The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Aristocracy

if they married for love thats great if they didnt thats fine as well marriage for thousands of years had nothing to do with love.
getting married for love is a victorian era invention. if they like each other and have made an agreement that she produces an heir and then is taken care of financially.
helps to raise the child but is free to live her own life i see nothing wrong with it royals have done this before its nothing new.

as long as bolth are happy with the choices they have made then good for them

Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hear, hear, doric44, you are quite right.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by doric44 View Post
if they married for love thats great if they didnt thats fine as well marriage for thousands of years had nothing to do with love.
getting married for love is a victorian era invention. if they like each other and have made an agreement that she produces an heir and then is taken care of financially.
helps to raise the child but is free to live her own life i see nothing wrong with it royals have done this before its nothing new.

It is a good idea to marry as angreement. It just get odd to read that many people believe they are in love.
Actually, an arrenged marriage has more possibilities to survive than a love match.
We shall see what will happen with Albert and wife.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Courtier

I don't think all that many people agree that it is love/or not .... I don't think many people CARE what it is ... it seems it is important to SOME people that it is not love. Why would any of us care one way or the other. I don't see the importance in trying to get people to agree that it's NOT love. People should just give it up .......... people are going to believe what they want to believe and are not going to change their minds. What's the point of the argument anyway???
Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by doric44 View Post

Well said and I totally agree.
I just love the idea of a fairytale. Being in love, marry and making babies
But as long as they are happy with their choices it's fine with me
Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder whether some people might have a problem because Charlene is from Africa. Obviously it's not racism, because she's blond and from European stock. But people do have misconceptions about Africa. I, personally, know of a couple of kids--sons of a missionary couple who moved back to Canada after four years in Africa--who were regularly called "jungle boy" and "gorilla" by the kids in school. And this was just because they spent four years living in Africa! They were also put back a year in school--without testing--because it was assumed that the education system in Africa was behind the Canadian one. So there is a prejudice against Africa in general, not just racism against black Africans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I'm just puzzled why it is this person especially and I have to think it also has much to do with her beauty.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Administrator

I don't think racism has anything to do with it.

If you have followed this relationship from the beginning, people have always had doubts about this relationship and frankly don't think Charlene is good enough for Albert or that this is a legtimate relationship.

How you would know this unless one personally knows the couple, I don't know...but there you have it.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding the article on Albert and Charlene's honeymoon have been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1286253 .

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I don't think racism has anything to do with it.

If you have followed this relationship from the beginning, people have always had doubts about this relationship and frankly don't think Charlene is good enough for Albert or that this is a legtimate relationship.

How you would know this unless one personally knows the couple, I don't know...but there you have it.
And clearly THEY are in a position of such superiority to be able to make such a judgement.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I wonder whether some people might have a problem because Charlene is from Africa
The same question has been asked about Mary of Denmark having come from Australia.

Who knows really. Everyone has their detractors and women who marry high profile VIP's have long been the target of jealousy and contempt.

Females are intrinsically 'bitchy', that's no revelation. So it shouldn't surprise many that the offending vitriol is predominately expressed by women.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Nobility

I just hope Charlene is happy with Albert, but something tells me they won't make it past five years and perhaps 2 or 3 children. There's 20 years in age between them, and he has a reputation as a ladies' man and 2 illegitimate children to prove it. I just don't see it lasting.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Funny, it is only of late that this reputation of "being a ladies man" exists. I thought he was gay, which was fine, as he was never mentioned with any ladies and then came the children. And it was amazing that Jazmin surfaced, years later, when Coste was making a grab for monetary reward for Alexandre. And, yes, Madame Royal, some people must find fault, with those who seem to have made a bigger stake in life. I do not know what the future will bring them, but no one else does, either. Supposition, that is all.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Funny, it is only of late that this reputation of "being a ladies man" exists. I thought he was gay, which was fine, as he was never mentioned with any ladies and then came the children. And it was amazing that Jazmin surfaced, years later, when Coste was making a grab for monetary reward for Alexandre. And, yes, Madame Royal, some people must find fault, with those who seem to have made a bigger stake in life. I do not know what the future will bring them, but no one else does, either. Supposition, that is all.
Albert has been linked to many women over the years. Where have you been? Naomi Campbell, Olympian Mary Wayte, Brooke Shields, Lisa Marie Presley, Angie Everhart, Alicia Warlick, Daryl Hanna are only a few.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
Albert has been linked to many women over the years. Where have you been? Naomi Campbell, Olympian Mary Wayte, Brooke Shields, Lisa Marie Presley, Angie Everhart, Alicia Warlick, Daryl Hanna are only a few.
Yes his name was linked with many interesting ladies over the years but at the same time there were many people, no doubt including some posters on these boards, who claimed that he was gay and that they knew this to be fact. Then these children popped up so now he his the playboy of the western world, so it was a no win situation for him,.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

The women Albert was linked to over the years were more or less famous "walkers", all the same type. I never thought that he had a serious relationship with one of them. My impression has always been that he is playing on both ends of the field, who knows.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'm sure that P.Charlene's ability to birth babies was checked and verified.
According to Prince Rainier, Grace Kelly's reproductive capacity was not checked before they became engaged and married, contrary to popular myth. He denied it on the record in 1988 when he co-operated with the book, "Rainier and Grace". He noted that they could have adopted if they had failed to conceive. I understand that option is no longer available for the Grimaldi Princes, but if Albert put Charlene through any tests like that and she submitted to them instead of telling him where he could "go" - then I would have no sympathy for her no matter how Albert behaves.

Personally, I believe there is a genuine friendship and love between them, though perhaps they're not "in love", but IMHO, liking one's partner is what gets marriages through the rough times while the emotion of being "in love" can grow from friendship, and it will ebb and flow as is the norm for every couple I've ever known who has made it past the honeymoon phase.

I think today's expectation of always being madly in love with your spouse as advocated by films and romance novels is partly responsible for the current high divorce rate. Love and commitment in marriage are often decisions to be affirmed over and over again when romance takes a back seat to crying children and worries about the mortgage, for example. If Albert and Charlene have this attitude then I would wager they will last until "death do them part" and that romantic love will also spark between them if it has not already.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post

... but IMHO, liking one's partner is what gets marriages through the rough times ....

I think today's expectation of always being madly in love with your spouse as advocated by films and romance novels is partly responsible for the current high divorce rate. Love and commitment in marriage are often decisions to be affirmed over and over again when romance takes a back seat to crying children and worries about the mortgage, for example....
That's also my thoughts on lasting relationships - romance and "beeing in love" is highly overrated and a lot of people have a "romantic" notion about marriage - that's why they are so disapointed in live and their partner ... . in the end

A good marrige is much more about respect, friendship and sharing once trouble than about romance ... it's more like a wholesome meal than chocolate cream
Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
That's also my thoughts on lasting relationships - romance and "beeing in love" is highly overrated and a lot of people have a "romantic" notion about marriage - that's why they are so disapointed in live and their partner ... . in the end

A good marrige is much more about respect, friendship and sharing once trouble than about romance ... it's more like a wholesome meal than chocolate cream
Being in love is not incompatible with being down-to-earth and willing to go together through the difficulties. At the contrary, many people who commit themselves into weddings, and in christian wedding, know their relation has to be built again and again every day if they want it to last forever.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 AM
Heir Apparent

The trouble is that PA has shedloads of "chocolate cream", and few wholesome meals as Nice Nofret puts it.

So, how, at his age, will he learn these lessons? He is 53....
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
Being in love is not incompatible with being down-to-earth and willing to go together through the difficulties. At the contrary, many people who commit themselves into weddings, and in christian wedding, know their relation has to be built again and again every day if they want it to last forever.

Quite right - only the second part is likely to be forgotten - after the romance has gone

But back to A & C: it still leaves one wonder, what SHE hopes to get out of it. For him it's quite clear to me .. it's about an heir .. her motive?

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship