The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Aristocracy

The obvious PR , like Paris Match Magazine, that is fashioning her as the new Grace Kelly of Monaco, which is even posted on Charlene's Facebook page.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

Don't take me wrong but I really want to see Albert's offsprings to be Heirs.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I doubt it's Charlene's real facebook page, another PR stunt.
They are fashioning her as Grace, because that's what Monaco wants and that's horrible.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness

The only reason I got interested in Monaco royals was basically because of Caroline and then Stephanie. Other than that I wasn't interested my daughter knows Grace through her movies and doesn't care about the royal aspect or Monaco.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

I think Monaco is as famous as it can get. The people who need to know Monaco know it and go there the rich and famous.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I doubt it's Charlene's real facebook page, another PR stunt.
They are fashioning her as Grace, because that's what Monaco wants and that's horrible.
Oh, it's real. Well, technically it's a fan page but it's run by a PR professional who claims to be friends with Charlene, apparently.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
Oh, it's real. Well, technically it's a fan page but it's run by a PR professional who claims to be friends with Charlene, apparently.
I didn't mean real in the sense of it actually exsisting.
So it's fan page, made by someone who claims to be friends of Charlene. About as trustworthy as the Katie Nicholl's royal "sources".
Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I didn't mean real in the sense of it actually exsisting.
So it's fan page, made by someone who claims to be friends of Charlene. About as trustworthy as the Katie Nicholl's royal "sources".
Neither did I.
I don't know the full story but the woman who runs it definitely has business in PR. So, it's an image boost thing, one assumes. I don't think they scoop much. After some of the things they claimed about Charlene attending events didn't eventuate.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mia View Post
The more this circus goes along, the more pathetic this engagement all seems. Yes, I agree woodstock was "hip" in 1969, and why would someone have to say that Grace was the past. That sounds very insecure, and at the same time isn't it insulting the House of Grimaldi. I can't image, per say, Prince Charles saying when he becomes king...Queen Elizabeth II is so yesterday, it's King Charles that's the now.

Without any doubt, CW is very LC (low class).
I will assume that the cover of Paris-Match that has generated all this talk is still "current events". It's sad to have to prelude with "I am not a fan of Charlene (and therefore don't take my comment as biased), but indeed I am indifferent to Charlene. She seems nice but to me is insipid. Still, I wish them both happiness.
My thought is that perhaps Charlene didn't mean to be disrespectful and is still too green to know how any words can be interpreted, still unable to sanitize her interviews and be even more insipid (by saying all the right things). Maybe she knows that because of the way she looks, because of what Albert said about wanting to marry someone like his mother, she feels that she must distance herself from Princess Grace and assert that she is her own woman and not a manufactured clone. It may not be her take on the past, but on Princess Grace as an icon who she knows she will never be able to replace. It may be that she underwent the transformation because of Albert's wishes and feels that she has done enough, she wants to be Charlene, not Grace. We have noticed how princes and princesses consort change over years and let their personalities shine. I remember Charlene (the famous balcony pictures) as being more extroverted than she is now. She often seems petrified (but the stiffness Tosca mentioned was also present in Grace, who never let her hair down, contrary to her daughters, and was always oh so impeccable), not knowing how to move for the camera. If she becomes the Princess of Monaco, she will gain in self-confidence, and the fun, humorous woman she is said to be will come out again, with the more youthful and sometimes irreverent twist our modern age allows.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

I disagree that the Grimaldis and Casiraghis are lazy and do nothing. They're so lazy they are all billionaires. Rainier and Grace did alot but their children have had to put up with 24/7 paparazzi. Andrea and Pierre have both been in college or internships the whole time. Charlotte seems to get her picture in a major European magazine about once every 1.5 weeks and it is good publicity. Most companies would kill for that kind of free publicity. The reason they go to fashion shows and art openings is because that is their market niche. They don't need to attract Americans who read People Magazine. They are looking for billionaires to move to Monaco. That is what fascinates me about them. It's how creative they are in governing and what good business people they are. I saw a video where an Englishman who lived there said 50 billionaires lived there and 2/3 of the country is millionaires. If that's being a failure, I want in.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Andrea is in NY yes? Doing studies?
Pierre never graduated from Bocconi, so what's he doing?
Charlotte has a minor Journalism career? She's done internships and has a degree in philosophy.

What are they doing for there country?

But this is off topic, maybe this can be moved to the appropriate thread.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder that too. What exactly are they doing for their country? Besides attending fashion shows, etc. I'm sure if they had titles they'd be doing more for their country. Maybe the Casigrahi last name makes them feel like there's no need to do royal duties.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I disagree that the Grimaldis and Casiraghis are lazy and do nothing. They're so lazy they are all billionaires. Rainier and Grace did alot but their children have had to put up with 24/7 paparazzi. Andrea and Pierre have both been in college or internships the whole time. Charlotte seems to get her picture in a major European magazine about once every 1.5 weeks and it is good publicity. Most companies would kill for that kind of free publicity. The reason they go to fashion shows and art openings is because that is their market niche. They don't need to attract Americans who read People Magazine. They are looking for billionaires to move to Monaco. That is what fascinates me about them. It's how creative they are in governing and what good business people they are. I saw a video where an Englishman who lived there said 50 billionaires lived there and 2/3 of the country is millionaires. If that's being a failure, I want in.
If that's called a success, it is unreal, literally. What modern, responsible country would want to boast that 2/3 of their population are millionaires? I am sure that the majority of people, who try to save money, would look at that country as a fantasy, nice for a short vacation maybe, kind of Disneyland-like, but unfriendly because with that criterion unless you are at least a millionaire you'll never measure up. (Having been to Monaco quite a few times, I am not even sure that is true, unless people don't flaunt their money and just pretend to be average (quite a few average little old ladies too, like anywhere else).
So, where is this thread moved to?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Aristocracy

I agree Lumutqueen, what are they doing for their country,

The youngsters have basic education and experience, but are doing nothing specifically great for their country. How old is Andrea now, and isn't he really up to be the next ruler of Monaco. There is no guarentee that Charlene and Albert will ever produce an appropriate heir. Shouldn't he be getting more serious by now, and none of the Grimaldi's current wealth is because of this generation's doing.

As for Charlene's look, it is Monaco that is fashioning her that way. It goes back to the superficial look-a-like. They think that if there is another Grace wanna-be that the same interest in Monaco will surface. It won't. Charlene needs to be her own woman. This whole engagement appears to be a marketing tool with Paris Match and with the Iggy Pop concert etc.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Andrea is in NY yes? Doing studies?
Pierre never graduated from Bocconi, so what's he doing?
Charlotte has a minor Journalism career? She's done internships and has a degree in philosophy.

What are they doing for there country?

But this is off topic, maybe this can be moved to the appropriate thread.
Andrea is in Paris, working at the Embassy of Qatar. He was being trained as heir, before Albert got engaged. He says that he's still kept aware of what is happening in Monaco.
Pierre never graduated from Bocconi. He went through a training course with the army last year I think. He lives with Beatrice in Rome, where she works for Il Fatto Quotidiano. I heard something about photography once upon a time but I don't know if that's true.
Charlotte is currently competing in the Invitational Classes of the Global Champions Tour. In terms of her journalism career, she is Editor-At-Large for Above magazine and co-founder of Ever Manifesto, both magazines with an environmental slant. She had an internship at Pierre Laffont and at the Evening Standard. Though apparently, she's interested more in the publishing side of journalism than the writing side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mia View Post
I agree Lumutqueen, what are they doing for their country,

The youngsters have basic education and experience, but are doing nothing specifically great for their country. How old is Andrea now, and isn't he really up to be the next ruler of Monaco. There is no guarentee that Charlene and Albert will ever produce an appropriate heir. Shouldn't he be getting more serious by now, and none of the Grimaldi's current wealth is because of this generation's doing.

As for Charlene's look, it is Monaco that is fashioning her that way. It goes back to the superficial look-a-like. They think that if there is another Grace wanna-be that the same interest in Monaco will surface. It won't. Charlene needs to be her own woman. This whole engagement appears to be a marketing tool with Paris Match and with the Iggy Pop concert etc.
No, he isn't really up for being the next ruler of Monaco. That would be Caroline, assuming the situation you propose, of Charlene and Albert having no children eventuates (you said "appropriate heir" - I have no idea what that means. If they have children, they're the heir. It has nothing to do with being appropriate). But Andrea has or had been taken under Albert's wing. He has a degree in International Politics and is undergoing training at the Embassy of Qatar. That's good enough for someone not even out of their twenties, to me. He is learning how the world of politics works, from the ground up. He hasn't been given a particularly glamourous position. And he has time to learn. Unless you expect Albert to cark it within the next ten years?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So basically at the moment, they are doing what they want?
When was the last time they attended an event to do with Monaco or it's people?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I wonder that too. What exactly are they doing for their country? Besides attending fashion shows, etc. I'm sure if they had titles they'd be doing more for their country. Maybe the Casigrahi last name makes them feel like there's no need to do royal duties.
I've always wondered that too. I think it is a shame they never had a title that would convey they were "of Monaco". It did wonders for Caroline in particular. I remember how Princess Caroline said in an interview that as a child, she thought everybody in Monaco was "of Monaco". Once you realize how rare this distinction is, you must feel you have to give back, and in another way than just being there for photographers simply because your image sells the country. (Let's not mention Stephanie, who in her mature age seems to be making up for it.)
Old 07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy

Absolutely Lumutqueen,

There is nothing focused for the betterment of Monaco.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Aristocracy

I think Monaco really needs to import a smart cookie that can bring luster back to Monaco. No one there now seems to know what they are doing, and Charlene will be a no show, a puppet as her current make over seems to suggest. I don't think you can count on the princely family to do it anymore for Monaco, they need outside help.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

[QUOTE=Donna Mia;1108084]
As for Charlene's look, it is Monaco that is fashioning her that way. It goes back to the superficial look-a-like. They think that if there is another Grace wanna-be that the same interest in Monaco will surface. It won't. QUOTE]

How can you be so sure of what you assert ? I see things as more complex and mysterious than you do. I don't see Monaco as shallow and interested only in image. Obviously (to me) if I did, I wouldn't bother wasting my time posting about it. As for generating interest, there are more forces at play nowadays that determine what is successful. Attention-span might be one of them.

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship