The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
I sincerely doubt that they took Alain Ducasse along for the ride (he is far too busy circeling the globe looking after all his restaurants ad related businesses) From what I understand they have been prepared (possibly in the kitchen of the Louis 16) and just need to be reheated. Sounds to me as though they are having a better type of frozen dinners.
I have actually taken frozen dinners along on camping trips. If you let the fire burn down a bit and put the trays in the ashes under the big logs, they cook quite nicely.

Though I can't imagine Stouffer's being similar to Ducasse's specialities!

Ann

Old 04-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Gentry

How long is this expedition ?

Old 04-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pama
How long is this expedition ?
I think I read they are supposed to reach their destination by tomorrow and then begins the return journey...the 19th maybe????????
Old 04-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

They could have taken a hot box with them. Mine is propane fueled and is like a little oven. Pre-heat it, then put the food into it to warm up. I do a lot of reynolds wrap meals when I'm out camping and they heat up really well in it.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Aristocracy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060415...o_060415214153

This article says they are suppose to reach the Pole either today or Monday.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Courtier

http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/politics/...issue=11498507

This article talks that they have hit some difficulties but expect to overcome them and that they are all in good spirits.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Aristocracy

One source of information

http://www.monaco.arctic-expedition.mc/
Old 04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Nobility

North Pole - Friday - 14 April 2006

Here are pictures from Friday from the Monaco Artic Expedition link

The captions are from the French version of the website (which I translated in English). Friday's pictures on the English site have not been posted yet.

(Picture 1) After a physically gruelling day, Prince Albert II eats a hot meal in his tent.

(Picture 2) The dogs and the members of the Expedition clear a trailwith difficulties between the blocks of ice.

(picture 3) The Expedition leaves again towards the Pole and encounters numerous creuvasses on the ice field, making the progression more difficult.

(Picture 4) Tom Frode Johansen smiles at his afternoon misfortune. He indeed fell in frozen water by some ice field. Behind, his clothes are drying thanks to the polar wind.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NorthPole1_14Apr.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	238260   Click image for larger version

Name:	NorthPole2_14Apr.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	238270   Click image for larger version

Name:	NorthPole3_14Apr.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	238271   Click image for larger version

Name:	NorthPole4_14Apr.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	238276  

Old 04-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Aristocracy

http://arctique.monaco-interactive.com/
Old 04-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Aristocracy

The monaco expedition site is interesting. I like day 5--Albert looks good with whiskers!
I'm still hoping against hope that there is an
"Polar cupid" who is shooting arrows to Annabelle and PA!
Old 04-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Aristocracy

I just read the news that Albert as Arrived at 17.45 pm

http://www.hln.be/hlns/cache/det/art....bron=homeHVDN
Old 04-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Nobility

Sorry, I might be very mean but I can help but see this as a leasurely walk in the snow plus an excuse for PA to have some fun.
But top chef-cooked meals, PR people flying in every night, helicopters standing by for emergencies, a team of 13 support people for a team of 8, regular contact with the Russian Hydrometeorology Service and the overkill of smooth orchestrated publicity (which is the whole point, I know). Somehow a bit over the top to me.

BTW, our local paper had a small piece about the trip, ' Prince with 'Bond girl' to the North Pole. It went on to list most of her resume.

G.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine
Sorry, I might be very mean but I can help but see this as a leasurely walk in the snow plus an excuse for PA to have some fun.
But top chef-cooked meals, PR people flying in every night, helicopters standing by for emergencies, a team of 13 support people for a team of 8, regular contact with the Russian Hydrometeorology Service and the overkill of smooth orchestrated publicity (which is the whole point, I know). Somehow a bit over the top to me.
G.
I'd love to make that trip with that kind of support -- amazing experience!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Aristocracy

The support staff for is about normal these days. The only time you see less, is when you see an individual who is treking for their own satisfaction.

Last year a lady who survived breast cancer, went solo, skiing to both the magnetic and true pole. She took a bear dog with her and pulled a sled behind herself.

I would estimate for the past 15 years folks go via airplane or helicopter the entire trip, and not staying overnight. I went for work in 1986 and we went via helicopter and then stayed over night in tents.

Oh the new tread is going during the summer months via boat.

I think the Prince's taking dog sleds and sleeping out in tents the entire night is pretty impressive. At least we know he has endurance and stamina.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Courtier

April 17, 2006; News.com.au: Prince Albert reaches the North Pole
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117....html?from=rss

Also according to the Expedition website two people fell through the ice. I saw the picture Elmabruin posted. Is PA one of the two who fell in? It doesn't identify who fell in but Annabelle Bond said she fell in and was rescued by her fellow team mates. see: http://www.monaco.arctic-expedition....sf/HomeFr7.htm
Old 04-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Aristocracy

Apparently I was in correct in the manner in which I posted the submarine and polar bear pictures. If you want to see them, they are on the US Navy website

http://www.news.navy.mil/view_galler...type=0&page=40

on page 40.

Sorry
Old 04-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

Once Albert returns to Monaco, I wonder if he will be writing a book about the trek. If he does I hope he includes information on Albert I's trek and if possible Albert I's diary.

I collect books on polar explorations and the explorers. I have never seen a book regarding Albert I, nor have I even seen him referenced as a player.

I am interested in both men's impression of the arctic. I wonder if they were able to see and pick up on the life of the region. The cracking of the ice, the sound of the sea life below, the bears and foxes. The cold sun, light from the full moon and the millions of stars. Also the northern lights, with all the colors not just the normal green northern lights.

Albert and his team have now lived one of the great adventures. I hope they were open to the full experience and that they allow it to effect them personnally, anc not just bask in the publicty and fame.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Posted by Laviollette : Also according to the Expedition website two people fell through the ice
This is why that support team and helicopters standing by are very necessary. Going under the water there must have been very scary and I can't even imagine the water temperature. It sounds like the training of the team has been good as they did the rescues all themselves without calling for backup. Just thinking of breaking through that ice make me think of things like hypothermia, frostbite, etc..

They sure are a tough and resistant bunch up there. Good for them!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Commoner

:) Hopefully this expedition has been a proactive and profound experience for Prince Albert in that it will have a positive impact on his life and for his future both intrinsically and extrinsically.:)
Old 04-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Aristocracy

Maryellen, thank you so much for the background information. You describe the expectations and routines for polar travel so well. It must be beautiful and exciting to live in Alaska.