Prince Albert and Princess Charlene's Relationship - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the answer isn't obvious. Have you ever had a conversation with her? Maybe she finds him funny, maybe she thinks she is in love (my idea of love in my 20's was a heck of lot different than what I thought about it in my 30's). Maybe for whatever reason, she has never felt security. Does anyone know what her relationship is with her father? Maybe she is insecure and Albert makes her feel good. Maybe she props him up and tells him he is a fabulous person. Maybe she makes him laugh. Maybe its not about what he can materially provide for her but what he does for her emotionally. I don't know the answers but do you? Frankly, it speaks for a lot of people that they are automatically thinking the worst without knowing anything about them as a couple.

Charlene wouldn't be the first young woman to marry an older man, and Albert isn't the first older man to marry a younger woman. They are both not new to the game. Again, who are they hurting?

Maybe I am naive but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt before automatically assuming the worst.

Well said, Zonk. Albert and Charlene's relationship has continued over eight years and there is obviously, something real at the root of it. One can not carry on a charade for that long... photos of them from the recent Red Cross Ball show that there is affection (some might even say passion) between them.

Why do so many jump to conclusions about these women marrying into royal families as opportunists? These women are actually giving up a lot for love- not everything they get out of these marriages is positive! ( lack of privacy, isolation from friends etc.). And- has our world become so cynical that no one gets married for real love anymore?

Prince Albert and Charlene advancement

:ermm:The reason protectorate was mentioned, the conversation was based on Charlene speaking the French language and the official langage of Monaco is French and this is why I asked if Monaco is a protectorate of France. Some one responed.

Thanks, Shelo, for pointing these things out. Apart from lack of privacy and isolation from friends, I would list the obligations of having to attend functions and personal appearances, even when one doesn't feel like it, or is "under the weather".

Well said, Zonk. Albert and Charlene's relationship has continued over eight years and there is obviously, something real at the root of it. One can not carry on a charade for that long... photos of them from the recent Red Cross Ball show that there is affection (some might even say passion) between them.

Why do so many jump to conclusions about these women marrying into royal families as opportunists? These women are actually giving up a lot for love- not everything they get out of these marriages is positive! ( lack of privacy, isolation from friends etc.). And- has our world become so cynical that no one gets married for real love anymore?
they have not been together for eight years all else he was involve with both her and Nicole since their son is only six years old i don't see how that was possible let us not add more sugar to the tea to make it taste right. p.s no one ask this women to give up anything they choose to live the life of royalties less work traving around the world giving specch and pose for media is not hard work let me know when they work 10hrs in a factory with no air condition and your boss is a jerk that is handwork and you cannot complain because you have to make a living , if they want out they could have married someone else so boo ooh that is life suck it up. living the life of money and free pass to anywhere in the world, any nanny at your door step all you have to do is look sexy and smile and give public speech,etc if all that is hard work then i wonder how the people in the 3rd world country feel or the poor family in Africa or Asia, America etc their kids and families that are trying to make a living feels...:whistling:

they have not been together for eight years all else he was involve with both her and Nicole since their son is only six years old i don't see how that was possible let us not add more sugar to the tea to make it taste right.

I see exactly how it's possible, they could have been on and off for 4 years, and then got together properly 4 years ago.

p.s no one ask this women to give up anything they choose to live the life of royalties less work traving around the world giving specch and pose for media is not hard work let me know when they work 10hrs in a factory with no air condition and your boss is a jerk that is handwork and you cannot complain because you have to make a living , if they want out they could have married someone else so boo ooh that is life suck it up. living the life of money and free pass to anywhere in the world, any nanny at your door step all you have to do is look sexy and smile and give public speech,etc if all that is hard work then i wonder how the people in the 3rd world country feel or the poor family in Africa or Asia, America etc their kids and families that are trying to make a living feels...:whistling:

Also Mathilde, Mary, Maxima, MM, Daniel, Letizia, Charlene and anyone else who has ever married into the royal family, especially married a CP has given up a normal life to be a royal.

They live their life infront of the media, especially in the UK, would you like it if someone was following you around all the time? Yes they signed up to this but that doesn't mean they like it.
Yes the could have got out, but then they would have been walking away from someone they loved, so why would they do that?

Royalty cannot act like millionaires, they can't fly off when they like, they can't demand the best of the best all the time. They work, hard for their titles so that their countries can respect. It isn't their fault they fell in love with a member of the royal family. If you asked Frederik, Felipe, Phillipe, Haakon, Victoria, Albert, Wilhelm-Alexander and anyone else if they would give up their life for their wives and family I am pretty sure they would.

Sometimes I think that people who say things like that, are jealous.

Their first contact was Mare Nostrum swimming championship 2000. Their first date was in June 2001 during the Mare Nostrum swimming championship. The interview she gave about their date was posted on the board and she said she lost his phone number. They reconnected at a New Years Eve party December 31, 2005 when he was in SA. His visit was posted in his current events thread.

p.s no one ask this women to give up anything they choose to live the life of royalties less work traving around the world giving specch and pose for media is not hard work let me know when they work 10hrs in a factory with no air condition and your boss is a jerk that is handwork and you cannot complain because you have to make a living , if they want out they could have married someone else so boo ooh that is life suck it up. living the life of money and free pass to anywhere in the world, any nanny at your door step all you have to do is look sexy and smile and give public speech,etc if all that is hard work then i wonder how the people in the 3rd world country feel or the poor family in Africa or Asia, America etc their kids and families that are trying to make a living feels...:whistling:

Of course that Crownprincesses are privileged, but to say that they work less is over the top. They don't earn that much money, and I think that poor families wherever they might hail from are the least to bear them a grudge, only some who mix them up with socialites/showbiz celebs/stars do.

Look, crown princess, lead charmed lives, but have their problems, too. They cannot be compared to people who have to earn a living. They don't. Everything they want is there. They do not have to get to a job to make ends meet. They do not work. Appearing at a banquet or cutting a ribbon or attending a conference in not the same as some who have to really work at difficult jobs. I don't think it is a grudge. Just realizing that some jobs are better than others.

Some people need to get in touch with real, real life. My God! Royals work hard and do not earn much money!!

they have not been together for eight years all else he was involve with both her and Nicole since their son is only six years old i don't see how that was possible let us not add more sugar to the tea to make it taste right. p.s no one ask this women to give up anything they choose to live the life of royalties less work traving around the world giving specch and pose for media is not hard work let me know when they work 10hrs in a factory with no air condition and your boss is a jerk that is handwork and you cannot complain because you have to make a living , if they want out they could have married someone else so boo ooh that is life suck it up. living the life of money and free pass to anywhere in the world, any nanny at your door step all you have to do is look sexy and smile and give public speech,etc if all that is hard work then i wonder how the people in the 3rd world country feel or the poor family in Africa or Asia, America etc their kids and families that are trying to make a living feels...:whistling:

I stand corrected- while Albert and Charlene's met in 2001, their current relationship began in 2005. Having said that, I believe that you have misunderstood my comment. I do not mean to imply that the life of a princess is, in ANY way, comparable to those in the world who live in poverty. I think that was quite clear in my post. What I did want to point out, as others have done very well, is that the life of a princess includes significant sacrifices. I personally believe that the lack of privacy these women live with must be very difficult. Every time Charlene steps outside, every single piece of clothing she wears will be criticized by thousands of people. She can no longer go out on her own, must mind every word she says and has to always balance her own personality with what is expected of her as a princess.

Think about Princess Mary- today was her first public appearance since the announcement that she was expecting twins. A crazy amount of photographers showed up to take photos of her belly and, if she is feeling anything like I felt during the first five months of my pregnancies, she probably would rather be in bed rather than dressing up and stepping outside. The cameras showed up today just to get a picture of her belly- how intrusive is that?

The life of a princess certainly does have some luxuries and I understand that. It can not be compared with the reality of how many in our world live and work, on a daily basis. But I think we have to respect the difficulties that these women live with every day. In marrying the men they love, they get a full time, 24-7 intense job. A job that comes with photographers that catch every single mistake, bad hair day or fashion error that you make. Most of these women are judged for their clothes instead of their character or their charity work- I do not think this would be an easy way to live.

There are privileges with being royalty but also costs. They lose alot of their freedoms. Charlene will be watched 24/7 by the paps. They love to wait for them to make a mistake and then the photo is posted in magazines and the net for eternity. You are critisized alot. If you are born royal, the ruler has to approve your marriage. They also basically control your entire life. It's in Monaco's constitution. If you abdicate or in Charlene's case divorce, you're made to feel like a traitor. You get kidnapping and death threats. You get stalked by crazy people. You're never left alone in your own home. When you walk out the front door there is always someone trying to get to you. I don't want to be poor, but I don't want to be royalty either.

Some people need to get in touch with real, real life. My God! Royals work hard and do not earn much money!!

You've said it! People often mentions that Riyals "don't work"...But to be a Royal IS a work! And some people must be amazed if they knew how much Royals actually works. They doesn't go to job every morning, that's right, but they works otherwise, and hardly! (well...at least, most of them does! :D).

And yes; they actually doesn't own too much money. Almost all they uses are NOT owned by them . These are State properties. As you knows, once a revolution is declared and Royals must leave their country, they losts almost everything they "had" and becames suddenly poor, or almost poor. If they have some jewels or money of their own who they can take out the country, they could quite make a living from them...but these are few cases.

If you've read some Royalty biography, you'll know that they work, and that their life is not a fairy tale.:cool:

Vanesa.

Vanesa: you have completely misunderstood my comment. I was being ironic about other people´s comments, I was too obvious. I do NOT think royals work at all. I think they are decorative figures with a lot of unjustified priviledges.

I cannot find the article --- but it stated that Prince Rainier did not approve of Wittstock which is why Prince Albert said in an interview that he wil choose the bride of his life only after his father is gone. Princess Grace was quoted MANY times as saying she wanted for her children to ONLY marry well-educated and well-bred Royals, preferably of higher title than their own. Prince Albert pursued CW after the standard period of mourning in Monaco. He had no other real business in South Africa at that time.

And as for "little pay for royals" ??? Civil List provides how much they get and what expenses can be paid for by the country. CW will get, as she probably already has been, a personal allowance, clothing/accessories budget, staff and perks within her duties. If she likes Pr. A's company and the life in Monaco, then she will not find this work as tedious as she might have. And she seems to invite friends and family to Monaco all the time. Lonliness will not be an issue for her as it stands. Also she will get a LOT LOT LOT of freebies of things from designers, etc who stand to gain when she wears their things.

In a Bunte article which I also cannot find, a fortune-teller, something Pr. Grace believed in, said that CW would not make it to the altar. Something bad would befall her before then. I'm glad she has been happy so far.

Evangeline

Coming back to Albert and Charlene....

Albert was used to the lack of privacy from when he was a small boy. Rainier didn't exactly help by giving him a uniform to wear......
Over the decades, he has learnt to balance his life between being inaccessible and gladhanding everyone he encounters as part of the job.

Charlene has had less of that while she was a swimmer, but since she started to live in Monaco in 2005 (or thereabouts), she must have been progressively aware of the loss of privacy. Looking at pictures of her with the inevitable bodyguard(s), she has been able to gradually attune herself to the Monaco culture of a large police presence for everyone, and a much more defined culture of being shadowed around the clock.

I suspect that PA would have schooled her gradually in all these, right from the start.
Despite all the women who have thrown themselves at him, it has taken several decades for him to find one who is willing to put up with his kind of life.

Let's be glad that he has finally found someone who can (I think) put up with the restrictions. At his age, he might not find another one.

Reigning Royals serve their people. I don't know if Royals want to see their Kingdoms flourish and manifest lands which were once ruled by them as in France and Italy or Germany. I feel they emphasize that they are a ruling entity that is beneficial and promising towards an ultimate better good. Personally I feel they do just that and try to relay how the lineage of continued inheritance of a once great legacy can steel find resolve and energy from the people they bestow their faith and attention to.

Personally I find them to be placed in a job that requires work and hard regard. I'm sure they want to promote a life full of prestige, possibly leisure, and options renown and favorable. But the World is vast and as is known, they are abled to contribute oh so much. I have followed the Royals through this forum and I feel their intentions for the public and/or masses are good and genuinely ethical and well spirited. Yes they can only do so much but I feel they would do more and more given opportunity and support.

It breaks my heart to realize that people in other places than the US, where I live, do go through situations where modernity has not enabled conditions to protect and stop human indignities, but I also feel that many countries are learning and taking advice from our more elevated stance. Therefore I hold faith and witness that things are getting better and we all are building towards a greater and more enlightened place. And, may I say, the Royals are contributing to just such a place through their means and efforts. I like them and they champion a regard that makes me proud. I support them thus and wish them luck. They may make miracles. You never know. They once ruled all the land. Now that is mighty and devine intervention. Cheers. :flowers:

I stand corrected- while Albert and Charlene's met in 2001, their current relationship began in 2005. Having said that, I believe that you have misunderstood my comment.
Actually January 1, 2006 would be the best date to use since it was a New Years Eve party. Documentation of his visit with a photo post 42
Polfoto 29-12-2005 Prince Albert of Monaco, centre red tie, leaves the Childrens Monegasque Educare Center in Khayalitsha, Cape Town, South Africa, Thursday, Dec. 29, 2005. The Prince signed a memorandum of understanding on improving childhood development institutions which has been sponsored by the Monaco Royal Family.

In a Bunte article which I also cannot find, a fortune-teller, something Pr. Grace believed in, said that CW would not make it to the altar. Something bad would befall her before then.

Let's bookmark this comment to look back upon next July- we can only hope this article is wrong.

I would take anything this magazine reports, with a large pinch of salt.

They exist to make money out of others' lives and problems.

Prince Albert has never seemed as happy or relaxed as I have seen him since the June23rd announcement of his engagement. He and CW give off a relaxed and very comfortable vibe with one another. They both appear more than content, and his pride in her is palpable, as well it should be.

I think they seem to care for one another deeply, and if they are not wildly, madly in love I agree with Zonk...SO WHAT??! I am very suspicious of couples who appear starry eyed with passion and can't keep their hands off one another at first..remember Joachim of Denmark and Alexandra Manley? Prince Andrew and Fergie?

Obvious physical/sexual chemistry did not help them...they flamed out quickly in fact. Because eventually, everybody has to get out of bed! ;)

There are several important reasons to marry. Maybe Albert and Charlene want to start a family and they feel they have enough in common to make a success of it? Maybe they comfort, understand and accept one another?

They are no longer in the first blush of youth, now is the time to go for it.

There is nothing wrong with a marriage of convenience. He gets his needs met and she gets her needs met, without a whole lot of nailbreaking. I'd like for them to have an heir. Perhaps Charlene would like to have a large family. The children would be well provided for, which is difficult to do as a single mother. There are all kinds of reasons to marry for convenience. All this talk about love is making me kind of puky (or is that puque in french).

Some really sage advice from you two ladies !!

The more I read of this kind of advice, the more I feel that PA and CW have nothing to worry about.

Zonk did make a strong plea (in so many words) for letting the two alone to create their own contented marriage, regardless of age, money, or the scrutiny of the whole world.

Anything we posters add to it is probably not worth the ink - or rather the characters on the screen.

There is nothing wrong with a marriage of convenience. He gets his needs met and she gets her needs met, without a whole lot of nailbreaking. I'd like for them to have an heir. Perhaps Charlene would like to have a large family. The children would be well provided for, which is difficult to do as a single mother. There are all kinds of reasons to marry for convenience. All this talk about love is making me kind of puky (or is that puque in french).

Many women marry for convenience. They prefer rich, famous men, even if they are old, and they are not in love. But you cannot insinuate that in the forum, because they will answer that you hate CW, and leave her alone, and give her a break.
Whatever her reasons are, in a few years we will feel pity for her.

I took the opportunity to read through the Danish thread on Frederik and Mary's engagement. In retrospect it is quite funny because comments about Mary were quite similar, and in some cases much worse, to what people say about CW on this thread and others here.
People called Mary cold, unsmiling, a shrew who gave up on love to snag a crown, a golddigger who set out to marry a prince, speaking with a fake English accent, sounding illiterate in both English and Danish, speaking very poor Danish for someone who had 14 months of private Danish lessons, unfashionable , unable to live up to Queen Ingrid's legacy. They also compared Mary very unfavorably to Princess Alexandra. They spoke of how obviously in love Alexandra and Joachim were and said they could tell from just looking at the pictures that while Frederik was in love with her Mary wasnt in love with him. Now 6 years after the marriage, Joachim and Alexandra are divorced, Mary is a fashion icon, people speak of how in love they look, compliment her on her Danish and she is probably the most popular member of the DRF.
It is quite possible that in 5 or 6 years from now we will read these old threads and say "God, what were people thinking, why the need for bashing". I certainly hope so. JMO of course.

The idea that you can tell how "in love" a Royal couple is by looking at photos is a fairly recent one...and at the risk of sounding like a snob it is also very bourgeois and silly. These are not showbiz personalities, they are Heads of State for crying out loud!

If you look at photos of many Royal couples like George V and Queen Mary and even more recent ones like Henri and Maria Thersa of Luxembourg or Pavlos and Marie-Chantal of Greece, you might be convinced that they are miserable together.

Yet all of the above were and are the most solid of couples...every couple has their own "style" together.

Pr. Albert now gets caught looking at CW in longer glances. He smiles more. She touches him all the time in public now which they had been restraining from for years except in darkened restaurants in remote places (pix in Suiss for example). They appear more in love after 5 years than most people I know who have been married. she must have worked hard to be at the point where she is comfortable getting married. I would just like to see how this goes.

Does anyone have a link to that Paris Match composite picture from about 10 yrs ago where they put together a picture of what they thought his future choice would look like?? She looks JUST LIKE what their psychologists predicted. I find that interesting!

Cheers all !!

It's nice to hear / see that both of them feel able to be more relaxed and open than they have ever appeared.

Perhaps the necessity to keep things under wraps may have made their times together more precious and exciting !

Pr. Albert now gets caught looking at CW in longer glances. He smiles more. She touches him all the time in public now which they had been restraining from for years except in darkened restaurants in remote places (pix in Suiss for example). They appear more in love after 5 years than most people I know who have been married. she must have worked hard to be at the point where she is comfortable getting married. I would just like to see how this goes.

Does anyone have a link to that Paris Match composite picture from about 10 yrs ago where they put together a picture of what they thought his future choice would look like?? She looks JUST LIKE what their psychologists predicted. I find that interesting!

Cheers all !!

ICAM...and they could not keep their eyes off one another at the most recent Red Cross Ball. They seem relieved, relaxed AND content now that the pressure is off.

I remember hearing about the Paris Match article but I never saw it. However, PA has a "type"...I always knew that if he married at all, the woman would be tall and rather glamorous, and on the athletic side. :whistling:

Cheers all !!

Albert is too predictable. Here you are:

More like Claudia Schiffer than Charlene.

CW doesn't have the magnetism of, say, Tasha de Vasconcelos or Claudia, but I expect she'll do well despite it :)

Back
Top Bottom