more important and powerfull then the Grimaldis,
now the question is: ARE they more important and powerfull then the Grimaldis?
The last time someone considered themselves mre important and powerful than the Grimaldis was Ari Onassis; and while there was a show down we know how that ended. It just may be a matter of time before the Pastors go one step too far.

Paca...you used an idiom in one of your posts "purchased [it] for an apple and an egg." What is the French phrase? Is it a French idiom...I love it...can you send me the translation? Merci.