The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think you will find many posters who would agree with you, especially at the moment when the marriage is being organised.

Me? I'm sitting on the fence....

Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Hopefully Charlene will have Graces' quality to stay even though there will be frustration, disappointment etc.
Albert knows all too well that under different circumstances his parents would have divorced and, hopefully, therefore chose a wife who will be able to put up with anything that might occur in the future. Whether there is any inner understanding or any inner understanding will possibly develop in years to come and whether it will be enough to stay married I dont know.

I certainly dont believe in any fairytale between Albert & Charlene, they might be trying to sell it but without themselves believing in it, same as Rainier & Grace.

I tend to rather see the cynical side, Albert needs an heir and a wife who is willing to sell herself out to him. In the long run, I dont see them divorce but leading separate lives, each of them doing what they want to do, something that is already clear for them at this stage.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

That's more or less what I feel.
The odds are stacked against them - age difference .... cultural differences ... language problems .... but they may pull through as long as they don't start to believe in that "fairytale" of their own making.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I tend to rather see the cynical side, Albert needs an heir and a wife who is willing to sell herself out to him. In the long run, I dont see them divorce but leading separate lives, each of them doing what they want to do, something that is already clear for them at this stage.

That's what I think as well.
However, it doesn't necessarily mean they are letting themselves in for unhappiness.

All she needs to do is give Albert an heir, and make a good appearance on his arm at public events, In return she will have position, status, wealth.

Not a bad bargain. And hopefully they will develop a strong and supportive friendship.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
I really don't think that marriage of CW and PA would last. They seem already bored with each other. Especially Albert is more relaxed and appears happier when he is NOT with Charlene. it's very weird couple, BTW, they even don't behave like a couple, IMO...

I agree. They never looked like a couple, even though they tried to sell as their love story and at the Gran Prix they hold hands as if they were teenagers for the first time!! I do think the marriage will last, CW is ambitious enuogh to endure any obstacles, even unhappiness. Thatīs the main reason whay I dislike her so much. Because she prefers to spend her life with someone who looks annoyed and bored with her, give him a heir, and in return receive a title.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
I really don't think that marriage of CW and PA would last. They seem already bored with each other. Especially Albert is more relaxed and appears happier when he is NOT with Charlene. it's very weird couple, BTW, they even don't behave like a couple, IMO...
And so you've said many, many times before.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Courtier

We don't know about their relationship, but if you check the history of arranged marriages, you will find that sometimes they end up being true love. In days gone back many people married out of necessity and actually ended up having good marriages. My study of family genealogy has shown many cases and if both parties enter the marriage with eyes wide open it can work.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I agree. They never looked like a couple, even though they tried to sell as their love story and at the Gran Prix they hold hands as if they were teenagers for the first time!! I do think the marriage will last, CW is ambitious enuogh to endure any obstacles, even unhappiness. Thatīs the main reason whay I dislike her so much. Because she prefers to spend her life with someone who looks annoyed and bored with her, give him a heir, and in return receive a title.
And, of course, you personally, know these things. Not knowing anyone concerned, just speculation. His mother married a complete stranger, but that, some how, is never attacked. And they had less in common. They made a life, together, perhaps, not perfect, a nice life. Give them a chance. So,and let them live.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Majesty

They seem more affectionate with one another now than I have seen them in five years, smiling, relaxed, always holding hands.

As I have pointed out many times, every couple has their own "style".

Some people on another Forum are already speculating that William's body language with his new bride seems to indicate that he is fond of and comfortable with her, rather than wildly in love. I don't agree, but it goes to demonstrate that one poster can see Romeo/Juliet, while another can see....something else.

If the PA/CW marriage does fail, it will not surprise me because the Grimaldis don't seem to be that good at either marriage or picking suitable partners for the long term.

But right now, I am optimistic. I get the feeling that they are both where they want to be.

I think we need at least a year before we start launching doomsday predictions, anyway.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
And, of course, you personally, know these things. Not knowing anyone concerned, just speculation. His mother married a complete stranger, but that, some how, is never attacked. And they had less in common. They made a life, together, perhaps, not perfect, a nice life. Give them a chance. So,and let them live.

And if I donīt know them personally I cannot express what they look like together? You do, or do you know them?

Anyway I didnīt say anything so serious. Sheīs selling her Cinderella story, which I donīt believe for a minute, but anyone is entitled to believe her if it makes anyone happier. Some people like these stories.
The comparison with her mother is a little unfair to Grace. At least she deserves some respect for having personal rather than only social ambitions.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Do you think she's going to get the same press coverage as Princess Diana did?
only if i am the queen of england...im just jokeing there is no way-she dosent have the "it" factor
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Once the "wedding" is over, we won't hear quite so much about the two of them. They won't be able to keep up the hype for very long.
Normality will take over.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Once the "wedding" is over, we won't hear quite so much about the two of them. They won't be able to keep up the hype for very long.
Normality will take over.
... unless Charlene gets pregnant soon after the wedding keep the hype going!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd forgotten - they're having a protracted honeymoon, with a sort of re-run of the Monaco wedding, but in South Africa!

But I think I'm in the wrong thread for this .....
Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Thank you Countess for pointing out the fact that this is all speculation. I think that people like PA and Charlene probably have public and private personas. I doubt they reveal their real selves to interviewers. While they are giving plenty of interviews and seem to be revealing themselves to us I still say they retain a privacy about their relationship that we will never see. Also, PA has been drilled since birth to show a public face, to be decorous in public, etc--can't imagine why he would change now. Charlene must be overwhelmed by the intrusiveness of the press into her private life--I know I would be! So, yes Countess you are right--let them live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
... unless Charlene gets pregnant soon after the wedding keep the hype going!
OUCH!!! I would think she will have a baby pretty quickly for lots of reasons but "hype"? No offense intended but how about he is 53 and she is 33? PA has, from the looks of it, wonderful relationships with his nieces and nephews and he has said he wants a family. Charlene has said several times how much she wants children. So, given the fact of their ages--I would say age and time would be major factors in their having children pretty quickly.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, she should wait for a few months, just to not be compared to Grace, once again. Remember Grace married in April and 9 months later, on January she delivered Caroline. So that makes one think that she got pregnant in the honeymoon.
So, if Charlene doesn't want to be compared (as she says she doesn't want to) to her mother in law, she should wait for a couple of months and then get pregnant if she wants. Just a suggestion, of course they can do whatever they want.

If nature doesn't help, they always have in vitro.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Courtier

The future is uncertain at the moment with this dark cloud hanging over them.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
If nature doesn't help, they always have in vitro.
That is one of the most insensitive commentaries I have ever read. Being infertile is a strong suffering for a couple and in vitro is everything but an enjoyment: it is a heavy, painful and often humiliating procedure. Moreover, it is not a baby slot machine and it has a high rate of failure.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Sancia, I agree. Let's hope that PA and CW are able to go through the "normal" process. As it is, the press will be there, almost with a stopwatch, or a diary, to check the progress of any pregnancy.

"Bunte" are particularly unpleasant in this respect. They refer to "the bump" as a Babybauch (baby belly).
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Arlette View Post
PA has, from the looks of it, wonderful relationships with his nieces and nephews and he has said he wants a family. Charlene has said several times how much she wants children. So, given the fact of their ages--I would say age and time would be major factors in their having children pretty quickly.
Yes, getting an heir is the whole point of the excercise. Otherwise there wouldnt have been a wedding.
Hopefully Charlene has got some substance or can develop some because her voice might become an imporant one in Monaco, nobody knows when the last hour has come (Grace suddenly died in Albert's age) and Charlene might end up with an underaged kid, all eyes on her.
I am sure there will be "grey men" to take care in this case but being the Princess and the next Prince's mother is not a bad position either.

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship