Prince Albert - Expedition to the North Pole: April 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdb

Gentry
City
Monte Carlo
Country
Monaco
Hi, do you know more information about Albert's expedition next year? When exactly? And what's the program?

there is also some info in the current events thread

This isn't an article about Albert but its worth a read to see his concern as well as others over these issues of Global warming and the effects its having. http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060216143509990004&ncid=NWS000100 00000001 I know when I was a child I was playing on the beach and found concrete where the road had been I was told the land had been future out. The sea walls are the only thing in many area's not letting the water wash the land out to sea. I see what Albert hopes achieve and with his admirer's watching like those on the Royal Forum he might be able to even get the smaller voices interested to make his larger by support. Look at it this way who saw the movie Water World? If you did then it could be like that in the future. From the above article.
"At 1.7 million square km [656,000 square miles], up to 3 km [nearly two miles] thick and a little smaller than Mexico, the Greenland Ice Sheet would raise global sea level by about 7 meters [22 feet] if it melted completely."
From Hello
Speaking at the Oceanographic Museum founded by his great-great-grandfather, Prince Albert I, the prince said, "If, in our modest way, by this action we are able to bring environmental problems to the forefront and force some leaders to take stronger actions, the expedition will have achieved its objectives."
The people have to speak as well to make many leaders pay attention.

Since the time is getting close for Albert to set off on the Expedition I thought I would post the old photo's here that I located yesterday on Getty and we could contiune to talk about it as it happens and he's back. As well as questions seems most current events get hidden under all the girlfriend talk.
This seven-people expedition accompanied with 40 dogs and six sledges
Someone is riding on a sled or there would be seven. I know Albert has experiance in driving a sled.
npe.jpg
Monaco, MONACO: Monaco's Prince Albert II presents, 28 November 2005 at the Oceanographic Museum in Monaco, his project for a North Pole expedition that he will undertake from 10 to 19 April 2006. This seven-people expedition accompanied with 40 dogs and six sledges, will mark the 100th anniversary of the Museum created by Prince Albert I. The expedition will start from the polar drifting station of Barneo. AFP PHOTO VALERY HACHE (Photo credit should read VALERY HACHE/AFP/Getty Images)
npe1.jpg
Monaco, MONACO: Monaco's Prince Albert II poses with a sledge as he presents, 28 November 2005 at the Oceanographic Museum in Monaco, his project for a North Pole expedition that he will undertake from 10 to 19 April 2006. This seven-people expedition accompanied with 40 dogs and six sledges, will mark the 100th anniversary of the Museum created by Prince Albert I. The expedition will start from the polar drifting station of Barneo. AFP PHOTO VALERY HACHE (Photo credit should read VALERY HACHE/AFP/Getty Images)

This begins on Monday the 10th so I bumped it up for posting.

michelle said:
For all info ....just have a look ..... here !!!!

Might anyone know if Albert ever spoke this speech in English? I would love to listen to it.

Freedom said:
Might anyone know if Albert ever spoke this speech in English? I would love to listen to it.
if you mean the speech of the 12.07.05, no it was only spoken once in French, but is available in English on the palace website. There is also a DVD which might be with English subtitles.

paca said:
if you mean the speech of the 12.07.05, no it was only spoken once in French, but is available in English on the palace website. There is also a DVD which might be with English subtitles.

Yes, that was the speech I meant. Thank you Paca.

Is he there yet?;)

IS HE FROZEN YET?:D

I hope this expedition isn't too dangerous, though !

North Pole

I recently read there was a website and webcam arranged at the Pole for everyone to follow. Does anyone have any infomation about this or did misread it?

Prince Albert leaves Monaco for the North Pole

Prince Albert II of Monaco left the principality for the North Pole to raise public awareness of global warming, the palace announced.
The prince left on Monday for Kiruna in northern Sweden where he will be joined by two guides, two dog handlers, 42 dogs and six sleds, the palace said.
From there he will head to the Russian meteorological base of Barneo, around 100 kilometres (62 miles) from the North Pole

http://servihoo.com/Aujourdhui/kinews/afp_details.php?id=118501&CategoryID=74

TrustWorthy said:
I recently read there was a website and webcam arranged at the Pole for everyone to follow. Does anyone have any infomation about this or did misread it?

The North Pole Arctic Web Cam has not been established yet this year. The web site is:

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/gallery_np.html

I understand that there are several groups heading to the North Pole via different routes at this time, on is a teenage boy. But NOAA wasn't able to get up there to put the camera in place.

The other website, the web cam:

http://www.svalbard.com/webcam/

is the starting point.

does anyone have a clue as to whom he took up there with him. did he take some computer tech with him to stay in touch. well i must say he is a brave one to be taking up in that kind of cold for 7 day, or maaybee he's part polar bear. whatEVER. te he. well he can always think about warm palm trees he comes back to and that should keep em warm.

moonstream1 said:
does anyone have a clue as to whom he took up there with him. did he take some computer tech with him to stay in touch. well i must say he is a brave one to be taking up in that kind of cold for 7 day, or maaybee he's part polar bear. whatEVER. te he. well he can always think about warm palm trees he comes back to and that should keep em warm.

Prince Albert's expedition website has info about all of the team members....even the dogs:) : http://www.monaco.arctic-expedition.mc/wwwpolar.nsf/(ListCh)/CA847C47712D7919C12571410052EABF?OpenDocument

Be sure to check out the profile on Annabelle Bond;)
Annabelle.jpg

Great find!

Here is the English translation link (via Google):
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffr.news.yahoo.com%2F10042006%2F202%2Falbert-de-monaco-part-en-expedition-au-pole-nord.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

[SIZE=-1]<<After a halt Tuesday in Longyearben, capital of the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard, Albert II should reach Wednesday the weather base Russian of Barneo established on the ice-barrier and distant of a hundred kilometers approximately of the geographical North Pole.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
"According to the conditions weather, Albert II will spring this base with the seven other members of forwarding to join the Pole in husky. The arrival is envisaged in the day of Sunday April 16", specifies the official statement of the palace.>>

Ann
[/SIZE]

I like this brand new photo.It seems he likes to cooperate,doesn't he?

They have a pretty blond on the crew! She must be a scientist for the expedition.Looks like the girl from the boat last summer/Crazy Horse photo.

Last edited:
Well, if Albert wanted to get publicity for global warming, taking Annabelle Bond along was an idiotic decision. The only publicity he'll be getting is speculation about his sex life.

Elspeth said:
Well, if Albert wanted to get publicity for global warming, taking Annabelle Bond along was an idiotic decision. The only publicity he'll be getting is speculation about his sex life.

I think we all need to stop trying to link Albert romantically with every woman he happens to spend time with. He does have a country to run...;)

Finally there happen to be women on this planet and not only men.... what could Albert possibly do about this? Making sure that there's no woman present wherever he goes and in whatever he does ?;):rolleyes:

It all depends on who is creating the speculation and how much chaos they can
cause. Hopefully, people can put their personal opinions/feelings aside and stay focus on the importance of the North Pole mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom