The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Let's face it: we can all be a teenie weenie bit jealous, or put out, when we see the riches and influence and admiration that others seem to have....
Bravo-Bravo
Well said!!! Renata
I could not agree more!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Let's face it: we can all be a teenie weenie bit jealous, or put out, when we see the riches and influence and admiration that others seem to have...
I agree pretty much with everything you say here, but personally I'm not even a tiny bit jealous. You couldn't pay me to live a life in a fish bowl. As for all the jet-setting etc. I did that in my youth and I will tell you that eventually if your life isn't a full one outside of it, it will be empty and lonely. I hope Charlene truly understands what she's getting her self into. Yes it's a job but it can be a very lonely one. I don't "hate" Charlene, I just don't think she really is up to the job from what I have seen of her over the years. I actually think if Albert had married her 4 years ago, things might have been better for her. I also think the engagement was spur of the moment, which doesn't leave me with a good feeling.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Majesty

The only member of the Grimaldis I'd trade places with is Charlotte...but I love Monaco and I have always fantasized about living there.

Great post Renata, as usual!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Let's face it: we can all be a teenie weenie bit jealous, or put out, when we see the riches and influence and admiration that others seem to have.

It's a natural human trait, and it will continue while the human race is still around.

But amongst ourselves in this community, we can gloss over these differences of opinion, mainly because they are not really that important. Our own lives and aspirations are a million times more important than any of the so-called "high profile people" we squabble over.

In defence of royals and princes and the rest, I would like to say that much of the charitable giving, and the publicity for good causes, does arise from their presence and influence and hard work.
Even if we can't get any pleasure from the Monaco wedding plans, we can still respect PA for his environmental credentials. Whether we can respect CW eventually, is in the future.

But, for my part, I wouldd rather meet a hundred of you "real" people out there, than just one aristo.

Though I don't necessarily agree with your post, Renata, especially the part I highlighted in bold, I enjoy reading your posts, always have. :)

Seriously, being a member of several boards on the 'net for the last 11 yrs. or so, I can honestly say that only a small percentage (1 or 2%) would I like to meet in real life (and have done so). Too much fighting, bitching, complaining, et al. C'est la vie. :)

Regards the royals, I do have tremendous admiration & respect for the ones that conduct themselves with remarkable aplomb despite everything, as I feel they are role models whether they like it or not. And I agree with what Princess Caroline said once, they do more than some people ever do.

And I have a feeling Charlene Wittstock will do extremely well, of course encountering little bumps here & there during her path as First Lady of Monaco, but in the end it'll be all right. Especially when she starts having children, attends as many functions as Princess Caroline does, and of course learns French fluently. And she has Prince Albert & his sisters to help her along. :)
Old 07-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Many thanks for the responses - Hibou, I agree with you about goldfish bowls. I became a C of E minister in the Eighties when there weren't that many of us around, and I got heartily sick of being stared at, shouted at, laughed at, or - worst of all - people saying, "Oh, a Lady Vicar" - I could spit when I think about it.

How much harder must it be to be constantly in the public eye, having bodyguards around you in case you get abducted, and only rarely being able to live a "normal" life.... no money could compensate for that sort of lifestyle.

Nadine, I too have been on various boards, and the only one I've stuck with, so far, is this one. Yes, it isn't always what we hope it could be, but the standard of posts and debates is fairly good, but of course it could still be improved. Perhaps it is the subject matter that makes it more bearable than other boards.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Courtier

Lol, thanks for understanding, Renata. :) And I can totally understand where you're coming from, but so far I'm still a member of several boards, an eclectic mix of politics, sports, music, and entertainment. But I have to be honest, I've taken loooooong breaks from some of them, but always come back after a while. But I think this is the way for a lot of people.

Regards TRF, sometimes I read the boards weekly, daily, and other times it might be 6 months later. Depends on what I'm doing. But my impetus for posting was Crown Princess Victoria's wedding, someone I have always admired, and now Prince Albert & Charlene's upcoming wedding!!!!! I can't believe it, still, I thought he might not ever marry, lol.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Administrator

It appears that it is necessary to step in once again.

TRF is a discussion board that welcomes all type of opinions (negative as well as positive). It should be noted that you can't please everyone all the time. We certainly get complaints that we are too sugary as well as the fact that we are slipping down a negative path. We do try to encourage ALL types of discussion within reason.

With that in mind, if your feelings for Charlene and Albert are not positive and you wish to express that right, please refrain from calling them names, questioning their motives (i.e. Charlene is an opportunist, Albert has to marry her, she has been waiting for years with this goal, etc.) Such talk is considered defamatory and will be deleted without notice.

Also, it goes without saying that it is possible to engage in a civil discussion without being rude, snarky and patronizing to your fellow TRF'ers. Those posts have been and will continue to be deleted as well.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact any of the Monaco moderators and/or TRF administrators via PM. Any concerns addressed in the threads, will be deleted.

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

#1107 Nadine

Well, you've got your wish, and so have many others....
All of a sudden, the activity on the boards increases greatly !!
Like you (and others) I've been in the doldrums quite often, but now there is something special to look forward to.
Of course, it was started by the Swedish wedding in the first place :-))
Old 07-31-2010, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Moonmaiden, you conjured up a wonderfully funny vision of PA in a Donald Duck costume....

Of course, it all depends on what type of fat he needs to shed...

As to Charlene becoming the "saviour" of Monegasque society - so far I've not seen any sign of that......apart from her spending a fortune on designer clothes - which may make some Italian couture houses even richer....
Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Majesty

Renata I do think her physical transformation has been superb, but I can't help wishing that she had spent the last four years concentrating on things in addition to her appearance...her French, her education, charities etc.

There is still time however...I am going to cross my fingers and hope for the best!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I totally agree with you on that one .... I'm sure someone will shoot me down, but CW should have shown some basic courtesy to the Monégasques by making a big effort to learn their language !! She had plenty of time to do so.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Renata I do think her physical transformation has been superb, but I can't help wishing that she had spent the last four years concentrating on things in addition to her appearance...her French, her education, charities etc.

There is still time however...I am going to cross my fingers and hope for the best!
I agree-her physical transformation has been too Grace Kelly-ish for me. She should've spent more time indulging herself in the language, culture,etc of Monaco-after all it's what's inside that counts. I knew she probably hadn't mastered French or the Monegasque language yet as it is MUCH harder for an adult to master than a child. But there's still time-almost a year to fix that.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Why should she have focused on learning french, having an education and charities when, she must have had no idea she was going to become the future Princess of Monaco. Yes she should start learning it now, but she shouldn't have before her engagement. Other princess who were not born in the country they now live in like Princess Mary and Marie of Denmark didn't learn danish until they married. Is having a degree in something going to make her a better princess? Nope, not IMO.
Doing stuff for charity is always a good thing, but she had no reason to go out and more than likely someone who have found a way to criticise her for it.

Whatever Charlene has had done, that was her decision, whether she looks like Grace or not is in the eye of the behold, she looks like Charlene to me and nothing like Grace except the blond hair.

She has a year to prove herself to the people who doubt her, say she is trying to hard or she wants to be Grace. But to me she doesn't need to prove anything, just that she will stand by Albert, whatever children they may have and do good for Monaco. She won't be the "savior" of Monaco, why should she be? She's a person not a god.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why should she have focused on learning french, having an education and charities when, she must have had no idea she was going to become the future Princess of Monaco. Yes she should start learning it now, but she shouldn't have before her engagement. Other princess who were not born in the country they now live in like Princess Mary and Marie of Denmark didn't learn danish until they married. Is having a degree in something going to make her a better princess? Nope, not IMO.
Doing stuff for charity is always a good thing, but she had no reason to go out and more than likely someone who have found a way to criticise her for it.

Whatever Charlene has had done, that was her decision, whether she looks like Grace or not is in the eye of the behold, she looks like Charlene to me and nothing like Grace except the blond hair.

She has a year to prove herself to the people who doubt her, say she is trying to hard or she wants to be Grace. But to me she doesn't need to prove anything, just that she will stand by Albert, whatever children they may have and do good for Monaco. She won't be the "savior" of Monaco, why should she be? She's a person not a god.
Why should she have worked on French and her education? Precisely because she didn't know if she was going to be a princess or not. It would have been the smart thing to do --- known as Plan B if the princess job didn't pan out, and now that it has she would have been well ahead of the training not to mention have had something to show for her years in Monaco other than her new attributes.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:

It was reported that she's been "in training" for the future role of Princess Consort since the beginning in preparation of marrying PA someday. Having lived in Monaco for 4 years, she should have started with enduing herself within it's traditions, culture and language, then it's charities THEN her appearance-not the other way around.
I agree-she has a year to prove herself to those who doubt her. But to me, she just needs to be herself and stand by Albert and whatever children they may have and do good for Monaco.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thtregoddess11 View Post
I agree-her physical transformation has been too Grace Kelly-ish for me. She should've spent more time indulging herself in the language, culture,etc of Monaco-after all it's what's inside that counts. I knew she probably hadn't mastered French or the Monegasque language yet as it is MUCH harder for an adult to master than a child. But there's still time-almost a year to fix that.
But I don't see the Grace Kelly mimicry that others do..I do see CW transforming herself into someone more "elegant" than when she came into Albert's life. As much as I admired Princess Grace she did not have a monopoly on elegance.

By transformation, what I mean is that CW has learned how to dress, walk, smile for the cameras, apply makeup and get her overprocessed, flyaway hair under control. And other than don a brunette wig or dye her hair I don't see how she could avoid the inevitable comparisons to Grace.

Any BLONDE Albert took up with was going to have to deal with that.

I do not subscribe to the idea that the fact that she does not have a college degree means that she lacks intelligence..I know far too many people in my personal life with University degrees who prove otherwise. I am troubled by the fact that she has been given four years to master French and has apparently not done so...so other than make herself over physically what has she been up to?

This..more than anything else, is what bothers me about CW.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:

I understand what you are saying and you make great points...but Mary Donaldson did not live in Denmark as the "companion" of CP Frederik for four years before she became engaged...so she had no real opportunity or reason to learn Danish before her wedding.

Charlene did, and nothing will convince me that she had no idea her relationship with the Prince was not serious enough to possibly consider immersing herself in the language of his country. That would mean that she is indeed stupid,or lazy, and I don't believe that she is either.

I just think her priority was her appearance, because let us be honest...if CW had mastered French, embraced the Catholic Faith and become an expert on the history and culture of the Principality...while at the same time gaining about twenty pounds, dressing like a slob in torn jeans and discount dresses, chain smoking in public and winking at the camera a la Sarah Palin, Monegasques and Royal watchers would FREAK OUT at the idea of this woman as Princess Consort.

Looks count.. like it or not, and CW and her handlers know that. But they must also know that it is not going to be enough for her to coast on forever...she is going to have to step it up, and soon!

Maybe that is why PA has set the wedding away a year...
Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Some people have better facility in picking up languages. Hers may be poor. She came as an adult and for some adults a new language is a trial. They, most probably, will always have an accent. And, in most of her royal social visiting everyone speaks English. And, as none of us know what she has been doing, negative assumptions are just that.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Some people have better facility in picking up languages. Hers may be poor. She came as an adult and for some adults a new language is a trial. They, most probably, will always have an accent. And, in most of her royal social visiting everyone speaks English. And, as none of us know what she has been doing, negative assumptions are just that.
While I agree that for some learning a foreign language can be difficult, she has been there for four years. I'm sure if she spoke French with a SA accent no one would fault her. As for royal social visits, yes there are plenty of people who speak English, but if she had been wiser, she would have worked hard to speak the language of the country she has been living in for four years. We don't know what she's been doing for four years behind the scenes but with so little to go assumptions are inevitable, after all if she had been filling her days with other pursuits, I am quite sure the palace would have said so. JMO
Old 08-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Heir Apparent

In the intervieu of french tv, we saw that she understood french but she had difficuties to speak french, it is normal, french is a language difficult to learn, Princess Grace didn't speak french when she arrived in Monaco, there is an interview in 1960, where the palast asked what were the questions of the interviuever because she din't understood all the questions and she couldn't answer very well, she had difficulties all her life to speak french . I am french and i find that she spoke well this language. I am 62 yars old, i learned english when i was young, i went in england but I is difficult for me to speak english ( I understand what I read).learn a language is not like to learn riding or cooking,It is very difficult when we are grown up. Do the persons who critize her always speak french ?Excuse me for my bad english.

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship