The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is nothing wrong with a marriage of convenience. He gets his needs met and she gets her needs met, without a whole lot of nailbreaking. I'd like for them to have an heir. Perhaps Charlene would like to have a large family. The children would be well provided for, which is difficult to do as a single mother. There are all kinds of reasons to marry for convenience. All this talk about love is making me kind of puky (or is that puque in french).

Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Some really sage advice from you two ladies !!

The more I read of this kind of advice, the more I feel that PA and CW have nothing to worry about.

Zonk did make a strong plea (in so many words) for letting the two alone to create their own contented marriage, regardless of age, money, or the scrutiny of the whole world.

Anything we posters add to it is probably not worth the ink - or rather the characters on the screen.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
There is nothing wrong with a marriage of convenience. He gets his needs met and she gets her needs met, without a whole lot of nailbreaking. I'd like for them to have an heir. Perhaps Charlene would like to have a large family. The children would be well provided for, which is difficult to do as a single mother. There are all kinds of reasons to marry for convenience. All this talk about love is making me kind of puky (or is that puque in french).

Many women marry for convenience. They prefer rich, famous men, even if they are old, and they are not in love. But you cannot insinuate that in the forum, because they will answer that you hate CW, and leave her alone, and give her a break.
Whatever her reasons are, in a few years we will feel pity for her.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I took the opportunity to read through the Danish thread on Frederik and Mary's engagement. In retrospect it is quite funny because comments about Mary were quite similar, and in some cases much worse, to what people say about CW on this thread and others here.
People called Mary cold, unsmiling, a shrew who gave up on love to snag a crown, a golddigger who set out to marry a prince, speaking with a fake English accent, sounding illiterate in both English and Danish, speaking very poor Danish for someone who had 14 months of private Danish lessons, unfashionable , unable to live up to Queen Ingrid's legacy. They also compared Mary very unfavorably to Princess Alexandra. They spoke of how obviously in love Alexandra and Joachim were and said they could tell from just looking at the pictures that while Frederik was in love with her Mary wasnt in love with him. Now 6 years after the marriage, Joachim and Alexandra are divorced, Mary is a fashion icon, people speak of how in love they look, compliment her on her Danish and she is probably the most popular member of the DRF.
It is quite possible that in 5 or 6 years from now we will read these old threads and say "God, what were people thinking, why the need for bashing". I certainly hope so. JMO of course.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

The idea that you can tell how "in love" a Royal couple is by looking at photos is a fairly recent one...and at the risk of sounding like a snob it is also very bourgeois and silly. These are not showbiz personalities, they are Heads of State for crying out loud!

If you look at photos of many Royal couples like George V and Queen Mary and even more recent ones like Henri and Maria Thersa of Luxembourg or Pavlos and Marie-Chantal of Greece, you might be convinced that they are miserable together.

Yet all of the above were and are the most solid of couples...every couple has their own "style" together.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Aristocracy

Pr. Albert now gets caught looking at CW in longer glances. He smiles more. She touches him all the time in public now which they had been restraining from for years except in darkened restaurants in remote places (pix in Suiss for example). They appear more in love after 5 years than most people I know who have been married. she must have worked hard to be at the point where she is comfortable getting married. I would just like to see how this goes.

Does anyone have a link to that Paris Match composite picture from about 10 yrs ago where they put together a picture of what they thought his future choice would look like?? She looks JUST LIKE what their psychologists predicted. I find that interesting!

Cheers all !!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Heir Apparent

It's nice to hear / see that both of them feel able to be more relaxed and open than they have ever appeared.

Perhaps the necessity to keep things under wraps may have made their times together more precious and exciting !
Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline View Post
Pr. Albert now gets caught looking at CW in longer glances. He smiles more. She touches him all the time in public now which they had been restraining from for years except in darkened restaurants in remote places (pix in Suiss for example). They appear more in love after 5 years than most people I know who have been married. she must have worked hard to be at the point where she is comfortable getting married. I would just like to see how this goes.

Does anyone have a link to that Paris Match composite picture from about 10 yrs ago where they put together a picture of what they thought his future choice would look like?? She looks JUST LIKE what their psychologists predicted. I find that interesting!

Cheers all !!
ICAM...and they could not keep their eyes off one another at the most recent Red Cross Ball. They seem relieved, relaxed AND content now that the pressure is off.

I remember hearing about the Paris Match article but I never saw it. However, PA has a "type"...I always knew that if he married at all, the woman would be tall and rather glamorous, and on the athletic side.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline View Post
Cheers all !!
Albert is too predictable. Here you are:
Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 AM
Heir Apparent

More like Claudia Schiffer than Charlene.

