The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Courtier

I've seen the video. It was a nice touch and a lovely surprise for Albert and I'm glad she's finally using French rather than English. But sorry, Melina (and I know you're French so have a good ear) but I think her accent is horrible. However, it was clear and perfectly comprehensible.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Courtier

Kudos to the Princess! I thought it took great courage to deliver her first speech in French on such a huge occasion and in front of so many people. Of course her French was not perfect and her accent will be different. But her husband did not seem to notice or care, and neither did the Monegasque people, judging by their lengthy applause.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Old 07-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

It was very all very moving... I think that is the best gift she could give to Albert for his anniversary on the throne... Good job Charlene...
Old 07-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Very touching and lovely. It seems to have been the perfect celebration of Albert's jubilee!

** fb gallery **

** pm gallery: Après la déclaration de Charlène, l'émotion d'Albert **
Old 07-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
What is bad in her french? as french, I found that she has an accent as foreign persons who are speaking french but the words are well prononced , she did read always her note and she looked at the people of Monaco and hre husband, she was doing a speech in front of a lot of persons and in french plus the moving of the day. She received a long applause from the monegash people.

There will be always persons on this board who are not satisfied. She woukd do a speech in English , we would have a lot of critics and she di a speech in french and there is a critic

As we say 'go on Charlene'
If you have read my post completely, you can see that I give Charlene credit for her effort, but the last time I checked this is not a Charlene fan club where no critics are allowed.

I still think her french is poor/horrible accent, reading up 5 sentences after so many years for the first time is not impressive at all (it would have been maybe around engagement time). It was long overdue and I am glad she finally became confident enough to tackle this issue.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

I noticed the only family member missing was Princess Alexandra. Anyone know the reason, or did I just overlook her?
Old 07-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness

Well I thought princess Charlene did a great job and they look soooo happy which is lovely to see
Old 07-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Courtier

Wow, I had no idea that she'd never given a speech in French before. That's . . . surprising. She did well, but I think anyone who's taken a French class for a few months, or even just a few weeks, could probably do about the same. That said, Charlene is obviously having to do so in quite a high-profile context, and the stress of that can make it much more difficult. Good for her for finally going for it.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's hard to understand what she's saying, and she makes mistakes like "un immense joie" and "Albert première"... Which is sort of embarrasing to listen to. I guess she never speaks French. I do hope she'll continue to try and make an effort. It's not easy for everyone, obviously.

Wonderful to see the interaction between Ch & A. Nice couple.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Courtier

No shade for Charlene's speech. As someone who speaks limited french, it is intimidating to use it with a native speaker, as well as hard not feel self consious. I am always wondering if what I said made sense or did it sound like gibberish to them, or wonder how bady I am pronouncing things. I applaud her effort, and those in attendance seemed to appreciate it as well.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy

I don´t speak French myself, so I can´t judge her French, but I find the idea of her speech in French as a tribute and surprising present to her husband just wonderful. She looks great - confident, lovely, with perfect hair and outfit. As a couple they look so happy and in love, it is joy to see.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

What did the twins receive as gifts? I noticed the gift boxes said Cartier on them.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

What a nice gift to give her husband! He does have everything, so this was really an effort on her part and a surprise.
As an English speaker who learned French, I also think her accent is pretty bad,but I've heard worse. She seemed comfortable with the meaning of the words and was very good at delivering the speech. She just has trouble with pronunciation, whGich a lot of people do. My Mother in law was French and never lost her very heavy accent after living in American from her thirties on. Also, my mother in law never criticized our French, so we felt more comfortable speaking it.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I do not understand why such a mess for her French. She has spent more almost ten years in a French speaking country and about half of them she was preparing herself to be the wife of the ruler. I'm a perfect French speaker, her speech was nice for someone after two or three years of course not more. I do not understand why such a difficult matter for her. Crown Princess Mary, Princess Marie or Queen Maxima learned Danish, or Dutch and they are known to speak them very good very quickly. And Danish and Dutch are very difficult languages. Why Charlene has such problems. Okay 👏 for her efforts but the results are not really phenomenal. It was a prepared speech. How will she be in a real discussion ?
Old 07-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

A number of years ago my husband and I gave a reception for a group of visiting academics and I can tell you that I heard some pretty butchered accents ... when it could be understood at all. It seems of all languages French is the one where one is not allowed to speak it with an accent or poorly. Too bad, maybe that's why so many people don't even try.

ETA: fandesacs2003 how very nice for you that you are able to speak "perfect French".
Old 07-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

For me, it was a lovely gesture of Charlene to give her speech in french for her husband and people.

But I understand what fandesacs2003 is trying to say, if you live 10 years in a foreign country, you are expected to speak the language more or less. It is obvious that Charlene didn't learn the language ferocious like Mary or Maxima, and instead makes english her every day language.

Portuguese is my mother tongue, and it's a very dificult language that even us native make mistakes, but I witnessed foreigns who came to live here (because most married portuguese husbands/wives) and in 2/3 years they are able to communicate well in portuguese (althought their accent never disappears).

The same applies to other languages, maybe it was not Charlene main objective to learn the language, but with a bit of effort, and IMO, listening to french everyday at home, the TV, at the street, and plus with classes, one can master it after 2/3 years, not 10 years.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post

ETA: fandesacs2003 how very nice for you that you are able to speak "perfect French".
Should I take it as an ironic comment? Yes I'm not French and I speak perfectly French. I learned.
Is that a problem?
Old 07-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Courtier

Nobody's saying "it isn't allowed" to have an accent but she mispronounces several words. Yes, kudos to her for deciding to use such a public occasion to make her debut and the sentiments she expressed were lovely and yes, those attending applauded her. But it's still not super amazing after living in a French speaking country for the best part of a decade.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

@Florestane and @katia_sophia.
Exactly my thoughts
Old 07-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Fandesac, the speech was a little prepared as those of speechs of Queen Elizabeth or other personalities. You give always the example of Mary De danemark and Maxima but you never give the exemple of Queen Paola who had very quicly lessons of flemish because king Albert II became king and she did not learn the language as all her children who don(t speak flemish very Well and are criticed for this.

Since 2011, Charlene is married and we saw her visiting schools and speaking with the children, when we saw her giving lessons of swimming to children of Saint Jean Cap Ferrat and in Corsica, all these children don't speak English as the children she received for the price of snappers for all, she speaks french with them. Perhaps not a good french but she is speaking it.
To day, nobody said her to do a speech, Albert did not know it, as he said, it was a surprise. I thing she prepared it with only her teachers.
It is not she did a speech but it was as Albert was moved when he heard the speech , we had lovely moments and she received a lot of applause from the peolpel of Monaco. and that is the most important