Prince Albert's achievements

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
originally posted by Paca
Well, apparently the laws with regards to the press have not been changed yet. I sort of remember that already Rainier was starting to change bits and pieces, but nothing major. I know that the journalists were expecting major changes, but rumours spread much faster in Monaco then new laws. seeing that the owner of the paper is a realestate guy, I suppose that his interests do not lie within the freedom of the press, but instead of using the press. He might have found it convenient to have a journalist who would criticize Monaco and its government, so he could put some pressure on them for his own purposes (to keep enlarging the territory which PA in the very beginning said he did not really want to pursue, but from which hehas now retracted). I am speculating here, but it is not unheard of using the press this way. We don't need to go further then 50km from Monaco to the east and we can see how Berlusconi has used his media empire for his political purposes and vice versa.

They say in the article, that PA has nothing to do with this and that might even be true to a certain degree. The paper criticized one of the most influencial people in the government (and in Monaco, his wife runs the Grimaldi Forum, one of Monacos flagship to attract business tourists). I am sure there was a lot of goings on behind the scenes that we will never know about. Interesting though that the concerned person has not spoken out and not contested in any way.

I guess Monaco needs to protect itself from this type of blackmail from the press. I would like to hear Creative Mind's take on this, since she is so involved in Media.

What kind of changes in the laws with regards to the press were the journalists there expecting?

I would be curious to know who was the most influential man in the Monaco government that was critizied? I guess he shouldn't have messed with him.

I thought PAlbert was against reclaiming more of the sea in favor of saving the ecological life that habitats the area?

Guess money wins out. More people to create more income.

Ann

Suonymona said:
I thought PAlbert was against reclaiming more of the sea in favor of saving the ecological life that habitats the area?

Guess money wins out. More people to create more income.

Ann
Yes that's what he said in an interview between march and July last year. But by july the realeastate and building tycoons already got the better of him and made clear what they wanted. He has now decided where there should be construction and that it has to be with respect to the under sea protected area (how that is going to happen when you have construction going on i beyond me - the mere process will disturb the environment and not only the sousmarin, but people around will be noise poluted for years to come - let's just hope that their buildings are more stable then those in La condamine where people have to live with constant vibrations in their appartments, furniture breaking etc. due to the construction - but hey they are mainly old people and poor, why should the Pastors make an effort to relocate them if they can make millions and millions by building new appartments, besides if those old houses become unlivable due to ongoing construction, they will have to be pulled down by another pastor company and rebuild by another relative of the big pastor family, bigger and more expensive of course and those old people will be put into cap fleuri where they can watch another building go to bits around them - but who cares as long as the pastor family makes money? Funny how fast they can build all those other buildings, but the one to relocate the people from cap fleuri to adapt it to livable standars has not even been started yet - although the grounds have been bought quite a while back - from the pastors of course who had bought it for an apple and an egg from the gouvernment just to sell it to them for sth like 64 millions Euro - give or take)

Can you explain the pastor family system a bit more clearly paca?

Its sounds like Albert has finally hit a clunker with his Green Prince routine.

Ann

Paca, do you really have there unsteady condomines with vibrations because of bad construction? In Monaco?! Wow, I could not expect it in such place :confused:
In my city ten-twentyfive-storey houses may suffer only after very serious eartquakes, as a rule small earthquakes do not damage our buildings and there is not any vibration.

AquaMarine said:
Paca, do you really have there unsteady condomines with vibrations because of bad construction? In Monaco?! Wow, I could not expect it in such place :confused:
In my city ten-twentyfive-storey houses may suffer only after very serious eartquakes, as a rule small earthquakes do not damage our buildings and there is not any vibration.
La condamine is the part of Monaco close to the port. There is lots of construction going on, heavy trucks on the roads all day long (heaps of congestion and polution as well btw) and there are a lot of old buildings there that are not build to be under constant "stress" due to at least 12 hours of construction. Apparently there are ways to cause less vibrations and noise, but they weren't used there (the machines are more expensive ad they are not oblidged by law to do so. My personal oppinion is that the old machine are used on purpose to cause damage to the old buildings, because in other parts of Monaco, the new ones were used - close to the hermitage hotel and the heart and lung clinique as they were constructing the new sports clinic).

Suonymona said:
Can you explain the pastor family system a bit more clearly paca?

Its sounds like Albert has finally hit a clunker with his Green Prince routine.

Ann
The pastors are one of the powerful families in Monaco. They own a realestate empire, a construction company(those bear their name) but also lots of other business and art galleries. Micel Pastor head the AS Monaco and the business chamber, thus travels with ALbert to all place that he thinks are interesting to do business with (i.e recently in Russia ans Slovenia). To my knowledge the Pastors hold no politically important position, but they don't need to, since nothing in Monaco happens without them involved (btw Rainiers doctor was a pastor too, he heads the hospitals administrative council). There are people here that say, that the Pastors don't care about who lives in the palace, because they consider themselves more important and powerful then the GRimaldis. There is of course still the rumours about Stefanos death around, who apperently wanted to take power away from the Pastors and having the approval of Rainier. And I don't remember seeing Caro particularly friendly with the PAstors. The most prominent Pastor is Michel.

Here is a link to his empire
http://www.groupe-michel-pastor.com/
http://www.lesechos.fr/info/rew_inter/200065978.htm

They consider themselves more important and powerfull then the Grimaldis,
now the question is: ARE they more important and powerfull then the Grimaldis?

Paula** said:
They consider themselves more important and powerfull then the Grimaldis,
now the question is: ARE they more important and powerfull then the Grimaldis?

The last time someone considered themselves mre important and powerful than the Grimaldis was Ari Onassis; and while there was a show down we know how that ended. It just may be a matter of time before the Pastors go one step too far.

Paca...you used an idiom in one of your posts "purchased [it] for an apple and an egg." What is the French phrase? Is it a French idiom...I love it...can you send me the translation? Merci.

pinklady1991 said:
Paca...you used an idiom in one of your posts "purchased [it] for an apple and an egg." What is the French phrase? Is it a French idiom...I love it...can you send me the translation? Merci.
Actually it is from northern German (hence the spelling of Apfel with double pp) and means for almost nothing. (Fuer'n Appel und 'n Ei)

paca said:
My personal oppinion is that the old machine are used on purpose to cause damage to the old buildings, because in other parts of Monaco, the new ones were used - close to the hermitage hotel and the heart and lung clinique as they were constructing the new sports clinic).

Surely the buildings are strong enough to withstand some vibration. I would think that they wouldn't cheat on the amount of steel in wealthy Monaco, unlike in other parts of the world.

Why do you think they would want to destroy the buildings? Are they not tall enough or too old and ugly, or just too ugly (or do they wish that the old people would crash with them (joke))?

Donna said:
Surely the buildings are strong enough to withstand some vibration. I would think that they wouldn't cheat on the amount of steel in wealthy Monaco, unlike in other parts of the world.

Why do you think they would want to destroy the buildings? Are they not tall enough or too old and ugly, or just too ugly (or do they wish that the old people would crash with them (joke))?
Unfortunetely these buildings were not constructed to withstand constant vibrations (like permanent minor earthquakes). The are turn of the century buildings, thus over a hundred years old. NOt much steel in those. The simple reason why anyone would be interested in their disappearance is that they are standing on precious grounds. In place of those old buildings you can build bigger buildings which will make more money. Some of the buildings are not looked after as well as they could be, so their value isn't as high as in other places. Tearing down an old slightly shabby building and building a new luxury building to make heaps of money, I'm afraid the realestate guys would support it. Talk to any realestate adency, big or small - and you have hundreds to chose from, they all complain about not having enough objects to rent or sell.

Wouldn't they pay the people who live there now compensation for the loss of their homes, enabling them to purchase in the new buildings. Or is that too much to ask?

Here we build the old folks homes next to highways. Everyone knows how long it takes the oldies to cross a big road so we manage to keep their number relatively low this way. They are all nearly deaf anyway so they don't hear the noise from outside, and blind so they don't see the black dust inside their homes. :( :( Maybe you could sneak this idea to the authorities in Monaco.

But the old population is growing so I think we will have to come up with new ideas. Eliminating the steel from their buildings is a good one. Especially since we have regular earthquakes. :rolleyes:

With regard to the extension:
Most of this will be build on poles and will be above the water. Thus not much actual land will be won, only building space. And the theory is that it is more environmentally friendly. Also the red coral bank west of this extension and the "posidonies" (I haven't the faintest idea what this is. Probably something with fish????. It wasn't in any dictionary.) on the east of it should be preserved. I am worried about that coral (not that I knew they had any in the mediterranean). As far as I know coral is extremely sensitive and can be seriously disturbed by, for example, the smallest change in water flow.
The French article is here:
http://www.batiactu.com/data/21072006/21072006-170347.html
It's already a few days old. The foreign press is a tiny bit slow on the uptake this week. Must be the heat wave...

G.

Last edited:
This looks good for Monaco and PA is following through on his promises to clean up the environment.

Once among worst, Monaco near best on gas emissions
feature_txt_filler_rt.gif
Reuters

Sep 1, 2006 — By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

OSLO (Reuters) - Citizens of the tiny Mediterranean principality of Monaco can apparently feel less worried that their speedboats, helicopters and cars are stoking global warming.

From being worst in the class — except Spain — among about 40 industrial states based on surging greenhouse gas emissions, Monaco has leapt to the ranks of the best after revisions filed to the U.N. Climate Secretariat in Bonn.

Rest of the article here

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2383247

WindsorIII said:
This looks good for Monaco and PA is following through on his promises to clean up the environment.

Once among worst, Monaco near best on gas emissions
feature_txt_filler_rt.gif
Reuters

Sep 1, 2006 — By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

OSLO (Reuters) - Citizens of the tiny Mediterranean principality of Monaco can apparently feel less worried that their speedboats, helicopters and cars are stoking global warming.

From being worst in the class — except Spain — among about 40 industrial states based on surging greenhouse gas emissions, Monaco has leapt to the ranks of the best after revisions filed to the U.N. Climate Secretariat in Bonn.

Rest of the article here

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2383247

Isn't that a goal easy enough to reach, though? After all, it isn't as if Monaco has a lot of industry that could pollute the air.

Isn't that a goal easy enough to reach, though? After all, it isn't as if Monaco has a lot of industry that could pollute the air.
You forget the infamous rubbish burning facilty.

BTW, I wonder how they (= Monaco) have achieved this.

Edit: Ok, scrap that last question. It's in the article: creative accounting... :ohmy: :sad:

Last edited:
Very simple. It states in the article that boats and ships sailing to and from Monaco are now considered International traffic and all fuel for the boats is therefore bought in Italy or France. Same for the cars and helicopters. It sound like they just closed all petrol stations in Monaco.
fing22.gif

Monaco argued that most boats buying fuel, for instance, were on international voyages mainly to Italy and France so their emissions should not count because guidelines exclude international shipping.
And fuel for helicopters, for instance, was bought in France so should be excluded to avoid double counting. Also, it revised estimates of how much gasoline was used in the principality — many workers commute from France and Italy.

Ghislaine said:
You forget the infamous rubbish burning facilty.

BTW, I wonder how they (= Monaco) have achieved this.

Edit: Ok, scrap that last question. It's in the article: creative accounting... :ohmy: :sad:
Me too, especially since I haven't seen any changes. I still don't see any preparation for the 6000m2 of sunreflectors that have been promissed to be put up. This is a small place so things, once decided could happen very quckly if one was serious about it. All you need is a quoted, then hire the guys to put it in place and start production of solar energy. And with all the wind we had recently, they could maybe even think about using windenergy. Especially since the winds in winter are getting much stronger. these last years. So it might be worth it.

Donna said:
Very simple. It states in the article that boats and ships sailing to and from Monaco are now considered International traffic and all fuel for the boats is therefore bought in Italy or France. Same for the cars and helicopters. It sound like they just closed all petrol stations in Monaco.
fing22.gif
That is so ridiculous. That simply doesn't mean that Monaco has suddenly turned green. It actually sounds to me that Monaco only wants to give itself the image of being clean. They still don't do enough to promote public transport, they don't encourage people to use bikes instead of scooters (the could forexample create safer lanes for bikers,i.e. having them use the bus lanes and making sure that people have to respect those special lanes). That would not only be healthy for the environment but also for the obese population.;)

Paca, I doubt wind energy is something that would work in Monaco. It mostly doesn't work in other countries either. Windturbines are big, noisy and cast shadows. They kill birds as well, according to some. Plus, but this is speculation, the mountains may be in the way. All windturbines I have seen are in more or less desolate places, away from the population. And in flat country. I'll doubt they'll ever put them in densly populated areas.

Ghislaine said:
Paca, I doubt wind energy is something that would work in Monaco. It mostly doesn't work in other countries either. Windturbines are big, noisy and cast shadows. They kill birds as well, according to some. Plus, but this is speculation, the mountains may be in the way. All windturbines I have seen are in more or less desolate places, away from the population. And in flat country. I'll doubt they'll ever put them in densly populated areas.
Space would surely be a problem, unless Albert uses the new land extension for that purpose but I guess the realestate people would personally chase him out of the country. I have seen windturbines used in valleys in Italy, so I doubt that the mountains would pose a problem. Besides we have a lot of wind comming from the sea. I don't know about the noise, but the ones that I walked past were not that loud. If you're worried about noise in MOnaco, the first thing I would get rid of is the continuous fireworks they are having in Larvotto after every concert and event. It sounds in my living room like bombs on Bagdad and you can't talk to anyone while it lasts. The sound is terribly reflected by the buildings so that it is louder in Beausoleil than at the beach. It is a waste of money, wakes people in the middle of the night (sometimes 2 in the morning) and terrifies small children who wake up in the middle of their sleep. I really don't see the point of having those fireworks and think they should be limited to major events (like the fireworks competition) which is actually interesting to watch and at a reasonable hour. I am sure people who live near Larvotto would be very pleased if they could get some relief from the continuous noisepolution they have to suffer during summer especially. (and not only them). There have been demands to the cityhall a few years back but to this point without effect. Argument has been that it serves Monacos economy thus they just have to do with. :rolleyes:

Paca, why don't you just energize some of your numerous rivers than run through Monaco???? ;)

paca said:
Space would surely be a problem, unless Albert uses the new land extension for that purpose but I guess the realestate people would personally chase him out of the country. I have seen windturbines used in valleys in Italy, so I doubt that the mountains would pose a problem. Besides we have a lot of wind comming from the sea. I don't know about the noise, but the ones that I walked past were not that loud. If you're worried about noise in MOnaco, the first thing I would get rid of is the continuous fireworks they are having in Larvotto after every concert and event. It sounds in my living room like bombs on Bagdad and you can't talk to anyone while it lasts. The sound is terribly reflected by the buildings so that it is louder in Beausoleil than at the beach. It is a waste of money, wakes people in the middle of the night (sometimes 2 in the morning) and terrifies small children who wake up in the middle of their sleep. I really don't see the point of having those fireworks and think they should be limited to major events (like the fireworks competition) which is actually interesting to watch and at a reasonable hour. I am sure people who live near Larvotto would be very pleased if they could get some relief from the continuous noisepolution they have to suffer during summer especially. (and not only them). There have been demands to the cityhall a few years back but to this point without effect. Argument has been that it serves Monacos economy thus they just have to do with. :rolleyes:

paca you should run for office in Monaco or at least get a job with someone in the National Council so you can whisper good things in their ears. It seems that the only reflecters Albert is holding up to the Sun are politcal ones. I admit he has worked that game very well including moving the Vatican Xmas concert to Monaco I wonder what he promised your Archbishop?

I"m glad... we'll be able to read about non-glamourous life in Monaco!!!

there will be five more "stores " on Monaco's harbour 2400m/2...money money glamour dream hum hum...

lilae said:
there will be five more "stores " on Monaco's harbour 2400m/2...money money glamour dream hum hum...
What do you mean by that?... Do you mean Monaco new land extention?...:ermm:

Lakshmi said:
What do you mean by that?... Do you mean Monaco new land extention?...:ermm:
no it's not land extention... it's on the harbour.

Back
Top Bottom