CW doesn't have the magnetism of, say, Tasha de Vasconcelos or Claudia, but I expect she'll do well despite it :-)
Old 08-26-2010, 01:43 PM

I think he has been somewhat as predictable as they say with his choice, but not exactly. The media likes to say one of two things about Albert and relationships: 1) he's gay, or 2) he loves women and prefers models.
But the one is wrong and the other is a generalization and not quite accurate.
He does like models, for sure, but always went for either a very sporty model, or an athlete who might pass for a model. I think the sporty type is key for him. He likes athletic women, period, and young ones! Even Nicole Coste looks like she can at least wack the heck out of some tennis balls. (OK, that doesn't sound good.) The only exception I can think of is Jazmin's mom.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
Many women marry for convenience. They prefer rich, famous men, even if they are old, and they are not in love. But you cannot insinuate that in the forum, because they will answer that you hate CW, and leave her alone, and give her a break.
Whatever her reasons are, in a few years we will feel pity for her.
To the contrary, I'm a fan of Charlene; but, if people want to say I "hate" her, let them. As for your specific comment "Whatever her reasons are, in a few years we will feel pity for her." I need to ask what crystal ball you're gazing into. I too would prefer a rich, famous man...nuttin' wrong with that!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Courtier

Talking

I think Albert is a little on the portly side but it's all good. Just save me a seat at the wedding!!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
To the contrary, I'm a fan of Charlene; but, if people want to say I "hate" her, let them. As for your specific comment "Whatever her reasons are, in a few years we will feel pity for her." I need to ask what crystal ball you're gazing into. I too would prefer a rich, famous man...nuttin' wrong with that!!!

I had never seen a young woman marry a poor old man. Money must be an aphrodisiac!!! Especially if they are granted living in a palace, parties, jewlery, only to name a few advantages. My comment was not based in a crystal ball ( if the explanation is necessary) but in my impression that this couple is the product of an agreement. I donīt see them as a couple and i donīt believe in this "love story". People have many reasons to marry. We have discussed this already. Itīs getting a little repetitive.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Aristocracy

I agree. I just hope that this "love story" is not a repeat of the Princess Diana story, where she finds that he husband has had a secret love affair with a woman his own age. In addition, I hate to see any woman compromise herself for the sake of notarity. If you look at her photos from early on and compare them to now, i think she looked more natural and more beautiful in the latter. Charlene looks to me now aged, her body, he hair, and her teeth, her teeth are so squared off they just don't look right.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I also agree with Christine and Rosana.
We've gone over the "Diana" situation quite a number of times, and also over the "Is it love?" argument.
Whether we think it's love or not, nobody can know for certain - maybe not even the couple concerned.
I concur with Christine that CW has lost some of her natural beauty and has turned into a "product".
But maybe, just maybe, there is a kernel of genuine affection between the two, and we may just have to be content with that.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I took the opportunity to read through the Danish thread on Frederik and Mary's engagement. In retrospect it is quite funny because comments about Mary were quite similar, and in some cases much worse, to what people say about CW on this thread and others here.
People called Mary cold, unsmiling, a shrew who gave up on love to snag a crown, a golddigger who set out to marry a prince, speaking with a fake English accent, sounding illiterate in both English and Danish, speaking very poor Danish for someone who had 14 months of private Danish lessons, unfashionable , unable to live up to Queen Ingrid's legacy. They also compared Mary very unfavorably to Princess Alexandra. They spoke of how obviously in love Alexandra and Joachim were and said they could tell from just looking at the pictures that while Frederik was in love with her Mary wasnt in love with him. Now 6 years after the marriage, Joachim and Alexandra are divorced, Mary is a fashion icon, people speak of how in love they look, compliment her on her Danish and she is probably the most popular member of the DRF.
It is quite possible that in 5 or 6 years from now we will read these old threads and say "God, what were people thinking, why the need for bashing". I certainly hope so. JMO of course.
I am absolutely with you. Everyone has the right to like Charlene or not, but it makes me laugh so hard when I see some criticism on her looks. That she is ugly, aging, has crooked teeth and so on and so forth... Come on, it's beyond ridiculous.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:22 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I had never seen a young woman marry a poor old man. Money must be an aphrodisiac!!!...
No, but power is and money is power.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Nobility

Just maybe they really like each other. It friendship relationship. Between those two.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMarine View Post
Albert is too predictable. Here you are:
Pardon my ignorance but who is that? Karen Mulder?

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship