Prince Albert - Expedition to the North Pole: April 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The food that they make for the dogs, is called Slump. At least that is what it is called here in Alaska. It is made of a lot of melted snow (water), dog food, fish (usually sock-eye salmon because of the high oil content). It is heated and given to the dogs warm. This helps to keep them rehydrated. These dogs love the cold and being outside. When I was a kid we had a husky mix and she wouldn't come inside until it reached -50F. Then only for a short time.

:eek: can someone clear up something for me ple-a-s-e. is that day 3 picture of Prince Albert with that beautiful white dog on GREEN GRASS AND NO SNOW is that how it is up there right now??? or am i a little behind the times here is that a promo picture or something??:eek: i just can't imagine it having green grass and now snow when the movies i just saw in borneo contain tons of snow--enlighten me p-l-e-a-s-e. :eek:

i meant i can't imagine there being no snow up there

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't look like green grass. It looks like black granite with hay on it.

I would guess its a loading area by the water. The hay is used to keep it from being too slippery when its wet.

Ann

The hay or straw is also used to make beds for the dogs. On snow and ice it is better than a blanket. It doesn't absorb moisture as easily as man made materials.

Last edited:
PA looks like he has on neopreme leggings and long shirt. Add the vest, thick socks and shoes and he's very comfortable. He would be sweating (he does sweat) heavily if it were in an area so soft that it was green grass under his feet. And the dogs would be panting and lying down, not alert and sniffing around--they're comfortable in cold.

Ann

Thursday's Images from Rusian Base of Barneo. tHese images are from Monaco's Artic Expedition Site
http://www.monaco.arctic-expedition.mc/wwwpolar.nsf/HomeGb10.htm

Summary of the day:
The North Pole Expedition of H.S.H. Prince Albert II has accomplished 21 kms the first day. Before departure the Russian Authorities take off in a MI-8 helicopter to ensure the status of the ice bed. Three first kilometers were difficult because of compressions and craks in the ice.

(Picture 1) The Members of the Expedition Team gather around their leader before leaving Barnéo.

(Picture 2) H.S.H. Prince Albert II encourages His "lead dog" before departing.

(Picture 3) H.S.H. Prince Albert II is hardly reconizable in His "Arctic snow" equipment, as He leads the way for the Expedition Team.

(Picture 4) The caravan of the Expedition Team photographed from the Russian Base of Barnéo.

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

Attachments

• NorthPole1.jpg
    NorthPole1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 732
  • NorthPole2.jpg
    NorthPole2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 215
  • NorthPole3.jpg
    NorthPole3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 245
  • NorthPole4.jpg
    NorthPole4.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
:) hey everyone does anybody know WHAT temperature it is in the Prince Albert picture above with prince albert and pooch:D i am amazed there's no ice burgs:eek: :eek:

pinklady1991 said:
Methinks someone is going back to the Palace with a new friend...too cute...

When was the last time Albert had a pet?

Ann

:D b-r-r-r-r well -4 is cold and yet there's no iceburgs :rolleyes: h-m-m-m i am beginning to see what PA meant. that's big news. well, after that trip i'll bet they can't wait to get back to monaco. gret pics.

Prince's expedition on track despite bad weather
Fri Apr 14
MOSCOW (AFP) - Prince Albert II of Monaco's trip to the North Pole continued without major incident despite difficult weather conditions, one of the expedition leaders said.

{the article is not publicly accessible-at least where I got it from, so I'm posting about 30% for new information; my emphases.}
Leonid Sloutski told the Itar-Tass agency that the team was doing "marvellously", adding that "everyone is in good health and injury-free".
The expedition, which kicked off Thursday, has had to face difficult weather conditions with strong winds and drifting ice blocks.
The section of ice where the eight-man team set up camp on Thursday night drifted by more than three kilometres (two miles), extending the following day's journey to 25 kilometres.
The prince, 48, and his team of seven left on Thursday from the Russian tent camp of Barneo, which is erected each winter on the frozen Arctic Sea.
Albert II, known officially as His Serene Highness and more used to the sunshine and glamour of his tiny principality on France's Riviera, had only a short distance to go.
He had first flown in a Boeing Business Jet from the Swedish Polar town of Kiruna to the Norweigan outpost of Svalbard, then in a twin-jet Russian Antonov-74 to a makeshift landing strip at Barneo just 92 kilometres (57 miles) from the North Pole. The team expected to reach their goal Sunday.

Ann

If you go to http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/gallery_np.html and select images for previous years, you can see how the pack ice really looks at the North Pole. There really isn't any ice bergs. What you get are ice heaves and ice ridges. Yes some can be very tall. There have been reports of the ridges being over 10 feet tall.

If you want to see ice bergs, visit http://www.uscg.mil/lantarea/iip/home.html the 2006 ice season is now open and they should be having photos soon.

http://www.athropolis.com/temperature/coldreport2.php You will need to refresh this page, but it also gives weather reports for all the locations that report circling the North Pole. This one will tell you who is snow and converts all sections of the weather reports.

What both of these sites clearly show is that the ice pack is melting earlier and farther north each year. I really do hope that this expedition brings more public attention to both of the polar regions.

Last edited:
Its too bad they stress the "tiny tax haven" part of Monaco.

I wonder whose idea it was to have a private chef? Guess Albert wont' be coming back much slimmer after all. :eek:

Ann

Suonymona said:
I wonder whose idea it was to have a private chef? Guess Albert wont' be coming back much slimmer after all. :eek:

Ann
I sincerely doubt that they took Alain Ducasse along for the ride (he is far too busy circeling the globe looking after all his restaurants ad related businesses) From what I understand they have been prepared (possibly in the kitchen of the Louis 16) and just need to be reheated. Sounds to me as though they are having a better type of frozen dinners.;) :D

Thanks for the great photos maryellen! Love those polar bears!

I wonder how close they can get to the camps where PA and his team are. Althought they look so adorable and huggable, they are really aggressive and dangerous creatures.

I guess they have to rotate someone being on watch at night.

paca said:
I sincerely doubt that they took Alain Ducasse along for the ride (he is far too busy circeling the globe looking after all his restaurants ad related businesses) From what I understand they have been prepared (possibly in the kitchen of the Louis 16) and just need to be reheated. Sounds to me as though they are having a better type of frozen dinners.;) :D

I have actually taken frozen dinners along on camping trips. If you let the fire burn down a bit and put the trays in the ashes under the big logs, they cook quite nicely.

Though I can't imagine Stouffer's being similar to Ducasse's specialities!

Ann

How long is this expedition ?

pama said:
How long is this expedition ?

I think I read they are supposed to reach their destination by tomorrow and then begins the return journey...the 19th maybe????????

They could have taken a hot box with them. Mine is propane fueled and is like a little oven. Pre-heat it, then put the food into it to warm up. I do a lot of reynolds wrap meals when I'm out camping and they heat up really well in it.

North Pole - Friday - 14 April 2006

Here are pictures from Friday from the Monaco Artic Expedition link

The captions are from the French version of the website (which I translated in English). Friday's pictures on the English site have not been posted yet.

(Picture 1) After a physically gruelling day, Prince Albert II eats a hot meal in his tent.

(Picture 2) The dogs and the members of the Expedition clear a trailwith difficulties between the blocks of ice.

(picture 3) The Expedition leaves again towards the Pole and encounters numerous creuvasses on the ice field, making the progression more difficult.

(Picture 4) Tom Frode Johansen smiles at his afternoon misfortune. He indeed fell in frozen water by some ice field. Behind, his clothes are drying thanks to the polar wind.

Attachments

• NorthPole1_14Apr.jpg
    NorthPole1_14Apr.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 191
  • NorthPole2_14Apr.jpg
    NorthPole2_14Apr.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 338
  • NorthPole3_14Apr.jpg
    NorthPole3_14Apr.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 139
  • NorthPole4_14Apr.jpg
    NorthPole4_14Apr.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
The monaco expedition site is interesting. I like day 5--Albert looks good with whiskers!
I'm still hoping against hope that there is an
"Polar cupid" who is shooting arrows to Annabelle and PA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom