Prince Albert and Princess Charlene's Relationship - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I totally agree with you on that one .... I'm sure someone will shoot me down, but CW should have shown some basic courtesy to the Monégasques by making a big effort to learn their language !! She had plenty of time to do so.

Renata I do think her physical transformation has been superb, but I can't help wishing that she had spent the last four years concentrating on things in addition to her appearance...her French, her education, charities etc.

There is still time however...I am going to cross my fingers and hope for the best!;)

I agree-her physical transformation has been too Grace Kelly-ish for me. She should've spent more time indulging herself in the language, culture,etc of Monaco-after all it's what's inside that counts. I knew she probably hadn't mastered French or the Monegasque language yet as it is MUCH harder for an adult to master than a child. But there's still time-almost a year to fix that.:whistling:

Why should she have focused on learning french, having an education and charities when, she must have had no idea she was going to become the future Princess of Monaco. Yes she should start learning it now, but she shouldn't have before her engagement. Other princess who were not born in the country they now live in like Princess Mary and Marie of Denmark didn't learn danish until they married. Is having a degree in something going to make her a better princess? Nope, not IMO.
Doing stuff for charity is always a good thing, but she had no reason to go out and more than likely someone who have found a way to criticise her for it.

Whatever Charlene has had done, that was her decision, whether she looks like Grace or not is in the eye of the behold, she looks like Charlene to me and nothing like Grace except the blond hair.

She has a year to prove herself to the people who doubt her, say she is trying to hard or she wants to be Grace. But to me she doesn't need to prove anything, just that she will stand by Albert, whatever children they may have and do good for Monaco. She won't be the "savior" of Monaco, why should she be? She's a person not a god.

Why should she have focused on learning french, having an education and charities when, she must have had no idea she was going to become the future Princess of Monaco. Yes she should start learning it now, but she shouldn't have before her engagement. Other princess who were not born in the country they now live in like Princess Mary and Marie of Denmark didn't learn danish until they married. Is having a degree in something going to make her a better princess? Nope, not IMO.
Doing stuff for charity is always a good thing, but she had no reason to go out and more than likely someone who have found a way to criticise her for it.

Whatever Charlene has had done, that was her decision, whether she looks like Grace or not is in the eye of the behold, she looks like Charlene to me and nothing like Grace except the blond hair.

She has a year to prove herself to the people who doubt her, say she is trying to hard or she wants to be Grace. But to me she doesn't need to prove anything, just that she will stand by Albert, whatever children they may have and do good for Monaco. She won't be the "savior" of Monaco, why should she be? She's a person not a god.

Why should she have worked on French and her education? Precisely because she didn't know if she was going to be a princess or not. It would have been the smart thing to do --- known as Plan B if the princess job didn't pan out, and now that it has she would have been well ahead of the training not to mention have had something to show for her years in Monaco other than her new attributes.

It was reported that she's been "in training" for the future role of Princess Consort since the beginning in preparation of marrying PA someday. Having lived in Monaco for 4 years, she should have started with enduing herself within it's traditions, culture and language, then it's charities THEN her appearance-not the other way around.
I agree-she has a year to prove herself to those who doubt her. But to me, she just needs to be herself and stand by Albert and whatever children they may have and do good for Monaco.

I agree-her physical transformation has been too Grace Kelly-ish for me. She should've spent more time indulging herself in the language, culture,etc of Monaco-after all it's what's inside that counts. I knew she probably hadn't mastered French or the Monegasque language yet as it is MUCH harder for an adult to master than a child. But there's still time-almost a year to fix that.:whistling:

But I don't see the Grace Kelly mimicry that others do..I do see CW transforming herself into someone more "elegant" than when she came into Albert's life. As much as I admired Princess Grace she did not have a monopoly on elegance.

By transformation, what I mean is that CW has learned how to dress, walk, smile for the cameras, apply makeup and get her overprocessed, flyaway hair under control. And other than don a brunette wig or dye her hair I don't see how she could avoid the inevitable comparisons to Grace.

Any BLONDE Albert took up with was going to have to deal with that. :bang:

I do not subscribe to the idea that the fact that she does not have a college degree means that she lacks intelligence..I know far too many people in my personal life with University degrees who prove otherwise.:ohmy: I am troubled by the fact that she has been given four years to master French and has apparently not done so...so other than make herself over physically what has she been up to?

This..more than anything else, is what bothers me about CW.

I understand what you are saying and you make great points...but Mary Donaldson did not live in Denmark as the "companion" of CP Frederik for four years before she became engaged...so she had no real opportunity or reason to learn Danish before her wedding.

Charlene did, and nothing will convince me that she had no idea her relationship with the Prince was not serious enough to possibly consider immersing herself in the language of his country. That would mean that she is indeed stupid,or lazy, and I don't believe that she is either.

I just think her priority was her appearance, because let us be honest...if CW had mastered French, embraced the Catholic Faith and become an expert on the history and culture of the Principality...while at the same time gaining about twenty pounds, dressing like a slob in torn jeans and discount dresses, chain smoking in public and winking at the camera a la Sarah Palin, Monegasques and Royal watchers would FREAK OUT at the idea of this woman as Princess Consort. :ohmy:

Looks count.. like it or not, and CW and her handlers know that. But they must also know that it is not going to be enough for her to coast on forever...she is going to have to step it up, and soon!

Maybe that is why PA has set the wedding away a year...:whistling:

Some people have better facility in picking up languages. Hers may be poor. She came as an adult and for some adults a new language is a trial. They, most probably, will always have an accent. And, in most of her royal social visiting everyone speaks English. And, as none of us know what she has been doing, negative assumptions are just that.

Some people have better facility in picking up languages. Hers may be poor. She came as an adult and for some adults a new language is a trial. They, most probably, will always have an accent. And, in most of her royal social visiting everyone speaks English. And, as none of us know what she has been doing, negative assumptions are just that.

While I agree that for some learning a foreign language can be difficult, she has been there for four years. I'm sure if she spoke French with a SA accent no one would fault her. As for royal social visits, yes there are plenty of people who speak English, but if she had been wiser, she would have worked hard to speak the language of the country she has been living in for four years. We don't know what she's been doing for four years behind the scenes but with so little to go assumptions are inevitable, after all if she had been filling her days with other pursuits, I am quite sure the palace would have said so. JMO

In the intervieu of french tv, we saw that she understood french but she had difficuties to speak french, it is normal, french is a language difficult to learn, Princess Grace didn't speak french when she arrived in Monaco, there is an interview in 1960, where the palast asked what were the questions of the interviuever because she din't understood all the questions and she couldn't answer very well, she had difficulties all her life to speak french . I am french and i find that she spoke well this language. I am 62 yars old, i learned english when i was young, i went in england but I is difficult for me to speak english ( I understand what I read).learn a language is not like to learn riding or cooking,It is very difficult when we are grown up. Do the persons who critize her always speak french ?Excuse me for my bad english.

Do the persons who critize her always speak french ?Excuse me for my bad english.

YES!!!!!!!
Princess Maxima learnt Dutch in only a year. When she was introduced as the future princes of the Netherlands she could even give a speech.
We don´t really know what CW has been doing this 4 years in Monaco, if she took the trouble to learn a language, she did little more than that. Oh!!, and she stopped swimming, the only thing she can hardly do.

It seems that, appart from looking good, there are no other requirements to become a princess. Only wear an expensive dress, smile, and shut up.

I find it incomprehensible that CW has managed to live for at least four years in a French-speaking country (one that is surrounded by another very large French-speaking country), and apparently could not answer some simple, pre-programmed questions in basic French.

To me, it smacks of laziness and a kind of contempt for the country she decided to adopt of her own free will.

To me, it smacks of laziness and a kind of contempt for the country she decided to adopt of her own free will.

I agree, but, is it really true that she decided to adopt such a country?? Or is she doing this for other reasons?. I won´t name the reasons, because they are very susceptible later. This is what we suspect, the ones who do not understand what on earth she´s been doing all this time, while waiting.

Could you explain, please? I seem to be missing something....

I agree, but, is it really true that she decided to adopt such a country?? Or is she doing this for other reasons?. I won´t name the reasons, because they are very susceptible later. This is what we suspect, the ones who do not understand what on earth she´s been doing all this time, while waiting.

I think the point is that when you live in a country for a long time, whether you are good at languages or not, you try to speak the language (i.e. when in Rome do as the Romans do is an old quote). You learn it by doing simple things like going to a store and have the clerks help you. I am one that is not good at languages, but I can tell you that by the end of three weeks in France, I could ask directions, carry on in simple terms a conversation. I found that people were more than happy to help me and thrilled that I took the time to try. They all were very encouraging, and I kept making apologies for my bad pronunciations. She has been there four years with every opportunity at her feet. I think that is why some of us are having a hard time with what she has or hasn't done with her time. I think that if she had simply taken a walk around Monaco from time to time and talked to people, she would have found a warmer reception. Instead, she seems to have stayed in the Ivory Tower. I think it is one reason why people love Stephanie and forgive her for her fashion faux pas. JMO

I'm curious, does anyone know how long Prince Albert's realtionship with Alicia Warlick lasted and why did it end?

I'm curious, does anyone know how long Prince Albert's realtionship with Alicia Warlick lasted and why did it end?

There have been various reports as to why it ended. One report was that she found out about Nicole. Another report was that he was still partying a lot and making no commitments to her so she realized he was not in love with her and she ended it. I believe their relationship lasted about 3 years. She went on to earn a degree in economics from Stanford and also attended Harvard. She has never issued a public statement about Prince Albert.

I couldn't have put it better, Hibou.

CW had a chance to say just a few words at the time of "The Interview" with PPDA.
She didn't even make the effort to get a few sentences out.

How will she ever become a Monégasque ?

In some peoples eyes she will never become a Monegasque, some people will never change their mind about this "Grace wannabe", but she isn't even married to him yet, give her a chance.

And the comment about living in a country for a period of time you learn the language, I don't think thats true. I lived in Malaysia for 4 years between the ages of 10-14, I never once learnt the language because I didn't have to. That's not the same as one day being a future princess, but the point still stands.

You all assume that Charlene knew she was one day going to be a Princess, I disagree with that, even if they had some arrangement, Albert could have turned round to her one day and said nope, don't like you anymore, out. And what use would French be in SA?

I have a question, Why is Charlene criticised so heavily, when I don't think I have seen this much negative talk about someone since MM married Haakon?
Also the people who talk about her, and say things aren't even from Monaco, she isn't going to rule over you so why does her knowledge of French matter?

In some peoples eyes she will never become a Monegasque, some people will never change their mind about this "Grace wannabe", but she isn't even married to him yet, give her a chance.

And the comment about living in a country for a period of time you learn the language, I don't think thats true. I lived in Malaysia for 4 years between the ages of 10-14, I never once learnt the language because I didn't have to. That's not the same as one day being a future princess, but the point still stands.

You all assume that Charlene knew she was one day going to be a Princess, I disagree with that, even if they had some arrangement, Albert could have turned round to her one day and said nope, don't like you anymore, out. And what use would French be in SA?

I have a question, Why is Charlene criticised so heavily, when I don't think I have seen this much negative talk about someone since MM married Haakon?
Also the people who talk about her, and say things aren't even from Monaco, she isn't going to rule over you so why does her knowledge of French matter?

It's true that some will never consider her a Monegasque, however the point was that there are people on various forums that do live there and have said they never see her anywhere or get reports of her anywhere except when it's a public event. Usually in a such a small "town" word gets out quickly -- you would hear things like poor dear tries so hard to speak French or what a lovely girl. You hear absolutely nothing. There was one person I have known on a forum for years who was volunteering at an sports event where Charlene and Albert were attending. She watched her and said she could not ask for the food in French but simply pointed at what she wanted.

Of course she didn't know if she was going to get married to Albert or not, and that is not the point. The point is it appears that she was not preparing for anything, princess or post -Albert. There was no plan-B. Compare her to Chelsy Davey who got her degree and then went on to law school. She is preparing for a life post Harry, and if by chance they do get married she has something to show for her time other than coming out of nightclubs at all hours.

Charlene is heavily criticized for many reasons, and it started with her blabbing to the press constantly. It also has bothered many people when she pretended to be training for the Olympics and in fact was not. It made many people feel she was dishonest. There are so many things she has been quoted as saying over the years which were not true that people dislike her. I could go on but that's the gist of it.

How long would you give William to marry an English speaking girl if that was the case?
That would sting the English considering how proud they are of the language and one's capabilty to speak and communicate in it?
Charlene has been busy communicating with her image and not the any basic phrases of the French language. In some countries it is an effrontery to absolutely and blatantly show that you do not know any part of the language and may not care to, even if on an extended stay.
It would not have been "presumptious" of CW to have attempted to express herself in French or even to learn the language and a couple of the phrases.

I think the point is that when you live in a country for a long time, whether you are good at languages or not, you try to speak the language (i.e. when in Rome do as the Romans do is an old quote). You learn it by doing simple things like going to a store and have the clerks help you. I am one that is not good at languages, but I can tell you that by the end of three weeks in France, I could ask directions, carry on in simple terms a conversation. I found that people were more than happy to help me and thrilled that I took the time to try. They all were very encouraging, and I kept making apologies for my bad pronunciations. She has been there four years with every opportunity at her feet. I think that is why some of us are having a hard time with what she has or hasn't done with her time. I think that if she had simply taken a walk around Monaco from time to time and talked to people, she would have found a warmer reception. Instead, she seems to have stayed in the Ivory Tower. I think it is one reason why people love Stephanie and forgive her for her fashion faux pas. JMO
I agree with you hibou,
I know that when JFK visited France his wife Jackie because she knew various languages and was a linguist had a fabulous reception from the French people because of this. It prompted him to say- "I am the man who is here with Jackie" to paraphrase him at the State banquet..Once Valerie Giscard D'Estang visited Greece and made a speech phonetically in Greek- his pronunciation was off and much was wrong in elocution due to the difficulty of the language but the people became hysterical in that he attempted to speak "their" language and the feeling was like this man is trying to conquer Everest or something.The Greeks began to have a love affair with the man.So I think no matter where you are the attempt to learn the native language is what matters and the sincerity [and vulnerability you may have also]you show in your linguistic capabilties or lack thereof. It is the thought behind the effort that matters.
With CW the thought behond the effort will matter.- it is simple just like everything else.

Thanks hibou. I would never have found the exact words!!

She didn´t know she would marry Albert?? She didn´t know a year ago??
Not only taking a walk would have been wise, why not STUDY?? If she knows what it is. Maxima went to a school in Belgium, and in a year she could have a conversation in Dutch. Come on, if you want, you can. She had all day free, sh had all at her disposal.
In 4 years, you can do much more than learn a language, but this girl seems not to have a life on her own. And what most peole find disturbing and upsetting, me of course, is that she seems to be vegetating until while the day comes.
And fortunately, she will not rule over anywhere!!

Albert and Charlene the future Princess of Monaco

:ROFLMAO:I cannot comphehand the reason why Charlene is being criticized and compared with Princess Grace. Is Princess G. a Saint? and sinless with no scandall. Princess Grace was an actress and had to be groomed to be a Royal due to her acting ability she was successful. Princess Grace and her husband did not rule their country. Like every Demacratic country the heads of state including Kings, Queens and Presidents take direction from the Legislative Body. Queens, Grand Duchess and Princess like Princess Grace are given a :ROFLMAO:TEAM OF SUPPORTERS /advisers / secretaries who plan every schedule. even discuss with designers what hat they should wear to the Pantyhose. Plus their is a spin doctor: so given time and having a good team of advisers behind the scene. Chalene will do well she is ladylike, like all the princesses in Denmark, Holland, Belgium and the other countries she will do well and the people in Monace will warm up to her like they did to Grace. Some people have short memory. The People in Monaco did not want Grace at the begining eventually they got to love her. :ermm:Case closed:), please leave Charlene alone.

:ROFLMAO:I cannot comphehand the reason why Charlene is being criticized and compared with Princess Grace. Is Princess G. a Saint? and sinless with no scandall. Princess Grace was an actress and had to be groomed to be a Royal due to her acting ability she was successful. Princess Grace and her husband did not rule their country. Like every Demacratic country the heads of state including Kings, Queens and Presidents take direction from the Legislative Body. Queens, Grand Duchess and Princess like Princess Grace are given a :ROFLMAO:TEAM OF SUPPORTERS /advisers / secretaries who plan every schedule. even discuss with designers what hat they should wear to the Pantyhose. Plus their is a spin doctor: so given time and having a good team of advisers behind the scene. Chalene will do well she is ladylike, like all the princesses in Denmark, Holland, Belgium and the other countries she will do well and the people in Monace will warm up to her like they did to Grace. Some people have short memory. The People in Monaco did not want Grace at the begining eventually they got to love her. :ermm:Case closed:), please leave Charlene alone.

First of all most posters here are not comparing her to Grace, the press has at great length lately. Second, this is a discussion forum with many various opinions. With all due respect if the case is closed then so would the forum and what fun would that be? So you don't like to give Grace credit for anything according to your list but one can not say a word about Charlene. Sadly, stuff like this gets the thread closed for review. JMO

Some people have short memory. The People in Monaco did not want Grace at the begining eventually they got to love her. :ermm:Case closed:), please leave Charlene alone.
And the reason they didn't like Grace was she didn't speak French, they thought she was a snob.

Thank you, Lady MacAlpine. They didn't like Grace. And, Grace for all her charm, may not have liked them. She never relinqished her American Citizenship, even as Princess of Monaco. I am sure there are some who would have words for that. Charlene will speak French in due time, how well, who knows. Melina Premiere, your English is lovely and much better than my French, but it is still not quite the way we speak English. This is not a criticism. This is, really, admiration, that one would try, even knowing that it is not quite correct. And, yes, it is easier to read and understand than to speak. I know, because I speak several languages and over a period of years, not speaking some, it is difficult for me to speak them. I have to think about it. But I can read them, in my own pace. To all those who post here and English is a second or third language, I think it is great. It takes time to learn another language as an adult. And, as much as I admired Jackie Kennedy, she was not a linguist, she did speak very good French. But her couture and elegance was what brought her great aclaim in France. Charlene is lovely and they will love her, she just need to become more comfortable with what will become her position.

I'd like to weigh in on the issue of learning a foreign language, as I do have experience with this. :)

Each individual is different, some naturally have an innate ability to pick up languages quickly, while others not so much. The learning curve will vary with each pupil. Therefore, I give everybody the benefit of the doubt, including Miss Wittstock. For all we know, she does know basic French, having picked it up the last 4 years while staying in Monaco. She just doesn't feel comfortable enough holding a conversation in French, *yet*.

That said, if she or one of her cronies, et al is reading, I advise speaking it as much as possible. Like the old saying goes "practice makes perfect", and the only way to become fairly fluent in another language is to practice, Practice, PRACTICE! :cool: Make her fiance speak to her only in French, immerse herself in the community daily, watch only French-speaking channels, etc. etc. etc.

If she does what I describe above, I guarantee Miss Wittstock will at least be able to hold a conversation in French within the year. Yes, it's a lonely process at first, feeling like a baby, taking baby steps at first, but before you know it you're running/flying!:flowers: And most importantly the people of Monaco will appreciate Charlene's effort(s).

Of course she will make mistakes at the beginning, that's only natural, and they will see that, but the most important thing is that she will be speaking to her people in their language. So speak up, Charlene, speak up! Language is key.

ps: don't worry about all the criticisms, et al, practically every new member of the princely/royal families goes through it, similar to college hazing/initiation rituals. C'est la vie...

I'd like to weigh in on the issue of learning a foreign language, as I do have experience with this. :)

Each individual is different, some naturally have an innate ability to pick up languages quickly, while others not so much. The learning curve will vary with each pupil. Therefore, I give everybody the benefit of the doubt, including Miss Wittstock. For all we know, she does know basic French, having picked it up the last 4 years while staying in Monaco. She just doesn't feel comfortable enough holding a conversation in French, *yet*.

That said, if she or one of her cronies, et al is reading, I advise speaking it as much as possible. Like the old saying goes "practice makes perfect", and the only way to become fairly fluent in another language is to practice, Practice, PRACTICE! :cool: Make her fiance speak to her only in French, immerse herself in the community daily, watch only French-speaking channels, etc. etc. etc.

If she does what I describe above, I guarantee Miss Wittstock will at least be able to hold a conversation in French within the year. Yes, it's a lonely process at first, feeling like a baby, taking baby steps at first, but before you know it you're running/flying!:flowers: And most importantly the people of Monaco will appreciate Charlene's effort(s).

Of course she will make mistakes at the beginning, that's only natural, and they will see that, but the most important thing is that she will be speaking to her people in their language. So speak up, Charlene, speak up! Language is key.

ps: don't worry about all the criticisms, et al, practically every new member of the princely/royal families goes through it, similar to college hazing/initiation rituals. C'est la vie...

That's exactly what I was saying. If she has been in a French speaking country she should have been practicing every day. When she was elected as Honorary Chairman of that ladies charity (Sorry their name has slipped my mind) she could have accepted with a well rehearsed speech. It would have shown that she was trying. She accepted in English. Here was a golden opportunity to silence her critics. I don't speak Spanish but in an Art History course years ago I was researching an altar panel that required me to speak Spanish in my lecture. I rehearsed with a friend who was fluent so that I could at least pronounce everything correctly. The professor asked afterward if I spoke Spanish, I said no not a word. She laughed and said well you certainly put a lot of work into your lecture. You can pretty much guess what my grade was.

Prince Rainier did rule Monaco. His and Albert's power is somewhere between an absolute ruler and a Prime Minister/President. Monaco and Lichtenstein are the only 2 European monarchies that actually run their countries. The rest are figureheads.

I'm not sure I agree with Lady McAlpine and Hilda. I believe the Monagasques did not know anything about PG and were a little anxious until they got to know her. That's understandable. It's not like their leadership changes every few years, as in democracies. Monaco is a whole different world.

Back
Top Bottom