Prince Albert and Princess Charlene's Relationship - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who would stop who ? Don't say surrealist thing, if Albert doesn't want to marry it's a choice . I think Caroline has other cares.

Hibou, I quite agree. I am a proud Bahamian. All of our professional athletes have college Degrees. A few of them have masters Degrees. I think when Debbie Ferguson retires she will study medicine. She finished her undergraduate degree in science with honours.

If you want to see clear examples of modern First Ladies , just look at Michelle Obama. A Harvard Law graduate who had a successful career. Just look at Princess Mary who has a law Degree and was successful in Real Estate. Just also look at Princess Letizia who has a Master's Degree in Journalism, and won an award for the best up and coming journalist and the list goes on They are just a few. Prince Albert will seem shallow and be the laughingstock of his social set. Last of all look at Kate Middleton and Chelsey Dasey.

For those of you who do not know who Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie is she is one of our Golden girls, Gold Medal 2000 Olympics, Sydney Australia, and Commonwealth games champion for several games. All of those ladies have degrees and won gold medals and other medals at Olympic games. Charlene's accomplishments dwarfs in comparrison to theirs.

And then we have other examples of consorts without degrees: Diana dropped out of school at 16 and was the darling of the social set and the media, if not necessarily of her husband ; Mette Marit has no university degrees but since her marriage has taken courses at LSE and Oslo, seems to be doing an admirable job as consort. Not having a degree does not make one stupid,ignorant or unclutured. Traveling the world is a great teacher and some of the most interesting people I have ever met have not walked inside a university, while some people with several academic initials behind their names can be incredibly limited in their outlook and experience of the world. FYI universities do not offer degrees in princesshood. Unless you are born to it you pretty much learn on the job.
Their relationship is what it is until one or both of them decide otherwise, and for some time now they seem to be enjoying it that way. Why not just let them live their life in peace.

Last edited:
totally agree. going to university doesn`t make you smarter. not even with an iq point. I think you should obtain a degree only if you want to pursue a career in that field. A degree means a specialization. It`s funny how people get degrees only for the sake of having them. I mean is it very usefull for Caroline to have a degree in philosophy? And many careers you see in royals are only for people`s eyes. Charlene will be soon a person who speaks two langages, has seen the world, went to operas, galas, theatre, developed a sense in fashion and refined her behaviour. I would like to think that someday all of this will become as degree in princesshood.

And the other question. Albert got a girlfriend to stop rumors. Albert will marry one day, soon I think, at least for only the same thing: to stop rumors.

totally agree. going to university doesn`t make you smarter. not even with an iq point. I think you should obtain a degree only if you want to pursue a career in that field. A degree means a specialization. It`s funny how people get degrees only for the sake of having them. I mean is it very usefull for Caroline to have a degree in philosophy? And many careers you see in royals are only for people`s eyes. Charlene will be soon a person who speaks two langages, has seen the world, went to operas, galas, theatre, developed a sense in fashion and refined her behaviour. I would like to think that someday all of this will become as degree in princesshood.

Since when did attending opera, and galas make her an expert or even knowledgeable? How can she understand what makes a singer gifted or have the background to understand the arts? What happens is she leaves it to other people who are? So thus being a princess means being a puppet? Unable to make her own decisions because she has no real knowledge? Why is it important for Caroline to have a degree? Knowledge. Plus when you obtain a degree you study many different subjects but major in one area in particular. For example, a degree in Art History not requires Art history courses but requires study in Archeology, Anthrpology, Psychology, History, Sociology, political science and so forth. Art conservation add in Chemistry etc. What does one do with the arts? Just go to a musuem for the sake of showing up in a great dress? What does she discuss with all these talented people she meets. What does she discuss with all those very successful people she meets? Herself? The weather? Then what? I could write a dissertation on your statement alone. Diana grew up in aristocracy so she had part of the background needed but she did not have an education. That was almost 30 years ago too. Royalty are to be looked up to as an example. Not having an education sends a very bad message to young girls. What message does Charlene send? An education gives you knowledge that you simply can not get just attending the opera or theatre.

Albert will not marry just to stop rumors. He's lived with them all his life. Albert will marry when and if he wants too. Until then this relationship is what it is. She has no status other than girlfriend or companion. JMO

And then we have other examples of consorts without degrees: Diana dropped out of school at 16 and was the darling of the social set and the media, if not necessarily of her husband ; Mette Marit has no university degrees but since her marriage has taken courses at LSE and Oslo, seems to be doing an admirable job as consort. Not having a degree does not make one stupid,ignorant or unclutured. Traveling the world is a great teacher and some of the most interesting people I have ever met have not walked inside a university, while some people with several academic initials behind their names can be incredibly limited in their outlook and experience of the world. FYI universities do not offer degrees in princesshood. Unless you are born to it you pretty much learn on the job.
Their relationship is what it is until one or both of them decide otherwise, and for some time now they seem to be enjoying it that way. Why not just let them live their life in peace.

My dear NGalizine, First it is nice to see you posting. Alas I'm afraid you might have just made a case for ending the monarchy in many countries. It's not about just showing up for the ball or ribbon cutting any more. The 21st century Princess is expected to have an education. Traveling is one form of an education but not an end in it's self. In Albert's case he is one of the last Princes to actually rule his country. I look to Queen Noor and now Queen Rania as examples of the modern monarchy. It's not just about the dress any more. Diana always felt the lack of education and said so publically.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you ever spoken to her to see what she has in her head? if not we can only speculate. I think that she may well recive lessons in many subjects, Albert telling her to do it, or maybe cause of her will, because of not willing to be considered just a doll. What i intended to say was that she is not condemned to be an uncultured and with limited perspective lady just by the fact she won`t get a degree. Maybe her educational status so far(study echivalation etc.) doesn`t allow her to go college somewhere in or near Monaco. Or maybe she is right now a student and we don`t know it.

i think that Albert really loves her. I mean this would be the only reason for chosing her as his partener. If he wouldn`t have chosen with his heart he would date a, how you said, cultured, older, maybe with a nobiliar title lady.
Don`t judge Charlene for her being a kept woman. Jacqueline Kennedy, a world over Charlene, was also afraid of poverty.

Education or lack of education - we do not really know,
so please stop picking at that and let's move on ..

I agree - again - with Bones in post #449, the pair seem to be happy and respect each other.
I still think that having been Olympians is a strong bond between them, and sport in general.

It is funny how the same pics might be interpreted differently.:rolleyes: I don't see any respect between PA and Charlene in any pics. IMO they seem just hanging there, pretending to be a couple for photo ops. There is no disrespect between them, but it is far away from happiness. They might be just good buddies having fun together.

They might be just good buddies having fun together.

And if that's the way they like it, there's nothing at all wrong with that. :)
:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

Exactly.
Obviously, respect for one another is a good thing. But I haven't seen any pictures where PA or CW are being disrespectful to each other. On the contrary, the pictures from their stay on Caroline's yacht speak of tenderness.

I hope they will have fun together for as long as they want.

The church for one. Rainier specifically stated so in the way he structured the constitution. Other than that, it's Albert who has said he has no plans to marry. Caroline and Stephanie can not stop Albert from anything so if you want to place blame, then it's rests on Albert's shoulders. You are entitled to your opinion of Charlene, but she is uneducated and brings nothing to the table. She is also uncultured and Grace spent a lifetime bringing the arts to Monaco. Caroline has furthered her Mother's dream. If Charlene marries Albert, it will fall to Charlene to continue it. With no background at all, all that Grace wanted for Monaco will be lost. If what you ment by modern is just prancing in front of cameras and the photo op, then I guess you are right Charlene is very modern. JMO
You could be right but I hope it all falls into place nicely. I was looking at recent photos and can see that Charlene's not as rusty as she used to be and she is dressing much better (well she did originally dress well but didn't choose dresses that flattered her and now she does). Perhaps as she gets used to the Monaco scene she'll end up every bit as cultured as Princess Grace. I'm sure that if she is serious about her boyfriend then she would be eagerly learning every day. Also, Charlene may add to the sporting culture as she is/was an olympic swimmer :flowers:.

You could be right but I hope it all falls into place nicely. I was looking at recent photos and can see that Charlene's not as rusty as she used to be and she is dressing much better (well she did originally dress well but didn't choose dresses that flattered her and now she does). Perhaps as she gets used to the Monaco scene she'll end up every bit as cultured as Princess Grace. I'm sure that if she is serious about her boyfriend then she would be eagerly learning every day. Also, Charlene may add to the sporting culture as she is/was an olympic swimmer :flowers:.

Let us all agree that P-A is taking his time to see what this woman CAN do for the image of Monaco and what she might bring to the table of her own incentive? He, in the mean time, is having fun. I, personally, think he is waiting until he passes 53, the age his mother died, to get married and have legitimate children. It could be a psychological thing, but it looks that way. Her death really shocked him.

I wonder why Charlene is still with prince Albert? What is interesting in him? Character? For me he's "immature bald big boy" but as a Prince of Monaco I think he's not so bad. Love is blind.

Honestly, I've always wonder what women sees in prince Albert becouse when I compare him with Grand Duke Henri or Prince of Lichtenstein who are in their 50' he doesn't seem to be atractive. Grand Duke Henri is 54, has 5 children, sweet lovely wife and he's so sexy and interesting man!

But maybe prince Albert is just good person and only press shows him in bad colours. We'll never know.

I wonder why Charlene is still with prince Albert? What is interesting in him? Character? For me he's "immature bald big boy" but as a Prince of Monaco I think he's not so bad. Love is blind.

Honestly, I've always wonder what women sees in prince Albert becouse when I compare him with Grand Duke Henri or Prince of Lichtenstein who are in their 50' he doesn't seem to be atractive. Grand Duke Henri is 54, has 5 children, sweet lovely wife and he's so sexy and interesting man!

But maybe prince Albert is just good person and only press shows him in bad colours. We'll never know.
Love is blind but the possibility of position and status clear sighted. Many have loathed money but few have loathed glory. The relationship confounds in some aspects ; but it thrives with Cw in Monaco and at Pa's side and we are really unaware of the inner functionings of it.

"Inmature bald big boy" hahaha, I love that sentence, but poor Prince Albert.
I agree with Jaya, the position of status seems to be more powerful than love...
However, I think Charlene knows that she will be just his girlfriend but never the bride, but as long as she has the benefits a fiancée has (as we see she has) it must not be a problem for her.

I don't agree that Prince Albert is an immature bald big boy. His worst character trait IMHO appears to have been womanizing (like many wealthy men in the jet set) but he seems well over that now days. Let's hope Charlene and Albert marry and live happily ever after. Why is she still with him? He's an excellent provider for one thing. Whether there is real love there depends on how he pulls her strings.:)

Last year reports had me taking the bait again and I really thought there was going to be wedding bells from the palace, but having been fooled again I'm now more of the opinion that if it hasn't happened by now it isn't going to. That's fine, Princess Caroline is probably the only one who would be disappointed by it, and I personally will be rather side to see the line of Rainier III pass into history, but it's getting harder and harder for me to realistically see Albert II marrying and having children at this point. I will also disagree with what some have posted around here and say that, while he's certainly not an old man he's also certainly not a young man anymore either. I am a little sad about it, and disappointed by some of his romantic antics, but he has also not had to endure a failed marriage like his sisters which would be alot harder on him as sovereign prince in any event.

I have to say I do not begrudge Albert his "freedom". He had to wait for it a long time. People often make the comparison between Prince Charles who will become King at a time when he may be too old to enjoy his status, and Prince Albert who is still young enough to enjoy his.
PA could easily be Prince for, say, another 30 years - who knows... and I say, Good luck to him!

Quite an interesting read on the different views and forays into Ye Olde Mysterious One. We absolutely do not know what, where or when in this relationship or any other with the Prince.

I distinctly remember his saying in 2005 that he was going to have a "modern reign". He hasn't, as far as I know let us know the definition of that. So there you are. He certainly seems to be doing His Way, as the song goes.

I've decided to just not be anxious, he's the Man in Charge. And as far as having a direct heir, I guess he's not too old IF he desires. Also, he is a direct, only removed from an Adopted royal situation.

The most important thing, I would think, and apparently he's taking care of his principality business and as I suppose he views his moral responsibility also--the offsprings.

Correction- only once removed from an adopted royal situation.

Please offer your opinion. I do think Prince Albert and Charlene's relationship is a bit "for show". I believe it could be in part a response to the public announcement that the Prince had fathered Alexandre Coste.

I don't think it's quite that similar. Princess Charlotte was adopted but of course never reigned, nor was her "illegitimate" status a sure thing. If I remember right Louis said they had married privately but that Prince Albert I did not give his permission hence it was not recognized by Monegasque law. Part of the reason Princess Charlotte made way for her son was because it just wouldn't be proper for a divorced woman of questionable legitimacy to be sovereign of a Catholic monarchy. Also, Louis II was not all that popular at the end of his life whereas Rainier III, and I think rightly so, was much beloved and had a great deal of real-life experience already under his belt when he became sovereign prince. So far, I don't think there has ever been an actual Monegasque monarch that was adopted.

We don't know what goes on in his mind. But he is shrewd enough to keep everyone guessing, thus guaranteeing shedloads of press coverage which then will impact - mainly positively - on his environmental and other pursuits and interests.

Once before I dared to suggest on this thread that CW is a modern reincarnation of the "Dame d'Honneur" - a bit like a Lady-in-Waiting in the British sense.

However, there already is a Dame d'Honneur in Monaco, and she's called Virginia Gallico - the elderly lady dressed in black who stands just behind the main players and sometimes looks after any children at state occasions such as the forthcoming Monaco National Day.

But again, where does that leave CW? Probably as a "companion", and someone who accompanies PA at a limited number of public appearances, as long as they are not "state-related" or "official".....

Like most men, PA just likes to have a nice-looking lady on his arm, and they rub along together well enough, as evidenced by some of this year's summer holiday pics.

Apart from that - who knows? Let them get on with it.

Who knows? I personally think they are in a real relationship but time will tell what comes of it.:)

Please offer your opinion. I do think Prince Albert and Charlene's relationship is a bit "for show". I believe it could be in part a response to the public announcement that the Prince had fathered Alexandre Coste.

"Immature bald big boy"...!!:pI am very fond of Prince Albert but I have to admit I laughed out loud and I am still laughing!

Like all of the children of Rainier and Grace Albert has his share of flaws and foibles, but just enough intelligence, humor and even dignity to make it all seem okay somehow.

Even Stephanie. She has made me cringe and thank the good Lord that her mother is not around to witness some of her antics(in the 80's and 90's) but I recently read an entire French Vogue special issue devoted to her and she is much more sensitive and serious than I had previously known,.

I think they will marry and that they have gone as far as they are able as a couple without the paper. As for the religious aspects and political ones I would not be surprised if Pa does not have a civil ceremony and revise the rest.It would have been nicer if Cw spoke French but she may well yet do it as Grace did by 'osmosis" to quote her. I just cannot see them breaking up.If anybody thinks that after four years they would break well.. I would be shocked

I suppose you're right - Charlene recently became Honorary President of "Ladies Lunch", a charitable fundraising group, and it seemed a bit strange......

I wonder what Caroline would feel if she were no longer First Lady? But then, she has a string of other roles to fulfill, in Austria, Britain etc.
Evita started like that with Ladies Lunch etc.

No way . Alex has nothing to do with CW appearing on the scene.
Pa is not one to deflect and denigrate Cw like that ever as he has shown.
If that was the case I think CW would have left by now. having understood that she is being used - or it would have taken a downward spiral.
Nothing of the sort.

I think they will marry and that they have gone as far as they are able as a couple without the paper. As for the religious aspects and political ones I would not be surprised if Pa does not have a civil ceremony and revise the rest.It would have been nicer if Cw spoke French but she may well yet do it as Grace did by 'osmosis" to quote her. I just cannot see them breaking up.If anybody thinks that after four years they would break well.. I would be shocked

:ohmy: Are you sure Charlene has not learned French already? Surely this would be a priority.

Monaco may be a defacto absolute monarchy but I don't think the people would tolerate a princess consort who could not be bothered to learn French or adopt the state religion. If Albert married her in a civil ceremony only, if she couldn't speak French and didn't become Catholic I don't think the Monegasque people would forgive him. Personally, I don't think he would do such a thing as no matter how wild the Grimaldis get from time to time, at the end of the day they always seem to know which lines you just do not cross. Even as things are now there have been grumbles that Albert II is reverting back to the pre-Rainier princes who saw Monaco simply as a source of income and could not be bothered to actually live there or be part of their people's lives. Myself, I think Albert is sensitive to that criticism, I think it's why he does carry on the local traditions that he does and I don't think he would want to needlessly provoke his people by marrying someone if she didn't seem to want to 'become' Monegasque.

Back
Top Bottom