The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Administrator

She favors Grace Kelly.

How is she supposed to take pictures? What would you suggest that she look like? She wears her up, she looks like Grace Kelly. She wears it back...she looks like Grace Kelly. She wears an evening dress she looks like Grace Kelly.

Should she dye her hair.....grow it longer. I mean, she is who she is.

I mean, why isn't anyone mad that Albert picked a girl who resembles his mother?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Gentry

Charlene: somewhat undecided

Hi DonnaMia!
I think I see your point in that this was a 'staged' event. I agree that it certainly was. I tend to doubt that Caroline or Albert are honest to goodness fans of either the Stooges or ZZ Top. I could be wrong, but I just can't see them tooling around Monte Carlo blasting "Search and Destroy" or even "Got Me Under Pressure". And I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time Wittstock, who is very near my own age, had even heard of these bands. (Unless she 'found' them later in life, as I did The Stooges.) This was for show, totally.
It seems like your greatest disapproval is for Charlene Wittstock. I haven't paid enough attention to her to really give an opinion about her except that she is very pretty and I hope that she makes Albert happy and vice versa. No way in H-E-double hockey sticks could she ever fill the void Princess Grace left back in '82. And if she's the slightest bit smart she won't even attempt to. Now she'd better be very cautious how she words her 'Grace was then, Charlene is now' statements. That, even to me, is very dicey.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Aristocracy

Albert could be criticized too. Albert has said on record that who he marries must be like his mother, which in itself is very strange. Grace made Monaco what it was because she was being Grace. Charlene will not do anything for Monaco by trying to be a look-a-like of Grace, and when one examines Charlene, what can she really do for Moanco but be a look-a-like of Grace. She has no education, no career in her own right, no imprssive family background, and Albert was also never a powerful figure for Monaco either. The moderator is right, he moves no one. He is about as exciting as a loaf of bread.

Both of these two are just trying to play up an act and think that superficiality over substance can pull Monaco along. Their is no real passion to either one of them.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mia View Post
Can you honestly say that this Paris Match cover is not trying to clone Grace Kelly, and that she didn't agree to do it.
Charlene Lynette Wittstock's Photos - Wall Photos | Facebook

What I think many critics dislike is the disingenuous molding of someone into something she clearly is not. There is no real Charlene in any of this. People could respect someone who is real, irregardless if you like them or not and I have nothing against Charlene personally, but the facade is rediculous.
Let's clarify this. You (and others because you are certainly not alone) perceive that this is not the real Charlene. To me the fascade is not ridiculous.

She is not the first nor is the last person to undergo an transformation when her lifestyle changes is changing. She does have access to makeup artists, professional hairdressers and a new fabulous wardrobe. Some people who come to mind are Daniel of Sweden, Mary of Denmark, heck any of the newbies who married into the Royal Families. Do we really expect her to dress like she did when she was a swimmer? That would NOT go over well. Then we would get claims that she is embarassing Albert and Monaco and that Grace would never wearing something like that. She can't win.

I have a question for those who perceive that Charlene is fake. Has anyone ever spoken to her? Do you know her? So far I have only heard from those so called Monaco sources.

I personally find it hard to get to know someone via pictures that taken quick snaps of a person's life and/or personality. But that is just me.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Aristocracy

I agree that Daniel was equally as unimpressive as a candidate as Charlene is. He was also made over to appear to be more than he actually is, but at least he was not trying to emulate some other figure of Victoria's family. The Grace look-a-like is a very obvious with Charlene, and the Paris Match cover proves that.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I feel sorry for the poor woman, she is critisized for everything.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Courtier

I can see what Elly C meant by "fake". She's had plastic surgery (so has my own Letizia ) - new teeth, new breasts (probably some other things too) That is what I find disingenuous about her. It's what I find disingenuous about all people who have had plastic surgery. I don't know her personally so I'm not going to comment on her personality but I have to admit that she doesn't seem very successful without Albert to me. But then again, Mary was no household name when she got with Frederik.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

As for the concert why would they not like the music I like ZZ top. And as for Albert wanting to marry someone like his mother why is that strange she was his mother more than anything else to me even before a princess she was his mom. He probably wants to marry a woman who has her similar character and strength. I have a son and would love for him to say he wants to marry someone like me.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Serene Highness

Men usually pic women that resemble their mothers..I don't say that, but researches! This doesn't mean that Charlene must look like her or imitate and desires to bring the "new Grace Kelly" in Monaco!
Albert had said once that he wants his wife to have something of Grace and he maybe found that in Charlene. It was really not unxpected from media to say that Charlene resembles Grace. They always try to find a gossip in order to attract readers.
For me Charlene will bring a nice change in Monaco. And i'm really expecting to see it!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
As for the concert why would they not like the music I like ZZ top. And as for Albert wanting to marry someone like his mother why is that strange she was his mother more than anything else to me even before a princess she was his mom. He probably wants to marry a woman who has her similar character and strength. I have a son and would love for him to say he wants to marry someone like me.
I think they're trying to say that they think Albert has an Oedipus complex.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
She favors Grace Kelly.

How is she supposed to take pictures? What would you suggest that she look like? She wears her up, she looks like Grace Kelly. She wears it back...she looks like Grace Kelly. She wears an evening dress she looks like Grace Kelly.

Should she dye her hair.....grow it longer. I mean, she is who she is.

I mean, why isn't anyone mad that Albert picked a girl who resembles his mother?
After looking at a YouTube video of Charlene, I concluded that Prince Albert was attracated to Charlene's humor and fun personality. I think that she is pretty, and that probably helped attract him also. IMO Charlene does not look like Grace, but perhaps blonds are Prince Albert's type. Take a look at this ad for Monaco tourism and compare it to the other two photos.

the Fashion Spot

the Fashion Spot

the Fashion Spot
Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
I think they're trying to say that they think Albert has an Oedipus complex.
Exactly. Also, the ironic thing is that I think Albert is missing the whole point. Grace was a star for the 1950's, and that is where the world was at that time. You can not try to replicate something from a different era and expect it will have the same impact.

Honestly, Monaco hasn't really been in the world's media's attention since Grace. It is failing as a place of interest. As for gambling, Monaco can not compete with America's Las Vegas anymore.

Monaco doesn't feel fresh. This engagement doesn't feel fresh either. The Iggy pop concernt which I think was suppose evoke a feeling of youthful energy, looked outdated. Albert and Charlene are of different generations, and it shows. Even, their engagement foto had to be heavily touched up to appear more of the same age.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Serene Highness

Well, we know he needs to marry someone young enough to be able to bear healthy children, so he can have a legitimate heir (since he's not going to marry either of the women he currently shares children with; although, there seemed to be promise in the relationship with Alexander's mother for a time). I agree with you, Donna Mia, that the principality has contrived this relationship and is trying to sell it as the "rebirth" of a young, spirited Monaco - most will see through that. I think most people no longer care whether Prince Albert marries, or not (since he's no longer a young stud) - in the US, it's seen as something that "has to be done" to save the Principality, so they picked the best candidate (looks, and reputation wise). I am sure Charlene is going thru heavy training and protocol, but I do not see her as very smart, interesting or worldly....wish them luck, but am not holding out that this will be a happy successful union....
Old 07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He doesn't have to marry someone young enough to bear him children.
He has heirs, Caroline, Andrea, Charlotte and Pierre.

He needs to marry sopmeone he is in love with, that is all.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygal View Post
Well, we know he needs to marry someone young enough to be able to bear healthy children, so he can have a legitimate heir (since he's not going to marry either of the women he currently shares children with; although, there seemed to be promise in the relationship with Alexander's mother for a time). I agree with you, Donna Mia, that the principality has contrived this relationship and is trying to sell it as the "rebirth" of a young, spirited Monaco - most will see through that. I think most people no longer care whether Prince Albert marries, or not (since he's no longer a young stud) - in the US, it's seen as something that "has to be done" to save the Principality, so they picked the best candidate (looks, and reputation wise). I am sure Charlene is going thru heavy training and protocol, but I do not see her as very smart, interesting or worldly....wish them luck, but am not holding out that this will be a happy successful union....
I think we disagree on a lot of issues with this relationship but I think we can agree that most people in the US aren't thinking about this relationship, don't know who Charlene is or that something had to be done.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think we disagree on a lot of issues with this relationship but I think we can agree that most people in the US aren't thinking about this relationship, don't know who Charlene is or that something had to be done.
Does anyone in the US know anyone but Grace, Rainier? Maybe Caroline and Charlotte? Albert for being just the Prince.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Grace and Rainier are definitely known by an older generation as well as those in the States that follow royalty. I am sure, as already stated, the city of Philadelphia takes an interest in what goes on with the Monaco royals.

Caroline, Albert and Stephanie used to get a lot of press when they were younger and their love lives filled the pages. The engagement did get some minor press but honestly, I don't think most Americans could pick Charlene out of a crowd. Victoria's wedding got more press than expected. We tend to care about Grace and the British Royals.

So to say that most American know why this engagement came about is an interesting statement IMO.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Thank You. That's what I seem to see that Grace and Diana get a lot of attention in the USA. The rest of the BRF is talked about too.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

Absolutely Horseygal.

Monaco doesn't really attract a younger generation anymore. I don't see this engagement with Charlene to jump-start anything either. The main problem is the princely family of Monaco are not especially clever people, with Stephanie being the absolute worst. They always appear spoiled and lazy. Even the younger ones who are now in their twenties don't do much besides play on the beach and go to fashion shows. Caroline's current husband/ex-husband is especially known for being a drunk, urinating in public, and having very open affairs. None of them truly have any interst or capability to make Monaco great. They just coast along. There is no magic to Monaco anymore, Charlene certainly doesn't bring it.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Where has this "thing" come from that Charlene and Albert's engagement is suppose to jump start things?

I agree that the younger royals do very little, and I barely see Stephanie at all.

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship