Prince Albert's achievements

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there are a lot of strikes in Monaco....

It hard on Head of State if he do a good job it not a enough. The only reason Pr. Albert is getting bad criticism is because Charlene and that not fair.

It hard on Head of State if he do a good job it not a enough. The only reason Pr. Albert is getting bad criticism is because Charlene and that not fair.
That is not true. Charlene is just the tiniest bit of the criticism against him. No one would criticise him the way it is done now, if he was doing a good job. But since he isn't, people hope that at least if he choses a capable wife she could help him out and make things a little better. But with Charlene they don't see it. I think that some people are hoping that he would marry someone who woud be able to do the job for him, raise some decent children and leave him to the representative duties where he reads a prewritten speech and practicing it all day long would be the most important thing he'd do. Unfortunetely nowadays, incapable princes tend to chose incapable wives as marriages are no longer arranged to make allies or even out the prospective rulers misgivings.

It's hard to find a good wife if people is watching your every mood.

In a recent interview, Albert said he has Grace's personality, Caroline has Rainier's and Steph is a mix of both parents...I thought it was interesting in light of who got the "throne". MAybe Albert would have made a good husband for a Queen...

It's hard to find a good wife if people is watching your every mood.
It is generally hard to find a good partner, but honestly it is a little easy to blame Alberts poor judgement on the public. It worked well enough for his father or other royals of more importance and public coverage. Look at the Queen, Juan Carlos etc. They found themselves capable partners. Albert has pretty much the same dating pattern as Prince Andrew. They are both playboys and they both take after the easy prey that is more recognized for its physical then its intellectual achievemnent. Fergie was for Prince Andrew probably the best quality catch he had. Or take Prince Frederic, another playboy who had his mother relieved when he actually turned up with Mary in tow. The first one that could actually be made presentable of his girlfriends.

I think Albert has shown bad judgement all throughout his youth and he hasn't learned his lesson yet. The only difference is that before he had Rainier to look after him and ensure that he wasn't being completely foolish by marrying these women. Why Rainier was so fearful of Albert entering into a desastrous marriage I don't know. Maybe it would have been good for him to have a shortlived one to get it out of his system and be smarter next time. Like Caro with Stefano after Junot. But maybe, being himself a child of divorced parents, he thought he could prevent his prospective grandchildren from that fate.

On a different note for those interested in daily life in Monaco, there is a letter of the mother of a handicaped child in the paper, telling how her child was asked one day to the next without reasons and giving the parents a chance to react and get themselves organized, to please no longer send their child to school as it was unwanted. The story she tells shows a rather heartless picture of Monaco and what really happens here. You see the princely family attend charity dinners have their picture taken, but when it comes to those at their doorstep, they simply lift their feet and walk over them. None of them came to the support of this child and spared him the distress of being unwanted. And when you consider that the psychological aspect can play a major role with handicapped children and how necessary the social contact is for these children... and how to explain to a child that the same school that didn't want it a year ago is now ready to accept it. How to trust? For how long? What has changed? the child is still handicapped ... Why couldn't the school try to make things possible before, even if it means a little hassle for the others? It is a good lesson to learn and probably of more value to teach the other healthy children that there is someone to be looked after who needs to be accepted as equal. It will help them to grow into better adults. And it is a good lesson to the adults too, who often enough prefer to turn their heads istead of lending a helping hand.

It is in situations like this were I'd expect the members of the family to show themselves, be active, make things happen and at least lend moral support. Monaco isn't that big and there aren't that many handicapped people around, so it wouldn't be too difficult to find out who they are and ask them drectly about their problems and how they could be helped. Didn't Albert nominate someone as responsible for the handicapped when he first took office? What was this guy doing all the time? twiddling his thumbs?

That is not true. Charlene is just the tiniest bit of the criticism against him. No one would criticise him the way it is done now, if he was doing a good job. But since he isn't, people hope that at least if he choses a capable wife she could help him out and make things a little better. But with Charlene they don't see it. I think that some people are hoping that he would marry someone who woud be able to do the job for him, raise some decent children and leave him to the representative duties where he reads a prewritten speech and practicing it all day long would be the most important thing he'd do. Unfortunetely nowadays, incapable princes tend to chose incapable wives as marriages are no longer arranged to make allies or even out the prospective rulers misgivings.
Paca, Goody and others: don't forget the Charlene situation in itself is crazy and in my book offending enough. Charlene isn't kept hidden or out of the spotlights. On the contrary, she is shown like a show dog. She doesn't have any status at all, she isn't even called a date or a girlfriend, let alone a fiancée or wife. But she does get treated like one. Perpetually on Albert's side, more magazine attention that Albert, Caroline and Stéphanie together, her showing up at events where she has, IMO, not really any reason to be, the list is endless. That, more than her perceived unsuitability and more than the perceived lack of affection between her and Albert, is what bothers me most. It's so offensive. (JMO) As if Clinton took Monica to a state visit with queen Elisabeth and prince Philip or something. :bang:

Paca, Goody and others: don't forget the Charlene situation in itself is crazy and in my book offending enough. Charlene isn't kept hidden or out of the spotlights. On the contrary, she is shown like a show dog. She doesn't have any status at all, she isn't even called a date or a girlfriend, let alone a fiancée or wife. But she does get treated like one. Perpetually on Albert's side, more magazine attention that Albert, Caroline and Stéphanie together, her showing up at events where she has, IMO, not really any reason to be, the list is endless. That, more than her perceived unsuitability and more than the perceived lack of affection between her and Albert, is what bothers me most. It's so offensive. (JMO) As if Clinton took Monica to a state visit with queen Elisabeth and prince Philip or something. :bang:

Ghislaine. Your comments, for me, is the essence of the whole "relationship" picture. (And I hate like heck getting into this ad nauseam) But according to the behaviors you mention, its put out there for you to possibly read favorably without a commited statement.

Therefore, however, it turns out there you are. It seemingly is designed to drive folks like the posters here crazy for going on two years now. Well, at least never a dull moment. What an exciting life. Was mother Grace's personality that mercurial and provacative?

Not to mention the criticism on his reaction to criticism....like suing people arround all the time....And his green spirit isn't that green really...Do you remember when he visited a NP in Slovenia or something of the sort? It raised a storm because he travelled there with a helicopter and he should have and could have walked...It was later explained and the reasons given were lack of time and security...

I think Albert get criticism most of the time even when he trying to do good that make him angry.

Actually, I don't recall any other royal doing this with a girlfriend or friend as she has recently been described. I could be wrong but I believe the rest were engaged before they brought their girlfriends to public events in a public way. They may have been at events but not obviously with their princes or princesses. I should clarify my statement to say formal functions or official events. Not sporting events.

Official Companion?

Hi Ghislane,
Isn't CW dubbed the 'official companion" by some English newspaper of Pa?I have to agree with all that you have so articulately put here but why do I still get that feeling thatperhaps we ain't seen nothing yet.?[double entendre meant]

Last edited:
Actually, I don't recall any other royal doing this with a girlfriend or friend as she has recently been described. I could be wrong but I believe the rest were engaged before they brought their girlfriends to public events in a public way. They may have been at events but not obviously with their princes or princesses. I should clarify my statement to say formal functions or official events. Not sporting events.
You are correct about this hibou that other royals were not as progressive as pa about taking their official companions out and about without a formal betrothal .
Especially to all these sporting events........
I have to wonder who is chasing who in this romance ? Is CW who lives is Sa chasing Pa who is in Monaco or is Pa chasing Cw who is in Sa & Monaco respectively?I wonder if it matters?Confusing dynamics......

I've moved a conversation here from the Prince Albert current events thread; it was easier to move the whole thing here than try to split it between this thread and the Albert and Charlene relationship thread. However, before this discussion takes off again in the direction of the Albert-Charlene relationship, please note that that topic belongs in the Albert and Charlene relationship thread, not here.

Elspeth

Monaco moderator

It seems that th palace is on a major repair Alberts image at home route. There is a huge article about him mixing with the big guns in todays paper, praising how many heads of state he has met etc etc. The main source for the article is of course Mme Stahl, who is responsible for his image. So obviously she isn't going to say that he used his travels also to keep his lover interested by offering impressive outings and that at home he hasn't been doing anything particularly noticeable so that there he faces a major crisis with people bickering over the power vacuum he has left at home. ANd it seems that they will have plenty of occasion to continue as ALbert does not seem to have any intention to affront the problem and will continue his flight from Monaco to the US end of September and after that all over Europe. I suppose in 2008 he will come back from one of his travels and find the winner of the bickering seated on his throne welcoming him back, giving him new travelling assignments. Someone seems incapable to learn his lesson.

It seems that th palace is on a major repair Alberts image at home route. There is a huge article about him mixing with the big guns in todays paper, praising how many heads of state he has met etc etc. The main source for the article is of course Mme Stahl, who is responsible for his image. So obviously she isn't going to say that he used his travels also to keep his lover interested by offering impressive outings and that at home he hasn't been doing anything particularly noticeable so that there he faces a major crisis with people bickering over the power vacuum he has left at home. ANd it seems that they will have plenty of occasion to continue as ALbert does not seem to have any intention to affront the problem and will continue his flight from Monaco to the US end of September and after that all over Europe. I suppose in 2008 he will come back from one of his travels and find the winner of the bickering seated on his throne welcoming him back, giving him new travelling assignments. Someone seems incapable to learn his lesson.
i read article, I didn't want to say anything about that, because the only thing I wanted to say is "Someone seems incapable to learn his lesson "and struggle for power will go on... i guess that some guys are trying to do their best for Monaco and sometimes the only thing they can do is watching fight, and waiting for "the return".

Last edited:
Before Albert can help Monaco he have to help himself first. Get his life in order.

Before Albert can help Monaco he have to help himself first. Get his life in order.
He had 50 years almost of getting his life in order. HE was an underachiever there and will be likewise as head of state if he doesn't wake up soon. But it looks like he doesn't have any intention of doing so. HE thinks that his PR can do that for him. Unfortunetely PR isn't everything. Only people without substance need PR to deflect from their incapability. Those who talk about what they are doing the most are usually the ones that are doing the least. At least in my experience.

On another note: todays paper talks about a support webpage for the organist. Apparently about 300 people have signed a petition for him to get his job back, as he has been fired before even found guilty. (If I am not mistaken that is unlawful even in Monaco, as that would mean that you are being considered guilty before the verdict, so he should actually sue his employer for unlawful act). The paper isn't sure whether this is a joke or not, as the site is an organists site and the people there are not Monegasque. Interesting as it seems that the Monaco matin has no problem with non Chinese criticism of Chinas huma right practice etc. The journalist forgot obviously that in countries that punish their critics by silencing them with threatening their existence, it is highly unlikely that you will find open support. If Monegasques would openly support the poor organist, they do indeed risk disadvantage in their daily lifes. And not only for them, also for their families. Monaco is small, after all and there are many ways of making things difficult for people. People are not willing to do so. There is no need to torture people here, Monaco has other ways. I am surprised that Mandela (maeline@nelsonmandela.org) actually sits at the same table with Albert this weekend, when Albert in essence does not share the same values. I wonder what answer you would get. For those interested in the site L'Hydraule

All posts regarding Albert, Mr Giacone and the red nose have been moved to the Red Nose Debate thread. Happy posting!

Mandy
Monaco Moderator

I think we are forgetting PA's most recent major achievement - that of acquiring a life partner, in the shape of Charlene Wittstock.

Long overdue as it may be, he has finally put in place this vital piece of the Monaco jigsaw - a Princess.

From a Monaco which was somewhat tarnished by rumours of money laundering and alleged dodgy dealings with oligarchs, PA, with the help of his team, has drawn a line under most of these, and he has turned the Principality from an economic pariah state into a - largely - respectable and respected mini-state.

PA has also managed to play the "environment" card by launching his own environmental charity, the "Fondation Prince Albert II de Monaco" (FPA). In addition, he has become part of a world-wide network of environmental scientists and other practitioners in this field.

He has also created / extended the network of ambassadorial and consular relationships, begun by his father, and not entirely complete.

So far, so good ......

Can any of you add more "feathers" in Albert's cap ??

Albert knows what it means to be a lonely bachelor.
He still doesn't know what it means to be a lonely man with ring on his finger.

While he can change the first situation every second he will be trapped for lifetime if he doesn't have the balls to say "no" one time.

He has nothing to gain but everything to loose right now I think.
To understand that would be an achivement.

No one is trapped for a life time. Besides who are you to say what will be good or not good for him?

Let's stay on topic.

This thread has nothing to do with Albert's personal life.

I think we are forgetting PA's most recent major achievement - that of acquiring a life partner, in the shape of Charlene Wittstock.

Long overdue as it may be, he has finally put in place this vital piece of the Monaco jigsaw - a Princess.

From a Monaco which was somewhat tarnished by rumours of money laundering and alleged dodgy dealings with oligarchs, PA, with the help of his team, has drawn a line under most of these, and he has turned the Principality from an economic pariah state into a - largely - respectable and respected mini-state.

PA has also managed to play the "environment" card by launching his own environmental charity, the "Fondation Prince Albert II de Monaco" (FPA). In addition, he has become part of a world-wide network of environmental scientists and other practitioners in this field.

He has also created / extended the network of ambassadorial and consular relationships, begun by his father, and not entirely complete.

So far, so good ......

Can any of you add more "feathers" in Albert's cap ??

I agree, financial reforms, international recognition on the enviromental front, expansion and increase in level of diplomatic relations.....seems pretty good for a guy who has been on the throne for just 6 years. Monaco seems to be going quite nicely under his reign. Later this year the prinicpality can look forward to a new Princess Consort and hopefully in a year or so a new heir to the throne.

Albert had some achievements at the environmental and diplomatical level.

But the economical situation of Monaco is far from being good: these days budget cuts had been announced, there were strikes in the Casino, SMB is struggling no sign of recovery - the economic boom Charlene and the wedding should bring turned out quite a flop. A 7 Mio Euro flop.

Environmental protection: Albert did remarkable work in that field. And still does.
However: While he was not engaged this was noticable in the media.
After the engagement media are fucused on "CW looks like Grace!" and "Charlene Wittstock want's to modernize Monaco opening Starbucks shops and Manolo Blahnik shoe stores!"
... while Albert intelligently stated to euronews: "We have to stop consumerism." Nobody noticed? Nobody remembers?
Exactly that's what I want to say: Albert will have less media coverage and less credibility as "Green Prince" after Monaco's new flagship declared she want's to modernize the principality by OPENING MORE SHOPS:bang:
And this will go on as long as CW is around and associated with him.

There was a image campain planned and prepared for Monaco before CW was announced Monaco's new Flagship. A campain that highlighted the assets of MONACO: Principauté de Monaco

This image campain had good chances to bring positive impact for Monaco. But who knows the website and who knows about the campain?

This image campain was "highjacked" by some adivsors to Albert to promote Charlene Wittstock and bound her to the image of Monaco.:bang:

Now the image that is promoted is:
Not "Monaco a place for people with brain power and education":
Charlene Wittstock is a high school drop out and THE ONLY figure media highlight after the engagement. She lived five years in Monaco and did not finish school or get at least a bachelor title. (With bachelor I don't mean Albert.) Monaco a place for studied people :ROFLMAO: Nobody believes as long as CW is First Lady.

Not "Monaco as melting pot of cultures and languages": CW cried to TATLER that people in Monaco don't understand her S.A. humor - BRAVO:bang:

Not "Monaco as place of history that want's to beware local culture":
CW being asked what will be the first thing she does after becoming Princess of Monaco:
"I wan't to dicsover France!!!" (In broken French- the local language!) :bang::bang:

Not "Monaco as melting pot of cultures and languages":
CW didn't manage to learn French IN FIVE YEARS and complains about locals IN PUBLIC.

Monaco has assets and Albert is an intelligent man. The team that prepared the first image campain's contend did good work. There was chance to have success.

BUT IT DIDN'T AND WON'T WORK but only backfire...
BECAUSE Charlene Witstock is the complete opposite of Monaco's original image campain!

It's like a man who has something to say to the world (Albert) enteres the stage (Monaco) to held a brilliant speech.
And shortly before he switches on the mikrophone someone puts him a red clown nose on (CW).

Everything he says and does will be for nothing. The best ideas, the best projects, the best campain.

DE-COUPLE Monaco and Charlene Wittstock! She is not the saviour but the ICEBERG Monaco will hit July 2.

THAT would be an achivment. Albert started so well but then came CW...

Last edited:
Margarita, you have made several important points, especially about the environment and the overall image of Monaco.

Sadly, many people who follow the Monaco Saga, aren't necessarily interested in PA's "green" credentials, and especially not in consulates, embassies or state visits.

They tend to be interested in juicy tidbits of gossip and speculation - remember how people were positively salivating when PA had to out his illegitimate children ??

People like you and I may read this kind of stuff, but it pales into insignificance compared with the overall marvel and microcosmos that is Monaco !!

MargaritaII, how can you say Monaco's economy is in bad shape? They have the highest gross national income per person in the world; around $200,000 per person compared to about $40,000 per person in the US. I am guessing Russia is much lower than the US. They have had zero unemployment for decades. More French people work in Monaco than Monaco has residents. They have run yearly budget deficits the last 3 or 4 years but it makes sense to spend money updating infrastucture while tourism is down. Unlike most countries in the world they have a National Surplus, not a deficit. That's what intrigues me about Monaco. They have basically no assets and are only 2 square kilometers but have been able to outperform everyone else on a per capita basis. Oh and don't forget they have a 99% literacy rate, universal health care, world class performing arts and world class sports. Their people live very well.

And those striking croupiers are the highest paid on the Riviera.

Yes, I saw that too. It just means they take their responsibilities seriously. That's why thay don't have the problems of other countries. They use common sense.

So.... to come back to the topic of this thread .... would you say that PA has achieved anything of value - lasting or otherwise ?

Back
Top Bottom