Prince Albert and Princess Charlene's Relationship - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the chances of Charlene sitting for an interview with a gossip magazine is what?
I know the Palace has favorite journalists and gives leaks of information but would they really do that?

In the past, the Palace has preferred giving interviews to Paris Match over PdV and certainly, Charlene's previous interviews have been with the likes of Paris Match as well.
As for giving interviews to gossip mags, Charlene gave an interview to A in Italy I think, though I don't remember exactly.

This is a little off the subject but yes the press will do anything. There is a picture of Queen Elizabeth and supposedly Kate Middleton. But it has been photoshopped. It was really a meeting with Bill and Melinda Gates. Kates face was photoshopped over Melinds face. So now days you can't even believe what you think you see.

I must say I like her, I really do. She has kept herself "tidy" as it were ie no former husbands or illegitimate (are we able to say that word anymore?) children. I hope she puts some respectability back into the House of Grimaldi as it's been sadly lacking in recent years.

I really do hope the engagement is not for marketing purposes. I hope it's because they truly love each other. Could it be too that Albert wants to get married so that the throne doesn't pass to Andrea, but his own child?? I wonder that.

I have to admit, Charlene has changed her look somewhat. I saw something the other day where they compared Grace and Charlene and the resemblance was unmistakable. I'm not talking about the blond hair. I'm talking about the hairstyle, clothes etc. The hairstyle Charlene has been sporting lately is really the 50s, etc. Nobody wears their hair like that anymore. I haven't seen a lot of Marilyn Monroe and Grace Kelly hairstyles.

I think Charlene is in a tight spot. She knows her role is a serious role and she knows she has to conform to that role. Maybe she feels like the best thing for her to do is to emanate Grace. I hope she's confident in her skin because if she isn't, we'll be seeing a lot of Grace flowing from her.

Absolutely true, I hope the couple are genuinely happy, and hope it is not just for marketing purposes. Though as things progress, it is starting to get more and more that feeling to it. There is alot of antics going on, like the Iggy pop concert and the Paris Match cover, etc.

When there is such effort to do these things, than a red flag goes up immediately. It is all unreal. Polishing Charlene is to be expected, but staging is not.

Also, if she is so empty that molding her into Grace is the only thing that can be done than that would raise other questions. Like was Albert purposely looking for someone of no substance that could be completely molded. Even the women that he had children with out of wedlock with seem very questionable as well. I mean could a prince find any two ladies more inappropriate to have relationships with. Was that staged as well. It all seems very fishy.

Albert had flings with ladies, he presumed, I presume, would have used birth control at this era. So, he is a father, of 2 illigitimate children. Ces't la vie. Now, he is engaged, to a lovely, young woman. I, assume, he cares for her and she for him, but that has never been a pre-requisite for royal marriages, as such. Charles, married Diana as a brood mare of good stock. He is not the first. Caroline, has a checkered past and Stephanie is a poor example of any kind of behavior. The pricipality is a non-starter in nations, except for glamour and money laundering. I hope he and Charlene are happy, at least as happy as his parents. That was no love match, but no one seems to care about that. All royals stage. No of them do anything really worthwhile, other than staging.

In the past, the Palace has preferred giving interviews to Paris Match over PdV and certainly, Charlene's previous interviews have been with the likes of Paris Match as well.
As for giving interviews to gossip mags, Charlene gave an interview to A in Italy I think, though I don't remember exactly.

The Palace, up to when Princess Grace died, preferred giving interviews to PdV. Princess Grace was a regular in that magazine, as were many of the royals at that time. Paris-Match took over, but only until the early-nineties when Princess Caroline threw a royal fit about the extensive coverage she received (and many unflattering pictures, not of her, but of her serial affairs). Then Stephanie and Albert (after the story of Alexander came out, right after his father's died) joined the frey, all of them sueing over and over again, until Paris-Match gave up, not before publishing a long article lamenting that they had always treated the Grimaldis fairly and even admiringly and affectionately and that the Grimaldis were being ungrateful.
I have no idea what the relationship is now.

Who really knows the truth about Albert and his romantic tastes. With Prince Charles you at least knew that he genuinely cared for Camilla, but married Diana out of convienience.

I mean lets say Albert is gay and used the illegitamate children out of wedlock as a front, that doesn't say much. If he is straight and indesciminately getting any woman pregnant that he meets, that doesn't say much either. If he is getting engaged as a front again for homosexulaity, it is all bogus, and if he is straight and using Charlene for simply marketing than that doesn't say much either.

It all leaves everyone flat.

The only good outcome is if he really loves Charlene, but that has yet to be truly proven.

The Palace, up to when Princess Grace died, preferred giving interviews to PdV. Princess Grace was a regular in that magazine, as were many of the royals at that time. Paris-Match took over, but only until the early-nineties when Princess Caroline threw a royal fit about the extensive coverage she received (and many unflattering pictures, not of her, but of her serial affairs). Then Stephanie and Albert (after the story of Alexander came out, right after his father's died) joined the frey, all of them sueing over and over again, until Paris-Match gave up, not before publishing a long article lamenting that they had always treated the Grimaldis fairly and even admiringly and affectionately and that the Grimaldis were being ungrateful.
I have no idea what the relationship is now.
I was born in the year Grace died, so I admittedly don't know much as I'd like to about her years in Palace, apart from what I've heard, seen and read. I just remembered that when I first starting interest in Monaco, their interview were generally in Paris Match.
Caroline seems to have developed a much greater dislike for the press than her brother or sister - perhaps because of the extensive coverage she has received, often more than either of them and sometimes (most of the time) more than both of them combined. Though, I sort of don't understand her thinking sometimes - she knows that in the position she holds, she must court public opinion. And unfortunately, that means that the negative things you do attract publicity too. But I do think there should be a line. But it seems to be a very thin one though. :whistling:

Sometimes I wonder why there is so much animosity toward Charlene. So she is not the smartest crayon in the box. So what ? Nor was Diana, and for a few years she had to carry the nickname of Shy Di.
Charlene has shown some qualities : she seems to be very well-behaved. She has shown great self-control and self-discipline in her sport,you can't take that away from her, even if a few years ago she bragged about her prowess in an untasteful way. So, then, she lacked good taste in interviews. But still, you can't take self-discipline away from her. Let's say, if you acknowledge it in Charlotte, acknowledge it in Charlene too.
We don't know what's in her mind. So, for the benefit of the doubt, let's praise her loyalty to Albert, even if it seems tainted by unbecoming behavior. But as far as we know, that passive kind of loyalty has happened only with Albert. I am not saying there aren't ulterior motives, but that is pure speculation. And also, why think that nobody would stick with Albert ? Is he that unlovable ?

iloveroyals makes some fair points. I do think she has some nice qualities, but what is annoying is what appears to be "Grace-like" fabrication, and what also appears to not be fully genuine behavior between the two.

If she can come into her own genuinely and if their relationship is truly real, and not for just marketing or some other motive, than alot of disapproval will begin to wash away.

It is not like Daniel and Victoria are some super impressive couple either, and maybe even worst because he is a man. You would hope that he would have a stronger CV behind him than what he does, and he was totally made-over to be 'appropriate' for the role. So their is great superficiality there as well, but people precieve Daniel and Victoria's relationship to be real and truly about love, and there is acceptance for it.

Albert and Charlene's relationship doesn't appear to be fully real. Something is missing. The relationship lacks soul.

Caroline and Stephanie hate being Princesses. That's why they refused titles for their children. I think the Casiraghi's are doing exactly the same thing they would be doing if they had titles. I thought Pierre was in graduate school taking law or economics?Maybe he took a year off to finish his military stint. I think both Andrea and Pierre were in the military and that's why they had the GI haircuts.

I'm sorry, I'm failing to see the big deal here. Andrea is 26, Charlotte 23 and Pierre 22 - are we expecting them to be the big leaders of Monaco? That's Albert, not them.
Sure, we can say that there are other young royals who do more, but I would urge you to think about who these people are in terms of succession. The most active of the young British royals in causes "for England" are William and Harry, sons of the Heir Apparent to the throne of Britain. Many of the most active members of young European royals in causes promoting and nurturing their country are either children of the Heir Apparent or the Heir Apparent themselves (Victoria for instance). The Casiraghis are children of the Heiress Presumptive - them keeping their place in the line of succession relies on Albert never having any legitimate children. So their place in the line of succession was never secure. I think that they are doing the right amount for who they are, succession wise. Enough so that should the time come when they must step into the role of heirs apparent, they will know what they are doing. But not so much that should Albert have children, they've wasted their time. So they won't be "tied down" so to speak at such a young age. Get what I mean?

I do-precisely. The Casiraghi parent is the heiress presumptive not the heir apparent. There's no real need at the moment, especially with Albert and Charlene getting married and potentially producing their own heir, eventually placing the Casiraghi and HRH Princess Caroline out of the line of succession. However-if Albert and Charlene chose not/don't have a heir for themselves, Andrea, Charlotte and Pierre need to be ready to step up and make themselves known as more Royal than just the "Casiraghi kids who happen to be the kids of HRH Princess Caroline." Not one of them is ready for a postion like that at the moment. Right now, they are in the same postion Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice of York are-nieces (and in the Casiraghi case-niece and nephews)of the heir/ruler. You don't see Eugenie or Beatrice performing major royal duties, do you? No. Occasional functional appearances at big events (i.e National Day, etc)? Yes.

She can't help that she has blonde hair and has a resemblance to Princess Grace.
It's not all of sudden, not by a long shot.
If she happens to look more like Grace when she is "dolled up" then what is she suppose to do? Dress in rags 24/7, dye her hair and change who she is?

And Andrea is in the same position as William of Wales, he should be doing something for his country, and so should Charlotte and Pierre.
From what i've heard Caroline is just going to pass the title to Andrea, if it should work that way.

They're marketing her as "The Next Grace", and the press is following her as if she will be "The Next Grace" but Charlene will be Charlene, no matter what happens around her. Just as Albert will be Albert, not his father.
Andrea is NOT in the same spot William is, however, he still should be doing something for his country. There just has been speculation that if Caro were to succeed Albert she would pass it to Andrea, but nothing has confirmed this.

The issue that many people here feel is that. 1) this engagement is being used primarily as a marketing tool for Monaco. 2) They are marketing Charlene as a Grace Kelly, as Paris Match clearly proves. There is a strong sense of a facade, not anything of what is genuine. It's not because she just has blond hair. Go look at Charlene early on, and look at her hair styles now, she just happend to naturally wear a circa 1955 haircut for Paris Match. It's not genuinely real. I would equally criticise Prince William if his girl started to become more and more Lady Diana in appearance.
EXACTLY. Well said.

Does anyone in the US know anyone but Grace, Rainier? Maybe Caroline and Charlotte? Albert for being just the Prince.

You are correct, after Princess Grace died, Monaco's visibility in the USA died too. Princess Grace frequently gave interviews to popular "women's" magazines. Grace, Monaco and the Grimaldi family were always on magazine covers, on display at the supermarket check-out line. Rarely did any members of the Grimaldi family gave interviews to USA magazines after Grace's death. Prince Albert did give several TV interviews to CNN's Larry King, but that was about it. Princesses Caroline and Stephanie have done charity work and have supported interesting charity endeavors outside of Monaco, but never gave USA interviews to talk about what they were doing. So, out of sight, out of mind. The majority of people “over here” don’t remember who they are. As for Charlene, not many people keep track of South African Olympic competitors. She is an unknown too.

You are correct, after Princess Grace died, Monaco's visibility in the USA died too. Princess Grace frequently gave interviews to popular "women's" magazines. Grace, Monaco and the Grimaldi family were always on magazine covers, on display at the supermarket check-out line. Rarely did any members of the Grimaldi family gave interviews to USA magazines after Grace's death. Prince Albert did give several TV interviews to CNN's Larry King, but that was about it. Princesses Caroline and Stephanie have done charity work and have supported interesting charity endeavors outside of Monaco, but never gave USA interviews to talk about what they were doing. So, out of sight, out of mind. The majority of people “over here” don’t remember who they are. As for Charlene, not many people keep track of South African Olympic competitors. She is an unknown too.
Disagree. While things have been rare in recent years...there have been several interviews by PC, and PS (most notable, I think is the 2002 Diane Sawyer interview with the two...search for Princess Caroline and family to find it on youtube), as well as the occasional interviews/appearances by PA. It's not their fault that people in the US have lost interest in the royalty...we're too busy trying to figure out Lindsay Lohan's next move to watch royalty.:whistling:

In my opinion, Caroline has been wishing for the day that Albert does not get married, and she can be the mother to the boy sitting on the monanesque throne. This is just the way I view her.
She might have taught them to be real people, but that does not affect there place in line for the throne. Just like Diana taught William and Harry to be as normal as possible, but that didn't stop them being the heir and the spare.
We don't know that she has waited 25 years to pass off her duties to his wife, I don't see why she would pass of her duties. They are hers, not someone elses.

This wedding is not going to be as high profiled as Victoria's or Williams when he gets married, because of who they are and the place they are in.
But I am still looking forward to it.

She said in an interview once that she wished he would hurry up and get married so she can pass off the majority of her duties to his wife. I believe it was around the time Rainier was trying to pressure him to get married to someone-anyone.

So you'd have him tie his entire life to his country, only for nothing to come of it? For what? A pat on the back? He is young. I don't know why we all expect these people to be great leaders in their twenties. Hell, when I was his age, it was the best I could do not to burn the toast in the morning! Are they not allowed to make mistakes, just because of who their parents are? Why is it that people always forget that these people are humans, just like us?

I haven't forgotten they are human, but he's not a normal person in his twenties.
I never said tie his entire life to his country, but I expect him to do something for his country.
There is a chance he will become Prince Of Monaco, so he should be prepared.

I haven't forgotten they are human, but he's not a normal person in his twenties.
I never said tie his entire life to his country, but I expect him to do something for his country.
There is a chance he will become Prince Of Monaco, so he should be prepared.
Yeah, I agree with that. Like I said, I think I carried this argument too far yesterday. I apologise for that. But I think we should allow for a little room for error. It's not like he's going to hit the nail on the head every time.
For now at least though, I'd prefer that he learn the way of politics and how countries run, if he's eventually going to run Monaco. I'd much rather he had experience in that than in promotion.

Okay....lets get back on topic with the relationship of Albert and Charlene.

And not the role of the Casiraghi's in Monaco.

Thank you.

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

I dont see Charlene so similar to Grace Kelly. They cant even be compared. But I am very proud for her to become princess of Monaco, even I wished Caroline was regining princess...

Absolutely true, I hope the couple are genuinely happy, and hope it is not just for marketing purposes. Though as things progress, it is starting to get more and more that feeling to it. There is alot of antics going on, like the Iggy pop concert and the Paris Match cover, etc.

When there is such effort to do these things, than a red flag goes up immediately. It is all unreal. Polishing Charlene is to be expected, but staging is not.

Also, if she is so empty that molding her into Grace is the only thing that can be done than that would raise other questions. Like was Albert purposely looking for someone of no substance that could be completely molded. Even the women that he had children with out of wedlock with seem very questionable as well. I mean could a prince find any two ladies more inappropriate to have relationships with. Was that staged as well. It all seems very fishy.

I had predicted that Charlene would be on the cover of not only Paris Match, but PdV as well...and she is also on the cover of British Hello! and the Spanish Hola!

Here in the US, there is a small article in this month's issue of Vanity Fair(referring to her as "Monaco's Grand Prix") :lol:

I honestly see nothing "fishy" about the media blitz around the engagement...especially since posters on this Forum were pronouncing it fishy only a few days ago that there was very little press coverage going on....

I think this couple in general and this woman in particular cannot win, no matter what they do. :sad:

What I don't understand why does Monaco need another Grace or someone to bring magic to Monaco. I my self think that ship sailed a long time ago Monaco is Monaco it won't get any better it was designed to be for the rich and famous. Grace brought her friends and bought glamor those day are gone and so is grace. Now Albert and Charlene and the rest of the family just have to keep it running. Rainier made sure there would be heirs to take over in case his son never married I also think Rainier made sure that Monaco was sound.

I had predicted that Charlene would be on the cover of not only Paris Match, but PdV as well...and she is also on the cover of British Hello! and the Spanish Hola!

Here in the US, there is a small article in this month's issue of Vanity Fair(referring to her as "Monaco's Grand Prix") :lol:

I honestly see nothing "fishy" about the media blitz around the engagement...especially since posters on this Forum were pronouncing it fishy only a few days ago that there was very little press coverage going on....

I think this couple in general and this woman in particular cannot win, no matter what they do. :sad:
first the reason this couple cannot win all because the media keep compare her to his dead mother with start on a bad foot to the people and Charlene had chance to improve so far nothing i don't mean walking on every celebrity red carpet talking photo to improve her statues i mean doing some clarity work in your new country Monaco and other part of the world so people can get to know you better and see you have what it takes all i have seen is one photo of her in south African with kids and the media lies about some many thing that have me wonder like her college and winning gold at the Olympic i have look at every Olympic thing there is no gold to her name that is no problem with me i just think the media think they are helping to win but they are just hurt her .listen she already got the ring i think the best this is to let prove her self i know that is long over due but compare her or spin her image or education or back ground so far it has done more harm than good i am not saying Albert should not get married infact i am all for it gesh he is over 50 that is why i think they should be more mature over this not try to let the media control this.... p.s the couple is not in the full front cover of hello but their photo is a small section of the magazine cover.:ermm:

I agree - they cannot win, whatever they do or not do, say or not say....

Also, the issue about charities Charlene has or hasn't been involved - there is no law that someone has to be involved with charities, or to have some kind of "race" to see who has the most. The Principality is awash with charities, especially those set up or fostered by the Sovereign Prince.

While I agree that it would have been nice if Charlene had been involved with Monaco charities upon her permanent stay in Monaco. For one we don't know what she has done, because she is not televised 24/7 although one would hazard to guess that most people in Monaco would have a general idea of what she looks like so if she was doing something we would know about it.

That being said, she was/is no obligation to do anything for Monaco before she is married (although) it would have been nice what matters most is what she does AFTER she marries Albert that counts the most in my book.

There was a report recently that she had become the President (or something) of the Monaco Ladies Lunch.

Does this count as charitable work?

There was a report recently that she had become the President (or something) of the Monaco Ladies Lunch.

Does this count as charitable work?
She became the [FONT=&quot]Honorary[/FONT] President.

She became the [FONT=&quot]Honorary[/FONT] President.

Like many of the Grimaldi's are Honorary somethings of organizations....we should've seen that as a clue the engagement was coming...but failed to see it.

For example, acording to the palace website:
Steph: Honorary Monaco Youth Center Presiendent, Honorary President of Princess Stephanie Activity Center, Honorary Board member of the Princess Grace Foundation U.S.A. ; President of the Organizing Committee of the International Monte-Carlo Circus Festival.(it still says "Vice-President" for the Organizing Committee of the Circus Festival...her bio must pre-date Rainier's Death)
Caro:appointed in 1979:president of the Monegasque Committee for the International Year of Children; founder Jeune J'Ecoute, Honorary President of the Guides de Monaco, which became the l'Association des Guides et Scouts de Monaco in 1992, High Patronage to the 'Peter Le Marchant Trust' located in England, Appointed 1992:president of the Garden Club of Monaco; President of the Organizing Committee of the Festival of Monte-Carlo Arts and later renamed the Printemps des Arts de Monte-Carlo (Springtime Arts of Monte-Carlo) in 1984; Rainier also appointed her President of the Princess Grace Foundation; founder of Ballet of Monte-Carlo, appointed President of The PRince Pierre Foundation by Rainier, 1993: appointed the President of l'AMADE Mondial.
Albert:Honorary President of the International Union of Modern Pentathlon and the International Athletics Foundation; Honorary Board of the International Paralympic Committee; plus pretty much anything going on in Monaco he is some how associated with as either patronizing the event or as an honorary something title.

Last edited:
I agree - they cannot win, whatever they do or not do, say or not say....

Also, the issue about charities Charlene has or hasn't been involved - there is no law that someone has to be involved with charities, or to have some kind of "race" to see who has the most. The Principality is awash with charities, especially those set up or fostered by the Sovereign Prince.

Renata, I think that has something to do with how they handled this themselves and the level of honesty that is actually involved here? I think what people are trying to say here, is that Charlene has not exactly appeared to be the most selfless person over these past years.0ne might even say she has actually shown or appeared to be the product of charity herself? And I think I am probably putting a nicer angle on this. I don't think this fact can be covered up, she was pretty public about the whole thing? Both of them were. I'm just saying if she knew there was a possibility or not, in being the Princess of Monaco one day, why not stay in SA do a little something for her own country that surely is in more need of it there? Actually as a swimmer who swam for SA in the Olympics she had the opportunity where she could have come up with something? Even if Albert was supporting her there it would have been less obvious to the rest of the world, and she wouldn't have looked quite so presumptuous. Perhaps the Monoqasques would be able to have a little more respect for her instead of her running around as if she had the job already? Albert and his PR sould have known better too, that said, Charlene is responsible for herself and her own actions or in action? If she wanted to be Princess of Monaco she should have known what to expect? I think she shouldn't expect that she could rely on the press to manufacture and deliver a less than truthful history for her. She could have enrolled in a university somewhere? Charlene has even had enough time to get a four year degree, but she didn't take it upon herself to do any of this and I think this is going to be her biggest problem in a lot of peoples eyes. I think her recent history is what is really going to raise eyebrows, because she was given a lot of opportunity. I really don't think it's fair that Charlene should be expected to have started foundations, etc..., but I don't think she should manufacture false claims either? I mean the situation is kind of obvious here? I want to point out also that in an interview as she was moving to Monaco she mentioned the charity work she planned on doing--hanging on Albert's arm is not what a lot of people consider being involved in charity? I think they are on a slippery slope here and should stay away from this subject altogether, because there are too many other people that really are involved in charity that may find this part of her profile a little offensive..Monaco does hold charitable events and they need the support of others..

Back
Top Bottom