Prince Albert - Expedition to the North Pole: April 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the news that Albert as Arrived at 17.45 pm

large1348732fc.jpg

http://www.hln.be/hlns/cache/det/art_195159.html?wt.bron=homeHVDN

Sorry, I might be very mean but I can help but see this as a leasurely walk in the snow plus an excuse for PA to have some fun. http://www.theroyalforums.com/ugala/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif
But top chef-cooked meals, PR people flying in every night, helicopters standing by for emergencies, a team of 13 support people for a team of 8, regular contact with the Russian Hydrometeorology Service and the overkill of smooth orchestrated publicity (which is the whole point, I know). Somehow a bit over the top to me.

BTW, our local paper had a small piece about the trip, ' Prince with 'Bond girl' to the North Pole. It went on to list most of her resume.

G.

Last edited:
Ghislaine said:
Sorry, I might be very mean but I can help but see this as a leasurely walk in the snow plus an excuse for PA to have some fun.
But top chef-cooked meals, PR people flying in every night, helicopters standing by for emergencies, a team of 13 support people for a team of 8, regular contact with the Russian Hydrometeorology Service and the overkill of smooth orchestrated publicity (which is the whole point, I know). Somehow a bit over the top to me.
G.

I'd love to make that trip with that kind of support -- amazing experience!

The support staff for is about normal these days. The only time you see less, is when you see an individual who is treking for their own satisfaction.

Last year a lady who survived breast cancer, went solo, skiing to both the magnetic and true pole. She took a bear dog with her and pulled a sled behind herself.

I would estimate for the past 15 years folks go via airplane or helicopter the entire trip, and not staying overnight. I went for work in 1986 and we went via helicopter and then stayed over night in tents.

Oh the new tread is going during the summer months via boat.

I think the Prince's taking dog sleds and sleeping out in tents the entire night is pretty impressive. At least we know he has endurance and stamina.

Last edited:
Once Albert returns to Monaco, I wonder if he will be writing a book about the trek. If he does I hope he includes information on Albert I's trek and if possible Albert I's diary.

I collect books on polar explorations and the explorers. I have never seen a book regarding Albert I, nor have I even seen him referenced as a player.

I am interested in both men's impression of the arctic. I wonder if they were able to see and pick up on the life of the region. The cracking of the ice, the sound of the sea life below, the bears and foxes. The cold sun, light from the full moon and the millions of stars. Also the northern lights, with all the colors not just the normal green northern lights.

Albert and his team have now lived one of the great adventures. I hope they were open to the full experience and that they allow it to effect them personnally, anc not just bask in the publicty and fame.

Posted by Laviollette : Also according to the Expedition website two people fell through the ice

This is why that support team and helicopters standing by are very necessary. Going under the water there must have been very scary and I can't even imagine the water temperature. It sounds like the training of the team has been good as they did the rescues all themselves without calling for backup. Just thinking of breaking through that ice make me think of things like hypothermia, frostbite, etc..

They sure are a tough and resistant bunch up there. Good for them!

:) Hopefully this expedition has been a proactive and profound experience for Prince Albert in that it will have a positive impact on his life and for his future both intrinsically and extrinsically.:)

Maryellen, thank you so much for the background information. You describe the expectations and routines for polar travel so well. It must be beautiful and exciting to live in Alaska.

Is there more information about those who fell through the ice and who played a role in the rescue?

Now that they have reached the NP, will they return the same way or was the goal just to get there and now will return via helicopter?

Here are Saturday's pictures from Monaco's Artic Expedition website
http://www.monaco.arctic-expedition.mc/wwwpolar.nsf/HomeGb10.htm

Summary of the day:

Saturday the 15th of April 2006 will remain the largest progress to date. Prince Albert II and his companions cover 35 Km in 12 hours and 30 minutes of strong effort.

Only 20 Km remain between them and the North Pole which is a destination that should be reached tomorrow.

(caption) Prince Albert and his companions are putting forth an exceptional effort in order to make up the lack of progress in the last few days. After more than twelve hours of deliberate effort they cover a distance of 35 Km.

Attachments

• NorthPole1_15Apr.jpg
    NorthPole1_15Apr.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 171
  • NorthPole2_15Apr.jpg
    NorthPole2_15Apr.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 163
Here are Sunday's pictures from Monaco's Artic Expedition website
http://www.monaco.arctic-expedition.mc/wwwpolar.nsf/HomeGb10.htm

Summary of the day:

Prince Albert II and his companions started their last leg of they journey at 9:10 AM (Monaco Time).

After a first passing through rough terrain the expedition was forced to make a detour of three Km towards the West.

Prince Albert reached the geographical North Pole at 15:45 after four days on the expedition and almost 150 Km

(Picture 1 caption) After four days of unceasing efforts Prince Albert II and the members of the expedition reach the North Pole at 15:45 Monaco Time.

(Picture 2 caption) The latitude of 90 degrees North 00 shown on the GPS screen confirms that Prince Albert II and his companions have reached the North Pole.

Attachments

• NorthPole1_16Apr.jpg
    NorthPole1_16Apr.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 170
  • NorthPole2_16Apr.jpg
    NorthPole2_16Apr.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 189
I think it would be a wonderful idea for PA to write a book about this whole expedition. Imagine how interesting the day to day diary must be. (ie: the whole breaking through the ice and rescue event)

I think the first half of the book should begin with Albert 1st trip then the second half with PA II trip. I would love to read this!

