The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
1. I'm not pro-monarchy, I live in the United States. I find monarchy interesting because we don't have any.

2. I don't enjoy following royals here on this site because I'm "dreaming about what I will never have". I follow royals here because it interests me and it's nice to have a place to talk about it with other people who are also interested in it. Yes, these people are fantastically wealthy and will never have to worry about paying bills or keeping a roof over their heads, but they also give up a lot in privacy and dealing with the paparazzi so in that respect....I don't want what they have. They are content to keep it.
Every now and then, we have to have someone come along and take a punch at royalty. If royalty doesn't interest a person, then why sign up here. Not everyone that is here, is here to fantasize about being a princess. For example, royalty is a political system that primarly made Western Civilization what it is today. Royalty is intersting from a cultural and historical perspective. Whenever I travel, I see villas, palaces, churches, etc. that were built by royals, knowing something about these families and the artists that they patronized helps one understand the art, architecture and history of a place.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, it is the history of the past that makes them in the least bit interesting. They invented themselves, with the biggest sword and the most power. Their extravagant lifestyles are always an eye catcher. There were Emperors in China long before there were kings in the western culture, so we didn't invest this stuff.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda Thomas View Post
Riches, One's Position whether king, President or heir/heiress to wealth, do not always bring happiness. "Happiness is an elusive thing few men/women seem to find it."
I would agree that wealth does not lead to happiness. It can only free one from financial worries, but nothing more. Also, great wealth in itself is a huge responsibility to maintain, and therefore becomes work in itself. A life with no responsibility, because one has money, is a total fantasy, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Yes, it is the history of the past that makes them in the least bit interesting. They invented themselves, with the biggest sword and the most power. Their extravagant lifestyles are always an eye catcher. There were Emperors in China long before there were kings in the western culture, so we didn't invest this stuff.
Really, all of world history is a history of royalty only till we get to the period of the enlightenment. But I think we are going off on a tangent from this thread's original topic of PA and his bride to be.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's because those were the people who might have been literate, as the clergy were. But you are right, wrong topic for this space.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
I don't find a thread of Charlene pics, so i post these ones i found here:

http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X134...uedubac.com%2F

http://www.diezminutos.es/var/dm/sto...it_galeria.jpg
google = the fashion spot charlene wittstock, lots of pictures there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarotonga View Post
I forgot which source it was but a lady spokesperson (perhaps for Le Figaro?) said that Charlene has prepared for this role as far back as 4 years ago? That statement makes it sound like Charlene was "prepped" or calculated the whole move to Monaco and snaring PA's heart. It makes it sound more like a job than falling in love with a person who happens to be a sovereign prince.
I remember reading Gwen Robyns biography, Princess Grace. Gwen said that Princess Grace had a very difficult first year as a new princess of Monaco. Grace knew some french but had to quickly learn palace protocol and study Monaco's traditions and customs. It was all foreign to her. It seems that Prince Albert was carefully preparing Charlene for her new role. This way, their first years together as man and wife would not be made more difficult by Charlene having to struggle with living in a new and different culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Being a princess is probably the most difficult job in the world.
Being a princess takes that amount of time, because it is a hard job, Albert was obviously thinking about her becoming his wife a long time ago, else why would she have this training?
Plus whoever this information came from, is probably just jumping on the engagement bandwagon and trying to get a story in there.

Let them be happy.
Princess Diana said that being the Princess of Wales was not unlike being the bride at every event she attended, so much attention was focused on her, so much was expected of her,no one would take their eyes off of her. One of her biographies quoted a friend as saying that after each engagement, Diana was completly exhaused, she had given so much of herself. I do not think that being a princess is easy at all. Not unless your father lost his crown and all you have left is a title.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Oh thank you for letting me know.
She must have converted before the engagement.
There is no confirmation of the conversion as far as I know ..... Pa said nothing of the sort.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
Why are people losing their marbles over this engagement? People are coming up with rather funny rationale for something that's beyond their control. Here are a few points people are forgetting:

1. Albert and Albert alone can choose a bride
2. Since he cannot marry his own sister, she was bound to take back seat to his wife at some point
3. His mother is dead and not coming back no matter how beautiful she was

Statements such as: "She knew it this her only chance to survive" or "he's a man who doesn't seem to be brave enough to fight for a true love ( if he ever had one )" are not only reaching, but rather dramatic and presumptuous. I don't wish to prevent people from expressing their opinions, but with all due respect, a simple I don't like Charlene and will her give her a vote of no confidence would do. Apologies if I sound too preachy.

I agree - Prince Albert would not enter into marriage if he was not in love. It is as simple as that. He has been with Charlene for about four years. He knows by now that she is right for him and for Monaco. And as for marrying his own sister - YYEECH. How can people say such things? (chimene was joking?) I am looking forward the wedding.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

All of the above is exactly the reason I now think Albert was clever to "groom" Charlene for what is ahead, rather than just giving in to pressure and criticism to rush her to the altar.

She seems very poised and at ease with her future role, and after four or five years in the wings no one can say she doesn't know what she is getting in to!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
All of the above is exactly the reason I now think Albert was clever to "groom" Charlene for what is ahead, rather than just giving in to pressure and criticism to rush her to the altar.

She seems very poised and at ease with her future role, and after four or five years in the wings no one can say she doesn't know what she is getting in to!
I think any person would be poised for the role of Princess when your clothes are layed out and all is done for you and you never have to think of work etc. except turning up to look pretty . Well how difficult is that?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
No, that would be too simple. Charlene is clearly a gold digger who pressured poor Albert into proposing so she could be a princess. I mean, just look at them! No love between them at all -- they look photoshopped together. Clearly this was a mistake.

^^People actually believe that, sadly.
If she came from money, would she still be considered a gold digger? Just because a woman is from an ordinary background does not mean that she is scheming and conniving if she marries well. I would believe that Prince Albert is not nieve when it comes to gold digging women. There are enough of this type of women that flock to palaces and places like Monaco. No, I think that Prince Albert really is in love with Charlene.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I think any person would be poised for the role of Princess when your clothes are layed out and all is done for you and you never have to think of work etc. except turning up to look pretty . Well how difficult is that?

I don't agree at all...there is a little more to being a Royal female than simply selecting the right clothing. Charlene has been coached by someone on how to walk properly, sit, stand, place her arms and hands while standing etc.

(When is the last time she was photographed with a cigarette for example...leaning over the balcony?)

Hopefully she has used these four years to learn some of the history of the Principality of Monaco, as well as France and Italy..and to to get a grasp of the French language.

Then there is the excruciating but necessary art of learning to make small talk..even with people that you find boring or dislike.

Just because something LOOKS simple doesn't always mean that it is...
Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

(When is the last time she was photographed with a cigarette for example...leaning over the balcony?)
Is there really such a photograph of CW with a cigarette leaning over the balcony? When? Where? I'm not questioning, just curious as to when this took place. Any photos would be appreciated. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarotonga View Post
Is there really such a photograph of CW with a cigarette leaning over the balcony? When? Where? I'm not questioning, just curious as to when this took place. Any photos would be appreciated. Thank you.
I think I may have the photos of CW with a cigarette leaning over the balcony. In this photo, it looks like she's taking a drag off Pierre's Marlboros. Is this the photo?

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...=monaco-9a.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a.../monaco-9a.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to post.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the one I saw was from the same event, but Charlene was sort of bent over, leaning on the balcony talking to Princess Caroline with a cigarette in her hand.

It was soon after she first came to Monaco..when the photo appeared in the "Albert and Charlene" thread let's just say it did not fill posters with joy, and leave it at that.

Charlene has come a looooong way.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
google = the fashion spot charlene wittstock, lots of pictures there

I remember reading Gwen Robyns biography, Princess Grace. Gwen said that Princess Grace had a very difficult first year as a new princess of Monaco. Grace knew some french but had to quickly learn palace protocol and study Monaco's traditions and customs. It was all foreign to her. It seems that Prince Albert was carefully preparing Charlene for her new role. This way, their first years together as man and wife would not be made more difficult by Charlene having to struggle with living in a new and different culture.

Princess Diana said that being the Princess of Wales was not unlike being the bride at every event she attended, so much attention was focused on her, so much was expected of her,no one would take their eyes off of her. One of her biographies quoted a friend as saying that after each engagement, Diana was completly exhaused, she had given so much of herself. I do not think that being a princess is easy at all. Not unless your father lost his crown and all you have left is a title.
My 2 cents: I believe PA will marry only once. I believe that is why he waited this long to get engaged. He was probably figuring her out after all this time. Grimaldis are like bees to honey especially to the vultures of the world. Just ask Caro and Steph!

I dont think she is a gold digger, she would have gotten herself pregnant and a nice arrangement if that is what she was after.

I think Albert and CW long ago had their honeymoon period and now decided to make it legal. I am sure he has grown to trust her in his life.

As for posters who thinks that there is no love because he dsent look at her or hold her hand. I think PA is shy in public to do those things- I am the same way-LOL
Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Courtier

Lets face it..Albert has had quite a few beautiful women on his arm over the years. One or two of them was probably marriage material but he chose not to marry them. Along came Charlene, not as glamorous as the other women (in the beginning), he must have seen something special in her, fallen in love that's why he is marrying her.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Courtier

An old saying is: "He (or she) who marries for money, earns it." One could easily swap "title" in for "money" and still be accurate.

Charlene W. has had ample opportunity to observe what she is getting into and I doubt she would have no means of financial support if she were not to marry Albert.

He has had many (many!) other choices, yet his considered decision is to marry Charlene.

I think they've both given it considerable thought and probably from angles that we haven't even imagined. I'm more than willing to say: "their decision, and much joy to them both!"
Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Aristocracy

First of all we should stop to make a comparison between Grace and Charlene.Grace came from a rich family. She had great background and a serious carreer.She was a capable candidate for the title. Maybe people didn't accept her because she was a an actress, a movie star.
Charlene has another past, another abilities and another chances. She will learn the necessery thing to furfill the duties. Maybe she is not a gold digger. I doubt she gets a substantial amount of money from her royal beau.

Prince Albert had many glamorous girlfriends. I think he didn't think seriously of them. He had a lot of time to make his decision. I don't know how much pressure Prince Ranier put on his son to marry someone. I also don't know that he accepted one of his ex-girlfriends.Unfortunately ranier is dead ( I liked him very much)and Albert gets some elbow room to make own choices. He doesn't need to deal with other's approval.I doubt he is in love with CW. They like each other , enjoy each other's company and can share the same leisures.Charlene gives him a 'comfort feeling.'Public wants to se him as a married man. With this marriage he can avoid this pressure.
I also believe CW will give a big freedom when they get married. Albert can do the same things that he did when was a bachelor.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Aristocracy

It is about time people stop equating Charlene to Princess Grace. Charlene could be Grace's grand daughter, decades have past. Prince Reiner has gone, Princess Grace gone, the old flamboyant Monoco gone. With Charlene being the New Princess as Albert's consort is a sign that a new ERA has begun. Let us turn the page and move one. Charlene and Prince Albert have to create their own Brand of Ideas.

Quote: Longfellow said Lives of Great men all reminds us we can make our lives sublime and departing leaves behing us footprints on the sands of time. MOVE ON. The best of luck to Charlene and Albert.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlibrarian View Post
Well said Zonks. I'm tired of the prejudices and unjust allegations against Charlene. Come on, give the girl a break! Why do people keep bashing her that she has no education and no proper job ? Princess Diana was not noted as academically brilliant. In fact she failed in all her subjects in 0 levels and took a job as a kindergarten teacher yet the public adore her. She married Charles after a very short courtship and nobody accused her of trying to marry title and money. The same can be said of Princess Grace. So what's wrong with Charlene ? She is not illiterate ; she worked as a youth worker. Why then is she accused of hunting for fortune and title . I think she looks fabulous --- always stylishly and elegantly dressed and carries herself with poise. None of the crown princesses nowadays are born to the role of royal duties. They will learn in time. We should just keep an open mind and be more tolerant.
Princess Diana was only 20 when she married Prince Charles. I think it is edident why she didn't have a degree. ( You are at least 22 when you can receive a collage or university degree)Charlene isn't so stupid, she isn't illiterate. However we could expect a royal consort could have one degree.
Nowadays it no obstacle of a royal wedding. Mette -Marit and Daniel Westling have a high school certificate. However I heard that MM took classes at the Oslo University.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

When Grace arrived in Monaco, she had seen the palace because she was there for the Cannes Film Festival. As some have pointed out, she came from a rich family, she had already had relationships with men, and she was a household name.

That was 1955, the post-war years, the cold war......

Nobody in their right mind would compare the past with the present in a case like this. Different times, different customs, different cultures, different politics ..... need i go on?

Forget "1956" - think "2010" !!

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship