The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
So we are all starting to accept the possibility that this marriage was arranged?
If a marriage for love turns difficult in a few years, what can we expect from one without love, where the parties do not feel any physical attraction? Sorry but the kisses both at the civil and church ceremonies looked weird.
You miss the big difference between an arranged marriage and a couple having made an arrangement.

An arranged marriage implies the outside influence of a 3rd party. A couple make an arrangement between themselves knowing what they want out of the relationship. It does not imply a lack of love or attraction or affection or respect but merely reflects that 2 mature people have lived a bit and know that long lasting relationships are not about youthful lust and fairytales about soulmates. They know what they want out of life and believe that can achieve it together,which seems like a pretty mature approach to life and love IMO.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ranier and Grace made an arrangement between themselves and brokered by Father Tucker. They hardly could have been in love, they barely knew each other. He picked her, becuase she was a beautiful, American actress. She must have wanted to be a princess. It worked out, better than some of the "love matches".

Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Ranier and Grace made an arrangement between themselves and brokered by Father Tucker. They hardly could have been in love, they barely knew each other. He picked her, becuase she was a beautiful, American actress. She must have wanted to be a princess. It worked out, better than some of the "love matches".
My parents meet had 4 dates and were married for 2 months short of 56 years. A few days before Dad died he talked about how he loved her as much then as when they meet. Rainier and Grace exchanged letters from when they meet until they became engaged. You can sometimes learn more about a person from their letters than in person because you both have time to think about what you would like the other person to know about you.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Arranged Marriage / Wikipedia Arranged marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arguments for and against arranged marriage
[edit] For

There are several arguments in favour of arranged marriage. Some of the most popular are:
  • Modern arranged marriages, in contrast to classical ones, are not based on proscriptions but on pragmatic considerations. Often, parents can contribute to the offspring's life by utilizing the benefits of experience to choose the right mate for him/her. The common misconception is that the concept of arranged marriages imply traditional male-female duties. Modern Western societies have also started practising arranged marriages in a cosmopolitan setting.[12][13]
  • Statistics place the divorce rate for arranged marriages much lower than those in the United States, where marriages out of love are the norm.[14]
  • Allow individuals that may have hard time finding a mate such as socially inept, disabled and etc. to find a mate and get married.
Against
Amongst the arguments against arranged marriage, the most prominent are:
  • Arranged marriage is as good or as bad as the people arranging it. A forced mismatch, based on the values important to the arranger may not be as important to the parties involved.
  • A further condemnation of the practice of arranging marriage for economic reasons comes from Edlund and Lagerlöf (2004) who argued that a love marriage is more effective for the promotion of accumulation of wealth and societal growth.
[15]
Old 07-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Nobility

I'm seeing a worldwide conspiracy to bring this marriage down; media and forum members alike. Does it serve any real purpose other than poisoning and undermining the vows taken by real people who have a real existence complete with feelings?

I for one am starting to feel very bad about contributing to the negativity against Albert and Charlene. What will become of their life together, will be. But we don't need to start ringing the death knell. I'm getting off this train and will pray for the best for them. Can I invite others to do the same?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick View Post
I'm seeing a worldwide conspiracy to bring this marriage down; media and forum members alike. Does it serve any real purpose other than poisoning and undermining the vows taken by real people who have a real existence complete with feelings?

I for one am starting to feel very bad about contributing to the negativity against Albert and Charlene. What will become of their life together, will be. But we don't need to start ringing the death knell. I'm getting off this train and will pray for the best for them. Can I invite others to do the same?
I have never been the biggest fan of the conspiracy theory, so I won't enter into this kind of debate. But I have discussed a little the matter of the religious wedding and the wedding sacrament with catholic people and they felt this wedding as hypocrit and highly doubted of the validity of a wedding in which one of the people concerned is known for loving women. There are many other royals about whom one could have said that (I am thinking to one particularly). But if he has been Albert Grimaud, worker in Nice, and not HSH Albert II, Prince of Monaco, the church wouldn't have been so kind and accomodating to allow him to commit himself in such a beautiful sacrament. This particular point does not serve Monaco's reputation, which is very low for a whole part of France.
I can only wish they have both received the blessings of the sacraments and that they will both live and act like catholic spouses.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Heir Apparent

World-wide conspiracy ? I think not.

Every individual has a conscience - whether they're Catholic or not.
It's up to the individual to shape his/her thoughts and actions.

My mother's family (all Catholics) are very scathing about PA and his lifestyle. In their eyes, PA is giving the Catholic faith a bad name ...
Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Every individual has a conscience - whether they're Catholic or not.
It's up to the individual to shape his/her thoughts and actions..
At last an intelligent comment!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Courtier

Sadly, even if all these rumours turn out to be false and they stay together for years, bring up a family people will always say ... oh well they had to stay together for the children, oh well they had to stay together for the country, oh well they had to put on a brave face.

So many people were looking forward to this wedding after the engagement and sadly everything has become tainted and soiled .... guilty by association i.e. oh there must be some grain of truth in it. Albert is damned now if he makes a public statement, damned if he doesn't. There is not a spin doctor in the world who can get him out of this mess now. I wonder if this is all putting even more pressure on their relationship which of course in turns put a strain on the marriage too. A very sad situation indeed for them. I think he needs some very smart/savy Palace advisers now. My advice to Albert: The show must go on, let them say what they want, keep smiling as Queen Mary (Elizabeth II Grandmother) once said ---- never complain, never explain. Stiff upper lip and all that!!! Whatever Albert says the press will only use it against him. Albert and Charlene are in choppy waters at the moment .... lets hope the ship reaches calmer waters soon.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Angieuk, you're right about the Press, advisors etc.
But if he puts his trust into people like that self-seeking buffoon Stéphane Bern, then it's no wonder he's up the creek without a paddle.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick View Post

I've never been on that train, but I'm glad to help you down the steps. I feel that as soon as things calm down and A & C's real life begins, they will wether the weather --- I think two high-profile weddings so close together is making selected people crazy.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I've never been on that train, but I'm glad to help you down the steps. I feel that as soon as things calm down and A & C's real life begins, they will wether the weather --- I think two high-profile weddings so close together is making selected people crazy.
Real life begins? What are you talking about? Her real life hasn't begun because there's nothing pretty to talk about!!

Some people...
Old 07-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Please. They got married to have children, didn't they? isn't that what all people say here? What if she can't get pregnant naturally? what will she do, have a surrogate mother?
In vitro can be used by this woman. And, if she ever has kids, and it results they are twins, i know people here will think that is a God gift, when actually it would be anything less that. It would be the result of in vitro or any other medical procedure.
I'm sure that P.Charlene's ability to birth babies was checked and verified.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yeah, which makes me believe how in love these coulpe are. Full of romanticisim!!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

And, again, I give up...
Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And, again, I give up...
Yeah, i think we had enough fun for today.
Anyway, see you around the forums!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
A doctor can only say there is nothing to prevent a Lady to have babies but you can NEVER be sure. There are lots of unfertile Ladies around where the sterelity is "psychological" (= unexplained) while the "apparatus" works perfectly well !
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness

As I see it, Prince Albert is a royal who happens to be Catholic. Whether or not he practices his faith or not is his business. To my knowledge no one is perfect in practicing their faith and despite what some people say, they are not 100% (there's always something even if its minor that isn't 100%). Hopefully he will be faithful to his wife in his marriage.

If he were a leader or official in the Catholic church or if he were the figure head defender of the faith like Queen Elizabeth is or if he was critical of others who didn't practice the Catholic faith or who failed to do so, then it would be different. He hasn't done nor would he ever do this. Prince Albert is not an official of the Catholic Church, nor were his parents, siblings or other family members.

Regardless of their religious background or upbringing, I imagine if you looked closely into the lives of other royals, they probably don't follow their religious teachings 100% of the time during their lifetime, especially during their youth.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Yeah, which makes me believe how in love these coulpe are. Full of romanticisim!!
You want romance go watch The Notebook or some other fake romantic movie. Charlene and Albert, along with the rest of us, live in the real world where life is messy and romance dies a quick death.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
You want romance go watch The Notebook or some other fake romantic movie. Charlene and Albert, along with the rest of us, live in the real world where life is messy and romance dies a quick death.
I highly doubt they live the real world. Really.
And here, less people live the real world. Only here people live the fairy tale world, where the exquisite Princess Charlene, the most gorgeous of all, is the best thing that could have ever happened to Monaco.
That's mostly people opinion here. And when i try to show another face, they all attack me because i can`t find the perfection that everybody here finds in Charlene.
Is this one sided forum where we only are allowed to say Charlene is gorgeous and that's it?

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship