Prince Albert and Princess Charlene's Relationship - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There were photos recently in some magazines and she looks absolutely smashing. Whatever or whoever is guiding her is doing a beautiful job with her.
I still shudder at the thought of that laced up dress she wore (the black satin little number) when she sat next to Alrbert on an official outing. Nowdays Charlene is dressed in couture, she is coiffed to perfection and with a bit of intervention here and there she looks terrific.
Who needs a ring on the finger? The lady is riding in the first class of the gravy train .

Pressure? You love someone. You don't like being without them. You want similar things from the future. You get along well. You don't want to be without them. You marry them. In real love, the natural pressure would be to prevent being apart at all. And for "Catholics" what's with all this living together and being together for three years without a marriage to go with it?

its been some time since my last visit but i can guesswhats up;they are not engage. here is a question-why prolong an engagement announcement? if they are truely "in love"(quotations are mine) why not just announce it or could it be the case of ur getting the milk for free why buy the cow (i am not calling charlene a cow its just a saying)

agreed.... no need to prolong the whole announcement. if they want to get married and love one another, i agree, they should just go for it... announce it and get to work on those little princes and princesses.... i would love to see another baby monaco.

Right now it has been already month since PA and Charlene have not been pictured together. On another royal board there was posted article that they were seen during concert of Chick Corea in Monaco around 10/20 or something, but there were no pics. On the other hand we know that Charlene is still in MC ( pic in other thread).

When was it that Prince Albert made that statement saying Charlene and he were just "having fun," or something to that effect? Someone's post in another thread made me think of this and wonder, If it's only for fun, why be so officially in the public eye with her? But then I realized that I don't know the context of this statement. By context, I am including the time frame, place, and purpose. If it was early on in the relationship when Charlene was a fresh face, it could be understandable, because everyone's feelings change over time. But if it was in the middle or recent, it might be strange. I don't know. I am trying not to judge. It seems to me that the relationship by now could appropriately be more than "fun." From my perspective, it seems serious. Otherwise, he could just "have fun" on his private time.

He did that to his other girlfriends take them out and did everything with them. Only to dump them.

This time however they have been together for a longer time, appeared on official ceremonies and outings. She was introduced to royalty. One can only surmise that this is a bit more official or that they both know where they are going. I do not believe if PA has any notions of letting her go, Charlene is not aware of it.

^let's not forget that when he had his other girlfriends, Rainier was still alive and there is no doubt in my mind, considering his sence of decorum (that Albert is completely lacking BTW) that he mingled in his son's private life, as in preventing mere girlfriends from appearing too 'official'. Now, Albert pretty much do whatever he want, including bringing his companion to official trips with him.
Other than that, I can't see how he has shown any more commitment to Charlene that he did to, say, Tasha de Vasconsuelo, who was everywhere with him for quite a long time, then disappeared.

^let's not forget that when he had his other girlfriends, Rainier was still alive and there is no doubt in my mind, considering his sence of decorum (that Albert is completely lacking BTW) that he mingled in his son's private life, as in preventing mere girlfriends from appearing too 'official'. Now, Albert pretty much do whatever he want, including bringing his companion to official trips with him.
Other than that, I can't see how he has shown any more commitment to Charlene that he did to, say, Tasha de Vasconsuelo, who was everywhere with him for quite a long time, then disappeared.

Yes, and I suspect everyone has to just simply respect his right to conduct his life the way he sees fit. I keep thinking we're seeing the manifestation of his comment around the monarch installment time (in 2005) when he said " His would be a modern regime"

He did that to his other girlfriends take them out and did everything with them. Only to dump them.
That's true. So maybe it is only the media that makes CW different?
That would mean it's our or the media's (or both) perception that is altered this time around. Or in other words, the outside perception is altered, but the inside situation (seemingly) remains the same.

Personally, I feel that it's inappropriate for PA to bring his girlfriend along on public functions and at the same time giving no hints of a possible wedding. It seems somewhat tasteless to me and IMO puts CW in an awkward position. If I were her, I would rather not attend those functions as it would feel so uncomfortable - being invited but not really a part of the family - especially when there are other royals present.

That's true. So maybe it is only the media that makes CW different?
That would mean it's our or the media's (or both) perception that is altered this time around. Or in other words, the outside perception is altered, but the inside situation (seemingly) remains the same.

An intriguing thought! Now why do you think the media would pay special attention to CW, making her out to be 'different' from the prevoius girlfriends?

Oh My !!? I think you are right!? I think it's just that the media wanted SO BADLY for P-A to get married after his father died and his son showed up .. that they have made C-W something greater than she really is!? I think she really IS no different than the others he has had except that he cannot really be talked out of this one by his father. I mean, he'd dated C-W before his father died and P-R must NOT have approved of her then because there was only that one date. P-A seems to like to date women long-term he won't settle down with. I think in the end, he will marry an intellect who is closer in age to him? C-W has GOT to find something of substance for herself to do in Monaco or in the long run, how will she find contentment? He'll be busy.

Except that a woman closer to him in age will not be able to give him an heir.

Except that a woman closer to him in age will not be able to give him an heir.

That is a very good point. Besides a woman closer to his age may have been married before or in a long relationship herself.
There was a post about another long term couple in another thread and the point was made that that prince felt comfortable with the lady and the relationship was easy. Perhaps PA found in Charlene what he needs in a close relationship with no regard to what the future may bring. My point earlier was that whatever PA plans, Charlene must be privy to it. I doubt he leads her on a path she is not willing to travel.:flowers:

The age difference is tremendous so a long-term relationship prior to a more serious commitment is wise.

If people are really in love age difference does not matter and they are in a hurry to make commitment. BTW I don't see age difference between Albert and Charlene as issue. It is her behavior that is a problem. But I don't see her and PA as a couple either, so her behavior and personality are irrelevant anyway.

If people are really in love age difference does not matter and they are in a hurry to make commitment. BTW I don't see age difference between Albert and Charlene as issue. It is her behavior that is a problem. But I don't see her and PA as a couple either, so her behavior and personality are irrelevant anyway.

From what I see and read she never said or did anything that could be deemed controversial. At the beginning and perhaps up until a year ago, her choices in clothes and hairstyles were distinctly middle class. However she came a long way and she now dresses like she always had access to couture. In the latest photos of hers in the short haircut and red gown she looks like a totally different person. I suspect that for her to keep that place next to PA for all those years and deal with his circle of friends and relatives she had to be able to handle the protocol and manners required by someone standing next to a reigning prince. Don't you think so?:flowers:

I suspect that for her to keep that place next to PA for all those years and deal with his circle of friends and relatives she had to be able to handle the protocol and manners required by someone standing next to a reigning prince. Don't you think so?:flowers:

Good point, Odette. I'm not a CW fan - I still feel she's not classy enough - but to be fair to her, it can't have been easy. There are surely a lot of snooty people around PA who will have snubbed her for her background. I think that would be expected. However, she's managed to hold her own. If she was really that awful, she would have embarassed PA and he would have gotten rid of her. But he hasn't.

Good point, Odette. I'm not a CW fan - I still feel she's not classy enough - but to be fair to her, it can't have been easy. There are surely a lot of snooty people around PA who will have snubbed her for her background. I think that would be expected. However, she's managed to hold her own. If she was really that awful, she would have embarassed PA and he would have gotten rid of her. But he hasn't.

She has done many embarassing things including leaning all over him in front of other royals etc at the last Olympics and lets not forget telling off Sarkozy about a year ago at the world cup finals. The fact that she is still here speaks volumes about PA. There is a difference between her doing embarassing things and what PA has or hasn't chosen to do about it. Yes she is still here, and yes there are snobby people who find her unpolished but there are also people who are more than happy to promote her or take advantage of her position to PA. So far neither of them seems to mind.

A lot of newly arrived ladies on the royal scene have (at one time or another) done embarrassing things. The difference imo is that the others had behind them the needed support, since at that point they were part of the different royal families.
The difference with Charlene is that no matter how visible she is, she still is the "girlfriend". What PA's circle thinks or doesn't think and say about her is a mystery. What I am trying to say is that she came a long way and she must be a polite/diplomatic/strong lady to endure whatever she had to, to last in that environment.:flowers:

Whatever the nature or status of their relationship, it seems to work for them. Thats pretty much all anyone can ask for in a relationship.

Whatever the nature or status of their relationship, it seems to work for them. Thats pretty much all anyone can ask for in a relationship.

That may be so, but we have bear in mind PA is head of state for Monaco. PA and CW's relationship may work for them, but I'm not sure it works for Monaco. PA the man may not ask for more in his personal relationships but PA the prince ought to.

OTOH, I'm an optimist :D so I would still credit PA with enough good sense to get rid of her if she oversteps the line. Of course he may have a different idea of where the line lies! :ohmy: As Odette pointed out, people do make mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them. If CW is going to be a permanent fixture in PA's life, I hope she will improve. I think there has been some improvement already, but there is still a long way to go.

A lot of newly arrived ladies on the royal scene have (at one time or another) done embarrassing things. The difference imo is that the others had behind them the needed support, since at that point they were part of the different royal families.
The difference with Charlene is that no matter how visible she is, she still is the "girlfriend". What PA's circle thinks or doesn't think and say about her is a mystery. What I am trying to say is that she came a long way and she must be a polite/diplomatic/strong lady to endure whatever she had to, to last in that environment.:flowers:

OMG...amen to that first sentence but I don't want to start a firestorm so I'll leave it at that...LOL! Charlene is Queen Mary compared to some of the recent and current "Royal" spouses and girlfriends.

Personally, if I was her I'd throw in the towel. It's become embarrassing. She's beginning to look like a hanger-on and Albert II has gone way past being a disgrace in my book. I am convinced that he plans to groom one of his young nephews(who both have very presentable girlfriends by the way) as his eventual successor.

I just don't think he intends to do his duty and marry and provide an Heir. He doesn't want to from the looks of it.

Pressure? You love someone. You don't like being without them. You want similar things from the future. You get along well. You don't want to be without them. You marry them. In real love, the natural pressure would be to prevent being apart at all. And for "Catholics" what's with all this living together and being together for three years without a marriage to go with it?

I agree with you completely but I don't know if Charlene has even converted to Catholicism. If she has not, it fuels my belief that Albert has no intention of marrying her now or in the future.

As for the shacking up for three years situation? Well I think it's incredibly tacky, especially for the ruler of a Catholic Principality. But hey, that's Albert for ya. He is determined to do things his way obviously. And maybe the Principality is not as conservative and devout as it was during Rainier and Grace years.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the beginning and perhaps up until a year ago, her choices in clothes and hairstyles were distinctly middle class. However she came a long way and she now dresses like she always had access to couture.
Really? I think she never looks refined. She has a thin layer of vulgarity about her that she cannot quite shake off, imo. No amount of styling, make-up and expensive bespoke gown will ever make her elegant to me. Some ordinary women clean up very nice and can play the part (for example Princess Mary). Charlene simply isn't one of those women.
Albert, in general, does not seem to be attracted to graceful women. All of his girlfriend were quite common, or sexy but not elegant, with the exception of rumored gf Karen Mulder (who turned out mentally unstable sadly) and my favourite of his exes, Tasha de Vasconcelo (the woman was class imo). I do wonder if it's some kind of twisted reaction to his mother...

i think albert fell into duty reluctantly. i think he shouldve abdicted in favor of his sister caroline so he could have his private life as he wanted.

Really? I think she never looks refined. She has a thin layer of vulgarity about her that she cannot quite shake off, imo. No amount of styling, make-up and expensive bespoke gown will ever make her elegant to me. Some ordinary women clean up very nice and can play the part (for example Princess Mary). Charlene simply isn't one of those women.
Albert, in general, does not seem to be attracted to graceful women. All of his girlfriend were quite common, or sexy but not elegant, with the exception of rumored gf Karen Mulder (who turned out mentally unstable sadly) and my favourite of his exes, Tasha de Vasconcelo (the woman was class imo). I do wonder if it's some kind of twisted reaction to his mother...

Your last paragraph is fascinating...I have felt the same thing for YEARS about PA's choices in women. He has stated innumerable times that he is looking for a woman just like his mother. He gravitates toward striking blondes, but all similarities to Princess Grace tend to end there, I'm afraid.

As a matter of fact ALL of the Grimaldi children have tended to be attracted to partners with more than a touch of vulgarity, and I too wonder if it's some sort of twisted reaction to their late mother.

I don't know, I think you are being a bit harsh. I can accept the fact that class and elegance are qualities no one can buy. However she did come a long way and she has improved a great deal. I do not find her vulgar.

Albert and Charlene

Do Albert and Charlene actually live together or does Charlene maintain a separate residence?

Back
Top Bottom