The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Hilda, Monaco is definitely NOT a protectorate of any other state. It is a sovereign state, with a Sovereign Prince.

I believe that, in years to come, the current influence of the French Republic will wane gradually. The customs union between the two is to the advantage of both countries, and it's rather handy not having to have their own police and military set-up.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I thought I read somewhere on the Monaco government website that marriage doesn't automatically make the spouse a citizen and that you have to wait 5 years to apply for citizenship.
Quote:
By marriage

A foreign woman can apply for Monégasque citizenship through a right of option after five years of marriage on condition that the spouses live together. In the case of the husband's death, she has to provide evidence that her widowhood was not followed by remarriage.
Nationality law of Monaco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However, the Prince can waive requirements when he chooses. With the law in SA being the way it is he might have to.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Serene Highness

Monaco is a fully independent country. They have an Embasssy in Washington, DC and a consulate in NYC. Also, a seat at the UN. France still does provide them with military protection.

I thought I read in one of the articles on PA and Charlene's engagement that both PS and PC had been training Charlene about protocal, etc. and would continue to help her.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Serene Highness

If Albert is marrying Charlene just to get a heir, it is very sad and he will be unhappy soon. Like many others I don't buy a love story of A & C, many things don't seem right between them.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Fan of Monaco, I think there's only so much training on protocol that can be taught, and CW must have seen all the parades and other events repeatedly.
In any case, the Palace staff is supposed to deal with all this.

Lakhshmi, I don't think PA would be daft enough to marry simply to get an heir. He wants the whole package.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Aristocracy

I agree Lakshmi, I don't believe the "love story."
Old 08-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Okay, so it may - or may not - be a "love story", but it's what the Principality needs. We're spending many hours discussing PA and CW, but the citizens and inhabitants of Monaco will benefit from the forthcoming events, and their legacy, for years to come.

Monaco will, without doubt, benefit - from the old ladies in the "Qietüdine", to the trade unionists, to the business people, the holiday makers....... the list is endless.

There's a part of me which does not really care whether PA and CW will be happy together - I'm more interested in the happiness of the Monégasques and their children and their childrens' children...
Old 08-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Honestly who cares if Albert and Charlene are not in love?

To be honest, I have never heard Albert say that he is marrying for love nor have I heard Charlene do the same. I would tend to agree that when they look at each other I don't see the looks of love that radiate between Daniel and Victoria. But if works for them.....who are we to judge?

Unlike Charles and Diana who had the famous interview where Charles stated, "Whatever love means" comment...so again have never heard Albert and Charlene talk about love. I am sure if I am wrong, someone will be happy to point it out. It could be because they are private people so they don't want to share their private thought just like it could be because they have been in a relationship for so long marriage just seems like the next step. Or maybe they love each other but are not in love with each other. Who knows?

Really, the only people who seem to mention love are some TRF posters who think that the couple exudes love and those who don't think they do are questioning the relatinoship. So again, I ask..... If they are not in love, who are they hurting?

They are both adults and I assume both have been around the block a couple of times and are not naive. So who exactly are they hurting? The situation is very different from Sweden when the planning clearly had the theme of Love Stockholm 2010.

As long as after this marriage they both work for the betterment of Monaco and produce legitimate heirs what difference does it make?

Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Honestly who cares if Albert and Charlene are not in love?

To be honest, I have never heard Albert say that he is marrying for love nor have I heard Charlene do the same. I would tend to agree that when they look at each other I don't see the looks of love that radiate between Daniel and Victoria. But if works for them.....who are we to judge?

Unlike Charles and Diana who had the famous interview where Charles stated, "Whatever love means" comment...so again have never heard Albert and Charlene talk about love. I am sure if I am wrong, someone will be happy to point it out. It could be because they are private people so they don't want to share their private thought just like it could be because they have been in a relationship for so long marriage just seems like the next step. Or maybe they love each other but are not in love with each other. Who knows?

Really, the only people who seem to mention love are some TRF posters who think that the couple exudes love and those who don't think they do are questioning the relatinoship. So again, I ask..... If they are not in love, who are they hurting?

They are both adults and I assume both have been around the block a couple of times and are not naive. So who exactly are they hurting? The situation is very different from Sweden when the planning clearly had the theme of Love Stockholm 2010.

As long as after this marriage they both work for the betterment of Monaco and produce legitimate heirs what difference does it make?

You may have just hit the nail on the head, and also killed the conversation about love.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

If they are not in love, why is CW interested in marrying Albert?

And the answer is just so obvious, and it speaks so much about her.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
If they are not in love, why is CW interested in marrying Albert?

And the answer is just so obvious, and it speaks so much about her.
They might not love each other, but there might be a mutual understand of friendship between the two.
Albert needs to marry, Charlene might want to as well. Perfect match IMO.
It's like one of those pacts between two friends, if they don't get married but there 40 they marry each other.

Is this marriage going to hurt anyone, if everything works out for the best? Monaco get's a princess, an heir one day, and Albert gets someone to share the rest of his life with.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Administrator

No, the answer isn't obvious. Have you ever had a conversation with her? Maybe she finds him funny, maybe she thinks she is in love (my idea of love in my 20's was a heck of lot different than what I thought about it in my 30's). Maybe for whatever reason, she has never felt security. Does anyone know what her relationship is with her father? Maybe she is insecure and Albert makes her feel good. Maybe she props him up and tells him he is a fabulous person. Maybe she makes him laugh. Maybe its not about what he can materially provide for her but what he does for her emotionally. I don't know the answers but do you? Frankly, it speaks for a lot of people that they are automatically thinking the worst without knowing anything about them as a couple.

Charlene wouldn't be the first young woman to marry an older man, and Albert isn't the first older man to marry a younger woman. They are both not new to the game. Again, who are they hurting?

Maybe I am naive but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt before automatically assuming the worst.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

When I see pictures or clips with PA and CW, I think: "These two rub along well together".

Many of us may/will have had relationships which may be quite prosaic, but that doesn't make them any less valuable, even essential, to the couple.

I also agree with Zonk about someone functioning as a public person, but being essentially a very private person. PA is in that category, I think; perhaps he is only now being mature enough to "take the plunge" ??
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
When I see pictures or clips with PA and CW, I think: "These two rub along well together".

Many of us may/will have had relationships which may be quite prosaic, but that doesn't make them any less valuable, even essential, to the couple.
You are correct Renata4711, whatever they have works for them. And if it doesn't, well, I guess we need to watch this space for news.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Serene Highness

I am not assuming the worst, i am guessing. But aren´t the ones who think they are in love guessing too?

Perhaps you could enlighten me about the many reasons there are for marrying, I know two: love or interest.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think PA would get married just to have an heir. There are already many qualified heirs in the House of Grimaldi.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Albert,Charlene and Monaco Part 2

Dearest Renata 4711:

I do not agree with your responce, it is possible that France could be a protectorate of Monaco although Monace is a Sovereign Country, it is on French territory and does not have an army only a small police force in case of INVASION (for instance if Italy or any neighboring country was to invade Monaco who would go go their rescue? Since the last world war France has secured a powerful MILITARY FORCE and it is only fitting that France I assume is a protectorate of Monaco. The first and second world wars have taught minkind an object lesson. I did not intend to stray from the subject of PA and CW, this is a part of their history we live and learn.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Hi Hilda,
I'm enclosing the Wikipedai article on "Protectorate".
Protectorate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently there is "Amical protection" and "Colonial protection", and the former would apply to Monaco.

Wikipedia's Monaco article refers to Monaco as "a small sovereign city-state".
Monaco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sovereignty has existed since the Franco-Monegasque Treaty of 1861.

I'm not convinced that Monaco could be regarded as a protectorate.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda Thomas View Post
Dearest Renata 4711:

I do not agree with your responce, it is possible that France could be a protectorate of Monaco although Monace is a Sovereign Country, it is on French territory and does not have an army only a small police force in case of INVASION (for instance if Italy or any neighboring country was to invade Monaco who would go go their rescue? Since the last world war France has secured a powerful MILITARY FORCE and it is only fitting that France I assume is a protectorate of Monaco. The first and second world wars have taught minkind an object lesson. I did not intend to stray from the subject of PA and CW, this is a part of their history we live and learn.
Maybe this will help.

"A third treaty was signed on October 24, 2002. The new treaty deals with issues of sovereignty which were resolved in the 2002 revision of Monaco's constitution. Under the constitutional revisions, approved by the treaty, only a member of the Grimaldi line can assume the throne, therefore resolving concerns that through the 1918 treaty Monaco could potentially become a French protectorate."
Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not really sure why we are discussing protectorates. Is it anything to do with Albert's and Charlene's relationship?

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship