The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Courtier

paca

Not to get off-topic, but do you have links to (or pics of) the Forum? I'm curious to (imaginarily) redo it.

On topic, what is the Pierre bridge supposed to be for? Albert visited its progress yesterday. Is it something he initiated? Something thats just being updated? or Something that could potentially just be a waste?

Ann

Old 05-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
Some good news. Todays paper announces that 6000square meters of terrasses of dominial buildings have been emptied in order to install sunreflectors to produce sun energy. It is not much, but it is a beginning.
It looks like P Albert keeps his promises given in the enthronment speech last year.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:10 AM
Royal Highness

There's something Albert should do :

He should name a street or something after his sister Princess Stephanie. She deserves it. There are steets and stuff named after Rainier, Grace, Caroline and Albert - Steph's missng .
Old 05-10-2006, 05:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian

He should name a street or something after his sister Princess Stephanie. She deserves it. There are steets and stuff named after Rainier, Grace, Caroline and Albert - Steph's missng .
That's a very good idea. Can we petition? We're not Monegasque citizens, though...

I love the latest event for AMADE. Thanks!! Is there anything else to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of PR and PG?

Also, what can we expect from PA II on his second year of reign?

Kindness is the magic elixir of love - The Practice of Kindness
Old 05-10-2006, 05:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Of course the government (like all governments) doesn't deem it that hazordous, because they hardly ever do until some independent scientist, journalist etc. shows them to be negligent. Governments in general do act mostly after the fact. They are reactive, not active. They respond to problems after they occurred instead of being proactive and preventing them from happening. At least that is my impression of modern governments and legislations. We are no longer in an age of creating and developping societies, so all that happens now is to prevent the ship from drowning. And MC is no different there then any other country. And it doesn't matter which political party you favour, politicians nowadays lack leadership and the capacity to anticipate things that are going to happen and take suitable measure to navigate their "ship" safely. This capacity of anticpation was sth that M deslandes admired and credited PR for. He imagined MC in a particular way and then he took measures to achieve it. He anticipated how people would react, what would attract people/tourists to MC, what would he have to do to accomodate them. What would he need to do to attract other businesses in order to balance a possible recline in the tourist industry etc etc. And that is why Rainier was a leader true to the word: he lead and governed his country. And I hope that PA will do the same. In his speech he explained what sort of country he imagined MC to be, I am waiting now to see how he is going to shape it ad I hope he will show himself to be a proactive politician like his father was.
If only more officials thought and acted as Paca pointed out and Ranier actualized...what a geat world this could be! :(
Old 05-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian

NOt true. There is the Centre Psse Stephanie. It used to be located near the old trainstation. There was a hostel there during summer months (I stayed there once). Apart from that it is a youth center. Very appropriate IMO and it is an age old thing, done by Rainier.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
NOt true. There is the Centre Psse Stephanie. It used to be located near the old trainstation. There was a hostel there during summer months (I stayed there once). Apart from that it is a youth center. Very appropriate IMO and it is an age old thing, done by Rainier.
I know that, paca - but there's no street named after Stephanie, that's what I meant.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Nobility

Is it just me or is the Hobbs-Melville trial not doing anything to clean up Monaco's (and Alberts) image?
http://www.liberation.com/page.php?Article=380545

G.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Serene Highness

Glistening Seas

:o would anyone do a quick translation on this.:)
Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Serene Highness

Talking Glistening Seas

:) correct me if i am wrong but the article says that while the actions of parties may have been criticizeable they are not dishonest. the end sentence says PA wants transparency my french dictionary not complete must go get a better one
Old 05-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Serene Highness

For those interested in the topic of the incinery: last week radioactive material has been detected there. At present they have no idea where it is coming from, but it is excluded that it might have been waste from the hospital.

Here is a link http://www.libello.com/pages/actu/ac...Cat=0&home=yes
Old 05-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Aristocracy

Radioactive material coming from an incinerator is extremely troublesome. Monaco is a small principality and the impact of this incinerator on the health of all of its people---especially children, is very disconcerting. I truly hope that an investigation is launched. It doesn't matter how much they paid for this incinerator--if it is unhealthy --it must be replaced with another method..
Paca, how much of a "Green" country is Monaco? Do the people recycle? Are there environmental education programs in the schools?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Serene Highness

Recycling is just starting and no, I wouldn't call MC a "green" country. In comparison with Germany, France and MC are lightyears behind. As to the radioactive material, they claim that it might be coming from incinerating old beton, where it is apparently a natural constituent. (Boy am I glad that I am not living in one of those modern buildings, but in one dated from 1902 )
I don't know whether the environment is an issue in schools. I suppose these sort of topics are mainly up to the personal interest of the teachers. I have in my own little way started to make the children of our school get an interest in nature by planting a garden and teaching them about the impact on plants on us (they are only maternelle/kindergarden age, so very limited possibilities), but I hope it is a start and opening a little door for them. I know they are doing sth similar in MC, though on a much smaller scale and a lot less enthusiasm from the teaching staff, but that is only recent. The kids are very willing and wanting to learn, but when I assisted at one of their outings (it is located in a public playground), I had the impression that the teacher did not really want to be there. So in the end it was the gardener and me explaining things to the kids, while the teacher was busy scolding them for getting in the way etc. A shame really, because when we did our planting, the kids were really interested and even learned from their little gardening accidents (like planting upside down or even braking a plant). And most importantly: they were having lots of fun and if they had fun at this age, they might be taking that along with them later when they can do more then plant a tomatoe or courgette.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:31 AM
Serene Highness

Here is a link to an article about the university of MC from Sunday Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...178573,00.html
Old 05-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Gentry

Monaco - Luxury Yacht Show Fights Global Warming

Quote:
The world’s leading luxury yacht show in Monaco is to pay for 55 wind turbines in New Zealand - enough to generate power for 45,000 homes - making the event ’carbon neutral’.
I'm not sure how environmentally friendly 22,000 boats are but the wind turbines are a good start.

Edited because grammar matters
Old 05-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Nobility

The link is already in the PA - current events thread, but IMO it belongs here.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200...nceshiftyimage
"Monaco steers clear of once-shifty image", from a piece by USA Today.
It lists some of the measurements Monaco has taken to clean up its image.

Opinions differ about what is shifty, I suppose.:p

G.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Serene Highness

This week we have an environment awareness week called Monacology. There is an article in todays paper which ends with the question of an anonymous person and the journalist as to when we are going to see some concrete decissions in MC.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
This week we have an environment awareness week called Monacology. There is an article in todays paper which ends with the question of an anonymous person and the journalist as to when we are going to see some concrete decissions in MC.
Just few questions Paca,

Were he supposed to take important decissions? did he promise them? what did his father do on this area? what kind of issues are more relevant for the citizens of Monaco?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Royal Highness

I would like to point out one thing:

If you're talking about Prince Albert's achievements and everything that doesn't go as fast and as perfect as we wish - then we all should be aware of the fact that Monaco is a well-going country with only little problems compared to others ( may it be finacially or others ) .
I know that Prince Albert declared in his speech last July that he wants to make of Monaco a place that comes close to some sort of ideal country.
He also pointed out that such work is a long way to go and needs the cooperation between each and everyone .
Even if everything works fine it is still a very difficult thing ( even with small Monaco ) to make this place ideal for everyone - and it is especially something that takes some time. I believe everyone who's contributing to this goal puts a lot of work, time and effort into it.
It is always easy to just be there, criticize and complain. This is what all people tend to do ( specially Germans :p ) But beeing responsable for the functioning of a whole country isn't something that just always flows ...
I'm sure Prince Albert meant what he said and that he's doing everything to achieve thngs - but step by step.
Finally, I know Monaco very well ever since I was a child. I know a lot of people who are very thankful to be able to live around there. It is not an ideal or all-perfect place - I guess no place on earth is.
Most people who live in or around Monaco have chosen to live there, they were not forced. To my knowledge everything is going just fine there which doesn't mean there are no problems - but problems are verywhere.
I live in Germany - Germany is a geat country and I love it . but it is lightyears away from being perfect - as is France, Italy, Britain, the States etc. ...
Due to its tiny size Monaco is kind of priviliged and it always was - but people shouldn't expect it to be ideally perfect by nature.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Serene Highness

If you read the first page, you will see from his speech, what he promissed us. This thread is basically to see what he actually put into action. Since his work is mainly overshadowed by private news, I would just like to put these things apart a little, in order to see whether what he said last JUly were just words that sound good and look good on paper, or whether he really meant what he said. So far we haven't seen that much, possibly because he was too busy otherwise . But I hope after the summer holidays he will come back and finally start working on his agenda. There are some people here who would highly appreciate some major action from our dear PA .