I hope to see that soon in the future.

Last edited:
:) hey everyone. great pics. does ANYBODY know how in that entire cracked ice how they managed to find a bridge to get across:eek: after going all that way to risk not having found a bridge to cross would have mean a problem how did they overcome that :eek: referencing saturdays pics

Last edited:
"Rooftop of the world"? lack of oxygen Albie? I thought that was in Tibet ;) well, maybe that's next.;) :D

This is something I've been wondering since I first heard about this expedition: do you really think it will raise any awareness regarding the environment situation? I personally think those who are interested in environment didn't need Albert going, and those who are not interested will maybe just be attracted by the images of a Prince between ice and won't dig much deeper (today in the news they talked about Albert reaching the Pole, and the main focus was him, not the purpose of the expedition which was barely mentioned).
I'm not blaming Albert, maybe I'm just blaming the people who are too shallow and care more about a Prince life than the destiny of our planet, but that's how I see it, and I'd be interested in hearing someone else's opinion.

Kisses

:) well, grace i think it does have a positive affect for two reasons. surely, on tv the focus was mainly on him and not expedition at first. that's pretty normal. However, the fact does remain imho, from what little i have read he is the first head of state to have made it to the north pole. so, in focusing on him and the accomplishment will always bring to mind the reason why it was done. that's pretty much history in the making right there. then, i think if PA does print either books articles etc with those pictures i think the second phase of furthering the awareness will be accomplished. personally, i HAD NO CLUE :eek: there was hardly any glaciers up there to that extent. also i wonder if on saturdays picture anyone knows how on that ridge with a gulf andwater how they managed to find the only bridge to get those sleds and dogs across, did they use electronic equipment for that:)

I'd love to make that trip with that kind of support -- amazing experience!
I'd love to make the trip and see the north pole, no doubt about that, but all that support and over-organizing, no thank you.

BTW, I'm not sure about the positive effect. IMO Albert falls in a sort of gap between publications: not interesting enough for the tabloids (after all no scandals), not scientific enough for scientic publications and not newsworthy enough for newspapers. Here, the focus was on the pretty blonde and not on Albert or his message(Saturday's newspaper. I almost thought they had "promoted" her to his newest girlfriend. That says enough). The story made the television news, but only during the day and possibly because there was no other news to report. It was scrapped from the main news broadcasts in the evening. But any attention to global warming problem is good, so thumbs up to Albert. May I volunteer my services for the next trip to antartica? Official dog-cuddler, cook, anything? ;)

BTW, anyone ever considered Albert's rather schizophrenic relation to the media? Sueing on the one hand and courting on the other?

G.

:) :D well GHislanie inmho i am as much of the out-doorsy type as anyone, hoWEVER, hanging out in there in frostbite alley for the number of days and the risk these folks took is NOT my idea of a good time, although i would venture to guess the planning and organizing must have been the easy part of this adventure. i don't know that i would agree on the not interesting for tabloids type thing--tabloids are pretty much known to blow things out of proportion sometimes so no one might pay it any mind--but, the book with l-o-t-s of pictures is something that would probably go well with the right and consistent publicity.
for my o-pin-ION, I DON'T know about the neck of the woods you folks live at but over here global warming is making itself pretty persistent to the fact it won't be ignored, since larson b shelf fell off EVERY year has been dramatically worse in weather than the last and i think for the most part people over here are getting tired of losing the shirt off their back every hurricane and tornado season, so i think it can only help.

:eek: THOSE pooches they took are the warmest thing out there so i think everyone would draw straws to see whom gets to cuddle with them for the night on that one. :D

Maybe if he comes back with some information about how the icecap is melting, it'll get people's attention about the environmental situation. Just looking at the day-to-day photos doesn't really give much clue about the long-term situation in the Arctic.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2006-04-17-prince-albert-north-pole_x.htm?csp=34

Prince Albert of Monaco makes dogsled trip to North Pole

MONACO (AP) — The ruler of Monaco, Prince Albert II, reached the North Pole on Sunday after a four-day dogsled expedition to draw attention to the effects of global warming on the Arctic ice cap, his office said.

Albert and seven team members departed from a Russian base on Thursday for the 100-kilometer (60-mile) trip, a palace statement said. Along the way they faced rapidly changing weather, difficult visibility and fissures in the ice underfoot. Two team members were plunged into icy water at one point but were unharmed.

At the North Pole, Albert planted Monaco's flag as well as the flag of the International Olympic Committee, of which he is a member.

The prince planned the project after taking part in a scientific expedition in July to sites his great-great-grandfather visited in the Norwegian archipelago of Spitsbergen.

Great grandson I guess, but by then we'd probably have to prop up Fontvielle a little so that it doesn't become an underwater city. I wonder whether PA considers the rise of the water level in the recent land projects ;) :D. Wonder what an underwater japanese garden will look like.... After reading the 2nd article though, I suppose I will still live to see it :(

Anyone know when Albert is returning to Monaco? I just read on this tread that he is now stopping to meet with Putin and then Chirac.

Is there any welcome home celebrations or anything to celebrate the success of the North Pole trip planned in Monaco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom