The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Administrator

So the chances of Charlene sitting for an interview with a gossip magazine is what?
I know the Palace has favorite journalists and gives leaks of information but would they really do that?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Courtier

In the past, the Palace has preferred giving interviews to Paris Match over PdV and certainly, Charlene's previous interviews have been with the likes of Paris Match as well.
As for giving interviews to gossip mags, Charlene gave an interview to A in Italy I think, though I don't remember exactly.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Aristocracy

This is a little off the subject but yes the press will do anything. There is a picture of Queen Elizabeth and supposedly Kate Middleton. But it has been photoshopped. It was really a meeting with Bill and Melinda Gates. Kates face was photoshopped over Melinds face. So now days you can't even believe what you think you see.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

I must say I like her, I really do. She has kept herself "tidy" as it were ie no former husbands or illegitimate (are we able to say that word anymore?) children. I hope she puts some respectability back into the House of Grimaldi as it's been sadly lacking in recent years.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I really do hope the engagement is not for marketing purposes. I hope it's because they truly love each other. Could it be too that Albert wants to get married so that the throne doesn't pass to Andrea, but his own child?? I wonder that.

I have to admit, Charlene has changed her look somewhat. I saw something the other day where they compared Grace and Charlene and the resemblance was unmistakable. I'm not talking about the blond hair. I'm talking about the hairstyle, clothes etc. The hairstyle Charlene has been sporting lately is really the 50s, etc. Nobody wears their hair like that anymore. I haven't seen a lot of Marilyn Monroe and Grace Kelly hairstyles.

I think Charlene is in a tight spot. She knows her role is a serious role and she knows she has to conform to that role. Maybe she feels like the best thing for her to do is to emanate Grace. I hope she's confident in her skin because if she isn't, we'll be seeing a lot of Grace flowing from her.
Absolutely true, I hope the couple are genuinely happy, and hope it is not just for marketing purposes. Though as things progress, it is starting to get more and more that feeling to it. There is alot of antics going on, like the Iggy pop concert and the Paris Match cover, etc.

When there is such effort to do these things, than a red flag goes up immediately. It is all unreal. Polishing Charlene is to be expected, but staging is not.

Also, if she is so empty that molding her into Grace is the only thing that can be done than that would raise other questions. Like was Albert purposely looking for someone of no substance that could be completely molded. Even the women that he had children with out of wedlock with seem very questionable as well. I mean could a prince find any two ladies more inappropriate to have relationships with. Was that staged as well. It all seems very fishy.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Albert had flings with ladies, he presumed, I presume, would have used birth control at this era. So, he is a father, of 2 illigitimate children. Ces't la vie. Now, he is engaged, to a lovely, young woman. I, assume, he cares for her and she for him, but that has never been a pre-requisite for royal marriages, as such. Charles, married Diana as a brood mare of good stock. He is not the first. Caroline, has a checkered past and Stephanie is a poor example of any kind of behavior. The pricipality is a non-starter in nations, except for glamour and money laundering. I hope he and Charlene are happy, at least as happy as his parents. That was no love match, but no one seems to care about that. All royals stage. No of them do anything really worthwhile, other than staging.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
In the past, the Palace has preferred giving interviews to Paris Match over PdV and certainly, Charlene's previous interviews have been with the likes of Paris Match as well.
As for giving interviews to gossip mags, Charlene gave an interview to A in Italy I think, though I don't remember exactly.
The Palace, up to when Princess Grace died, preferred giving interviews to PdV. Princess Grace was a regular in that magazine, as were many of the royals at that time. Paris-Match took over, but only until the early-nineties when Princess Caroline threw a royal fit about the extensive coverage she received (and many unflattering pictures, not of her, but of her serial affairs). Then Stephanie and Albert (after the story of Alexander came out, right after his father's died) joined the frey, all of them sueing over and over again, until Paris-Match gave up, not before publishing a long article lamenting that they had always treated the Grimaldis fairly and even admiringly and affectionately and that the Grimaldis were being ungrateful.
I have no idea what the relationship is now.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Aristocracy

Who really knows the truth about Albert and his romantic tastes. With Prince Charles you at least knew that he genuinely cared for Camilla, but married Diana out of convienience.

I mean lets say Albert is gay and used the illegitamate children out of wedlock as a front, that doesn't say much. If he is straight and indesciminately getting any woman pregnant that he meets, that doesn't say much either. If he is getting engaged as a front again for homosexulaity, it is all bogus, and if he is straight and using Charlene for simply marketing than that doesn't say much either.

It all leaves everyone flat.

The only good outcome is if he really loves Charlene, but that has yet to be truly proven.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
The Palace, up to when Princess Grace died, preferred giving interviews to PdV. Princess Grace was a regular in that magazine, as were many of the royals at that time. Paris-Match took over, but only until the early-nineties when Princess Caroline threw a royal fit about the extensive coverage she received (and many unflattering pictures, not of her, but of her serial affairs). Then Stephanie and Albert (after the story of Alexander came out, right after his father's died) joined the frey, all of them sueing over and over again, until Paris-Match gave up, not before publishing a long article lamenting that they had always treated the Grimaldis fairly and even admiringly and affectionately and that the Grimaldis were being ungrateful.
I have no idea what the relationship is now.
I was born in the year Grace died, so I admittedly don't know much as I'd like to about her years in Palace, apart from what I've heard, seen and read. I just remembered that when I first starting interest in Monaco, their interview were generally in Paris Match.
Caroline seems to have developed a much greater dislike for the press than her brother or sister - perhaps because of the extensive coverage she has received, often more than either of them and sometimes (most of the time) more than both of them combined. Though, I sort of don't understand her thinking sometimes - she knows that in the position she holds, she must court public opinion. And unfortunately, that means that the negative things you do attract publicity too. But I do think there should be a line. But it seems to be a very thin one though.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Sometimes I wonder why there is so much animosity toward Charlene. So she is not the smartest crayon in the box. So what ? Nor was Diana, and for a few years she had to carry the nickname of Shy Di.
Charlene has shown some qualities : she seems to be very well-behaved. She has shown great self-control and self-discipline in her sport,you can't take that away from her, even if a few years ago she bragged about her prowess in an untasteful way. So, then, she lacked good taste in interviews. But still, you can't take self-discipline away from her. Let's say, if you acknowledge it in Charlotte, acknowledge it in Charlene too.
We don't know what's in her mind. So, for the benefit of the doubt, let's praise her loyalty to Albert, even if it seems tainted by unbecoming behavior. But as far as we know, that passive kind of loyalty has happened only with Albert. I am not saying there aren't ulterior motives, but that is pure speculation. And also, why think that nobody would stick with Albert ? Is he that unlovable ?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Aristocracy

iloveroyals makes some fair points. I do think she has some nice qualities, but what is annoying is what appears to be "Grace-like" fabrication, and what also appears to not be fully genuine behavior between the two.

If she can come into her own genuinely and if their relationship is truly real, and not for just marketing or some other motive, than alot of disapproval will begin to wash away.

It is not like Daniel and Victoria are some super impressive couple either, and maybe even worst because he is a man. You would hope that he would have a stronger CV behind him than what he does, and he was totally made-over to be 'appropriate' for the role. So their is great superficiality there as well, but people precieve Daniel and Victoria's relationship to be real and truly about love, and there is acceptance for it.

Albert and Charlene's relationship doesn't appear to be fully real. Something is missing. The relationship lacks soul.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Caroline and Stephanie hate being Princesses. That's why they refused titles for their children. I think the Casiraghi's are doing exactly the same thing they would be doing if they had titles. I thought Pierre was in graduate school taking law or economics?Maybe he took a year off to finish his military stint. I think both Andrea and Pierre were in the military and that's why they had the GI haircuts.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm failing to see the big deal here. Andrea is 26, Charlotte 23 and Pierre 22 - are we expecting them to be the big leaders of Monaco? That's Albert, not them.
Sure, we can say that there are other young royals who do more, but I would urge you to think about who these people are in terms of succession. The most active of the young British royals in causes "for England" are William and Harry, sons of the Heir Apparent to the throne of Britain. Many of the most active members of young European royals in causes promoting and nurturing their country are either children of the Heir Apparent or the Heir Apparent themselves (Victoria for instance). The Casiraghis are children of the Heiress Presumptive - them keeping their place in the line of succession relies on Albert never having any legitimate children. So their place in the line of succession was never secure. I think that they are doing the right amount for who they are, succession wise. Enough so that should the time come when they must step into the role of heirs apparent, they will know what they are doing. But not so much that should Albert have children, they've wasted their time. So they won't be "tied down" so to speak at such a young age. Get what I mean?
I do-precisely. The Casiraghi parent is the heiress presumptive not the heir apparent. There's no real need at the moment, especially with Albert and Charlene getting married and potentially producing their own heir, eventually placing the Casiraghi and HRH Princess Caroline out of the line of succession. However-if Albert and Charlene chose not/don't have a heir for themselves, Andrea, Charlotte and Pierre need to be ready to step up and make themselves known as more Royal than just the "Casiraghi kids who happen to be the kids of HRH Princess Caroline." Not one of them is ready for a postion like that at the moment. Right now, they are in the same postion Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice of York are-nieces (and in the Casiraghi case-niece and nephews)of the heir/ruler. You don't see Eugenie or Beatrice performing major royal duties, do you? No. Occasional functional appearances at big events (i.e National Day, etc)? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
She can't help that she has blonde hair and has a resemblance to Princess Grace.
It's not all of sudden, not by a long shot.
If she happens to look more like Grace when she is "dolled up" then what is she suppose to do? Dress in rags 24/7, dye her hair and change who she is?

And Andrea is in the same position as William of Wales, he should be doing something for his country, and so should Charlotte and Pierre.
From what i've heard Caroline is just going to pass the title to Andrea, if it should work that way.
They're marketing her as "The Next Grace", and the press is following her as if she will be "The Next Grace" but Charlene will be Charlene, no matter what happens around her. Just as Albert will be Albert, not his father.
Andrea is NOT in the same spot William is, however, he still should be doing something for his country. There just has been speculation that if Caro were to succeed Albert she would pass it to Andrea, but nothing has confirmed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mia View Post
The issue that many people here feel is that. 1) this engagement is being used primarily as a marketing tool for Monaco. 2) They are marketing Charlene as a Grace Kelly, as Paris Match clearly proves. There is a strong sense of a facade, not anything of what is genuine. It's not because she just has blond hair. Go look at Charlene early on, and look at her hair styles now, she just happend to naturally wear a circa 1955 haircut for Paris Match. It's not genuinely real. I would equally criticise Prince William if his girl started to become more and more Lady Diana in appearance.
EXACTLY. Well said.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Does anyone in the US know anyone but Grace, Rainier? Maybe Caroline and Charlotte? Albert for being just the Prince.
You are correct, after Princess Grace died, Monaco's visibility in the USA died too. Princess Grace frequently gave interviews to popular "women's" magazines. Grace, Monaco and the Grimaldi family were always on magazine covers, on display at the supermarket check-out line. Rarely did any members of the Grimaldi family gave interviews to USA magazines after Grace's death. Prince Albert did give several TV interviews to CNN's Larry King, but that was about it. Princesses Caroline and Stephanie have done charity work and have supported interesting charity endeavors outside of Monaco, but never gave USA interviews to talk about what they were doing. So, out of sight, out of mind. The majority of people “over here” don’t remember who they are. As for Charlene, not many people keep track of South African Olympic competitors. She is an unknown too.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
You are correct, after Princess Grace died, Monaco's visibility in the USA died too. Princess Grace frequently gave interviews to popular "women's" magazines. Grace, Monaco and the Grimaldi family were always on magazine covers, on display at the supermarket check-out line. Rarely did any members of the Grimaldi family gave interviews to USA magazines after Grace's death. Prince Albert did give several TV interviews to CNN's Larry King, but that was about it. Princesses Caroline and Stephanie have done charity work and have supported interesting charity endeavors outside of Monaco, but never gave USA interviews to talk about what they were doing. So, out of sight, out of mind. The majority of people “over here” don’t remember who they are. As for Charlene, not many people keep track of South African Olympic competitors. She is an unknown too.
Disagree. While things have been rare in recent years...there have been several interviews by PC, and PS (most notable, I think is the 2002 Diane Sawyer interview with the two...search for Princess Caroline and family to find it on youtube), as well as the occasional interviews/appearances by PA. It's not their fault that people in the US have lost interest in the royalty...we're too busy trying to figure out Lindsay Lohan's next move to watch royalty.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
In my opinion, Caroline has been wishing for the day that Albert does not get married, and she can be the mother to the boy sitting on the monanesque throne. This is just the way I view her.
She might have taught them to be real people, but that does not affect there place in line for the throne. Just like Diana taught William and Harry to be as normal as possible, but that didn't stop them being the heir and the spare.
We don't know that she has waited 25 years to pass off her duties to his wife, I don't see why she would pass of her duties. They are hers, not someone elses.

This wedding is not going to be as high profiled as Victoria's or Williams when he gets married, because of who they are and the place they are in.
But I am still looking forward to it.
She said in an interview once that she wished he would hurry up and get married so she can pass off the majority of her duties to his wife. I believe it was around the time Rainier was trying to pressure him to get married to someone-anyone.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
So you'd have him tie his entire life to his country, only for nothing to come of it? For what? A pat on the back? He is young. I don't know why we all expect these people to be great leaders in their twenties. Hell, when I was his age, it was the best I could do not to burn the toast in the morning! Are they not allowed to make mistakes, just because of who their parents are? Why is it that people always forget that these people are humans, just like us?
I haven't forgotten they are human, but he's not a normal person in his twenties.
I never said tie his entire life to his country, but I expect him to do something for his country.
There is a chance he will become Prince Of Monaco, so he should be prepared.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I haven't forgotten they are human, but he's not a normal person in his twenties.
I never said tie his entire life to his country, but I expect him to do something for his country.
There is a chance he will become Prince Of Monaco, so he should be prepared.
Yeah, I agree with that. Like I said, I think I carried this argument too far yesterday. I apologise for that. But I think we should allow for a little room for error. It's not like he's going to hit the nail on the head every time.
For now at least though, I'd prefer that he learn the way of politics and how countries run, if he's eventually going to run Monaco. I'd much rather he had experience in that than in promotion.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Okay....lets get back on topic with the relationship of Albert and Charlene.

And not the role of the Casiraghi's in Monaco.

Thank you.

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Nobility

I dont see Charlene so similar to Grace Kelly. They cant even be compared. But I am very proud for her to become princess of Monaco, even I wished Caroline was regining princess...

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship